Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vanilla_d00m

Skateboarding

I still have my skateboard and my slipknot cd in the closet... but all I can do is a kickflip.

do any of you all skateboard?? and who are ur fav skaters??

Mine are:

Tony Hawk

Andrew Reynolds

Chad Muska

Mike Vallely 

Bam Magera

Eric Koston

and offcourse.... RODNEY MULLEN.

Edited by vanilla_d00m

Used to watch Yeah Right! a lot back in the day. Some of my favorite skaters appeared on that tape and blew my mind, one of them of course being Eric Koston. I really liked street skating more, so I wasn't really into Tony Hawk or Bob Burnquist or anyone else who were big vert guys.

As far as tricks, I couldn't do too much, but I could consistently do heelflips and kickflips. Varial kickflips 3 out of 4 times I could land, could barely 360 flip. Pop shuvs and a few grinds here and there.

A kid I know from my hometown and used to skate with is really good: 

When I was younger skateboarding was at its peak (X-Games and Xtreme everything and new THPS releases constantly and skateboarding hitting the mainstream in style and popularity). So obviously I loved the idea of it. I convinced my mom finally to let me have one (it was also a big thing in the news/at the pediatrician that skateboarding was this highly dangerous endeavour you shouldn’t let your kids partake in). I feel like in the beginning a condition was wearing 50 million pads and a helmet (which I had from my rollerblading days that preceded this). Eventually it just because helmet only.

All the cool older kids skateboarded which I think fed into it also. Since I was a little kid all the skater teens who seemed so grown up at the time but were probably like 14 were the peak of cool. They also were generally nice, one of them was my friends older brother and he was actually pretty good unlike 90% of wannabes including myself.

Anyway I got a Birdhouse deck and started skating. I wasn’t that great but occasionally I’d pull some stuff off. I remember the first time I actually ollied was so cool because that is a real challenging thing to get right especially as a kid. However I also was always too hesitant and nervous to be a good skater, I’d psych myself out if I had any speed because I still risked flying on my back 50% of the time and when my parents would take my and my brother to skateparks out in Jersey (since Philly just had unofficial skate areas that were always fought over between police and kids) I would be too scared to drop in off any ramp or bowl that was more than like a foot high.

Anyway for obvious reasons I never went pro but I still walk past kids on skateboards pretty much daily in NYC and always feel a kind of nostalgic rush to try landing some stupid Ollie or whatever again because even though I sucked I miss when you’d go around with friends on skateboards or rollerblades or Razors or bikes. I think a lot of childhood nostalgia is overrated and rose-tinted but running around in the sun in like a playground or park was always pretty fun.

I used to have a skateboard when I was a kid but there wasn't a lot of places to skate. The road I lived on was dirt. lol My buddy had a long driveway that was paved so we used to use that to skate on and his dad put up a basketball net, so we'd hang around there sometimes in the summer. I just remembered that I also used to buy some skateboard magazine. Anyhow, I really wasn't all that good at the whole skateboarding thing.

I was more into bicycles and used to get old bikes nobody wanted anymore and I'd fix em up. Sometimes I'd find a frame or a set of forks or whatever from an illegal dump where people used to just offload their old cars n stuff, which sometimes included bike parts.

I used to skateboard when I was 15-16, could land some kickflips and even a varial kickflip one or twice. I stopped when I broke my arm the next winter, unrelated to skateboarding.

Also, Rodney Mullen FTW :P

Those are some great stories guys... i was never good but i can still land a kickflip.  Waaay Back then I would try so hard to learn new things but i couldnt do it no matter how hard I tried, it was scary and I only skated flat ground.

I was really a wuss... i remember I randomly played one guy in a game of skate (1 skater does a trick and if he lands it, the other skater has to do it.  You keep going untill someone spells S.K.A.T.E and thats when you lose I believe) at a school when everyone was out, I lost and he took my board (chad muska one??) and I started crying a river.  

It was sooooooo bad he gave me the board back... lesson learned, don't play somebody better then you and for keeps (he was waaaaay out of my league... like 100% more.  Dude popped his tricks waist high and grinded on lunchtables wtf at the school)

But I'm glad and O.K.... i'm really ok was just doing a kickflip and skating flatground, its just all about having fun right??

My personnel story LOL :)  check this video out... the skater with the best style!

Edited by vanilla_d00m

On 5/21/2019 at 12:19 PM, R4L said:

Used to watch Yeah Right! a lot back in the day. Some of my favorite skaters appeared on that tape and blew my mind, one of them of course being Eric Koston. I really liked street skating more, so I wasn't really into Tony Hawk or Bob Burnquist or anyone else who were big vert guys.

As far as tricks, I couldn't do too much, but I could consistently do heelflips and kickflips. Varial kickflips 3 out of 4 times I could land, could barely 360 flip. Pop shuvs and a few grinds here and there.

A kid I know from my hometown and used to skate with is really good: 

Wow.... that manual at the beginning was gnarly.  I could never get manuals, maybe a second or 2 if im lucky.

Lol.... im shure ur friend is sponsored??  that was to out of my league.   I never jumped err or ollied a stairset EVER... just a curb.

I have kickflipped a pretty high curb though and when I landed it... no words can describe it.

Wen't home telling everyone the greatest achievement I ever made in my life. 

On 5/21/2019 at 12:21 PM, Nine Inch Heels said:

I heard about beagle saying that baker 4 is coming out this year.  Thrasher... I remember that Thrasher skate and destroy game for PSX, its also how I found out who Jake Phelps was (R.I.P) and to me... he was like the mascot to skateboarding.  Alot of people seem to not like his attitute and stuff, to me i just thought it was just him being himself.

My cousin in L.A had a trasher magazine.... and when i first saw this THRASHER logo on the cover, I knew for shure something was going to be awsome in this magazine, and it was lol (SKATEBOARDING!)

Those skater of the year videos are cool too.   Its a real shame hes gone.

2 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

Wow.... that manual at the beginning was gnarly.  I could never get manuals, maybe a second or 2 if im lucky.

Lol.... im shure ur friend is sponsored??  that was to out of my league.   I never jumped err or ollied a stairset EVER... just a curb.

I have kickflipped a pretty high curb though and when I landed it... no words can describe it.

Wen't home telling everyone the greatest achievement I ever made in my life. 

Nope, not sponsored. He's a regular guy now working a full time job with kids. I do t think he skates anymore... That video is pretty old.

LOL but that talent!

If I had ever gotten to that level and if life got in the way... i would try to find a way somehow to skate, even if it is just for 5 minutes in the living room carpet doing stationary tricks late at night.

If i didnt get sponsored, then it can be a hobby and a way to burn some calories.

I used to love to skate. I had a cat that would skate :) He'd wait for you to push the board, and he'd hop on and ride it till it stopped. Then he'd wait again :)

3 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Skateboard Doom.  Someone get on that.

8 hours ago, Kira said:

[THPS3 video]

Holy shit, I forgot this was even a thing! I actually remember unlocking Doomguy in THPS3 at some point!

I never really got into skateboarding as a kid, but I used to be an avid surfer. In Counter-Strike, that is.