Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShadesMaster

Community Project - Switcheretic

Precisley. Episode 1 will have only SOME weapons, like the shotgun, machinegun, pulse rifle (weaker plasma) and, later, the rocket launcher.

Episode 2 introduces the proper plasma rifle, and perhaps the nail gun later on.

Ep 3, the super shotty.

As for monsters, it's very comparable to D1. Lost souls can be in the 2nd half of episode 1, however. Pinky Demons can be as early as e1m2, since hell knights can be in e2m3. DukeOfDoom has the right idea with the enemies seen by e1m8.

Arachnotrons can be used sparingly starting in e2, perhaps, as well as introducing caves, pain elementals, barons as normal baddies and the like.

Revenants, e3 all the way. If not this, than a similar progression as Maulosiarch suggested. But a gradual progression, for sure!

On 4/8/2019 at 3:26 AM, DukeOfDoom said:

So, should the enemies of the first episode consist of mostly zombies, imps and lost souls/fleshspawns rather than demons? And what about spectres?

What I like about Heretic, is that the ghost versions of already existing enemy types didn't show up until about 2 or 3 levels later - they really did make it seem like it was the "boss of its own type," so one realises that they aren't simply variants, but an actually designated tougher version of the standard version. Hence I think Spectres should turn up towards the latter end of the first episode - and to keep the Heretic homages coming - perhaps have a great big outdoor area swarming with them (Spectres) in the secret level, which is the same as what Heretic did for The Graveyard.

As for having only lower tiered enemies used exclusively in the first episode - why not? Both the first episode of Doom and Heretic did this, and most people think these episodes were the best episodes of their respective games. I think that is what made both games so magical (and why I think Doom 2 misses the mark entirely) - they did such a great job with difficulty, without resorting to simply cramming as many strong monsters into a single area to create tension, rather than do it through the atmosphere of the game, which is what the original developers did.

Edited by maulosiarch

Agreed on all accounts! This map pack strives to be clever with the gradual introduction of critters, so keep the ideas coming. These will become almost like Romero's level design rules (change floor texture only with floor height, borders, landmarks)... but also with specifics as you've mentioned above. :) :)

I really like the idea here, definitely going to be playing this one when it’s finished.

Might I suggest the name “Switcheretic”? Having the “her-her” in the title back to back is kinda weird both visually and phonetically.

Keep up the fine work!

Nice, gonna give it a whirl!

EDIT - played through it, everything one could want in a switched-over remake. Keep up the good work, Duke!

Edited by ShadesMaster

Well, I decided to give E2M4 'Azure Labs' (E3M3 Azure Fortress) a shot, and it's mostly done! I mainly did the architecture, really, but I'll call it a night and finish it off tomorrow with monsters and such. So no upload, but screenies!

switcheretic2m4a.png

switcheretic2m4b.png

switcheretic2m4c.png

switcheretic2m4d.png

switcheretic2m4e.png

switcheretic2m4f.png

I haven't had as much time to work on this as I'd like (mainly due to an imminent house move), but I'd say E1M2 is around 33% complete with most of the southern and eastern areas of the map done. Here's some current screenshots:

QAx9hLM.png

FazrVFj.png

XBse59l.png

vTBfNpq.png

EDIT: I noticed one of the new textures seems to be a bit messed up, so I took the liberty of creating an improved version:

6ktPmkl.png

Edited by NiGHTMARE

Yes, work is still being done on this. If I'm keen on releasing a demo, than I'll simply gather what everyone has and release THAT. :D :D

Nightmare's E1M2 is all I need, as far as I know, to do so.

I'm going to be pretty busy with RL stuff for at least the next couple of weeks (finally moving into my new house this Friday!), but once everything settles down I'll make sure this project is a priority.

I noticed that on 05:03 mark of the video, the door tracks and the ceiling have a wrong name textures, I guess. If the checkboard textures aren't intentional...

I think I'm a little confused. Are these Heretic map layouts with Doom's textures, enemies & monsters?

"When it's done," though after ppl finish / submit just a few more levels, I can have a 'demo' release. The missing textures are already fixed on my end, too. Yes, Hereric layouts with Doom stuff. Glad ppl like it!

Are there any more spots open? I'd like to take E2M8 and/or E3M7 if so.

Edited by Rhebiz

No problem - remember that you're taking the corresponding episode THREE maps from Heretic and putting them into DOOM'S episode TWO. :D

Yep. That's because Heretic and DOOM had their 'hell' episodes reversed. So since Heretic's 'hell' was episode 2, those levels become E3 of DOOM. It's ironic since I find that doing this aligns the levels quite nicely, naming and otherwise. Imagine D'Sparil's Keep, but with the green pillars as found in the cyberdemon level. And the start area has 4 teleporters, not unlike the 4 doors of DOOM'S E2M8!

And with SIGIL officially out, there is a possibility to do an EP5 of Heretic with cryptic drawings everywhere. But we need to finish the original 4 episodes first.

Could I possibly do the E1M3 replacement/recreation, even if I have no sort recognition in any doom-related forums?

Hi all, apologies for not posting an update a while. I've been suffering a lack of both free time and inspiration over the last few months, but things have finally calmed down and I now have rough plans in my head for the rest of E1M2.

Here's a link to everything that's been done so far. As you can see I haven't started placing any monsters yet, and items have only been added to the central, southern, and eastern areas. Detailing is pretty much complete in the existing areas, with the notable exception of the monster closets in the southeastern area and the big nukage room in the west.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/52oautq2vwvx8wh/SHE1M2.WAD/file