Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FanTazTiCxD

Slenderman-inspired DOOM horror-wad that will make you go "nope"

Warning: If you are looking for a big and beautiful map that has been worked on for several months, with a lot of details, go find another thread, because this isn't the kind of map you are looking for. However, if you enjoy seeing something unique and creative, and you like to see how you can take advantage of the possiblities in doom builder to create something different than what you normally see, maybe this is a map for you.

Download link: https://gofile.io/?c=diKCPB

To play, drag the file Haunted-Halls.wad into GZdoom, and choose to play through Doom 2. This map replaces MAP01

image.png.9324204dacade0528e897914eb33a8a3.png

image.png.5e798c2e2642b12b769d6990e0402cd3.png

image.png.a94df71e721cfdf6a523977f2f303ad8.png

This WAD has a horror approach inspired by the famous horror-game Slenderman. You will definitely NOT like playing this WAD. At least you shouldn't. Cause it's very unsettling and uncomfortable. You never know what awaits in front of you. It's like you can stay where you are and let death come to you. Or you can run right into the arms of death. Your choice.

The halls are repetitive, I know. I didn't have time to make every room different, so I basically copy & pasted to save time, since I am busy guy who also study. In reality I don't have time to make doom WADs, but I couldn't resist making this one.

Your job is to find the three keycards, and return to where you started, so you can finish the level. But you are not alone.

* DO THIS WHEN THE LEVEL STARTS: Open the commands, type "turbo 50" and then press 'enter'. If you give up and you can't beat the map like that, you can try without doing this.

* Turn off all lights in your room. This level is pretty dark.

* There's a lite amplifying kit in this map. If you find it, you'll be able to feel a little less uncomfortable for a while. Hopefully.

* Turn off in-game music for this one

* Use headphones, you chicken!

* Since this is a horror-wad, it obviously has some unsettling loud sounds, (just like in horror movies) but there are no jumpscares

* Play on Ultra-Violence for an extra twist of horror

* Your objective is NOT to kill all monsters. That's pretty much impossible. You just have to finish the level

* If you are confused about the music, it is there to give this level a melodramatic feel of depression. It adds to the horror-effect in my opinion. Tell me what you think

I would love to see anyone playthrough my map if they record the gameplay! :D

Edited by FanTazTiCxD : Updated link

This is one level and it's almost 400 MB? That's gonna be a pretty hard no from most folks, I'm afraid.

Out of pure morbid curiosity, I cracked open the WAD in Slade to see what on earth could make a single map file so big. 

The answer... two identical 150Mb WAV files that appear to be a low quality copy of an Enya song.

The rest of the filesize seems to be mostly uncompressed nonsense sound effects.  In all likelihood this is just a troll wad and can be safely ignored.

400MB. I'm a little confused here. Help me out. Was this a serious wad? Or more of a terrywad or a troll wad? It doesn't have a picture of SOMEMONG or refer to 'ass', which is mandatory for a terrywad, but it does have some terry-ish aspects to it. The map concept is OK. Running through very long, very dark hallways looking for three keys while trying to avoid three teleporting AVs. With no weapons. You get a Chainsaw on UV, but there's an additional twenty-six teleporting Spectres for fun. There's also a Boss Shooter, but that's just to play the music (DSBOSSIT). And that's the biggest problem. The map itself is only 2.5 MB. All the rest are sounds in wav format, none of which are necessary. Note: do NOT use headphones. The replacement AV sounds are painful enough without them. The DSBOSSIT music is a 146MB wav file. And you have it in the wad twice. The rest of the sounds are mostly Nintendo/Cartoon/MouthSounds. I can't think of a legitimate situation where a dying Spider Mastermind would scream "Allahu Akbar", or your BFG yell "Yeah, Boy!" when you fire it - hence the terry-ish aspects. I had to see, so I spent a few hours converting all the wav sounds to ogg (after deleting the three duplicates). I got the wad down to 64MB, 44 of which is DSBOSSIT. Still way too big for the amount of gameplay you get.

If this is an attempt at a serious wad, then here: https://www.audacityteam.org/ . Great for converting sounds.

Let me make some things clear:

The map is 400 MB's because of the sound files used, one of them which is a song. a lot of the sound files do not appear in the map, because I took them from another sound project I was working on. For example, I had replaced the spectres sounds already in a previous, and I wanted to use the same sounds in this WAD, so I just saved some time by importing all the sounds, instead of choosing the specific sounds that we used in this map. I will try to compress them next time, so that the size of my WAD because smaller. Advice taken.

It's not a terry WAD or a joke wad. The song is used to create a spooky and melodramatic atmosphere as you progress through the depressing halls of death. And since this is a horror WAD, of course there will be some loud sounds here and there, from the arch viles, but there are no jumpscares. The only thing I know I would definitely have inproved even though I didn't get around to it, is the loud custom sounds from the chainsaw

I tried it myself, and to me, this is a pretty scary and uncomfortable horror wad indeed, that is actually mostly difficult to complete because it's too creepy rather than being hard

guys, don't be so quick to judge ;-) It's just a different approach to map making

Edited by FanTazTiCxD

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

Out of pure morbid curiosity, I cracked open the WAD in Slade to see what on earth could make a single map file so big. 

The answer... two identical 150Mb WAV files that appear to be a low quality copy of an Enya song.

The rest of the filesize seems to be mostly uncompressed nonsense sound effects.  In all likelihood this is just a troll wad and can be safely ignored.

I didn't know there were two identical versions in the WAD file. My mistake. But the sound file is not in a low quality. At least not when I play the map. And I wouldn't call the rest of the soundfiles "nonsense". It was an attempt to be creative, so... You are too quick to judge. It's not a troll wad. This is a serious attempt to create something that can give you chills inspired by the game Slenderman. If you haven't tried my map yet, I think you should. 

and by the way, advice taken for next time I use sound files, to compress them. I will look at that.

1 hour ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

The rest of the sounds are mostly Nintendo/Cartoon/MouthSounds. I can't think of a legitimate situation where a dying Spider Mastermind would scream "Allahu Akbar", or your BFG yell "Yeah, Boy!" when you fire it - hence the terry-ish aspects. I had to see, so I spent a few hours converting all the wav sounds to ogg (after deleting the three duplicates). I got the wad down to 64MB, 44 of which is DSBOSSIT. Still way too big for the amount of gameplay you get.

Well, those custom sounds add a bit of humor to it, think of it this way :P

also think of the song as a theme for the map. It's supposed to give you that chilling melodramatic feeling of depression while being hunted down through the dark halls

And would you mind sharing a link with me to the 64MB version of this map? Then I will replace it with my 400MB link in the original post.

I will definitely try to compress my sound files next time. Thanks for the advice

43 minutes ago, FanTazTiCxD said:

Well, those custom sounds add a bit of humor to it, think of it this way :P

So is this supposed to be an unsettling horror wad, or a rollicking adventure in hilarity with yelling weapons and Muslim spiderdemons? Because these things really do not fit together. It would be like playing Amnesia: Dark Descent and the monsters are all singing old Billy Joel hits.

48 minutes ago, JudgeDeadd said:

So is this supposed to be an unsettling horror wad, or a rollicking adventure in hilarity with yelling weapons and Muslim spiderdemons? Because these things really do not fit together. It would be like playing Amnesia: Dark Descent and the monsters are all singing old Billy Joel hits.

Hehehe... Well, it's supposed to be an unsettling horror wad. And there are no spiderdemons in the map. So you won't hear that in the map. (LOL I can't stop laughing at "muslim spiderdemon" :D

And a lot of other funny sound effects also can't be heard in the map. So it's an unsettling horror wad, with a few funny sounds to give you a quick laughing relief, I guess. But honestly the only funny sounds you get here is the powerup super mario sound, the picked up a key message, and the death sound of the player. I don't personally think that those few deviations changes the fact that this map is still creepy and unsettling. But I accept your criticism

Get Audacity if you want to compress the audio yourself, try to include only the stuff you're actually using, remove the garbage files and zip your wad.

Wav files are obsolete in this current time, ogg or flac are the way to go. Remember that.

23 minutes ago, Gothic said:

Get Audacity if you want to compress the audio yourself, try to include only the stuff you're actually using, remove the garbage files and zip your wad.

Wav files are obsolete in this current time, ogg or flac are the way to go. Remember that.

I was already using Audacity to create the files, but I didn't know that other files than .wav was accepted. And I also didn't get my thoughts around how big .wav files could be. That's why I didn't think too much about importing all the unused sounds from my other sound project into the wad too. I will remember this in the future.

Anyways, enough about file size, who have actually tried my map, and what is your impression?

Edited by FanTazTiCxD

You know, it's quite annoying when you get a notification that someone posted in your thread, and you are expecting that they have something to say about your map after trying it, and you are looking forward to hear their experience with it... and then it's just someone mistaking you for a troll, without even trying the map...

In all seriousness, I am not trolling. I don't know what's up with you guys... I made a serious effort to actually come up with something I thought was creative and unique, and all I get are people thinking that I am trying to troll them. I can take criticism, and I can take advice, but for the last time, this is a serious attempt at creating something for people to have fun with. I am not trying to troll anyone.

And by the way, I took your advice, I have improved the WAD, so that there are no silly Nintendo sounds, and replaced them with something more authentic and fitting to the theme of the WAD. I also removed the unnecessary sound effects that weren't used anyways, and I have managed to shrink the file down to 171 MB's. I know it's still a lot, but the wad doesn't have any flaws because of the file size. It only takes longer to download. The new smaller file has been updated in the original post.

Now can someone who has actually tried playing my map actually comment on it?

On 5/15/2019 at 4:00 AM, HAK3180 said:

This is one level and it's almost 400 MB? That's gonna be a pretty hard no from most folks, I'm afraid.

The reason it was 400 MB's is because of custom .wav sound files that are used, and I didn't know it was possible to compress them. I have now managed to shrink it down to 171MB's and updated the download link. I know it's a big file, but the map itself doesn't have any flaws because of this. It only takes longer to download. And you can delete it again after playing it, if you don't want it to take up storage space on your computer. So, are you interested in giving this a try, or will it be a no from you? :-)

17 hours ago, FanTazTiCxD said:

You know, it's quite annoying when you get a notification that someone posted in your thread, and it's just someone mistaking you for a troll.

I made a serious effort to actually come up with something *I thought* was creative and unique.

I have managed to shrink the file down to 171 MB's. I know it's still a lot, but the wad doesn't have any flaws because of the file size.

Yea well, welcome to doomworld and doom modding, where everything was done before you've joined, there are thousands of maps that look and sound better than yours. People simply have something better to do, than to review every single bloated wad not either imbedded in post nor uploaded to mega and google. We actually get a lot of those.

Thats why presentation matters, and you failed at it. You say the wad has no flaws and yet you say in your post:

On 5/15/2019 at 12:01 AM, FanTazTiCxD said:

The halls are repetitive, I know. I didn't have time to make every room different, so I basically copy & pasted to save time

What should we believe in then? Your whole attitude towards the map kinda shows that you didn't put any care or effort into it. Slacking off, like having two identical "wav"s in your wad and copypasting entire rooms, demanding people to take your work serious when you yourself can't by adding *Copyrighted* soundbits in the first place and trying to joke around in the post, it's all there and those are really big flaws. I didn't even have to play your wad to find that out. 

There is no way your are not actually trolling.

Edited by Pooh

"Yea well, welcome to doomworld and doom modding, where everything was done before you've joined, there are thousands of maps that look and sound better than yours. People simply have something better to do, than to review every single bloated wad not either imbedded in post nor uploaded to mega and google. We actually get a lot of those"

I have seen several newbies posting their maps here, getting useful and constructive criticism by experienced players who tried their map and are willing to help them get better and improve their maps, so this is not entirely true. And your definition of "better" is your own. Everyone have different opinion about what's good and what's bad. For example, in my opinion, a map doesn't have to be full of details and many months of effort to be good. A good map can also be about the idea behind it being creative, even if it didn't take much effort to complete it. I personally enjoy maps by people who were just fooling around in doom builder and came up with a funny idea about thousands of arachnotrons attacking a Spiderdemon to see who wins, or something. It doesn't take much effort to make something like that, and I would personally enjoy trying maps like these. But unfortunately people don't post maps like this here, because doomworld apparently has this certain 'standard' for maps, that they have to fit in this category that says, if the map hasn't had a lot of effort, then it's not a good map.

On the other hand, I am personally not bothered trying maps that are not unique. A mapper can work several months on the same level, and put a huge amount of effort and details into it. But it can still in my opinion be a bad map, if it's just boring and not creative enough, while a lot of other people praise it to the skies.

The map I made here doesn't have a lot of effort in terms of making every room different - BUT the idea behind it had. The idea behind how I could make the most unsettling horror-type of wad, had some effort, and even though the rooms are pretty much the same, the map doesn't - IN MY OPINION - leave the player with a useless experience. In fact, IN MY OPINION, my map is unique in it's very own way, which is exactly why I think it's worth trying. And exactly why I think my map is good. Good because it's the kind of map you won't forget easily. Maybe you disagree, that's fine. We all have different taste. But I don't believe everyone here has the same taste in maps. So it's not true that I am trolling, just because the TIME I put into it wasn't plentiful. If you only enjoy playing maps where the TIME that has been put into it is plentiful, I understand. Then find a map like that, if you're not into maps like these which has it's focus on the idea behind it rather than the time put into it. But not everyone has the same taste.

Fun fact: When I tested my map the other day, I was actually creeped out about not knowing where the arch viles were so much myself, that I had to quit. At least on me, the map had exactly the effect that I was trying to create.

"Thats why presentation matters, and you failed at it. You say the wad has no flaws and yet you say in your post: (quote)"

No, I said that the filesize itself doesn't affect the gameplay experience, only the download time. That's what I mean by "no flaws"

"What should we believe in then? Your whole attitude towards the map kinda shows that you didn't put any care or effort into it."

Considering the amount of time I had to create this (because I am busy guy who also study) within the timespan, I DID put care and effort into it. Only time was the thing I didn't put much effort into. ( Joke aside ;-) Oh wait... Sorry for making a joke here. I know jokes are apparently not appreciated in this community) I once before posted a map here that I had worked almost two months on. At least that was being appreciated by the community. But not every map has to be a huge project for the player to enjoy trying. 

"Slacking off, like having two identical "wav"s in your wad"

That was just a common mistake, and I have fixed it now.

"and copypasting entire rooms,"

Yes, I copy-pasted entire rooms, but does that necessarily mean that the map can't give you an interesting player-experience?

"demanding people to take your work serious"

What I mean by that is, that I came here with the intention of sharing something that I thought was well done. I enjoy playing my own map, and I feel like it's an experience worth sharing. It may not be the biggest project of all time, but it still has the ability to give the player an interesting experience. Now I am always open to advice, constructive criticism and things like that, but when I post my map here, I expect those who comment on it, to have something useful to say, rather than just condescending me, and not actually playing my map. Hey, if my presentation didn't catch enough of your interest, to go ahead and play my map, then move on to the next thread, and don't comment here... Or at least give me some constructive criticism on my presentation, so you can tell me what I need to improve to catch the reader's interest.

"You are adding *Copyrighted* soundbits"

Yeah, it is copyrighted, but does that make the playing experience worse? I only see the problem if you want to upload a gameplay video to YouTube

"trying to joke around in the post"

It's called having a sense of humor. There's nothing wrong with being a little jokeful sometimes.

"I didn't even have to play your wad to find that out. "

Well, again if you don't want to give my WAD a try, it's fine. If you are 100% sure it won't give you an interesting experience, fine. But then you should just leave this thread, and look for another one, or at least give me some advice on how I can present my WAD in a more interesting way that makes people consider trying it.

"There is no way your are not actually trolling."

Why would I be trolling? I made a level in doom, that I found to be interesting myself. I posted a thread about it, added some screenshots, wrote a brief description of it, and gave others a chance to try it. The first thing I hear is complaints about the file size. I take the advice, and I do something to shrink the file size down, and update the thread with a smaller file, while telling people that I am thankful for their advice. I then ask people again to tell me what they think about my map. And what do I get? People thinking that I am trolling them... Over and over... It's like no matter what I do, there is no way I will actually get a serious response from someone, who was willing to try my map, and leave me with some thoughts about their experience with it.

How about one of you guys ACTUALLY try my map, and then return to this thread to give me some feedback on your experience? You don't have to be a big fan of it, and I am upon to constructive criticism. But simply leaving a condescending post about how I must be trolling, and how you definitely didn't want to try my map is completely useless.

Can we stop this discussion now, and actually talk about the map itself?

Edited by FanTazTiCxD

29 minutes ago, FanTazTiCxD said:

Entire post

Spent making excuses and ignoring the problems. Bravo.

39 minutes ago, FanTazTiCxD said:

you should just leave this thread

Okay that one is actually funny. Because your thread would be empty and unnoticed, and you'd probably either keep making bad maps by your own, or just stop mapping. Thats the thing that separates you from all other newbies. 

Again "bad maps" is your opinion. People have different taste in what defines a good map. To me personally, I like maps that are unique and creative, more than just maps where the creator put a lot of time into adding details, details and details... But that's just my personal taste. 

But the problem with this thread, which seperates it from what I usually see on other newbies' threads, is that people are not giving me constructive criticism. They are just mocking me, and accusing me for being a troll. And I can't use that to improve myself. The only useful advice I have had so far in this thread, was from those who told me to make the file size smaller, and also told me how I could do it in the future. And I appreciated that, and took the advice, while the size of the download file is now smaller, because of their advice.

But I am still waiting for people to comment in this thread, telling me that they tried my map, what they liked about it, and what they disliked...

5 minutes ago, FanTazTiCxD said:

Again "bad maps" is your opinion. People have different taste in what defines a good map.

Nah it has some objective values really, there is a logic to that in balance, visuals and others. In general case it may be something like ammo and health balance, for encounters it might be something like monster diversity, for the layout it might be height variation, for visuals it may be usage of colors and color balance. 

Subjectiveness of good and bad in a media is a meme.

I thought my map was good. And the combination of the dark halls and the depressing music personally gives me a feeling creeps just enough for me to have a special and unique experience with the map that I enjoy. Now if my subjectiveness can tell me that my map was good, it's a proof that there are people in this world who can possibly play and enjoy my map. Maybe not you. Maybe not some of the other people who posted in this thread. But no matter how much you want it, good and bad is still a matter of taste. And you still haven't tried my map, so maybe you should, and then you can tell me what your experience with it was. I would be very interested in knowing your thoughts after actually trying my map. And if you didn't enjoy the experience, it's fine, you can tell me what you disliked about it. Then I will hope that someone else will enjoy it more next time, and hope for you to find some other map that suits your style more.

I also made this map earlier:

It's completely different, and I put a lot of effort into it. It's good in another way. Maybe you will like it more. This map "Haunted Halls" is also, in my opinion, enjoyable in it's own way. It's just a matter of seeing things in different perspectives. If you're looking for something that is detailed and full of effort trying to create the best classic doom experience, then you obviously won't enjoy "Haunted Halls" but if you are in the mood for something different and creative in it's own way, maybe you will.

I would rather call Haunted Halls for a work of art, than a regular map.

PS. this is quote of someone's comment from my WAD "The Forbidden Terminal"

"playing on UV, not finished yet (it is BIG!), but like it! i am not really used to use barrels as "area cleaning devices", so sometimes ammo is very tight."

This is a good comment, because he highlights both the things he likes and dislikes about the map, thus giving me inspiration for my future maps on how I can improve them. This thread lacks comments like these for some reason...

Edited by FanTazTiCxD

Welp, im new in this on review, but im interesed on what is on the screenshoots.
I'll download and play it for my twitter reviws.

I'll give review on the map, but the download file it's a bit of a problem to me so i will get on home. And don't try to don't see the criticism on the files as Pooh says. It's really unfitting that there is happy or meem sounds in a horror wads. Hence the Terry wad reference. Try to learn about that on new maps or updates.

Hope to write here soon.

29 minutes ago, jamondemarnatural said:

Welp, im new in this on review, but im interesed on what is on the screenshoots.
I'll download and play it for my twitter reviws.

I'll give review on the map, but the download file it's a bit of a problem to me so i will get on home. And don't try to don't see the criticism on the files as Pooh says. It's really unfitting that there is happy or meem sounds in a horror wads. Hence the Terry wad reference. Try to learn about that on new maps or updates.

Hope to write here soon.

THANK YOU for being willing to give this a try!

And I am sorry about the file size, I know it's a problem, and I will improve that next time I upload something here :-) It's not like I didn't see the criticism. As you can see from my previous post, I have taken the advice, and changed the sounds to more fitting sound effects, and re-uploaded a new version with more fitting sounds. So there is not a time where I haven't accepted people's criticism. The only thing I don't like, is when people are too quick to judge, and they assume I am trolling. Those comments are just annoying and useless and it won't help me in anyway. 

When it comes to terry wads, I have seen a few of them on youtube, and I can't stop laughing at it. I find them somehow hilarious, because they are so bad that they become good. But that's just my taste. Though this WAD has nothing to do with the style of a Terry wad. And I see the point of the funny sound effects making it seem a bit that way, so I have changed them now. When you play the map, there will be no unfitting sounds.

Good luck! I am looking forward to hear about your experience with it! :-)

Ps. Those who still think I am trolling should actually try my map. If you can play this map with "turbo 50", have the lights off in your room, and wearing headphones, without at any point feeling creeps all over, then I respect your bravery! The thing that makes it special in my opinion is, that it's not actually that difficult. The difficult part is to deal with the creepy atmosphere. Try it and see for yourself ;-)

Edited by FanTazTiCxD

Ok, so first i played with Prboom+ and the game sounds sounded really glitchy and like broken. And gets really annoying after the first minute. Also the game had frezze with that sounds. So no play it with Prboom+

In GZDOOM, it's get the idea of the map, scary ambient sounds, unconfortable tears and talk's the music is not really that depressing, or at least, not the ambient music that should sound on a haunted hallways on my opinion.

Im played without turbo 50, because is a hard handicap with the long hallways at the 3(?) Archivilles that soundround the area. it really unfair because it's get deaths that you can evade. One solutions should be little caves or spaces on the hallways where you can hide while is fire, but then you will need to chainsaw or fist the invisible demons if they get you trap.

The map pickup it's close to the beggining, and maybe the red card it's close to the blue, the yellow was more random so i like it.

Ligth-amp is needed if low of health, to know with the automap where should be the better place to be.

Is a good standard map, it played more of creppy maps, so this maybe with a little of polish and gameplay more that run to keys, it's can be played better.

Played other round with Brutal Doom 64 Survival Horror style, where is better in this style of map with the stamina bar, in my opinion, where you are hoping the next corner is no monster to resuply your stamina.

I rate 5.7/10 Can be better if maps have  changes to better gameplay. Sounds is more personal for me so may no take account.

On 5/16/2019 at 11:23 AM, FanTazTiCxD said:

I only see the problem if you want to upload a gameplay video to YouTube

This is exactly what you've asked me to do, by the way. And there will almost certainly be a copyright claim. It will in all likelihood say it's fine as long as I don't monetize the video, which I have no intention of ever doing with any of my videos. But just so you know.

@Pooh, there can be conventions and consensus and near universal agreement, but that doesn't make it objective; that means it's a subjective opinion shared by many/most. It's a fine distinction but an important one.

Anyway, I do think folks have been a little hard on the mapper here. I did play this and I find it to be a reasonable effort at mapping. It's just that many of the elements here do suggest a troll attempt or that it's not being taken seriously. Honestly, without the funky noises (which add very little, in my opinion) and custom music that dramatically increase the file size, this is just a fairly simple proof of concept map. It was just an unfortunate combo of not great presentation and a few map features that don't go over well. And if I hadn't played "The Forbidden Terminal" a while back and known that this is a capable and serious mapper, I probably would not have played this one either. My playthrough will be up tonight or tomorrow morning.

21 hours ago, jerrysheppy said:

At least the thread title is honest.

Hehe, yeah, thank you ;D

21 hours ago, jamondemarnatural said:

In GZDOOM, it's get the idea of the map, scary ambient sounds, unconfortable tears and talk's the music is not really that depressing, or at least, not the ambient music that should sound on a haunted hallways on my opinion.

Okay, fair enough, it's all a matter of taste, as I say. Thanks for expressing your opinion on the matter :-)

Im played without turbo 50, because is a hard handicap with the long hallways at the 3(?) Archivilles that soundround the area. it really unfair because it's get deaths that you can evade. One solutions should be little caves or spaces on the hallways where you can hide while is fire, but then you will need to chainsaw or fist the invisible demons if they get you trap.

Yeah a cave in the middle of the hallways wouldn't be a bad idea. Although, as the one who created my map, I know how the teleports work. There's always a teleport line in the middle of the hallway, so you are mostly more safe in the middle of the hallways, which means you will rarely encounter an archvile in there (although it happens)

The map pickup it's close to the beggining, and maybe the red card it's close to the blue, the yellow was more random so i like it.

Yeah I thought it would be too unfair if the player didn't have a full map from the start. The red, blue and yellow key cards are exactly equally far away from each other (Each in 3 of the 4 corners) and then the light kit in the 4th corner

jamon, thanks for your useful comment. I appreciate it!

3 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

This is exactly what you've asked me to do, by the way. And there will almost certainly be a copyright claim. It will in all likelihood say it's fine as long as I don't monetize the video, which I have no intention of ever doing with any of my videos. But just so you know.

Yeah, I came to think about it, but what you say there is also what I had in mind. YouTube usually allows videos with copyrighted music anyway (as long as you don't monetize)

Anyway, I do think folks have been a little hard on the mapper here.

Thank you, and I agree... People are too quick to judge sometimes...

I did play this and I find it to be a reasonable effort at mapping. It's just that many of the elements here do suggest a troll attempt or that it's not being taken seriously.

I find it kind of sad, that the idea of a "troll" map is so easily suggested. To me, a bit of humor, or a bit of a bizarre take on mapping doesn't mean it's bad or just a "troll map". The "funky" sounds is to me what I call art. It's like an art work. You may find it a bit weird or funny, maybe unfitting, but that's a part of the experience.

It was just an unfortunate combo of not great presentation and a few map features that don't go over well.

Can you explain to me how you found the presentation to not be good? (Assuming you are talking about my first post)

In my opinion, I find the combos you are talking about fitting, but oh well, we have different taste, so it's okay :-)

And if I hadn't played "The Forbidden Terminal" a while back and known that this is a capable and serious mapper, I probably would not have played this one either.

It's a bit of a shame that what someone previously made has to have an effect on whether or not you'd like to play their map. Frankly, this was also an attempt to actually be serious about a map. I was just serious in another way. I didn't focus on the details. I didn't focus on making every room different (thus copy and pasting rooms) and I didn't focus on spending a lot of time on it. But I did focus on being creative, and putting in an effort to make this map as creepy as possible, and making the concept go through well. It's just a different attempt at map-making. Sometimes I also like to simply experiment with making a map which is just one huge square of open space, and then having thousands of arachnotrons attacking a few spiderdemons to see who will win. I make a lot of these maps too, where I don't give a **** about the details ;P But I never post these maps here to doomworld, because I know they would be received as troll-maps. I actually think this is a shame, because to me, these fun maps, or joke-wads as some people call them, can also be fun to try, and there are a lot of genius approaches to map-making out there, but the general problem is that this community only seems to take those maps serious, that has their focus on the details, and the classic doom level feel... Just my opinion... Maps like nuts2.wad are also fun in my opinion, and if someone posted a map like this here, I wouldn't think a second before downloading it, and having fun with it.

My playthrough will be up tonight or tomorrow morning.

Yay! I appreciate that a lot, I am looking forward for this!

Thanks to all of you who wrote your reviews of my map here, and those of you who gave me constructive feedback on what you liked, and what you didn't like!

I like innovative ideas in the Doom engine! I tried playing this and:

The layout, the dark corridors and the sounds are scary, the whole thing is great for a horror game, but I can not feel that spooky experience, the background song doesn't let me. I mean: the song isn't scary (for me), so I just can't test it properly, or so I thought so. I've managed to remove the song from the wad and then I had a better experience!

I find so difficult for me to be scared, even with horror games, so I don't know if this map is that so scary, although I do felt uncomfortable playing it (at night, lights off & headphones). If I had to change something, I would put a scary ambient music in the background, the music choice was the only thing I didn't liked it.

I couldn't finished the map without saves, it was difficult but I had fun with it!

Edit: Oh! I forgot to play it with turbo 50! I'll have to try it next time!

Edited by Kepehn : Forgot Turbo

8 hours ago, Kepehn said:

I like innovative ideas in the Doom engine! I tried playing this and:

The layout, the dark corridors and the sounds are scary, the whole thing is great for a horror game, but I can not feel that spooky experience, the background song doesn't let me. I mean: the song isn't scary (for me), so I just can't test it properly, or so I thought so. I've managed to remove the song from the wad and then I had a better experience!

High five! Innovative ideas is also what I like about the Doom engine. It's not just for regular maps. You can do a lot more with it than that. Thank you for seeing my point here :P

I am a bit disappointed that the song didn't have the effect I was hoping for on those who played my map. But we all have our own taste. To me, what makes this song fitting is that it's sad and beautiful (melodramatic) and this mixed together with walking around in a spooky and haunted place creates a very spooky and unsettling feeling. Just like E1M8, if you remember the music. It's completely different from the music in the other levels. It's not full of action. It's actually kind of beautiful and sad at the same time. All of this, while you go through the emptiness of the map, until you finally get to the barons of hell. I kind of tried to create the same feel here.

9 hours ago, Kepehn said:

I find so difficult for me to be scared, even with horror games, so I don't know if this map is that so scary, although I do felt uncomfortable playing it (at night, lights off & headphones).

Yay, so my map was uncomfortable, which was my goal. Good to know it worked!

I couldn't finished the map without saves, it was difficult but I had fun with it!

I am glad to hear you had fun with it. That's the most important thing!

Edit: Oh! I forgot to play it with turbo 50! I'll have to try it next time!

Yeah you should. It gives the gameplay experience a while different approach. When you can just run away from everything easily, it's not that scary

Let me just say thank you to all of you, who actually took your time to try my map, to see my idea behind it, and comment on it. It has been very useful, and finally I can say that I am happy that my map has gotten some constructive attention

After reading of how you take  the idea of teleports, and it somewhat fair, i will try with turbo 50