Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

the best thing in freesave feature is that you can choose how you like to play. the same is for cheat codes. after all, i don't really care what game author thinks is fun, i only care of what I think is fun. that's why having options to choose is great: everybody can having fun in the way they like.

5 hours ago, seed said:

Except some of us have accepted we suck anyway, in addition to not having any fun in restarting the map from the beginning only to die in the same place over and over like idiots. Waste of time and pointless frustration, an exercise in futility.

Idk, playing a game is already an exercise in futility imo. Of course, anyone should do whatever they want, I just don't understand what's the fun if you can't lose. Btw, I suck at Doom as well, but I'm fully aware I'm cheating if I use a cheat code for example. It's more or less what I tried to say.

Edited by Noiser

11 minutes ago, Noiser said:

Playing a game is an exercise in futility by itself. Of course, anyone should do whatever they want, I just don't understand what's the fun if you can't lose. Btw, I suck at Doom as well, but I'm fully aware I'm cheating if I use a cheat code for example. It's more or less what I tried to say.

I know, I got your point mate, I was just saying that some of us just no longer have the desire or patience to go through difficult maps and keep restarting the map when we die until our fingers fall off, and because we don't wish to ever revisit the said map(s) or megawad(s) after they're done, we see no problem in save scumming just to be done with them and move on, even if that sometimes has the consequence of preventing us from learning the mechanics of the encounters or traps because we're doing it the cheap way and thus not learning anything in the process.

I pretty much gave up on improving my skills since I'm pretty confident I hit a dead end. Sure, much better than I was back in 2015 when I returned to classic Doom, but it's still nowhere I want myself to be and as I keep dying when it's easy and repeating some of the same mistakes I did back then, it seems I'm never going to learn my lesson. That, and having past experience with never improving at some video games makes me not even want to bother with this anymore.

1 hour ago, seed said:

I pretty much gave up on improving my skills since I'm pretty confident I hit a dead end. Sure, much better than I was back in 2015 when I returned to classic Doom, but it's still nowhere I want myself to be and as I keep dying when it's easy and repeating some of the same mistakes I did back then, it seems I'm never going to learn my lesson. That, and having past experience with never improving at some video games makes me not even want to bother with this anymore.

Nah, you can do it man! Of course, the only thing that really matters is having fun. But if you want to improve and feel like you could have a good time, you should not give up.

I started playing a little better when I realized that I should view Doom not only as a run-and-gun, but a strategy game. It almost feel like chess, but on real-time: The monsters are the pieces, each one with a unique "movement" who needs a different strategy and prioritization to be defeated. Playing with attention makes all the difference. I still have a lot to learn though.

14 minutes ago, Noiser said:

Nah, you can do it man! Of course, the only thing that really matters is having fun. But if you want to improve and feel like you could have a good time, you should not give up.

I dunno man, looking at my Ironman runs only reminds me of how bad I am after all this time. I still can't believe I died on MAP02 of Plutonia lol.

And I had another chance to prove myself this month, with Stardate 20x6 and unsurprisingly, I died on MAP01. I think Ironman demos runs are a pretty good measurement, and if they're any indication then I'm definitely not improving at all anymore, if anything it's getting worse. Maybe I will, I've been wrong many times before, but for now that's at the very bottom on my list of priorities regarding Doom.

Mapping challenge if anyone wants some practice. 

Small map with...

- chainsaw and BFG as only weapons

- a SS Nazi is the miniboss of the map and has to be dangerous

- set in a place of modern capitalism (store, bank, etc. your pick)

No other restrictions. 

Can it be done? Show me. 

4 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Mapping challenge if anyone wants some practice. 

Small map with...

- chainsaw and BFG as only weapons

- a SS Nazi is the miniboss of the map and has to be dangerous

- set in a place of modern capitalism (store, bank, etc. your pick)

No other restrictions. 

Can it be done? Show me. 

I could imagine the SS trooper being on a raised dais in the center of the map. So long as he is standing on top of it, you can't hurt him; you need the BFG with its area attack to blow him up (and I'd figure he'd get a map-ending boss trigger, E2M8 Cyberdemon style). Otherwise, a raised room would work; though this would offer significantly larger "dead zones" in which you'd be perfectly safe from him.

Lots of store shelves, or ATMs, or whatnot spaced around for cover. Ideally no monsters on the ground that can shoot back at the SS trooper and kill him before you have the chance. That means skulking around facing Pinkies, or there being no monsters at all and it being a puzzle map.

Regarding Doom mods, I consider myself open-minded and ready for something unusual. Still, there are works that intimidate me by their size or the amount of new content.  They feel too big, too complex for me. From time to time I download one of them, launch it, admire for a bit, and... close it till next time. This unwillingness to learn isn't usual for me, and this makes me uneasy.

Remember "TIXƎ"?

If you can recall it from more than 20 months ago, then perhaps you've already read how in response, this one fine fellow Jimmy called me a(n):

On 8/3/2017 at 8:10 PM, Jimmy said:

[...] poor sod.

Well, excuse me, for I am not eligible to be called like that, but, in fact, far worse. :P Because "TIXƎ" pales in comparison to some anomaly somewhere else in the very same map. Coming up next...
PoorSod_2.png.c5bff289bbbb14ad33b56e65f4b1c39d.png
... not actually yet. The texture you see above is a black recolor of GSTONE1 (or SP_HOT1 for that matter), and people with enough experience around texturing know how making a gap like this doesn't compliment the other side of the wall very well, unlike in the case of STONE2 or almost any other bricky walltexture whatsoever, large or small alike.
So! This is how the inside of this pseudo-building looks like:
PoorSod_3.png.700c2289180b2b487b07080428ef8f73.png
Whaaat?! This actually fits!! But how???
Showcasing it! And mind the metal bordering on both sides, those play an essential role.
PoorSod.png.15f245d98fadb67c25ccbf7d642c21eb.png
Yup, you see that right... I took every single mappixel and backwards-aligned them horizontally each. This is how I "flipped" the texture. And yeah, it took a lot of time and effort. And also yeah, "weaker" ports might have the liability to glitch out if you're proceeding to grab that blue skullkey.

This might seem like a ludicrously high dose of attention to detail, and I can guarantee that it is. The sole reason I didn't use Jimmy's (a) and (b) choices is because of the limitations of the late community project the map is part of. But guess what? Despite being a tedious, meticulous task to do this, I enjoyed every second of it back in August '13.

Edited by Cell

I never use the alternate HUD or Boom HUD (for ports that have it as an option) in Doom.

I dunno, but it just feels "wrong" to me, somehow. Besides, I really don't like how the back of the SSG without the status bar.

@Cell Amazing work, I just saw this. Seems ludicrous, yes, but it's also strangely mesmerizing.

22 hours ago, seed said:

I never use the alternate HUD or Boom HUD (for ports that have it as an option) in Doom.

I dunno, but it just feels "wrong" to me, somehow. Besides, I really don't like how the back of the SSG without the status bar.

Personally, I don't like the look of the Boom HUD. It kinda doesn't look like a game HUD to me. It looks more like I enabled some hidden technical data or some cheats or something. I know it's a very classic HUD at this point but I could never get used to it.

34 minutes ago, UNERXAi said:

Personally, I don't like the look of the Boom HUD. It kinda doesn't look like a game HUD to me. It looks more like I enabled some hidden technical data or some cheats or something. I know it's a very classic HUD at this point but I could never get used to it.

I actually like it, more so than the alternate one at the very least. It's quite detailed for sure, but I think its design also fits a game like Doom very well.

Just now, seed said:

I actually like it, more so than the alternate one at the very least. It's quite detailed for sure, but I think its design also fits a game like Doom very well.

What do you mean by the alternate one? This is the one I was talking about.

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

Or maybe you mean gzdoom's?

41 minutes ago, UNERXAi said:

What do you mean by the alternate one? This is the one I was talking about.

Hide contents

maxresdefault.jpg

Or maybe you mean gzdoom's?

By alternate I mean what you get when setting Screen Size to the max in most ports.

11 hours ago, seed said:

By alternate I mean what you get when setting Screen Size to the max in most ports.

Yeah that's what i consider to be the alternate one as well. I rarely if ever use that one tbh. I personally like to use the original HUD/status bar, especially since some PWADs have custom status bars.

Hm... bit of a list...

- I can't play Doom without mods or at least mouse-look (up and down included), and other modern conveniences anymore. I'm spoiled by late-90's controls.... 

- Try as I might, I just can't play Doom 3 to completion. I love the atmosphere, it inspired me a great deal, but actually playing it always bored me eventually...

- Did not play past the first couple of levels of Plutonia. The levels just kind of annoyed me.

And now, the biggest sin/ regret: 

- Despite the fact that Doom, in a  lot of ways, inspired me to start making games, I have never made a custom wad of any kind. I still occasionally think about trying my hand, but thus far it simply hasn't happened... 

Often if I want to play a wad and don't want to bother loading the pwads/iwad the normal way (especially if the iwad isn't doom2.wad), I'll just load up someone's demo from DSDA and immediately start a new game. Lazy, I know.

- I'm yet to actually play NRFTL.

- Not Doom but whatever. I actually can't stand playing Wolf 3D for extended periods of time. The bright colors, corridors, and lack of height variation really messes with my eyes/mind. I think it also gives me motion sickness (I get dizzy after a while) so I basically have to force myself to take it slow, otherwise my brain just crashes pretty fast. One hour of Wolf 3D is the farthest I could get without having to take a break. Yes, this also means I'm yet to finish it myself.

- Although I find crosshairs or iron sights indispensable in most true 3D games (not in Quake, for instance), in Doom having a crosshair actually makes my aiming worse/more difficult. Even when I played Hexen with freelook I made sure not to use one. I do like having a crosshair in Build engine games though, I find them useful there, particularly in Blood.

I burned out on making Doom over a month ago and don't know when it's going to come back. Last time I burned out it took me a year to get back into it. It's kinda annoying.

Brutal Doom made me start playing again after 20 almost years, and I even thought it was better than the original at first. *shudder*

On 5/6/2019 at 9:12 PM, seed said:

- I'm yet to actually play NRFTL.

Man, you are in for a good time.

okay at this point I've completely accepted that unless I want to take it way too slow and unfun, I am physically incapable of running MAP01 without getting shot by a zombieman once for 15 damage.

I swear the game's RNG sequences (even in ports where the RNG is changed) are programmed to explicitly ensure that one zombieman that does hit me does 15 damage. heh

I've just realised that the yellow key in E1M3 is completly optional. I mean, I've played the level dozen of times and in the laziest moments I've also skipped the yellow key part grabbing only the blue key. But for some reason EVERY, EVERY time I played the optional part I tought "yeeeeah know I'm going to use this key to complete the level".

And also, after realising all of this I've spent 5 minutes to further realise that the door that leads to the secret with the soulsphere is meant to be opened with that key. I've always played that part of the level only for 100% purpose so with the yellow key in my inventory (or probably I further tought "wooow another (??) thing that the yellow key opens)

On 5/21/2019 at 12:30 PM, Kira said:

Man, you are in for a good time.

I know, I've seen walkthrough videos of it and it seems to be pretty solid, I just don't have the time yet.

Spoiler

also bankrupt & other things waiting on the plate

I wen't to some places on the internet and read stuff I shouldn't be reading.

I regret everything I learned... but learning makes you smarter right?? 

1 hour ago, vanilla_d00m said:

I wen't to some places on the internet and read stuff I shouldn't be reading.

I regret everything I learned... but learning makes you smarter right?? 

Not if you're reading lies and bullshit spewed by con men. FACTUAL learning makes you smarter, as does critical thinking.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:57 PM, Simomarchi said:

the door that leads to the secret with the soulsphere is meant to be opened with that key.

No it ain't