Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maser

Plutonia

1 minute ago, leodoom85 said:

What I'm saying is, Plutonia set some of the standard rules for future map creations, even today...

You could say it was pretty much a game-changer.

This slaughter map banter is very reminiscent of my short time in the Dark Souls community where everyone knew which was the best build and everyone else was playing the game wrong.   

5 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

So basically you played "registered Doom" (aka EP's 1-3), even though you were using the Ultimate Doom IWAD ;) You should play the rest of 'em at some point, or at least try 'em. EP 4 is a lot tougher though, especially coming straight off of EP 3 as it was made/came out after Doom 2 (i'm sure you already knew this though).

Yup, that's exactly what I did. :P I started maxing my way through the 2nd episode last night. I can max episode 1 with no saves. TFC is definitely a pain in the ass at first. Lots of monotonous cacodemon battles. The level design is brilliant though.

1 hour ago, NerdyButLazy said:

TFC is definitely a pain in the ass at first. Lots of monotonous cacodemon battles. The level design is brilliant though.

Past E4M2 you should feel better. E4 has a very wonky difficulty curve and saveless is probably going to wall most people who aren't decent at pistol start on the IWADs. Someone had a proposed shuffle for the maps recently and it made much more sense.

I personally wish E4 was consistently difficult, E4M2/E4M6 style. This is by the way something I think Plutonia manages pretty well. Most levels are fairly equal in difficulty in my opinion, so once you are accustomed to the WAD's style, it's all between you and the new layout.

9 minutes ago, UNERXAi said:

Imagine thinking Go 2 it is a relaxing map

It feels pretty good.

Spoiler

Those cyb rooms though.

16 minutes ago, Kira said:

It feels pretty good.

Reveal hidden contents

Those cyb rooms though.

I agree with that. When I finally beat it pistol start, it does feels good. Dunno if it gives me any "slaughter-cred" though.

3 hours ago, Maser said:

This slaughter map banter is very reminiscent of my short time in the Dark Souls community where everyone knew which was the best build and everyone else was playing the game wrong.   

If everywhere reacts the same negative way to you then I have some "bad" news for you.

Just because something is easier than what came later doesn't banish it from the genre. A slaughter map doesn't have to be oppressive to count as one.

32 minutes ago, Doominator2 said:

Hunted is a well designed map

That's my personal favorite Plutonia map even though this last run I was having some issues with the doors.  What's funny is I'm a part of a Doom group on Kik and I commented on Hunted and someone made a comment back about the music on that map which I didn't really notice at first and now I can't help but notice it.  Poor bunny! 

15 minutes ago, Maser said:

someone made a comment back about the music on that map which I didn't really notice at first and now I can't help but notice it.  Poor bunny! 

I get the feeling you (or DOOMguy even) are the bunny here.

7 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

I get the feeling you (or DOOMguy even) are the bunny here.

The first time I thought the music choice was genius because of that. Since then I've grown fond of the music wad, so I guess it will stay a memory.

21 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

Then massacre = monster numbers so the map has to have atleast 500+ monsters to make it slaughter. People took the term out of context and nobody bothered to correct the context.

what i see in slaughter maps tends to be a mixture of these attributez

-large numbers of monsters once, often in places where they restrict much of the map by blocking the player

-very difficult, if you don't have a proper route or very high skill/RNG luck

-power up rushing and speed killing monsters is more effective than trying to avoid damage (except from cyberdemon)

when i play go2it, these gameplay aspects are what stand out the most to me, which is reason i'll always call it a slaughter map

any way i have question: would you consider hell revelaled to be a wad with little or no slaughter maps? (its been a while since i played but i don't remember there being many levels with that many monters) and on other hand, would you say that a map with 501 teleporter-linked rooms which each contain 1 imp is a "slaughter" map? (or, to use less absurd example, a very long map, with doom 1 style layout and encounter design which only exceeds 500 due to its great length).

any way, most people (including myself) don't have a concrete define for "slaughter map", but we tend to know one when we see it.

so, in the end, you probably will not get any where if you try to set a limitation on what this sort of map is or isn't, when the people you talk with do not have obvious boundaries between a slaughter and "regular map" in the first place :p

On 5/15/2019 at 2:07 AM, Maser said:

No it's not

I see Map 32 more as an early prototype of what would eventually become "slaughter". If I was unaware of Go 2 It and it randomly popped up in some modern slaughter wad, I'd be left scratching my head as to why it was there. It's pretty tame by today's standards.

As far as Plutonia itself, I didn't like it at first (my opinion was probably voiced in at least one of the other hundred-thousand threads). As I've gotten more familiar with the wad (and better as a Doom player) it has grown on me.

I think we all pissed ourselves a bit as soon as we saw that wall of Revanants open up in Go 2 It for the first time.  :D

Nay, as I've checked Go2It long after I first played slaughter wads.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:17 PM, Maser said:

I think we all pissed ourselves a bit as soon as we saw that wall of Revanants open up in Go 2 It for the first time.  :D

Lol yeah that part's hilarious 

I only played through Plutonia once and I didn't go to the secret levels. Now after reading this thread I kinda want to. Guess I'll have to play it again, then.

7 minutes ago, Rathori said:

I only played through Plutonia once and I didn't go to the secret levels. Now after reading this thread I kinda want to. Guess I'll have to play it again, then.

Plutonia is always worth a replay, I'd say Go 2 It!

The cool thing about the Plutonia secret levels is there's no ridiculous bullshit you have to do to find the secret exit.  It's almost like that IWAD wants you to find them levels.  ;)

I never got into Final Doom but a couple months ago I saw some tatsurdcacocaco video or something that piqued my interest.

Save-scummed my way through UV until Map 15: The Twilight, at which point I gave in and went back to my trusty Skill 1. 

Awesome level set. I wish I hadn't waited this long. I did end up finally finishing Map15 in UV

Maybe one day I'll be one of those folks who pistol-start UV through it as a yearly tradition.