Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bob Barker

GZDoomBuilder Wine Tutorial

There isn't much information about people successfully using GZDoom Builder on Linux via Wine. I wanted to let the internet know that yes, it does work.

Requirements

Instructions

• Install .NET 4.6.1 "winetricks dotnet461"
  • Install SlimDX "wine msiexec /i SlimDX\ Runtime\ .NET\ 4.0\ x64\ \(January\ 2012\).msi"
  • Run "winecfg" and set your OS to Windows XP. There's a bug related to saving/file locking (in the FileLockChecker.cs) and Wine.
  • Run GZDoom Builder Bugfix with "wine Builder.exe"
  • Set the font in the GZDoom Builder preferences, which will be missing by default and cause errors.

Limitations

• The "Play Now" won't work with your Linux binaries because it passes the temporary wad with a drive letter. It'd be a simple solution if GZDoomBuilder could be modified to allow passing of just the filename, without the path, and then the user can just have a static path in the Doom flags.
  • Minor graphical glitches

I hope this will save someone some time.

Edited by Bob Barker

I'm sorta posting by proxy, but some folks in a random Discord somewhere are trying to follow this guide and aren't having much success (GZDB-BF just doesn't start; no error message).

Which Linux distro are you running? That could make a difference, possibly.

It'd be rad if this is truly solvable -- I'm looking at buying a laptop soon and Doom Builder is the only thing that's stopping me from going Linux at this point.

I'm running Debian Sid. Here is my wine-related packages.

dpkg-query -l | grep wine
ii  fonts-wine                                                  4.0-2                                                    all          Windows API implementation - fonts
ii  libwine:i386                                                4.0-2                                                    i386         Windows API implementation - library
ii  wine-staging                                                4.0~rc2~sid                                              amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  wine-staging-amd64                                          4.0~rc2~sid                                              amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  wine-staging-i386:i386                                      4.0~rc2~sid                                              i386         WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  wine32:i386                                                 4.0-2                                                    i386         Windows API implementation - 32-bit binary loader
ii  winehq-staging                                              4.0~rc2~sid                                              amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  winetricks

Edit: make sure your WINEARCH/WINEPREFIX are using 64bit, if your WINEPREFIX is a 32bit installation a 64bit binary will not execute. Having mono installed in your WINEPREFIX might also cause issues (but would also create errors). My instructions should work with a fresh WINEPREFIX.

image.png

Edited by Bob Barker

Do you think wine-staging is essential or would Debian's wine package be sufficient (=4.0-2)?

I honestly have no idea, I didn't even try. I've had positive experiences with staging fixing issues in the past.

I couldn't get this to work on my Debian install but in my digging around, I found this PlayOnLinux script on the Zandronum forum which seems to work!

Well, hot dog on a stick -- this worked great for me (I'm on Pop!_OS, which is basically Ubuntu for all intents and purposes). Only some minor sprite rendering glitches in 3D mode, but performance is fine and everything's all functional. Now I just need to rebind all my controls, I guess... :P

Thanks for this!

On 6/10/2019 at 7:22 AM, Xaser said:

Well, hot dog on a stick -- this worked great for me (I'm on Pop!_OS, which is basically Ubuntu for all intents and purposes). Only some minor sprite rendering glitches in 3D mode, but performance is fine and everything's all functional. Now I just need to rebind all my controls, I guess... :P

Thanks for this!

Did you have to do anything other than the steps in the OP? I'm still wrestling with getting this working without POL (the fonts are knackered in PlayOnLinux)

EDIT:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GOT IT
I found this guide in Russian http://i.iddqd.ru/viewtopic.php?t=1651 which suggests a few extra bits to install through winetricks. I've also winetricks installed some stuff from the POL script I posted.

Anybody who is having troubles try the following:
Get the latest winetricks from here, instead of through your package manager.

Run the following ./winetricks d3dx9 corefonts d3dcompiler_43 dotnet461 gdiplus

Edited by rmgr : Finally got GZDoomBuilder working under wine after a good three weeks of messing around.

Wow guys, thanks for sharing, amazing work. I tried installing DotNet multiple times before (so I could use Mycrotchsoft Office for work) and could never finish the process. If memory serves, installing dotNet 4.5 requires that dotnet 3 and 2 are installed previously, but then the installation process for dotNet 2.0 would fail, which rendered the whole process to fail. Could any of you guys upload a Wine prefix that already has DotNet installed? (or even better if it had gzDoomBuilder already running on it, but that is the easiest part of it)

If you need to compress the whole Wine prefix to TAR.XZ while keeping all the symbolic links intact inside of it, use this command:

tar cJvf /destination/PATH/output.tar.xz /example/WineLocation/wine

I'm in Xubuntu 16.04

edit: when you compress a directory using the mouse right-click menu and clicking "Compress to...", all the symbolic links are turned into regular files, instead of keeping them as simple links.