Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

7 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

John isnt a satanist right??  its all for shock value and nothing serious??

Satanists themselves aren't really satanists, they just use the name for shock value:

Gilmore defines the word "Satan" as "a model or a mode of behavior", noting that in Hebrew the word means "adversary" or "opposer", which can be regarded as "one who questions".

12 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

guys, I think the man who made Doom might think Hell and all that shit is kinda cool

Satanism is to Doom what the Church of the SubGenius is to Fallout.

I have to say this is looking far better than I'd ever imagine it could and I am now regretting not ordering the beast box.

@vanilla_d00m If it makes u feel a little better, Sandy Petersen is a devout Christian. He never saw doom as something that conflicted with his religious values.

2 hours ago, Linguica said:

Romero was also on a podcast recently "to explore what happens when moral majorities get buggy about video games and Satanism alike." https://blackmassappeal.com/2019/05/14/black-mass-appeal-john-romero-doom-satanism/

Thanks. I will listen to it.

I didn't pick up doom again just because you mess around with demons and stuff, it came out in the 90s and thats when all the best games i found when I was a kid, and I seem to be drawn to john romero and his doom game.. he really nailed it down with ultimate doom!

I played again because i miss the music/originality of the game, slaying demons I thought was just to make the game more noticed in public (hence why I don't get 100% in levels)

Again... i was SCARED of the game when it came out, the music stayed with me throughout the years and i found out about OPL3 (because my old computer had pc speaker sounds) and I been hooked ever since.

I hope this track hypes you all for sigil

Edited by vanilla_d00m

2 hours ago, Linguica said:

Romero was also on a podcast recently "to explore what happens when moral majorities get buggy about video games and Satanism alike." https://blackmassappeal.com/2019/05/14/black-mass-appeal-john-romero-doom-satanism/

Spoiler

for today's show we're booting up a talk with John Romero award-winning code designer of classic games like doom quake and Wolfenstein 3d to explore what happens when moral majorities get buggy about video games and Satanism alike John thank you so much for joining us today so I know most of our listeners already know who you are but for anyone who doesn't can you maybe share a little bit about who you are and your background in gaming yeah so I've been a game developer since 1979 programmer since Sunday night and game designer and pretty much everything but you know 3d modeler of characters and a level design and I do audio and everything so I've been making games since then you know 40 years this summer and made she's 150 games like that

[Laughter]

well what are the the main games that we wanted to address today is the game Doom where we find a lot of intersection between you know the video game world and our satanic world now of course similarly chances are that everyone out there has played doom but since we're talking about it a little bit more today and there might be still some

uninitiated listeners how would you describe the game and its legacy to anyone who's never played it again assuming that that person exists in this world you see in Doom it's basically kind of in the near future and there are I guess experiments going on the move folks just moving around Mars and a tell a the Gateway is open to hell and demons basically come through the Gateway and start slaughtering everybody at this moon base and your Space Marine and you're sent to Mars or you're sent to Phobos to basically you and a whole bunch of other people are sent there to destroy the beam

and it ends up that basically everyone gets destroyed except for you because you do the most badass nice so basically this just blowing away demons constantly with all kinds of weapons rocket launchers and plasma guns and the BFG 9000 and shotguns and bell bro shotguns and chain guns even chainsaw now I will say I'm a little bit curious while we were prepping for this interview I thought to myself geez this guy's been working so long and he's designed so many games and yet still people are really most often interested in you know these these three or four games that you did in the 90s that are still your biggest hits and I thought to myself he's I hope he's not tired of talking about doom after all these years but then I saw some other interviews who did were people were talking about doom pretty much constantly and I'm like oh good so it's still still part of the package so did you ever expect that when you sat down to design that game and the couple of games around that time that here 25 years later it would still be this topical of this relevant and this influential not really I mean when we when we were going to start making do we knew it was going to be the biggest game that had ever been out and we knew that but we didn't know like the end of the lasting impact of the game we just we were just gonna make a game it was better than the previous game like which was Wolfenstein 3d and then we did spear of destiny which is like a prequel to wolf 3d and then and that was better than Commander Keen so we're like always trying to kind of outdo ourselves and so doom was just supposed to beat down Wolfenstein and then when we worked on quake that was supposed to smack down doom so we're always just like trying to make at the next better game knowing that at that point we were making basically the best first-person games you know out there and we didn't think about that the game would still be going twenty-five years later and that's really because of open sourcing the game and in the game also allowing mods were the first game to let people modify it and extend it and that's why it's like it's still being modified

it's definitely taken on a life of its own

now I you know in your description of the content of doom it comes quite clear to our listeners who are not familiar with the video game why we're talking to you so as we talk about doom and it's visions of hell it's concepts of hell it's visuals I'm curious so you know in past interviews you've described yourself as an atheist and in emails to us at the show you were very clear that you know you're not a Satanist but tell me what what role does religion play in your life and how satanic aesthetics kind of also play a role in in your life and in the games you create well am I in my life

personal life there is ZERO religion involved and anything I do my part of I've I've done my I've come from a Mexican background so my whole family's super Catholic I was baptized Catholic and my uncle was a minister for a long time it was every time I worked at the house he's like Johnny you learn about God he's like every time I came into the house into my grandma's house

but in my games like typically like until doom there was like no satanic anything in any of the games because they were all completely different styles of games like Amanda Keene was like this hyper intelligent kid saving the universe and Wolfenstein was about you as an american pows gunning down nazis on the way to escaping the castle and and eventually killing Hitler so those were sort of just totally different game designs and even even after making doom heretic was a fantasy kind of version of doom so it was like medieval fantasy and then hexan was more of the same but even but neither of them dealt in any witchcraft or anything like monitor satanic and bit quake when we did quake that had I think he had some feelings of possibly Satanism but it was mostly HP Lovecraft influenced so it was disturbing it was violent mm-hmm and if there were there weren't any there weren't any pentagrams or any like pictures of Baphomet or anything in but you felt that it probably they probably should be in there I think yeah we have you know on this show we've covered some topics that are not quite Satanism we call them Satan adjacent so we've talked about HP Lovecraft we've talked about Dungeons & Dragons and these are things that you know we find a lot of Satanists like or the public perceives as just being satanic so when you talk about HP Lovecraft when you talk about you know when when you mentioned Dungeons & Dragons how have those influences you know informed your work those outside influences geez you know Dean D is basically the foundation games almost you know like electronic games even if they're not even if they're not just like role-playing games games even slits a street fighter you know play Street Fighter 5 or something there's hit points you don't like that's dungeon 2 the Dragons and anything that is that has statistics in it can say that you've derived that from Dungeons & Dragons so DMV has influenced every game pretty much I mean maybe not adventure games at the beginning and narrative games you know there's a whole dinner there are this is a narrative genre that has nothing to do with DMD it's it's it's own thing but any game that has stats and it hit points experience points that kind of thing that's all derived from DMV which is like most games shooters yeah of Health you know ma'am oh it's it's it's all derived so dandy was was huge but interestingly D&D was like a direct

directly influence doom and directly influence quake and that is obviously in Dumas I hope demons from hell are they being are basically pointing through a portal and just destroying everybody up everyone

so they've like in D&D terms they've invaded the prime Material Plane and that comes from a DD campaign that we played at its software and in the in that campaign I basically was

responsible for destroying the whole world the whole whole world thinks that John Carmack created because I wanted I wanted like tons of power and I was like this little joke of a kind of like a magic user and in this cool you know this very long adventure that we were on at this one point a bunch of us needed to we needed to hide away because a really powerful character was after us so I was hiding in this pocket dimension that had a castle in it and it was owned by a guy named babe and this guy they'd had control over demons because he had the demonic Ron book and so he had his own room that had a pentagram on the ground and a big like a pulpit with with the demonic on it that's how I have invoked them to come and basically do his bidding and one time because I was helping him out since there's nothing else to do while we're while we're hiding in our separate different places in the in the universal I was helping them and when when he's selling this demon which was you know like three stories tall is massive in the room he's talking to the demon the demon socket here with the demon at the same time is telepathically talking to me and telling me that he needs that book and so I'm like I I want something for the book I'm gonna give you the book and also I get something for it and

so I said I want some really I want something really powerful and and he said well he's gonna look and the next time he comes is summoned again then he'll tell me what I'm what I would get for that so I delay basically we he goes and does that and I think maybe it was a week later and he someone's that evades summons a demon again and the demon tells it telepathically is telling me while talking to vade that he's found a +5 ancient daikatana and a ring of vampiric regeneration and something else I can't remember and I'm like oh well I'll take it so so this was it was horrible I basically had this spell that could just destroy stuff so I basically incapacitated vade with this spell well who could only be for just a second because he was a really powerful guy but I kind of distracted him by using the spell on him and I threw the book over off the off the platform over into the pentagram and the demon basically got even bigger in there and he was like I could kill you now but it won't even matter it's gonna happen anyway so he said he was just here your things and then he I think he killed made and then he disappeared and I'm like left with this stuff and eventually get out of this pocket dimension and find that because the demons have the power to invade the Material Plane to some of themselves in Material Plane they're all coming through a portal in Flemington iron place and it took about a month of DD sessions before the world was completely gone we were dead just a finger left and I grew back from that until the whole world was just scoured and hidden something ate my finger and the ring on it like it was it was horrible and we

we stopped playing D&D at that point because that world had been been running for years time I couldn't had created this world that had been running it with friends before us even ah I know it was horrible so anyway so I was evil and I wanted power and of course the daikatana was the reason I was destroyed by thy katana and then we put it in the game so while we're coming up with an idea for Doom we had probably ended that campaign a year or so earlier so coming through coming up the idea it's like what if we just took the end of that campaign and made that happen at the beginning of this it was like just flood the game starts with the ending of like everything possibly the ER the guy who could stop it so that's what we did and then with quake in before all the horrible stuff happened there was a there was this group called the Silver Shadow Man and there were five characters that were pretty ultra powerful in that world and they used to ride on the silver dragon that would fly above all the clouds so most people couldn't even see it or even know that's happening but these these characters belong to a group called justice so the silver shadow band worked for justice which is trying to keep equilibrium in this in this world when you know like there isn't been honor to governments and stuff you know so because it's all medieval times so so these characters fly around all over the place and just try to do these concentrated you know solve the problem and in quake was one of the characters in the Silver Shadow Man and he had this huge hammer that basically could you know he could just throw it like Thor and it would just destroy his stuff and come back to them and he had a thing called a hella gate cue that used to just kind of orbit and it had its own its own mind and it would feed off of the destruction that quake would would would basically bring about and when there wasn't enough destruction it would kind of go off and do it on its own so you couldn't really predict what the hell gate queue was going to do but if it would help quake out in different ways because it had really strange properties but we we went on lots of silver some cool adventures with quake and in 1991 at the very beginning of 1991 we've just finished our first command of King trilogy and we wanted to make a game called quake the fight for justice and this is like we just finished our first like really cool 2d Mario Tech game and we spent about two weeks trying to make this RPG with quake and decided there's just no way we're gonna ruin the idea what quake is with this dinky 2d stuff that we're doing right now so let's let's just put that off until the future when we can actually make a really good quick game so after making doom 2 and the only do don't know after due to the beginning of 1995 is when we started to work on quake because we're actually gonna make a real full 3d engine and high frame rate and all that stuff and and we decided that that's gonna be the game that quake is in so the idea the very beginning was that you would be queit with a hammer and all that stuff but as it turned out after after a whole year of a lot of really hard work we got to the point where that probably wasn't going to be as much fun as a shooter so we just went with the idea of making it into a shooter so then we had to kind of take the idea what quake was and change the story to fit what we were creating at that point so it didn't didn't really mirror the DMV stuff that we had planned for it but the name quake comes from that Dean D character now I have to say I find this conversation very

enlightening because if you watch those satanic panic era propaganda videos of the preachers decrying D&D they say this is a game where young people make dark pacts with evil powers to try to gain to dread try to gain for themselves and I would sit there and I have things like what the fuck DD game if these guys been sitting in on and now I realize it was yours it was your game

all along now we know John actually when you mentioned your you come from a Mexican background it actually reminded me of this one time I was uh it had to have been back in like 96 or 97 and I was playing doom on the SNES and in the moment I don't know what stage it was but I am just mowing imps down or something like that and there are like corpses strewn across the walls and like a giant fucking pentagram on the floor my grandma walks in my very very mercy can my very Mexican very Catholic grandma

walks in she sees this yes yeah that's no good you'll do like that she got so upset and hilarious yeah we um we got his funny uh there was a Facebook game that I made that got really really big there were 25 million players every month playing this game and I had handed this game off to another designer because I just started another company I was gonna start making different stuff so when this other designer took the game which was a very happy fun cute game it was and no sickness no signet and no magic and no nothing like that was very very safe kind of game and what this guy did was he stuck in magic stuff immediately as soon as playing left and the sigils on the ground which are really like Viking runes and stuff the audience that played that game did not understand magical stuff so when they saw it they're like well on that note I'm thinking about you know you had some of these really big hits in the early 90s that was a time when America was just wrapping up big moral panics about Satanism D&D and heavy metal music and was just starting to freak out about video games so

you were at the cross-section of a whole lot of ire at that point was that something that was affecting your life in those days or were you kind of in your own little world at that point yeah we were in the world and we didn't care what anyone thought nice we do whatever we wanted to do I mean not make our game because we thought that somebody would do I mean actually the only time we thought that what we were gonna do could be dangerous and we didn't do it was before making Wolfenstein there was an idea that we could do a game about terrorism redesign like we could be mowing down terrorists as merit like a a like a Navy SEAL group you know you'd be like such a badass Navy SEAL group that's going in and basically mowing down terrorists and it was like you know why that might not be so safe like there are terrorists right now and if we hit too close to home they could terrorize us but nobody's going to be upset that were mowing down Aziz funny that yeah Nazis unfortunately in our day and age seem to have gone from the absolute most stereotypical easy bad guys to some folks these days uh are taking a sad different you know not using games back then so it was like actually a brand-new crazy thing when we did it so many now it's a well they're still making Wolfenstein games I mean there's new ones all the time in fact Wolfenstein is the longest-running franchise in the game industry since it started the original Wolfenstein came out 1981 oh right Wow just Castle Wolfenstein you know you get you guys saying that you know fuck these guys we're gonna make what we want suddenly makes the name of the company its software kind of appropriate yeah well it's funny like we we named it in software because and we named it before we even made games that you would say it came from

we just thought that that was a smart name for company they had smart people in it but like it was actually a bad name company no one said it right yeah I was guilty of that too radiation it's not identification software come on so you shouldn't name it something else that actually was easy just for he of the masses no I I do but I didn't realize this until just the other day but the day you released doom in 1993 was the day after the US Senate had its very first hearing about video games which in hindsight is such a fucking surreal thing to be thinking about that the Senate was spending time on that again you said you were tied up in your own little world in those days that didn't really cross your radar at all no and we didn't know that that was happening because we were like in the homestretch trying to get doom washed so we didn't know that was happening and didn't know it even when it was on TV or if it was on TV we had no idea we were watching TV because we were living in the office those final days getting the game done so it was hilarious that the day right after that shit hit we released a game worse than anything they're talking about well that's that's why I bring it up because I'm curious because um you know people like David Grossman were then running around for years saying going out your games in particular as ones that really seemed to kind of scare them when did you first catch wind of the fact that people were targeting you like that and what if anything was your reaction do you remember it might be I think it was sometime after Doom was released not that long but I think that we heard about Lieberman and and what was going on and we didn't care about it because we knew everybody liked the game so obviously it's not the world that's going against games now because these guys didn't like it because

just sounded like oh this is more you know anger and comic books and heavy-metal stupidity so when you could you know somebody like this too shall pass so who gives a shit and had a no we we didn't care and the only time that that I actually had to do something different when some shit hit the fan was on Columbine happened and you know doom to like likely balls drawings of doom to stuff was on the front page of CNN and and I was working at I am storm at that time and so we were inundated with all kinds of media calls and I didn't talk to any one of them at all so that was the only time that I did something different which was great now I have to avoid the media because some idiots you know when killed people in school because they're mentally disturbed not because of doom yes well the reason why I bring this up is because I'm a little bit curious if you look at the scares that happened previously like it was one thing when it was heavy metal because at least that was rock and roll which is something that a previous generation was familiar with the videogames were still a relatively new medium and I guess they still are do you think that made it scarier to some people do you think that that made it seem if you'll burn the phrase in this context a little more alien to them whereas yeah you only owe ting this you know since you were since you were 10 it's totally because they don't understand it just like they people that never played D&D don't understand D&D so why not blame it mm-hmm

you have no idea what happens during a D&D game it's so you know hilarious because it's such a fun thing

so yeah it's because they didn't play video games they don't know you know what it's like like why is the experience of playing doom and like everybody's all excited about it why is that now like the thing to go against because it's ultra evil you know because if you just play it it's like wow I haven't played something like this on the computer before this is brand-new and this is why it's cool you know it's not because finally I can channel the ultimate evil you know well what's funny is that when you think about it like you're the good guy right like you're killing the demons like yeah

you're killing Nazis you're you're the good guy killing demons a psychic think about it people I was actually looking up just to see if there was any like real Christian controversies which there actually weren't too many at least that I could find on the Internet and it was just funny that there were actually people and I'm pretty sure that these were Christian people who are just trying to make themselves feel better about playing the game they were like we're the good guy you know you're killing the demons I don't know what the problem is funny

Sandi Peterson was one of the guys that helped make doom

sandy is was a card-carrying Mormon he wore garments under his clothes every day he his whole family's Mormon he goes to church I mean he does Mormon as a guy and and it was like hey doesn't it kind of buggy you make it a game about demons and stuff he's like no the cartoons on the screen and you're killing them such a refreshing you know perspective you know it's a video game guys it's fine it's not real life I'm doing this for entertainment

yeah oh well then you're the good guy killing the bad things right

I've heard oh I've heard these like kind of bullshit stories about D&D Player's taking it so seriously that when their character dies they like have like people have committed suicide over it like that was a chick ready Jesse - it should've not somewhere before this happen yeah agreed

it should have seen somebody about that yeah I mean the thing is like nowadays and it doesn't matter where you go you're around someone who's mental and you just don't know it done a car there who knows what they're doing I mean some guy just the other day decided in Sunnyvale to basically drive and hit eight pedestrians and in somebody yelled somebody had run over to him and he's like rocking back and forth on the ground saying Jesus loves you Jesus loves you

he's totally mental yeah and he's in the car and he decided to just go hit people be

a woman looked like she was Muslim and she was Asian

yeah and that's the Sonny Bill I used to live right by sending bill before I moved to Ireland you know just like people all over the place crazy yeah we're we're here in the Bay Area we're actually in Oakland right this second but yeah that was pretty big news around here unfortunately I don't think I got much national coverage because you know if it was someone you know who's attacking Muslims well that's mmmm if it was someone attacking you know straight-laced white folks I'm sure it would have been a different story right we feel very lucky to be here in the Bay Area especially as people who are openly self-identifying as Satanists you we actually haven't received much blowback ourselves unlike our friends who live in different parts of the country so we feel very lucky in that regard but you know thinking about these different moral panics you know you said this too shall pass and you're right you know we look back we look at heavy metal music we listen to Ozzy and it seems almost quaint now and video games you know most people have come to the understanding that they're games they're fun they're entertaining they're not gonna suck you into another dimension and as we look at the new panics that are coming up you know modern Satanism is rising and growing again largely in response to I think the political climate and then you have new technology like social media this you know permanent connectivity so to your mind as someone who's lived through some of these previous panics and and and you know ridden the wave and gotten out the other side what's your opinion on the new panics and do you think that these will similarly be overcome absolutely the thing that's interesting right now is that the church is so backpedaling every year people are losing faith and written religion because well how can you take it seriously when you have so many priests screen kids

yeah now finally getting you know uncovered year after year you know and and then announce the scallops and now it's like anyway that comes in contact with kids you know but like when when the church does that and they have to pay millions and millions of dollars to shut it up you know and when people find out about it they think about it's like you know what this is disgusting that money that we've been giving to the church that's supposed to do good things is going to pay off people whose kids were her you know it's like so people are just losing their faith completely because they can see like the priests actually weren't practicing what they were preaching they were doing it yeah blame videogames for that you fucking assholes exactly exactly so it's like you know people are just backing away from it and the fact that religion is having to become more inclusive it's pissing off all the old people that we're still in it and you know like they have to do what they can to keep as many people in as possible because it's just a rhodium completely you know so it's just like they're just scrambling around I think this is too many too many people losing the faith and in many religions and it will just you know it's just going to keep happening and I don't see a big resurgence of the you know the the Crusades or anything happening anytime soon so Jesus is losing on a similar note I'm a little bit curious not to pick it an unpleasant topic but you referenced the Columbine High School shooting a couple of minutes ago and of course I was in high school when that happened and I played doom in high school and are unfaithful listeners will be shocked to learn that I was not the most popular or well-adjusted fellow at that high school so I did not get a lot of antagonism around that time but I could have and I was well aware of the fact that that could have caused some problems for me and what I find interesting about that now is the fact that all of that seems so retro that seems like a lifetime ago now and I think to myself is like and people moved on from that particular scare because they learned a lesson from that or do you think they've moved on from that just because the news cycle keeps moving and now

it's a different time culturally and really we're just probably repeating the same motions with a different tune what's your opinion people if so we have kids that are in high school right now and the things that that they are into and exposed to have nothing to do at all with that old twenty thirty years old stuff like culture moves so quickly and kids are on top of it every day when something new happens they need to know about it because they need to know something the friends don't know and so it's like there's there was like very few really big things that all kids will get around because there's so many different interests out there it's so easy to put your whatever you're into out on the internet that that people are into a lot more things now but when things like Minecraft hit and you have a ton of people into that or fortnight or you know just battle royale pretty much and everything you know kids get into that stuff but that's that doesn't happen at school at school it's other stuff that they're talking about and getting into so I think that the fact that there's social media in a lot of different aspects and kids are tied to their phone like it's a lifeline there's just a lot more going on than a single focused thing like video games there's just a ton of stuff happening and it's in its I can't even believe the amount of stuff that kids are into compared to what I was in school because there were very few things that I could be into because the exposure back then was very limited and nowadays you're there's no unlimited exposure you know there's pretty much the you know kids are kids kid you know you gotta really just like talk to kids to find out what they are into and if that seems like it's it's okay or not yeah you know it's funny I was speaking to a friend of mine who has a son who's I think 14 15 and he's like he just watches YouTube he doesn't watch TV I don't have no idea what he's watching because it's just whatever pops up on

you tube and you know that blew my mind that's all that's what our kids watch YouTube all the time it's like there is no such thing we don't even subscribe to any TV anything I could actually stop watching TV in the year 2000 that was like turn-of-the-century I'm finished TV whatever so so I haven't had any subscription to any cable or satellite or nothing in almost 20 years now and I don't miss it because it's great to be able to binge watch a series you know yeah missing anything this game of thrones right now but you know other than that I'm not gonna I'm just gonna binge watch stuff if I want to hear about it and it's like that's just the most fun way of watching stuff like appointment based on television is stupid so you know so so and kids are used to that now and they and especially YouTube is unbelievable what what a great idea so our kids watch so much stuff you know like Donovan our son he watches I can't even tell you like so many different things he watches a lot of science videos which is great very he he remembers everything so he's got lots of science knowledge but he also watches all kinds of insane stuff because YouTube so you know it's it's it's cool because he's just - growing up in a different time and he's been exposed to a ton of ton of stuff but he's also being taught how to filter because we need to make sure he knows what's with what you know like the real information because just because you watch a video on YouTube doesn't mean it's in Wars exactly

totally and and and I remember in the 80s when modems started getting used that futurists at that time basically said the most important thing in the future is gonna be filtering information because there's gonna be so much information that filter is gonna be the really big thing so

actually that is really true but there's not really a lot of those filters right now they're like you have to sell filter at this point right but like you can now do that with notifications on and off but there's other kinds of filtering that is going to be developing over time but there's like we're inundated with unbelievable amounts of information now this was the exact premise of Metal Gear Solid 2 spoiler alert and this has become like so prophetic at this point because the they were talking about this in 2001 and people were just still like what the fuck who cares the Internet's for nerds we are now this information was back in the 80s when they were saying they were saying computer programming jobs in the future are gonna be unbelievably needed and filtering of information is going to be a must it's just too much of it in the future so that's right now well it's funny that you mentioned first a couple of minutes ago you mentioned that there were not that many things for you to be into as a kid

and now we have endless choices and it's also funny that you mentioned Game of Thrones because I was you know with the most recent episode coming out there was a lot of talk about it is this the last cultural touchstone that kind of everyone can relate to because there is so much out there if the internet had been around you know at least more predominantly when you know your first games like doom came out how do you think that would have affected their trajectory if you were so if people were more interconnected like this and we're able to build upon interest in hobbies in a more active way well I think one of the reasons why doom got really big is because the internet just started at that point like you know in a real way we had been using we had been sending emails you know the whole year that we were developing doom so we all had these machines that were there called next-step operating system computers and that's basically what Mac os10 is today is the same operating system and we were using that 1993

we were sending emails and were able to get on the internet and all this stuff that das PCs really couldn't do it really needed Windows 95 to happen to be able for people to actually start using web browsers and hitting the internet and hey well and all that kind of stuff so we were actually there developing on it when it happened and we were accessing Usenet and all that stuff but we supported modems which were a lot of people had modems at that but it was it was like right at the very beginning and we put we know when we uploaded doom it was the first game that a company had uploaded to the Internet first and not to a BBS and and so if we did upload it to VBS later you know after we hit and hit the internet but the internet was was like there was there were so many people waiting for it that the server crashed twice when we're trying to put the game up for everyone to download it so the internet was there and it was really starting to happen and that's one of the reasons why doom got so big and then when we did quake we made it so it played over the Internet you didn't need to use a modem that was almost like old-school stupidity to use a modem it was all about the actual Internet so we support that and that was in 1996 so by 96 the internet was fully there but it really did help us help the game spread a lot easier because you're not having to copy floppies and handoff your friend anymore and you're not having to spend a really long time downloading stuff over a modem you can actually just do it over the Internet and really fast rate and that was kind of what helped the game spread I love the idea of really fast like this 1996 internet really fast eight kilobytes per second we had a t1 back in 1996 wow that's crazy

man I remember seeing one of those in like 98 I had a boyfriend who had that and I was like I'm going to download all of the music and then I got in trouble oh yeah I was a years

there's an app server LimeWire and all yes

and there was me downloading music videos for like like old Frank Zappa like concerts and stuff on my old boyfriend exactly now you just watch it all well speaking of music my connection here is that you know quake obviously the sound design was done by Trent Reznor Jesus here we go somewhere we're at this it's just because I am in love with him

don't don't worry about it but you know Trent Reznor on quake Buckethead on signal sigil how does music inform the games that you make and is the soundtrack just another design element or does it help like actually inspire the creative process yeah so the music inspires it definitely so when I'm making levels in a game what I do is I kind of easily kept the lights dimmed haven't really kind of not not bright at all and I and depending on what the type of level is I'm trying to make I want to play music that that will reflect the feeling the player should have while their while they're going through that level so I'm hearing something that is making me make the the level the way that I need it to be played and and so hopefully I can play a song that kind of mirrors that like back in the days of doom we didn't have that b3 mp3s or streaming neo

CDs or anything like that so there were just MIDI songs so I would play I did a lot of level editing to Queen's Mike and Allison chains and stuff and Bach Sabbath and I'm you know just really a lot of babies babies hair band metal you know wing and all that nice but it was like it was it was really Queen tronic I remember doing a lot of the first warning and rage for order and I'm making the levels too though to the to those songs and then having songs that I gave I gave Bobby Prince a bunch of metal CDs so he would make me

metal songs that kind of give you that feeling that I was having while I was making the levels actually I love that shit when I was I was playing doom 2 and I think it was this stage barrels of fun I was listening to the music and I was like dude this is literally them bones by Allison change so I did did did like ASCAP or anything like give you guys shit for that

no because it's maybe no so so we were actually talking about this so it's not the actual song and back then the only things that they could get you for was digitally sampled over four seconds so we had none of that because we're doing MIDI and I was actually did I actually didn't want to have any songs that were in doomed to be like the songs that inspired them so when Bobby sent me some stuff that was actually the total song in miniman I'm like no no no we can't actually have the I don't want to have the actual song I want to have a song that sounds kind of like that but it's inspired by it and so the music that that I get them bones was not the exact song but you could tell that it was the bones in a certain way eppley inspired but there were songs that were a doom that were absolutely directly the songs like malformed by Pantera yes exactly and the reason why that happened is because I heard I got all the songs from him and I listened to them all and the ones that sounded just like the stuff that I said them I'm like no you gotta get redo this one so it's not so obvious and and so when I got the stuff back it's like okay this is all good now I can assign where these go and so what happened is some of those CDs that we had sent him were Slayer and Pantera and a couple other groups that I never listened to because they were aging Carmack's

CDs and so when he didn't have what I didn't come back with oh yeah that's not the war

you know you got to change

and come back with that because I'd never before speaking amazing

speaking of metal we've got to talk about you were showing us just before the interview

the sigil your most recent project where you were visited tomb once again and you were showing us the really fucking awesome John buffle art for that which is the most Satan thing I think I've ever seen in my life

hang on that that metal art is the sort of imagery that you wanted to reproduce in these games that that was the inspiration that you were working off of visually yes so the cool thing about sigil was for me was I wanted to make another episode of doom and to me it felt like I should start with a original doom instead of doom - and I wanted to I think do the fifth episode because I already worked on all the other episodes and episode 4 was the the last one that we had done in 1995 and there were some unofficial episode fives done by modders but for me I'm like well I'm gonna kind of continue it I'm gonna do an episode 5 because if I I mean because to me I hadn't done any other episodes other than the first four so I'm doing five I'm not gonna make a 6 because someone else made a 5

like I think if I've so I'm gonna make him and my decision was I'm gonna do it in hell because I didn't work on episodes 2 & 3 on those levels directly as hell the old helm levels that was sandy Peterson doing that and I had been episode 1 so I hadn't done hell before and I really wanted to even though we got the episode episode 4 had some levels that could have been in hell I wanted to make a whole pelvis ode because I was excited about using those textures and in like imagery that we didn't have in it before so you know so I could kind of go maybe I could make it feel a little more hellish in the stuff that I made and maybe

there's a little bit more Satanism or more hell based stuff in it than was in the original doom so because it was really light you know so so like for me it was like this painting represents like this is what I want you to feel like when you're playing this game this is this is like way more serious satanic than anything was in do before so you know so this so this kind of is my version of hell for game so some of the I mean some of the hell imagery like called to mind to me Hellraiser also we just we have just seen event horizon they were replaying it in the Alamo Drafthouse in San Francisco and we did an entire episode on Satanism or Satan in sci-fi and in 2013 you told ventureBeat that you like the contrast of a sci-fi setting with this religious imagery and the trappings of like demons and outer space could you talk a little bit more about that appeal in that contrast of sci-fi with religion or even fantasy yeah I liked what I thought was great was number one if you're gonna find something in space you think it's aliens like that's like the obvious thing that everybody finds in space so I wanted to not find me you know aliens in space because you know that was that was just like cliche and the movie aliens and alien was like amazing you know unbelievable

I didn't want to feel like I'm just like treading the same path or going through the same water I wanted to make something that was really different you know it kind of like you know this is like when we made Wolfenstein you went like blowing up guards to get out of a prison you're in the castle in in Germany and you're blowing away Nazis and like no game had done that at that time really the original Castle Wolfenstein in 1981 which was a top-down 2d game was the game

first and and it was a sensation when it came out but ten years eleven years later no one remembered it so that was because there wasn't an Internet to like forever carry this stuff this stuff was on discs that rot and go away so so like wasn't it wasn't something that had been refreshed so much for people so when we did it it was brand new to a lot of people and was really kind of shocking to some in fact we were kind of shocked that Jewish kids loved it because they felt like they were getting revenge for their ancestors yeah

they were going to mow down the Nazis have killed their you know grandparents or whatever so yeah with with the doom it was like let's not let's not do that let's do the the you know the demons coming through like like the DMV campaign and in it's great because it's in the future where you would think that being this far on the future that religions basically gone it makes no sense anymore none of it was real and and it was all just a fantasy that everybody created to control others and to just make a lot of money and you find out that it is real

and in your finding it so so like I think that's part of the juxtaposition is the further end of the future we get the further the the church pulls away and eventually disappears and in the in this world of doom you find out that sure the church is gone but but but hell is real and you're fighting it and you're not fighting any wins so it's like it's something unexpected how about this I was last night reading a CNN story from 1997 the headline on that being why is there so much Satanism and videogames which is kind of funny now it's like but you guys haven't seen shit yet but in that story you said quote games like doom have a fear factor people are afraid of the game when you invoke fear in people whether through with something like satanic imagery or just something like dark passages with monsters that's better feedback for the player now do you still think that's and do you think the same things scare players today as they did in 93 or 97 or do you think it's got to be a different game plan now I think the same things still scare people because you know there's a new there's a new 18 year old every day there's a lot of new 18 year olds every day and at some point they will be exposed to this thing that they've never been exposed to and it could happen when they're 16 or whatever but some point the game will shock them because they haven't they haven't encountered this before or seen them before and with today's resolutions and just the presentation of games you know the the crazy frame rates and the the high resolutions that you can actually make stuff look realistic and and then in VR it can really like destroy people no it's it maybe for people who are you know people that are in the 40s or 50s and they've seen it many times so it's not actually interesting anymore they wouldn't play that game so they've self selected themselves out of the age range at their marketing to anyway and it's really just the the younger players that will see this kind of thing for the first time and and in be shocked because you know it's totally not what they expected they've been playing Mario no you've been playing all kinds of other games and now they get to play something with like hatred or something wasn't insane I think I think there's something really to be said though for appealing to like these almost primordial fears that humans have like we're all scared of the dark we're all scared of you know a something unseen or some predator that's waiting for us and the imagery of Hell really fits into that because I mean culturally in the Western world we've all been so ingrained with these images of the Christian hell that it's like one of the most deeply scary things to everyone even if you're not like an actual religious person do you think that that's a factor in how you choose the imagery for for your games what's your opinion on that almost for doom you know because it's like hey satanic oh that's people people are gonna you know people are gonna respond to this that's gonna be shocking

when people see pentagrams and in goats heads and stuff in the game and like people with their legs ripped off or you know people's their head ripped off you know like that would be something that people like first of all 3d was new when we made that when we did doom so that on top of this kind of stuff in the game is just completely way more impactful I think just in that thematic sense than like super mario 64 you know a fun happy game you know for a lot of people to play but it's not like this dark subject matter at all where people more upset about the violence and the games over the religious imagery do you think with the symmetry

I think wins at least nine states the u.s. is all about violence that's sure changing the subject a little bit when I look over your work in your life and other interviews that you've given and I start to think about what we think of as satanic ideals and practices one of the things that we really value is individual creative expression and you've got a reputation for when you're working out a game you very much wanted to conform to your vision talk about why that's so important to you well I guess I'm just used to making making stuff that I come up with and I've done that since the very beginning and a lot of what I come up with what I came up with when I was starting was basically like copies of stuff that I was playing in the arcades because back back in the early 80s our caves were like everything so there was that was like the Big Bang created the universe and that was the what happened back in the beginning the Big Bang created all of the all the varieties of stuff that you see nowadays you know billions of years later and they can trace back like what happened during the first Villa steel

microseconds and stuff during the Big Bang and how everything was changing and that is basically what happened with video game or when the arcades started blowing up with games and like 1980-81 it was like the big bang for a creative game design and it was

just you know it really influenced everything that I did so I was doing a lot of copying of things I had played because I was just trying to be good at programming I wasn't really focusing on design so much because I just needed to be able to code to get into the place where design I could actually focus on design because now I have no issue coding a game really quickly now I need to focus on what are you doing in the game like the design element of it so I use a lot of our Kaede games as design a pre-baked design already so I could just try and replicate those to get better programming and then and then I started moving into the design after that so I'm really was used to doing what I wanted to do even in those early games I was I was like I'm gonna take centipede and I'm going to make it happen and I'm going to change it a little bit but merely happen and here's what it takes to make it happen I wouldn't Chrome it and then I finish it and then I move on to the next challenge and it was you know at some point then I'm starting to make it my own stuff I'm like generally influenced by Mario so I'm gonna make a game kinda like Mario I'm gonna do it my own way

and then it sort of started to kind of change to now I'm gonna completely come up with my own thing has nothing to do with anything else but it's an influence in ten different ways from all these are the games and we put them together and so it was going from just trying to get good like guitarists getting good at trying to play the same rips as their favorite guitarist until they could find a style and then they could start inventing their own music it's exact same thing for what I was learning how to code to being able to focus on the design part of it so I was used to making my own stuff I was never used to making something that someone else told me to do and so that's kind of where I've been like my whole career there have been some times where I have worked on someone else's intellectual property we call I call it IP so we're at other people's IP but there was a reason why I did it

it was usually because it wasn't the IP that I was in that I was gonna take it time it was learning some piece of tech probably they I need to learn how to code a student certain piece of hardware or something like that

it's usually that so I'm usually doing my own thing and so I'm kind of used to that so it's kind of like the thing what I do I don't and I'm not I wouldn't I mean I don't know is that what happened now I would I wouldn't have a problem going to work at a company on a game that I didn't invent but that's just I can't even see it happening I think the last time I got close to that was when I did Gotha Seven Sorrows at Midway and I went there to go to basically take a break from running a company and into basically work with Midway because they brought pac-man to the US and I'm like this company changed my life back in 1980 so I mean I want to I want to help them out some way and they needed me to take over the gauntlet project it was just six months in and didn't have a real good creative direction so I basically assemble the whole team and we we made gauntlet seven stars

and so that was someone else's you know ed logs intellectual property that was created at Atari and eventually Midway owns it and I'm helping to like reinvent this this IP for then it was 2005 for that year and that was really like the last time I think I worked on someone else's intellectual property okay I haven't I have a very selfish question but what are you playing right now let's see

well little Warcraft playing because battle for Azeroth came out and I haven't had that much time playing a game other than the one that we're making right now yeah which I can't talk about so you wasted time asking about it yeah but it was it was announced it's gonna be announced at e3 and it was announced that we're working with paradox so that's what we're doing about being basically playing world

craft drop seven like the metal never stop I don't think drops up basically how was it that Celeste Celeste is so good yeah yeah we're really cool really like a minute I'm about to start playing we're trying to over dim oh that's a really good one too yeah yeah so basically you know just that stuff in general I mostly am working on the thing is I got several projects at times so playing games is like oh I know yeah I I do graphic design for a living and if I'm at my computer it if I'm not like making things like what am I doing there exactly well with a track record like yours I don't think that you should feel guilty for allowing yourself some indulgences some fun times especially if it can help you uh be inspired for more stuff later so we're very excited to get out the site this the Satanists say that you can relax

this is everything's alright well John thank you so much for joining us today we are very disappointed you won't tell us what you're working on now so we hope that you'll let us know when you're allowed to talk about it oh yeah three all right well thanks again for joining us on black mass appeal if people want to like check out you know more about you are you on social media are you available for folks to get to know on the internet oh well Romero games.com is where any of our announcements happened so sigils on there and a partnership with paradox is on there

12 minutes ago, Linguica said:

I wanted to make a whole pelvis ode

I had no idea Romero was interested in poetry like this.

13 minutes ago, Linguica said:

I was evil and I wanted power and of course the daikatana was the reason I was destroyed by thy katana

Definitely a take on daikatana I haven't come across before.

1 hour ago, TheGamePhilosophe said:

Definitely a take on daikatana I haven't come across before.

Thy Katana Consumed.

i know i dont belong at these forums.. I can see it.  (back to the christian forums?? <_<)

'cmon, it doesn't matter here! Sandy Petersen is Mormon, for example, yet he did alot of DooM levels. DooM, if anything, a Christian game: what can be more god-blessed than cleaning hell of corrupted demons, after all?! ;-) Doomguy descends to Hell to save mankind, and he didn't even thought that he will ever return to Earth. if this alone is not enough to put him among saints, i don't know what will do. ;-)

cool to see Sigil being around the corner. I love the moments like this one when communities stick around to get their treasured stuff as soon as it comes.

as for JR, he's just keeping up with the gore of somebody that loves metal music.

51 minutes ago, vanilla_d00m said:

After I give donations to certain people here (to give back)   My work here is done. 

Are you only quitting Doomworld or Doom altogether..?

On 5/14/2019 at 6:41 PM, Nevander said:

Holy damn the Poseidon tracks sounds amazing. Can't wait to hear those in E5M8. Fastpass is awsome too.

What do you mean? There is only one track available to hear...

Regarding the delay, just good old Romero doing what he always does...

6 hours ago, UNERXAi said:

I believe he meant Doomworld.

After I give donations to certain people here (to give back)   My work here is done. 

No need to just go away like that. U can find some great custom wads and mods here that can satisfy u even more. Most of them have much better level design than vanilla doom/doom2 levels. If u want to know some great megawads, let me know and I will mention some of my favourite ones.

3 hours ago, D88M3R said:

What do you mean? There is only one track available to hear...

It's Poseidon 4-6, meaning part 4 to part 6. On the pike, it's 3 separate parts that add up to the duration you see on the soundtrack.

7 hours ago, UNERXAi said:

Everything that causes motion sickness.  Unless someone can recommended me another source port I havnt tried (i tried all i think) with the best settings and dizzy free gameplay...

Then I can try sigil out, I will give you a donation as well :) 

Yeah I know not everyone is built to play these types of games, but classic doom is hard to give up and it came out in the 90s (its very original)

To me... 1990s is golden era of games.

Edited by vanilla_d00m

43 minutes ago, vanilla_d00m said:

Everything that causes motion sickness.  Unless someone can recommended me another source port I havnt tried (i tried all i think) with the best settings and dizzy free gameplay...

You could play prboom+ with game speed reduced? Worth trying lowering your mouse sensitivity as well. If that helps it (probably) wouldn't be too hard to whip up a mod that reduces the speed of everything by X amount. Slower projectiles, slower player movement, hitscanners taking longer to shoot etc

I lowered the FPS on prboom to 25, lowest mouse senstivity ever, used keyboard only still felt the same.

Cool... I will give donation to modder (i really want to play classic doom) 

EDIT:

If it doesnt work though for me... then the modder wasted his time?? lol  

it wont be doom anymore... but it will be playable doom :)

Edited by vanilla_d00m

Don't reduce FPS, that will increase motion sickness - at least it does in VR. Try playing with just walking and see if you still get sick. You can also reduce the actual gamespeed in prboom options, not limit FPS.

It would be good to know what other kind of game gives you motion sickness. My hunch is that you actually should increase the FPS indeed.

Would be a shame that you don't play the freaking Episode 5 now that you have experienced Ultimate Doom again.

Jumping Flash on playstation.

I remember my old friend back then would play this,  it was a strange game cuz i got sick.. so I thought it was strange??

Reading wikpedia.... its about a game where you find ur lost space ship... jet pods (not my doomworld avatar... i couldnt fit the doom gif all the way in)

I chose the spidermastermind avatar because it reminded me of krang from turtles in time.

I'm sorry to say... but I tried those options too.

I did enjoy my time here and seeing the game is still  being played (LOL)

Good luck on sigil ALL!

Edited by vanilla_d00m

So ETA for the digital free release of SIGIL is going to be 7 days soon? Assuming everything goes smoothly.

EDIT: I just got an email from Limited Run Games and my heart stopped for a moment. But it was just Desert Child......

Edited by SamuelNMEvander

37 minutes ago, SamuelNMEvander said:

So the ETA of digital free release of SIGIL is going to be 7 days soon? Assuming everything goes smoothly.

EDIT: I just got an email from Limited Run Games and my heart stopped for a moment. But it was just Desert Child......

Not Desert Bus? Aww.

On 5/15/2019 at 8:35 AM, vanilla_d00m said:

Thanks. I will listen to it.

I didn't pick up doom again just because you mess around with demons and stuff, it came out in the 90s and thats when all the best games i found when I was a kid, and I seem to be drawn to john romero and his doom game.. he really nailed it down with ultimate doom!

I played again because i miss the music/originality of the game, slaying demons I thought was just to make the game more noticed in public (hence why I don't get 100% in levels)

Again... i was SCARED of the game when it came out, the music stayed with me throughout the years and i found out about OPL3 (because my old computer had pc speaker sounds) and I been hooked ever since.

I hope this track hypes you all for sigil

"This map is not easy"

One correct accurate face shot at the spiderdemon with the Big F**king Gun and you're done.

10 hours ago, DoomKid423 said:

"This map is not easy"

One correct accurate face shot at the spiderdemon with the Big F**king Gun and you're done.

Yeah, when I got to E3M8 on UV for the first time, I had plenty of cell ammo to blast the Mastermind multiple times with the BFG.

Romero said we'd receive an email from LRG about the delays - has anyone received this? I've had nothing but radio silence.