Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alexagon

Most visually creative/beautiful megawads?

So I just finished Japanese Community Project and holy hell was it gorgeous. It has some of the most creative level design I've seen in Doom, ever. Especially My fav and Hazama and the emerald level.

I'm looking for another megawad to go through that can also be considered along these lines of creativity. Of course I'd like it to have good gameplay too. JPCP set a pretty high bar tbh. Also, nothing too too monster heavy.

Ancient Aliens is quite the looker. Dark Encounters uses Gzdoom features to their fullest. Hellbound has huge gorgeous levels.

Of older wads, Hacx and Equinox spring to mind, even though they aren't megawads (just big multi-map pwads). Both contain some visually stunning levels.

One that was extremely promising, but tragically unfinished, was the one known as "Shitbag's untitled unfinished megawad". Doesn't sound too promising? It used to be here, but judge for yourself:

SCH322.zip

Epic2

Whitemare 1 and 2

Eternal Doom

Kama Sutra

Doom 64 for Doom 2

1 hour ago, elend said:

Oh yeah, Hellbound looks absolutely gorgeous, as do Winter's Fury and Putrefier. I also immensely enjoyed Enjay's Waterlab. Very atmospheric.

Alright so I tried Winter's Fury and I got stuck in the first level so that's cool. The part in the very beginning where the floor collapses was too small to let me through the hole so I had to noclip. Then in the next room with the broken door, there was literally nothing I could do. I watched a video and some cinematic is suppose to play but nothing happened at all. If someone could help me with this I'd appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Alexagon said:

Alright so I tried Winter's Fury and I got stuck in the first level so that's cool. The part in the very beginning where the floor collapses was too small to let me through the hole so I had to noclip. Then in the next room with the broken door, there was literally nothing I could do. I watched a video and some cinematic is suppose to play but nothing happened at all. If someone could help me with this I'd appreciate it.

Jumping and crouching are enabled in Winter's Fury. You'll need both of them on to get past the first area.

Mouselook is pretty much required too, unless you're a god with auto aim.

Edit: Also worth noting that Winter's Fury is not usually considered a megawad; it only has 12 playable maps.

Eviternity is a must play imho. Other visually stunning wads include:

- Ancient Aliens

- Valiant

- Epic 2

- BTSX E1 and E2 (they look extremely good for vanilla compatible maps)

One visually creative megawad I really like is Dark Encounters. It may not look as stunning as some of the stuff mentioned above, but it's very unique looking, considering it's a mix of zdoom features with vanilla textures.

I'd also recommend THT: Threnody tbh.

Yeah, maybe not as good-looking as the likes of Sunlust, DVII, Stardates or whatever, but I was pleasantly surprised by it.

1 hour ago, Lorenz0 said:

One visually creative megawad I really like is Dark Encounters. It may not look as stunning as some of the stuff mentioned above, but it's very unique looking, considering it's a mix of zdoom features with vanilla textures.

I totally agree with every word in that post. It's one of the very few WADS out there that has multi-platformed (floored) Maps. How this game didn't win or even receive an honorable mention at the last Cacowards is beyond me. I guess perhaps it was overshadowed by Payload4367's (Paul Dechene - same Author) Dark Universe.

Doomed Space Wars (by Paul Corfiatis) comes to mind on this subject. And both BTSX's.

Maybe not as visually striking as some of the above mentioned, but try Urthar's Dimension of the Boomed. A lot of beautiful maps that a fairly big, use a lot of Quake textures, and the gameplay is superb:)

9 hours ago, elend said:

Oh yeah, Hellbound looks absolutely gorgeous, as do Winter's Fury and Putrefier. I also immensely enjoyed Enjay's Waterlab. Very atmospheric.

winters, putrefier and waterlab are not megawads since they do not replace all 32 maps.

+1 for Epic 2, I hope for a third some day :)

I believe a project only needs 20 levels to be classed as a megawad. I know that both Darkening Episodes are under the /megawads directory of idgames, despite only having 22 and 24 levels respectively.

As for the question: other than those already mentioned, Whispers of Satan is almost consistently good looking. Kristian Aro's maps are particularly impressive. Don't get me wrong, Paul Corfiatis' are great too!

Both Scythe and Scythe 2 also have some gorgeous maps, particularly the hell levels. (I'd say Scythe X's are even more impressive, but at only 10 levels that's definitely not a megawad.)

Oops I went ahead of myself and ruinbros is just 7 maps. Well, I recommend checking it out anyway.

I had an utter soft spot for UAC Dead. It still looks pretty damn good to me nowadays. Deus Vult II is another I think looks amazing along with Whispers of Satan. Bonus points towards the Golden Souls series and Simon's Destiny.

On 5/10/2019 at 10:52 AM, seed said:

I'd also recommend THT: Threnody tbh.

Yeah, maybe not as good-looking as the likes of Sunlust, DVII, Stardates or whatever, but I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Sunder is the best looking slaughter wad I have seen and was original back when it was in progress in the 00s. I don't think anything surpasses it on abstract or colourful visuals to this day (imo) 

THT surprised me visually to esp from maps 15 - 20.  Hell Ground is another oldie with impressive visuals for 2009. Even Eternal Doom has some pretty impressive visuals, for 1997 it was ahead of It's time. + many more I can't mention in 1 post 

AlienVendetta-map10-inter.png.47777d8f1d90eb6d20e0a985537ce2f6.png

Obviously AV is full of noteworthy moments, but this is one scene that always makes me stop and take in how effective and atmospheric it is.

If you liked the JPCP, you might like Water Spirit, which is a PWAD created by Manbou (burabojunior), who designed some of JPCP's most visually impressive maps. It's even more beautiful than those maps, though it's also pretty hard.

Edited by northivanastan

Bloody Steel is two maps shy of a megawad but it's among the most visually impressive things I've played.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned either of the Back to Saturn X episodes yet. Granted, they're not full 32-stage megawads, but they come close and look fantastic, if not a bit overtly consistent from level to level.