Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rtwix

River's Freedoom MIDI contributions

I am a DOOM mapper and a musician but mostly a musician who specializes in MIDIs. I've been in love with the Freedoom project since I was at least 9 years old and I've always wanted to contribute something to it so 10 years later I have decided to contribute some music to Freedoom but only if the community feels like there's music that needs to be changed.

I have attached a MIDI I made for MAP02 of an upcoming DOOM wad I'm working on as a sample of my work (so do not use that, please). If you need me to send other MIDIs that I have made for Doom WADs let me know. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Sample MIDI: map02.rar

Edited by rtwix

I personally think the music for MAP30 is in need of a change. Don't get me wrong, I love the music for MAP30 but I don't think it fits the map as much as it used to in older versions like 0.6.4. It also feels a little too "happy" for the final boss of a game about killing aliens, I'd go for something much darker if I had to make the music for MAP30.

What are some songs the community thinks need to be replaced?

EDIT: Here's a little MIDI I composed for Freedoom. I won't share the .midi file until more people notice the thread.

Edited by rtwix

19 hours ago, rtwix said:

I personally think the music for MAP30 is in need of a change. Don't get me wrong, I love the music for MAP30 but I don't think it fits the map as much as it used to in older versions like 0.6.4. It also feels a little too "happy" for a game about killing aliens, I'd go for something much darker if I had to make the music for MAP30.

What are some songs the community thinks need to be replaced?

EDIT: Here's a little MIDI I composed for Freedoom. I won't share the .midi file until more people notice the thread.

That's pretty cool, rtwix ! 

If I wouldn't know it's yours, somebody could tell me it's an unused track from the original Doom soundtrack...and I'd believed that. 

It definitely fits into Doom maps or Freedoom as well. I guess, players who like the original music layouts will agree to that. I haven't played the entire Freedoom campaign yet but I know what you mean with 'too happy'. I also prefer darker, mysterious or creepier tunes for such games. 

Nice! I don't know what the original freedoom's track is but I like this. A lot of Doom midis go for "cheese-metal" but this is foreboding and dark. Darker is better! Good job.

Quick Update: I lost the MIDI while deleting stuff in my downloads folder, however, that doesn't mean it's lost forever. I'll remake it from scratch and try to make it sound less empty and more sinister.

And as promised, here's the remade version of the first MIDI I posted. I tried to make it more sinister and intense but also less empty.

(Note: The cut at 0:47 in the soundcloud upload is not present in the actual MIDI.)

I've made it available for download in case Freedoom devs or anyone working on a mod wants to use it.

Unfortunately, the MIDI seems to be quieter in-game for some reason, I have no idea how to fix that.

Not sure if this one fits Freedoom at all but I made this MIDI not so long ago and forgot to post it. The weird kick drum sounds at the end were added so the song doesn't loop in a strange way but I can get rid of them if somebody wants me to.

I haven't uploaded it to my website yet but I'll update this post when I do.

Honestly, that last one, it kind of feels like it could fit in on the adventures of square more than freedoom, but maybe it could fit in on an earth themed level

As for the MIDI you made for map30, yeah, i this it's goes great on it, really.