Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
3DDoom

How to make my doom 3d ?

Someone tell me please what port Doom to take to create a 3D shooter (3D enemies and weapons, etc.) and examples and lessons how to do it ?

I just want to create a 3D shooter with my 3D models of monsters,weapons,scenery  using the level editor gzdoom builder      is very convenient judging by the lessons on youtube.

I want to create multiple levels with the level editor gzdoom builder for my shooter just by replacing textures and sprites sounds with music and have this shooter run as a standalone game through the free doom port

I saw 3d monsters in Risen 3d port and I want to make 3d monsters like there but don't know how.

7 minutes ago, 3DDoom said:

I saw 3d monsters in Risen 3d port and I want to make 3d monsters like there but don't know how.

You want to learn how to make your own 3D models? Well, go to YouTube and search for videos on how to make 3D models.

Blender is a pretty solid choice for 3D modeling.

Modeling is a big topic though, and not something we can just tell you how to do. Start by Googling "Blender lessons" and be prepared to put a few hundred hours practice in before you start to feel confident. 

Once you've got the basics down, this is a pretty good guide for the GZDoom part of it.

3D Model's aren't toooo hard to work with, but do take a good bit of practice to nail it.

Firstly, make sure your model is either a .md2 or .md3 (Personally .md3 is better but that's just because I'm used to it). There is an extension that can be added to blender that allows you to export .md2/3 models.

Now, assuming you know how to model and texture models, next you'll want to export your model SPECIFICALLY as a .md2/3 (I'll show you the .md3 way), making sure it's reference is set to the Y position (should be on the left side of the export screen).

In slade3, create a new FOLDER and save it as a .pk3 (wad files can't handle models very well). Next, create your DECORATE.txt and a folder names "models" (NO CAPS!)

Pics

Spoiler

3DMODELASSIST.png.74bff9a91ddd5e29f0d5176e82dc7ae6.png

This is what it will look like

For the DECORATE.txt file, fill it in like how you would normally add a monster to DooM.

Now for the models, folder:

Simply drag and drop in your .md3 and your "skin" image for said model into the models folder.

So how do you attach the model? That's where the next text file comes in, MODELDEF.txt

Firstly open it up with a MODEL definition. This just tells the game "HEY I'M A MODEL!!!" After that, add a name!

Then use {} a-la scripts. Inside them define your PATH, MODEL, SKIN and SCALE definitions.

PATH is the name of the folder, MODEL is the model's name (EXACT NAME NEEDED OR IT WONT RENDER), SKIN is the name of the Model's texture (AGAIN, NAME NEEDED EXACTLY) and the Scale is just to scale it. (Usually I keep all 3 at the same value so it's just a simple size increase but if you want it stretched in any way, you warp it to your needs).

Note 1 - the "0" after the MODEL and SKIN definitions are simply the model's index number. Index always starts with 0. Typing in another set of info with 1 allows you to define 2 models into one field, however BOTH models WILL be attached together so be careful! You MUST NOT do this for two different enemies!

For .md3, you use FRAMEINDEX (aka frames of animation) POSS (Poss is the texture of the animation (POSS being the regular former human)) A/B/C/Whateves is the letter of animation (likw how for example a gun is like SCHG A 5) and the two numbers on the end define the model index number (so match it with the innitial number at the top and the final number is the frame from said model file.

Note 2 - You don't need to actually draw out a bunch of frames to fill in the gap, provided you simply have 1 sprite, you can keep using it. The DCWL at the bottom of my image below is literally just 1 sprite and I kept using it to fill in the name field. Weirdly this doesn't break GZDooM .-. .

Pic 2

Spoiler

3DMODELASSIST2.png.3868cc44d056dede8c546f6fd80ac0bc.png

This is what it looks like (I copy-pasta'd my stoof for my TMoD 3D project :3)

I might have made this a little wonky but if you need me to explain things further, just call :D

Thank you all for your help I will try to do something for my shooter

If you want to create something you could call "MY shooter", then you need to make your own engine for that. Now it would be YOUR mod or megawad for Doom.

2 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

3D models? Good luck. Even with modern source ports, putting in 3D models is very difficult to do. GZDoom Builder doesn't even support OBJ files.

It's not that hard. Here are some examples of 3D/PBR stuff I made including a weapon:

Spoiler

ViHNvOW.jpg

8bnUWEK.jpg

3h5TAA3.png

IVMX2pg.jpg

The biggest problem with 3D in Doom (and the reason I sort of lost interest in my 3D mod) is that there are simply too many annoying limitations. Frame indexes can quickly turn into a complicated piece of nightmare because of how many frames are needed for smooth animation. Only MD3 models can be used for animation which forces you to mess around with annoying converters and third party tools rather than being able to simply animate conventionally in your own 3D package of choice. Dynamic lights don't appear to actually work correctly for some reason, as they will sometimes make it through walls and into other nearby areas. Because 3D support is "faked" you have to make fake sprites for all your model frames. 3D models have no physics/ragdoll which can make for some weird situations in-game.

Simply put, while Gzdoom CAN do 3D, it doesn't do it very well. This is why I decided to dump Gzdoom for my game in favor of just simply using another engine. I wasn't planning on using any original Doom content anyway so it made no real difference anyway other than people not being able to create custom levels for it with Doom Builder, but let's be honest only tiny handful of people would probably have done so anyway so who even cares.

My advice is this: Don't bother with 3D in Doom. It's not worth it. There are simply too many annoying limitations and after awhile you WILL start getting tired/annoyed by them. Just stick to 2D or use another engine specifically designed for 3D.

1 minute ago, hardcore_gamer said:

It's not that hard.

Okay, yeah, maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit, but this is because I've never had any real experience with 3D of any kind, aside from making unholy abominations in SculptGL.

5 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Okay, yeah, maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit, but this is because I've never had any real experience with 3D of any kind, aside from making unholy abominations in SculptGL.

Well, perhaps "not hard" isn't the correct word. Like I mentioned above, the problem with Gzdoom's (or just any port that supports 3D stuff) 3D is that it's convoluted and plagued with all kinds of annoying limitations that constantly annoy. Gzdoom basically uses a variety of tricks to fool the engine into thinking it's actually loading sprites thus allowing for pseudo-3D support. But the problem is that this also results in a very awkward design workflow that isn't intuitive at all. It's not that it's impossible to get a decent end result, it's just that the amount of effort and tedium required to get there is so large that I don't personally think it's worth it.

1 minute ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Well, perhaps "not hard" isn't the correct word.

I meant that I've never had any 3D experience in my life. This is beyond Doom. What I'm trying to say (which is partially unrelated to Doom itself), is that I've never had any successful attempt at making 3D models.

To be honest, I can't even draw a circle properly in 2D with Paint, that just goes to show how inexperienced I am.

7 hours ago, ElfishMender894 said:

... but you can easily Add 3D Floors with Gzdoom Builder on UDMF 

That is true enough for the occasional 3D floor,

but to make a map full of interconnected 3D floors and passages, the way it is done with true 3D games, is not an easy task at all. The most ambitious map for GZDoom utilizing 3D constructs that I know of is Rex's Paranoiac MAP23.

On 5/18/2019 at 5:40 AM, 3DDoom said:

Someone tell me please what port Doom to take to create a 3D shooter (3D enemies and weapons, etc.) and examples and lessons how to do it ?

I just want to create a 3D shooter with my 3D models of monsters,weapons,scenery  using the level editor gzdoom builder      is very convenient judging by the lessons on youtube.

I want to create multiple levels with the level editor gzdoom builder for my shooter just by replacing textures and sprites sounds with music and have this shooter run as a standalone game through the free doom port

In one paragraph, you've asked for lessons for how to do something that could take many months to learn and become proficient, and could take many more months to actually produce your final product.

I am not trying to discourage you, but it sounds like you don't have much experience. If that's true, here's what I suggest:

Start out making some very small maps, using stock resources. You must learn to walk before you can run. Learn how standard maps are built. This will take some time. Once you start to get good at making maps, you can start to pursue some more advanced topics, like replacing textures, sounds, music, etc. And, after you master that, you can start to research how to build and add things like models.

I suggest moving slowly, and learning as you go. There's a lot to learn, and, if you try to do too much at once, it can be easy to become frustrated. Good luck!

Edited by kb1

On 5/18/2019 at 3:29 PM, Loud Silence said:

If you want to create something you could call "MY shooter", then you need to make your own engine for that. Now it would be YOUR mod or megawad for Doom.

Following your logic, Heretic and Hexen are mods for Doom, Blood and Shadow Warrior are mods for Duke 3D, RTCW is a Quake 3 mod, and all the other games powered by already-existing engines like Unreal Engine, Unity, etc. aren't real games but just mods because devs didn't make their own engines.

Have you considered using the Quake 1 source as your base? That's actually a true 3D engine, with 3D enemy models, 3D walls and floors and lifts. Normally it is harder to create maps for, but it will be actual 3D, which is what you seem to want.

On 8/16/2023 at 9:36 PM, Stabbey said:

Have you considered using the Quake 1 source as your base? That's actually a true 3D engine, with 3D enemy models, 3D walls and floors and lifts. Normally it is harder to create maps for, but it will be actual 3D, which is what you seem to want.

Quake hasn't been harder to create maps for since TrenchBroom, in fact for me it's easier than Doom mapping as you can edit directly in the 3D view, something that Ultimate Doom Builder lacks.

It's a shame work on the Doomsday source port ceased when it did. SKyjake was just putting the finishing touches on a new scriptable model system that allowed one to animate models independently of it's mobj states (i.e it is my understanding you could make a special animation for a model turning to the right for instance) and turn anything into a model (i.e walls, floors etc). It also supported skeletal animation and much more advanced model formats than any other Doom port (i.e MD5 etc, it was based off the Assimp libary).

Here was a HeXen model pack that was in depvelopment for Dday: https://talk.dengine.net/discussion/2910/elv-project-hexen

Edited by Vermil

things you will probably need:

• Blender
  • Ultimate Doom Builder (on the UDMF configuration)
  • The latest version of GZDoom

I have no experience with doom 3d models, good luck!

On 8/19/2023 at 3:00 PM, Vermil said:

It's a shame work on the Doomsday source port ceased when it did. SKyjake was just putting the finishing touches on a new scriptable model system that allowed one to animate models independently of it's mobj states (i.e it is my understanding you could make a special animation for a model turning to the right for instance) and turn anything into a model (i.e walls, floors etc). It also supported skeletal animation and much more advanced model formats than any other Doom port (i.e MD5 etc, it was based off the Assimp libary).

Here was a HeXen model pack that was in depvelopment for Dday: https://talk.dengine.net/discussion/2910/elv-project-hexen

I mean, it's not like Doomsday and Hexen ELV aren't going to receive new updates, it's just that the person working on the mod has a full time job now and the developer doesn't have a lot of reasons to update the engine since that was basically the only relevant mod being made. Most people have noticed how 3D polygonal models don't work well with Doom by now, but with Hexen they might still work, of course voxels are more relevant than ever now, and Skyjake said he was planning to support it back when they were added to ZDoom first, but at the time no one used the feature. Honestly I think that what Doomsday really needs right now are simple features that bring it closer to DSDA rather than ultra HD features.