Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hitscanning_scumbag

What is your weirdest irrational fear?

I really only have 2 fears. One is a house invasion and the other one (The irrational one) Is my ceiling coming down on me. Weirdest thing is that I'm not claustrophobic, in fact I'd actually say I'm more agoraphobic than claustrophobic.

I don't like driving at 77 mph. 76 and 78 are fine, as are most other speeds, but something about 77 just feels wrong. Yeah, plenty of time to think about crap like that when driving across the big empty spaces in the midwest.

Two fingernails rubbing together. Yeah, weird. I couldn't for years work out what this even was, but when I realized, it became less scary. Presumably while dreaming two fingernails rubbed together and this somehow translated into something far worse in dreamworld, creating an association that was much worse than it should ever have been.

And I'm scared of heights. Which must explain why I ski near cliff edges every chance I get, and always want to go up tall buildings. No reason things have to make sense, is there?

4 hours ago, Pegg said:

I don't know if I'd call it irrational but public bathrooms are a huge NO for me. 

That's not irrational. Public bathrooms are always a nightmare.

1. Going to a public rest area because I have no other options, last minute dropoff, and feeling like I'm being watched through the cracks. I keep my head down. I've heard that's where the lovemaking starts in those places.

2. When I take a bath or shower and my fingers rub. I have to have soap on them at all times until I can towel it all off. I'm weird. I guess that's the point of this thread

3. Wearing socks in shoes WITHOUT part of my sock stuffed between my big toe and the other four. Since I can remember wearing socks I've been this way.

4. Everything Else. Whenever anything is about to happen I have anxiety flashes that are rather extreme, especially when driving and I got kids in the back. I think that may be normal. But I'm not sure.

4 hours ago, Rhebiz said:

I really only have 2 fears. One is a house invasion and the other one (The irrational one) Is my ceiling coming down on me. Weirdest thing is that I'm not claustrophobic, in fact I'd actually say I'm more agoraphobic than claustrophobic.

I have that same fear when my kids jump upstairs and I'm down on the couch. The house is old. I mean, it could happen right?

Just now, dybbuk said:

I have that same fear when my kids jump upstairs and I'm down on the couch. The house is old. I mean, it could happen right?

Yeah. But for me its a really weird feeling, like I know its not gonna happen but, 'What if?"

I what if several things a day like I said in my first post. I don't know if it's anxiety or I'm just REALLY pessimistic to an unhealthy extreme. I mean I'll have daymares while driving about planes hitting me or the kids getting crushed by something if I make the slight wrong move. Like it all plays in my head and there is a series of events like final destination only worse usually, as I could fill a page with one event and its cause and effects thereafter.

I can't really think of any I have now but when I was a little kid I had to wear shoes when taking a shit. Somehow I felt vulnerable without them.

Oh, and when my car stereo's volume percent doesn't end in 5 or 0. I either go up or down to the nearest 5 or 0. It irritated my fiancé at first, but we both have our eccentric traits that are probably some sort of mental disorder and don't really mind.

EDIT: I tried to fix this by going to "43" but before the minute was up I couldn't stand it any longer.

1. Standing upside down outdoors. For some reason i fear that doing so will cause the entire world's gravity to reverse and i'll end up falling upwards into space.

Globes and atlases, especially Mercator projection maps. Something about Greenland being the size of the US comes off as really wrong.

I remember something that was posted on traffic and light poles when I was a kid. You know that picture of Jesus looking at you with light rays emitting from his exposed heart? Put that on the top half of a sheet of paper and at the bottom, write a screed about hellfire, burning and damnation with a thick font. Make sure to slope down and curve the end of each line next to the right edge. Now take all that and make a photocopy. Photocopy the photocopy until Jesus is perverted into some kind of horrible monster who's gonna deathray you with his heart for not following him.

I guess it's one way of putting the fear of Jesus in your heart, but I did learn something: If you're trying to convince people of something, that was the quickest method of driving people elsewhere.

When I was little I had many irrational fears, and some of them remain today although the fear effect is a lot lower:

-TV logos/idents from the 90's or older especially local ones (I'm from Chile). This is not uncommon and it can be explained, but it's still pretty irrational.

-Some classical music in major key, like Mozart's Andante or similar pieces. For some reason it makes me feel like I just died or something.

Mottephobia. I'm not scared of many things, spiders are fine, snakes, bats, dogs, pissed off people, you name it and I'm pretty much fine with it. But for some reason moths freak me out. I love butterflies, and I'll let them land on me without a problem. Ladybugs are fine, even flies are fine. But there's always been something about moths that just freaks me out. And it is an irrational fear. I won't freak out if a wasp, an insect that could actually harm me, lands on my arm, or crawls up my pant leg. But if a moth is flying around me I get extremely tense. 

I have a very vague memory of being an infant in a crib and some moths were flying around me, and I'm wondering if that isn't where it came from. I don't kill them, I let them go on their way, but internally I freak the fuck out when they get near me.

4 hours ago, Chow Yun Thin said:

Globes and atlases, especially Mercator projection maps. Something about Greenland being the size of the US comes off as really wrong.

Nightmare (Ittoqqortoormiut, Greenland mapped as the pole)

Dream (0 latitude, 0 longitude mapped as the pole)

Not really a fear but an irrational thought I get.

I restrain myself from thinking mean, dirty or inappropriate thoughts in close proximity to people, especially strangers. It's as if they may know my thoughts or hear them somehow.

7 hours ago, dybbuk said:

I mean I'll have daymares while driving about planes hitting me

Speaking of planes, sure enough I am afraid of travelling with them. Being paranoid, I simply fear terrorist attacks, and crashes, because well, there's plenty of chances to survive a car accident, a plane crash, on the other hand... Also, I sometimes fear that "people are out to get me", and other times being watched when I'm alone.

I think I have also developed anxiety or something like that after decades of endlessly being reminded by my parents to "behave, be this and that, and don't do anything stupid" and similar BS every single time I go somewhere. It has reached the point that when I'm going/travelling to a location I have never visited before I literally start feeling sick and can just feel my stress level going through the roof. Not a fear, I know, just some unrelated trivia. And well, I did say I am now a complete fucking disaster on an emotional level... I'm afraid I might never recover from this, unfortunately.

My phobias: Acrophobia, arachnophobia, claustrophobia. I especially can't stand not feeling any ground under my feet, even if I am, say, one meter above it. I'm also afraid of touching worms and certain insects, or be anywhere near them.

41 minutes ago, Chezza said:

I restrain myself from thinking mean, dirty or inappropriate thoughts in close proximity to people, especially strangers.

Know the feeling, I sometimes do that as well.

An ex of mine explained she had short hair due to her irrational fear of slipping in the shower, her long, thick hair clogging the drain and drowning.

I think after getting over my fear of spiders, I just don't have any fears. Then again, not like I go sky diving or bungee jumping or into active combat.

Getting banned :'(

And some insects like cockroaches, even if they are fake :O

37 minutes ago, seed said:

there's plenty of chances to survive a car accident, a plane crash, on the other hand...

You need to watch more Air Crash Investigation. The odds of surviving a plane crash are actually pretty good (c. 95%). And that, of course, is after you've "beaten" the incredibly long odds of being in a plane crash at all. Here's one article on that topic.

One of my favourite stats is that your chances of dying on a transatlantic flight are similar to your chances of dying every five miles you travel by car. The most dangerous aspect of flying is getting to the airport.

7 minutes ago, Grazza said:

You need to watch more Air Crash Investigation. The odds of surviving a plane crash are actually pretty good. And that, of course, is after you've "beaten" the incredibly long odds of being in a plane crash at all. Here's one article on that topic.

Considering how notoriously unlucky I seem to be when it comes to stuff that actually matters, even more so when it's life or death... I can already count myself among the victims.

7 minutes ago, seed said:

Considering how notoriously unlucky I seem to be when it comes to stuff that actually matters, even more so when it's life or death... I can already count myself among the victims.

You are alive right now, so it seems to be a great news in itself :-D

9 minutes ago, Kira said:

You are alive right now, so it seems to be a great news in itself :-D

True :D.

On 5/12/2019 at 9:20 PM, elend said:

That my phone accidentally falls in the toilet some day. :/

I used to always worry about that when i was younger, but instead of a phone it was with my Gameboy Color xD

I don't really know tbh. I kinda have this weird fear of being in a giant pool or sewer/pipe (or anything really, concrete though i think) and its filling up with rushing water and there's that little grate at the top with air and you can see the exit but you can't escape...so it's kinda like drowning but i'm not exactly afraid of drowning or the water itself.

It's more like i'm afraid of not being able to escape as it's a boxed in place (but i'm not claustrophobic either). It might stem from a movie or a scene or something that i may have seen on tv when i was a little kid. But plumbing and sewers and stuff always kinda urk me, and not just because it's usually dirty xD

Edited by CyberDreams : update