Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vinnie245

Nightdive Teasing Blood

Hell yes, this is a great day for classic FPS fans! Blood was one of the most memorable games of my childhood, I remember my friend had it on his computer and I was blown away by the action and dark humor and I've been a fan ever since. Thank you guys for working hard on getting this out to us all, it's appreciated.

Wow, i was just browsing the GOG forums to see what people are saying about this new version and it seems that some people are already trash talking it! Like how it's not a true sourceport so they won't buy it. How it's not currently on Linux or Mac so they won't play it...How the walking/running is faster, the music is buggy, ect. Questioning why the original version has been taken away from the GOG store...

People are fucking mean. Like what the hell...I'm sure Nightdive will fix any bugs that game currently has (i mean this is only day one) in a patch. But not buying it just because it's not a true sourceport? Jeeze...Oh also "I NEED MUH LINUX AND MAC SUPPORT". FFS, get a copy of Win 7 or 10 and dual boot that shit for games, it's not that hard. I think Nightdive even stated that Linux and Mac versions are coming soon.

Also a VERY nice person on here messaged me and offered to buy me the game so i now own the game, even though i told 'em that they didn't have too (again, thanks alot i really owe you one :) The game runs great for me and as a "noob" to Blood, i find it to be really fun although it's definitely harder then Duke Nukem 3D. So i guess i found out what game i'll be playing for a while haha!

17 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

Wow, i was just browsing the GOG forums to see what people are saying about this new version and it seems that some people are already trash talking it! Like how it's not a true sourceport so they won't buy it. How it's not currently on Linux or Mac so they won't play it...How the walking/running is faster, the music is buggy, ect. Questioning why the original version has been taken away from the GOG store...

People are fucking mean. Like what the hell...I'm sure Nightdive will fix any bugs that game currently has (i mean this is only day one) in a patch. But not buying it just because it's not a true sourceport? Jeeze...Oh also "I NEED MUH LINUX AND MAC SUPPORT". FFS, get a copy of Win 7 or 10 and dual boot that shit for games, it's not that hard. I think Nightdive even stated that Linux and Mac versions are coming soon.

Also a VERY nice person on here messaged me and offered to buy me the game so i now own the game, even though i told 'em that they didn't have too (again, thanks alot i really owe you one :) The game runs great for me and as a "noob" to Blood, i find it to be really fun although it's definitely harder then Duke Nukem 3D. So i guess i found out what game i'll be playing for a while haha!

Its difficulty primarily comes from the bestiary. Blood has trickier enemies to deal with than Duke, overall, and some of them are notorious cunts too (Cultists), just like Shadow Warrior had the Shadow Ninjas who could instakill the player if they ever got a good shot.

I've seen the source port argument on Steam as well, and at this point, if they have no desire to give it a chance, there are alternatives, 2 actually: NBlood and BloodGDX. If you don't even want to look at it, then why bother talking shit in the first place? People have been waiting for an official remaster for decades, literally, and those people are going to support their effort. Perhaps it will never be 100% accurate considering that it's running on a different engine either, but then again, there are alternatives.

Taking down the DOSBox version was also only expected (like seriously, was there ever any doubt about this?). There was no point in keeping it around after FS got released (I think it has all the original files as well, while also being offered for the same price (at least on Steam), so it's literally a win-win scenario. Don't want to play the remaster? No problem, get the files and install DOSBox or the 2 source ports and play the game that way then).

55 minutes ago, seed said:

Taking down the DOSBox version was also only expected (like seriously, was there ever any doubt about this?). There was no point in keeping it around after FS got released.

From what I've seen FS doesn't include the map editor that comes by default in the original OUWB.

1 hour ago, tempdecal.wad said:

From what I've seen FS doesn't include the map editor that comes by default in the original OUWB.

I mean, on one hand I can understand the argument "it's missing some functionality", I gotta question how many people are still out there mapping for Blood. If you're still that dedicated, you'll find a way to do it.

I believe some people were disappointed they didn't get an updated editor that could potentially help bring some life back to Blood modding scene (no complaints from me personally, don't know much about Blood modding).

4 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

Jeeze...Oh also "I NEED MUH LINUX AND MAC SUPPORT". FFS, get a copy of Win 7 or 10 and dual boot that shit for games, it's not that hard.

maybe its because people dont want to shell out money for an OS...

30 minutes ago, kaleb. said:

maybe its because people dont want to shell out money for an OS...

Wasn't Windows 10 free for quite a while? I mean, they shoved it down everyone's throats for such a long time (i could be thinking of the free upgrade from 7 option). Also not to be "that guy" but...who pay's for an OS these days, just sayin'...

I got lucky with basically all of my OS's. My dad's friend is an IT tech at a hospital so he basically has OS's and older PC's (sometimes) so when my family needed an upgrade he just gave us XP and later Win 7 for free.

TBH, i don't honestly think MS cares about Windows 7 that much anymore if people just wanted to have that, although newer processors don't support it (on purpose of course). It's not hard to find copies of it though if you just want to play some games and keep using Linux as well.

I was mainly talking about people who just bitch and moan about Linux or Mac only support and won't use anything else. Hell, i'd try out some form of Linux or Ubuntu if there weren't so many different distro's. I wouldn't even know where to start.

20 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

Wasn't Windows 10 free for quite a while? I mean, they shoved it down everyone's throats for such a long time (i could be thinking of the free upgrade from 7 option). Also not to be "that guy" but...who pay's for an OS these days, just sayin'...

I got lucky with basically all of my OS's. My dad's friend is an IT tech at a hospital so he basically has OS's and older PC's (sometimes) so when my family needed an upgrade he just gave us XP and later Win 7 for free.

TBH, i don't honestly think MS cares about Windows 7 that much anymore if people just wanted to have that, although newer processors don't support it (on purpose of course). It's not hard to find copies of it though if you just want to play some games and keep using Linux as well.

I was mainly talking about people who just bitch and moan about Linux or Mac only support and won't use anything else. Hell, i'd try out some form of Linux or Ubuntu if there weren't so many different distro's. I wouldn't even know where to start.

Yeah, W10 was free for a long time, if those who cared didn't get in on time, well... And after how much they tried shoving it down on people's throats...

No, they don't care about 7 anymore. For a long time actually. They will, however, provide the opportunity of continuous support for enterprises after it goes EOL next year, but that ain't gonna be cheap. 200$ per year (and PC), and that price only goes up with each year. Not available for home users.

3 hours ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Maybe we'll get a new one down the road.

Edited by seed

13 hours ago, Immorpher said:

Descent is running within the Kex engine.

Do you mean Forsaken? Last time I checked, Descent hadn't been touched by Nightdive.

4 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Do you mean Forsaken? Last time I checked, Descent hadn't been touched by Nightdive.

Probably!

Just purchased this from Steam a few seconds ago. Cannot wait to play it.

In a French Doom board, I got complains about explosions being nerfed (and dynamite doesn't rebound on walls?), lags when saving and jump behavior being different than the original. Also one was unable to change their resolution any other way than through the cfg.

Do you guys have these issues?

1 hour ago, Kira said:

In a French Doom board, I got complains about explosions being nerfed (and dynamite doesn't rebound on walls?), lags when saving and jump behavior being different than the original. Also one was unable to change their resolution any other way than through the cfg.

None of them, but I also only checked to see how it works, and never saved. Jumping and movement seem a bit different but then the whole game kinda feels different anyway, since it's not the same engine. Didn't notice anything wrong with the explosions.

My only problems thus far are limited to:

- Game seems to crash or hang when changing the video render, then hitting apply. Screen just goes black and never recovers, needing to summon Task Manager and kill the game.

- Hitching/microstutter in OpenGL when using vsync. Gonna check the others and see how they behave.

3 hours ago, Kira said:

The explosions being nerfed might be related to the buggy difficulty in the original game, and the dynamite works fine for me. I've had a few crashes though. Plus two blue screens of death, which really does take me back to 1997.  Other than those and the slightly inferior movement physics, it plays great.  I like some of the opinionated changes as well, for example how the flare gun targeting seems slightly more forgiving and doors not being your deadliest enemies when opened from the wrong place.

Frendlier flaregun aim? It was already seeking anything on screen, Must be crazy lol. (Unless you mean fixing the bug where it hits below\infront of elevated enemies)

1 hour ago, holaareola said:

Plus two blue screens of death

That's hardware/driver failure, userland software can't do that even if it tried. You'll want to start inspecting your drivers and hardware. And I do mean that seriously, Kernel panics can be a symptom and precursor of serious faults like eventual hard-disk failure, that shit is not to be taken casually.

Edited by Edward850

I bought it today and am giving it a spin, I must say I'm happy that Blood has finally gotten an official remake. However a few small changes and oversights kinda keep me from rating it above BloodGDX. I know, boo let's not start with the comparisons, but hear me out. I'm not a purist by any means, so I don't mind the alleged tweaks to the AI which makes monsters smarter, and other changes in regards to movement and explosions which i think are more or less negligible, and a byproduct of the new engine. But I noticed from my experience playing it that the voxel casings always face the same direction when they hit the floor, the kind of unstable OpenGL and Vulkan renders(the ladder which just crashes for me), and what appears to be some problem with the sound attenuation? Like, in E3M1 there's this dripping sound you can hear coming from inside one of the buildings if you go up to it's main entrance, but in Fresh Supply you can hear it all the way from the spawn. Also the "minimal HUD" seems to be always locked in 4:3, and the first time I ran it I couldn't change the resolution for some reason(it worked fine the second time around, but it was odd and I feel worth mentioning). Last but not least, the Cryptic passage maps are just straight up broken for me. Lots of graphical glitches, and wrong textures showing up in places where they don't belong. I hear it might be something to do with not loading the .cfg files? I don't know, but it's kinda stupid and I know I'm not the only one who had that problem. On that note, I think Cryptic Passage should be incorporated into the main episode select menu like BloodGDX did. It also crashed a couple of times, which is a bit worrying.

But with ALL of that said, we live in the age of patches. Every single game seems to be bugged at launch but eventually gets fixed. Here's hoping Fresh Supply gets it's flaws ironed out. Even with all of this in mind, it just feels like justice has been done in a way with this coming out, and I still think that they did a bang up job getting out an adequate product that will surely make Blood a lot more accessible to newcomers. And the fact that they rewrote the netcode and added splitscreen of all things makes me immensely happy.

9 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

Wasn't Windows 10 free for quite a while?

It's still free. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 a few months ago for free. They don't advertise it, but because they had a clause that anyone who used Windows services due to a disability (blindness, deafness, poor vision, what have you) you could still get the free upgrade even after that original free upgrade period was over. Because they couldn't just discontinue updates to their disability software, and they have no way to actually check if you use those services. Because you can't ask someone to prove that they're disabled.

So yeah, as long as you have an authentic Windows install on your computer, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free. At least for Windows 7. I'm sure 8 is the same, not sure about XP or Vista, but if you're still using XP or Vista... why?

2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

That's hardware/driver failure, userland software can't do that even if it tried. You'll want to start inspecting your drivers and hardware. And I do mean that seriously, Kernel panics can be a symptom and precursor of serious faults like eventual hard-disk failure, that shit is not to be taken casually.

While you're right that it is technically the driver's fault, blue screens caused by a single application can also be a side effect of the program doing something illegal and a driver that fails to account for it. For example, I managed to blue screen my computer over 20 times when I was working on vulkan support for GZDoom until I figured out NVidia's driver did not react well to viewport/scissor areas going out of bounds.

If it happens with many different applications or seemingly at random, then I agree it usually a sign of hardware failing.

1 hour ago, dpJudas said:

While you're right that it is technically the driver's fault, blue screens caused by a single application can also be a side effect of the program doing something illegal and a driver that fails to account for it.

That's so rare that it's statistically improbable, from our experience. There was a brief time Vulkan would do that on Nvidia drivers a couple of years ago but that issue seems to be long since dead just the same.

1 hour ago, UNERXAi said:

Quick question, is the savegame bug fixed?

Of course, why wouldn't it be?

10 hours ago, seed said:

None of them, but I also only checked to see how it works, and never saved. Jumping and movement seem a bit different but then the whole game kinda feels different anyway, since it's not the same engine. Didn't notice anything wrong with the explosions.

My only problems thus far are limited to:

- Game seems to crash or hang when changing the video render, then hitting apply. Screen just goes black and never recovers, needing to summon Task Manager and kill the game.

- Hitching/microstutter in OpenGL when using vsync. Gonna check the others and see how they behave.

Yeah i have that same issue, although it did fix itself one time after i waited then hit enter again (don't know how it managed to show the screen again).

I also have issues with the music. In most levels i don't hear anything (and that's with CD music turned off). With it turned on it's the same thing. I don't even know if it's using MIDI music as i've never played the game before. It really doesn't sound like it tbh. So i hope a patch gets out soon ;)

I'm still messing around with the FOV as well. I usually don't adjust FOV's in games but the stock one just seems a little...off. So i just upped it a tad. Still messing with it. It's not a game issue though, just a personal preference. In Doom i never messed with it (if you even can) and in the Quake games i do remember upping it a little higher to adjust accordingly for my screen, but i'm having issues now haha!

Is there actually a way to play this without mouselook? Or does everyone play Blood with mouselook on? I couldn't turn the Y axis down past 10 in the menu. Maybe in the .cfg? I suppose it's more of a "why would you" since it works great out of the box unlike the original supposedly, but i just wanted to try it ;)

4 hours ago, Jello said:

It's still free. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 a few months ago for free. They don't advertise it, but because they had a clause that anyone who used Windows services due to a disability (blindness, deafness, poor vision, what have you) you could still get the free upgrade even after that original free upgrade period was over. Because they couldn't just discontinue updates to their disability software, and they have no way to actually check if you use those services. Because you can't ask someone to prove that they're disabled.

So yeah, as long as you have an authentic Windows install on your computer, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free. At least for Windows 7. I'm sure 8 is the same, not sure about XP or Vista, but if you're still using XP or Vista... why?

Oh that's neat! Thanks for the info!

2 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

In most levels i don't hear anything (and that's with CD music turned off).

Not every level in Blood has music. In fact there are more levels without music than there is with music.

5 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Not every level in Blood has music. In fact there are more levels without music than there is with music.

I always found this to make the game even scarier.

22 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

I'm still messing around with the FOV as well. I usually don't adjust FOV's in games but the stock one just seems a little...off. So i just upped it a tad. Still messing with it. It's not a game issue though, just a personal preference. In Doom i never messed with it (if you even can) and in the Quake games i do remember upping it a little higher to adjust accordingly for my screen, but i'm having issues now haha!

Is there actually a way to play this without mouselook? Or does everyone play Blood with mouselook on? I couldn't turn the Y axis down past 10 in the menu. Maybe in the .cfg? I suppose it's more of a "why would you" since it works great out of the box unlike the original supposedly, but i just wanted to try it ;)

Yeah, I initially tried to go big with the FOV slider but apparently things look waaaay too far away if it goes past 90, it made aiming pretty difficult for me (and gave me motion sickness). 90 seems to be the best so far. I think you can disable mouselook somewhere, but I could be wrong (3D aiming I know for sure).

By the way, are Cultists supposed to be so deadly on the third difficulty? The jump from the second one to the third seems to be pretty big in this case, I don't remember seeing this is DOSBox.

3 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Of course, why wouldn't it be?

Was a patch released?

32 minutes ago, seed said:

Was a patch released?

FS has had the Blood savegame difficulty glitch fixed since launch (by effective replacement).

I've played Blood many times, as well most usermaps worth a damn, and play its deathmatch mode almost every day. This is not an accurate port. It's as if whatever playtesters they hired haven't actually played Blood recently, or just didn't care if it's accurate. There are SO many little issues (impossible to list them all) that really add up to an experience that is outright inferior to the free fan-made ports already out there. Sad but true.

9 minutes ago, whirledtsar said:

It's as if whatever playtesters they hired haven't actually played Blood recently, or just didn't care if it's accurate

The play testers did actually play Blood a lot, as has Kaiser and I. What you get is what happens when you are required to disassemble an entire engine and are, in fact, only human. I don't know if it was your intention but your post has actually come off as quite rude.