Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
plynthus

VDP-MonsterRandomizer - UPDATED September 1, 2022

DOWNLOAD "Vanilla Doom Plus" -monster randomizer

MAKE SURE TO NOT LOAD VDP-NeutralMonster.pk3 ANYMORE
If you have downloaded the August 26th version of the main mod file. It's an in-game setting now and the VDP-NeutralMonster.pk3 is outdated.

Unfinished bonus. Adds "Spawn Any Monster" menu:
VDP-SpawnAnyMonster(unfinished).wad
Load this with the main mod. Load order shouldn’t matter here. I'll add this to the main mod file once it's completed and tested properly.
More details:

Spoiler

It now should include all the monsters including decoration object replacers, power-ups and power-up replacers.
You can spawn "Normal" and "Friend" versions of each monster.
Some additional key bindings to help you have more fun with different monsters. For now these include:
"kill target", "kill all monsters", "freeze monsters", "god mode" and "no clipping"
You can bind a shorcut key to the spawn menu in GZDoom's "Customize Controls" menu.

It's still unfinished. I'll try to clean it up a bit. It's not going to look much better, but some improvements.
And requires some more testing.

I've fully tested all the monsters and power ups. Normal and Friend.
Everything works as intended. Except RedDemon(Revenant Replacer normal spawn doesn't do anything. Friend spawn works.
Until I post an update if you want to spawn that monster you can open console and type "summon reddemon".

The pictures in the menu might not perfectly match what you get. If one monster uses another monster's sprites, but has a color translation. It will show you the sprite with it's original color.
And there's some scaled monsters as well, but you'll see the original size.
The size thing I'm probably going to update at some point, but the color thing will stay. The pictures in the menu is just a bonus anyway.

Also most Doom II monsters and some of their replacers will be missing some sprites/sounds if used in Doom/Ultimate Doom.

Posting this another unfinished version now, because there's a lot of progress since the previous. And my progress for finishing this will still be slow.

UPDATE INFO August/September 2022:

Spoiler

September 1st:

-removed GHOST flag from few monsters.
this change should have no affect on anything unless you use specific mod/mods.
with "Doom Rougelike Arsenal" mod the GHOST flag made those monsters to have certain unintended properties.
thanks to Exibius for pointing this out!

August 26th:

VIDEO UPDATE

-added "monster types" setting(found in vdp settings/extra options).
VDP-NeutralMonsters.pk3 is not required anymore. it's finally an in-game setting.

-added monsters:

for ShotgunGuy:
-FlamerZombie
-KarasawaGuy

for ChaingunGuy:
-Crash (actor name "crash2")
-DevastatorZombie
-DuneWarrior
-NailBorg
-NailBorgCommando
-RocketGuy2
-PyroZombie

for Demon:
-BloodDemonCloneZ
-D3Wraith

for Spectre:
-D3Wraith2 (slightly slower translucent version of D3Wraith.)

for LostSoul:
-Stalker (actor name "OutcastStalker")

for Cacodemon:
-Grell
-ZombieFlyer

for HellKnight:
-UberImp
-UberSTImp
-UberVoidImp
-UberImpAbomination
-UberCyberImp
(I got the original UberImp also from "The [ZDoom Community Map] Project Take 1")
Because visually UberImp was only a color translation, I was also able to combine it with:
STImp, VoidImp, ImpAbomination and CyberImp (these were already in the mod as Imp replacers) to make multiple variations.
They have different projectiles, but I kept their attack patterns the same so it's easier to learn them.
All of them have different amount of health and some of them different speed. Spawn chances are equal for all.

for BaronOfHell:
-Marauder
Very nerfed version. Same attacks, but very different behaviour from original.
Because Marauder is an official Doom monster I added an option to spawn "RealMarauder" instead.
Pretty much unchanged. And it's way too strong as a Baron replacer, but it's there if you want it.
This setting affects only after restarting or changing a level.

for Arachnotron:
-ZombieTank
-ZombieMissileTank

+9(17 if you count all variations) very rare joke-ish monsters.

-added an option to replace hitscan attacks with projectile ones. which affects monsters that have any hitscan attacks and replace a non-hitscan monster.
Changing this setting affects immediately. It's off by default.
Currently affects these monsters:
Medusa, Haedexebus, CGunspider, Arachnophyte, Marauder(RealMarauder is not affected by this) and Terminator. Also tweaked their normal hitscan attacks. the ones that also have projectile attacks now does hitscan more rarely. and the others randomly stop their hitscan attack to move little bit before attacking again.
Also makes ZombieTanks and ZombieFlyer to never spawn alive Zombie when destroyed. Normally 50% chance.
If I missed any monsters that belong in this category. I will update them later.
I think rail attacks count as hitscan too. But I left Lasershark, BeamRevenant and RailArachnotron unaffected.
Because they all have a charge sound making their attacks fully dodgeable.

-added "Display VDP Monster Counter" option.
shows separate monster counts(kills/total) for:
 -All Monsters
 -Normal Monsters
 -Replacers

-added these to Monster Mixer:
 -ChaingunGuy
 -PainElemental
 -HellKnight
to also replace:
 -ShotgunGuy
 -Cacodemon
 -Baron of Hell
I also added spawn chance settings for these ones.
And "Attack options" for this Pain Elemental: [Normal Only], [Normal + Cacodemon shot], [Cacodemon shot ONLY].
So the Lost Soul spawning wouldn't break the original balance too much.

-added "Display Map Special info" option
it shows:
 -which map special
 -which special action
 -and monster counter for the monster type/types you need to kill to trigger the special action.
Most likely a useless feature for most. I only added it because I already used a simpler version when testing.
But MAYBE this could be helpful if you get stuck in a map. You could turn it on just to check if there's something like this.

-added options to set all "Replacer Spawn Chances" at once to specific setting. and an option to reset all vdp settings except spawn chance settings to defaults.

-made it possible to choose between demon/spectre and lost soul replacers with the setting "Disable any long range attacks by replacers of...".
Before it was all or nothing.

-changed the hitscan attack of GhostRevenant into a homing projectile. Also added another projectile attack. And made this monster less rare because of these changes.
Getting hit by it the homing projectile causes the same blinding effect, but it's shorter and instead of taking 200% damage during the effect you'll only take 150%.
The other attack is more common, faster, non-homing and doesn't cause the blinding effect.

-the bomb spawned by Catharsi(Imp replacer) now has a chance to be a "dud". collecting the dud bomb gives one rocket to the player.
In the past I also added a chance for the bomb to be fast or slow.
The faster the bomb is the more likely it is for it to be a dud.

-made the attack of imp replacer "illus" more readable. By adding a sound effect and slowing down the animation.
I made this change to make it easier to dodge. Because now you know exactly when it's coming.
I also slowed down the melee animation of the ghost "projection" thing, giving you more time to get out of the way, even if it reaches you.

-fixed decoration object replacer swarm dead bodies clipping through floor more than the original bodies. also made them more rare.
I wouldn't mind if there was a very subtle visual tell when it's a swarm.
But the floor clipping thing wasn't intentional. And not the kind of tell I'd like to have.

-gave the Defiler's(Pain Elemental replacer) lost soul looking homing projectiles a random chance to die over time.
Because you can't shoot them and they're homing at you. You usually would need cover to get rid of them.

-nerfed/buffed Desentinel(Pain Elemental replacer).
It had an attack where it shoots fireballs at very fast rate and wouldn't stop until you hurt it or you hide.
I slowed down the fire rate making it possible to run between the shots. But they also deal twice as much damage now.
It also now has a random chance of breaking out of that loop.

-Revghoul's(Revenant replacer) poison shot doesn't cause infighting with Revenants and other Revenant replacers anymore.

-Avatar(Archvile replacer) buffed/nerfed, but mostly nerfed.
Only buff is that it can also resurrect monsters now.(archvile replacers being able to resurrect can be disabled in the extra settings.)
I nerfed most attacks. Because it was able to kill the player too fast.

-nerfed femaleplasma
slower firerate and lower health
It was too dangerous as zombieman replacer. But it's still pretty strong.

-nerfed the sound PlasmaElemental makes when it dies.
On death it shoots multiple plasmaballs to many directions at the same time.
The sound effect stacks and becomes way too loud.
Now it's louder than a single shot, but far from what it used to be.

-a lot of little fixes/tweaks here and there.

PREVIOUS UPDATES:

Spoiler

UPDATE INFO July 2022:

Spoiler

July 25th:
-Renamed couple sprites to make this compatible with Highway Acceleroid Booster mod.

Thanks to Rodrigo Ferreira for pointing out this issue to me on Youtube.

-Changed "REPLACER SETTINGS" option menu name to "VDP SETTINGS".
to make it even more clear if you're using multiple mods at the same time.

No update was necessary for:
VDP-NeutralMonsters.pk3
VDP-OldGZ_Compatibility.pk3

July 20th:

-Improved compatibility with more advanced map formats.
For example all Map Specials now work correctly using WadSmoosh.

Map specials are now checked from MAPINFO(huge thanks to Blue Shadow and Player701 for all the answers I needed in ZDoom forum / Scripting.), as well as which special action is used. Instead of only checking cluster and map number(which worked perfect on official games and vanilla maps).

Also I used to give TIDs(thing ID/Tag) to Baron, Cyberdemon, Mastermind, Mancubus and Arachnotron replacers to get the map specials to work. Those aren't needed anymore, which also should improve compatibility in more advanced map formats.

Also removed A_BOSSDEATH from every monster that had it. So no accidental triggering of Map Specials should happen anymore.

-Fixed "Reset to defaults" possibly causing problems with other mods settings.
With Custom Doom all settings got messed up when I used VDP's reset to defaults.

That was a recent mistake and is now fixed.

-Removed "LookAllAround" flag from BruiserDemon.
As a strong Cyberdemon replacer it could cause very unfair situations depending on map.

-Added the latest monsters to CCARDS.txt lump(Corruption Cards mod compatibility by Someone64.)

VDP-NeutralMonsters was also updated

July 17th:
-Fixed Map Specials not triggering correctly(on GZDOOM 4.7.0 or newer).

July 16th:

VIDEO UPDATE

-added new monster replacers for:

Lost Soul:
  ImpBat, GiantBat and Harpy

(ImpBat and GiantBat have "sleeping" variants in the code. I tried adding them as decoration object replacers. But they would always spawn on the floor instead of ceiling like Hangman. Couldn't get them to work right. So for now they're disabled.)

Cacodemon:
  BloodGhost

Arachnotron:
  ZombiePlasmaTank

-updated these monsters(with the actual updates from Realm667):

SlimeWorm
(visuals, sounds and behaviour. this one I added as a variant for the older version. but I updated the sounds of the older version as well. because the new ones are much better in my opinion.)

RotWraith
(visuals, sounds and behaviour. plus added RotWraithBuried variant as a decoration object replacer for "BigTree")

SuperDemon
(visuals and behaviour.)

-added an option to disable arch-vile replacers being able to resurrect dead monsters.
(only few of them can do that anyway. but because there are so many different monsters it's hard to keep track which ones can do stuff like resurrect others.)

-added some missing monsters when using the "monster mixer" settings.

-updated a decoration replacer "swarm(swarm of flies that burst out of a dead body)" to always replace the dead monsters with correct dead body.
(it used to replace dead player, dead demon, dead imp, dead zombie man and dead shotgunguy all with a random dead body.)

-Cleaned up a lot of the code in Miscellaneous.txt and Menus.txt.
(won't effect gameplay at all. but it's easier to understand if you want to edit the mod)

-made zscript actors their own .txt lumps instead of having them all in one.
(also doesn't affect gameplay)

VDP-NeutralMonsters.pk3 was also updated for these changes.

UPDATE INFO MARCH 2022:

Spoiler

-Added compatibility with "Corruption Cards" mod thanks to a CCARDS.txt lump written by Someone64.
-Creatures spawned by "ShadowBeast" don't count as monsters anymore.
This is how it would happen before:

As you can see in the upper right corner. Total number of monsters goes up by 5, but their deaths never counted.

No update for "VDP-NeutralMonsters"

UPDATE INFO MAY-JUNE 2021:

Spoiler

May 29th:

Added 2 new monsters:
"SuperDevil" for Imp
"Loper" for Demon

-Ammo is no longer replaced by anything, so it shouldn't cause ammo related conflicts with weapon mods anymore.
-Now each monster that drop ammo has a small chance to drop an extra clip or shell. And a very small chance to drop one of those ammo kits as a bonus.
-Zombie replacers that used to drop cells on death(plasma zombies etc.) now only have a 25% chance to do so.
-Nerfed the damage output of Uberchain and UnmakerGuy. And made them little bit more rare.

May 30th:

-More balancing for ammo drops.

May 31st
-Even more balancing for ammo drops.
-Nerfed an attack by LesserMutant.

June 5th
-Added an option for non-zombie monsters to also drop ammo.
Options are: OFF, 25% chance, 50% chance, 75% chance, Always, Always + equal chance for every ammo type.
It's OFF by default. It's mainly there as a backup. For example if you're playing something that doesn't have many zombie enemies, you're also not going to get any extra ammo.
Normally ammo drops from monsters will only give you half the value, but these will give full. I'd recommend starting from "25% chance" if you feel like you need it.
Quick video example how it works:
-Added a healing limit for Roach(that green imp replacer that has a lot of health), and gave it an additional alternate attack.
It used to be able to heal itself forever.
If you hurt it enough it will trigger a state where it runs away from you until it's healed enough.
Now when that happens, if it manages to heal itself as high as it can. After that it won't be able to heal at all anymore. And will shoot slightly more powerful red versions of its normal shots.
-Doubled the mass of "HereticDarkImp" and "PlaugeImp".
Originally I scaled them to make them bigger to fit better to replace Cacodemon. But I never changed the mass. Now they're still light and will fly further away than Cacodemon when shot, but less than before.
-Moved a replacer: "Lord Of Heresy" from "Baron of Hell replacers" to "Hell Knight replacers" with reduced health.
VDP-NeutralMonsters was also updated for this change.
+some small changes here and there which I didn't write down.

June 8th
-Tornado Demon is no longer invulnerable during it's tornado spin attack. And can be interrupted if your attack triggers its pain state.
(this was supposed to be in previous update, but somehow I had missed it)
-Fixed BlindPinky dropping too much ammo when the new "Non-zombie monsters also drop ammo" option was on.
No update for "VDP-NeutralMonsters"

June 27th

-Added a new monster for Spectre:

"KDiZDNightmare"

VDP-NeutralMonsters was also updated for this.

UPDATE INFO MARCH 2021:

Spoiler

VIDEO UPDATE

16+ Added monsters(total is about 260 now)
The new ones are shown in the video update.

A lot of changes have been made for most of these.
Also there might be couple very rare less serious surprises added.

Little bit of fixing/balancing here and there
For example monsters that replace decoration objects don't count towards kill count anymore.
Because they can often be in places that are out of reach. Making 100% kills impossible.

COMPATIBILITY:

Spoiler

Works on GZDoom 4.7.0 and newer.

-If you're using an older version of GZDoom you can load this with the main mod file:
VDP-OldGZ_Compatibility.pk3

-If you are using another mod that replaces power-ups you might need to load this file:
VDP-Disable_PowerUpReplacers.pk3

The in-game setting to disable power-ups, found in the extra options menu won't fix it.
It will only disable the added power-ups from spawning, but still replaces the original power-ups with their copies.

-If you're playing maps or using another gameplay mod that replace decoration objects.
And you are only seeing normal ones. You can try loading this file with it:
VDP-Disable_DecorationReplacers.pk3

Same problem with the in-game setting to disable these as it is with power-up replacers.
Works great when only using VDP, but might cause compatibility issues with other mods.

For all these compatibility files load order is.
1. VDP-MonsterRandomizer.pk3
2. any of these compatibility files
(more than one can be loaded if necessary)

This monster randomizer currently has almost 300 added monsters.

Every monster has a specific set of monsters that can replace them.
And monsters that belong to same group mostly shouldn't infight each other. Unless the original monster already does that, like Lost Souls and Zombies for example.
By default settings this is still a very "subtle" randomizer.
The original monsters appear more often. To keep better balance. And also to keep surprising players with custom monsters they haven't seen yet, even after days of playing.
But there is "Replacer Settings" menu where you can customize the spawn chances to your liking. How often each original monster is replaced by custom one etc.

Some decoration objects also will rarely be replaced by stationary monsters and mimics.
And some Power-Ups will rarely be replaced by custom ones.
These can be turned off in the "Replacer Settings" menu.

The goal of this mod was to make a monster randomizer that only adds monsters(I did later add the few optional custom power ups). The kind of randomizer I would like to play.
The "Vanilla Doom Plus" was supposed to be a temporary name. As it can be a little misleading.
I wanted more monsters + vanilla gameplay. That's why I called it that. But it's not like other people need to play that way. You can play any way you like.
However I've tried to balance everything to vanilla gameplay(by default settings).
Now I mainly call this VDP-MonsterRandomizer. Which also might change at some point.

Originally I had no plans to make a mod myself. I was just trying to look for a mod like this, and I couldn't find one.
So I started editing "DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer". And I really liked what it started to shape into.
Then I decided to start from scratch. So that I can also share this with everyone, in case anyone else was interested in this kind of randomizer.

A lot of changes have been made to most of the custom monsters to make them fit better.
I want monsters to be about as dangerous as the original monster they're replacing. Some deal more damage, but have less health etc.
Some noticeably stronger/weaker ones are usually more rare.

If you're playing Doom 1 and want even more monster variety. There's a menu called "Monster Mixer" in the "Replacer Settings" menu.
You can mix some Doom II monster replacers with slight alterations into Doom 1 for specific monsters. It will make things harder as well.

This mod works on GZDOOM:
with DOOM, ULTIMATE DOOM, DOOM 2 and FINAL DOOM.
And should at least work with any mod that only adds maps.

VIDEOS(mostly using much earlier versions of this mod):

Spoiler

John Romero's 2022 Doom II map "One Humanity" UV-MAX

UPDATE January 20th 2020: 25 added monsters + new features

UPDATE June 25th 2019: 40 added monsters

Full Doom II Playthrough on Ultra Violence I think maps 08, 09, 10, 16, 17, 18 and 27 are the best for showcasing the monster variety with the mod.

Includes "No Rest For The Living" Episode!

Full Ultimate Doom Playthrough on Ultra-Violence (couple more videos before it's completed. SIGIL included.) I did use a Super Shotgun(using another mod) simply to make it more fun. There's a lot of monsters you won't see in Ultimate Doom, because all the added monsters will replace a specific monster. So no Doom II monsters means a lot less new monsters... Nevertheless, I enjoyed doing this one a lot!

And I also updated this mod between each episode.

Final Doom: The Plutonia Experiment MAP29 Odyssey of Noises

Doom II: MAP10 Refueling Base Different playthrough from the full Doom II videos. A lot of different monsters appeared.

(there's been multiple updates since I recorded these videos)

SCREENSHOTS:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20190522_201523.png.d9ffff98cd57492db38c08222d0423cb.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190522_201948.png.ec746dff237c0902d6e2cbe0223360e5.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190522_202131.png.cda16dfc0d30072245533ee491a65089.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190522_203006.png.0ba674fa563d046cab08ab30ee1ba11c.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190522_203626.png.e282aa5abcb95ddfcfc9755df6ff73db.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190522_203719.png.97e08afa7bb820a4db5587647e5a467c.png

rs1.jpg.aa1ce16f7390dc586b22768faeeb9d88.jpg

I've had a lot of fun making this.
Thanks to every cool monster made by various different people!
I hope you'll also have fun playing with this!

THE REAL CREDIT GOES TO:
-ID Software
-Raven Software
-Everyone who have worked on any of these monsters(monster info and credits are in the .pk3 file itself)
-Realm667
-DoomKrakken and DoomKrakken's Monster Randomizer(I used it a lot to see how these things are done in the beginning)
-And huge thanks to Doomworld users: Tango, Bryan T and whatup876//Someone64(who also made this compatible with Corruption Cards mod)! For helping me to fix couple issues with the mod. And great suggestions.

Edited by plynthus

1 hour ago, plynthus said:

I didn't know how I could have done that.

check out the Species actor property, it'll help you do exactly what you're looking for!

anyway, the mod looks cool :D I do love me some monster randomizers

1 minute ago, Tango said:

check out the Species actor property, it'll help you do exactly what you're looking for!

anyway, the mod looks cool :D I do love me some monster randomizers

Thanks for the info! I'll look more into this tomorrow. I'll post an update if I manage to make it work. Thanks.

I'm currently working on it. It's really easy fix. Thanks again Tango!

I tested in MAP12: The Factory. The red building that has a lot of imps inside it. They would pretty much all kill each other before.

But now nothing. So it's MUCH better now.

Monsters that replace monsters that already would infight with their own kind. I'll still let them infight with everyone of course.

UPDATE!(edit)

It's updated now. Some monsters have attacks that still can cause infighting, but I think it's rare enough.

On another subject...

Does anyone know how fix this?

I used to have a chance for D'Sparil from Heretic to replace Cyberdemon(not the most fitting, but I liked it).

The problem was that when you kill it. It will also kill every remaining monster in the map. In some maps that is a problem.

To my knowledge it should be something this DECORATE definition: https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:Sorcerer2

I just couldn't figure it out. It's not that important... But if it is an easy fix, I would want to do it.

Edited by plynthus

Well, from looking at the link A_Sor2DthInit "Kills all the monsters alive, friendly or not, and sets the calling actor's special1 field to 7. This is used to make D'Sparil's death animation loop several times" so just get rid of that.

21 minutes ago, Bryan T said:

Well, from looking at the link A_Sor2DthInit "Kills all the monsters alive, friendly or not, and sets the calling actor's special1 field to 7. This is used to make D'Sparil's death animation loop several times" so just get rid of that.

Thank you for your help Bryan T! I believe what you suggested for me to do would work.

The problem I have now is that I never added heretic monster decorates. I think they just are in zdoom by default. I only added sprites and sounds.

Now I have no idea how to remove something from those decorates. I also tried adding it manually as sorcerer3, but the game wouldn't start anymore.

Again if there's an easy fix, I would love to know. But it's not a huge loss if I can't make this work.

Thanks!

Okay, try this code and change the cyberdemon spawner accordly (Sorcerer1a). I haven't tested this but it should work fine.

Sorcerer1a : Sorcerer1
{
  States
  {
  Death:
    SRCR E 7
    SRCR F 7 A_Scream
    SRCR G 7
    SRCR HIJK 6
    SRCR L 25 A_PlaySound("dsparil/zap", CHAN_BODY, 1, FALSE, ATTN_NONE)
    SRCR MN 5
    SRCR O 4
    SRCR L 20 A_PlaySound("dsparil/zap", CHAN_BODY, 1, FALSE, ATTN_NONE)
    SRCR MN 5
    SRCR O 4
    SRCR L 12 A_ChangeFlag("SOLID",0)
    SRCR P -1 A_SpawnItemEx("Sorcerer2a") //A_SorcererRise
  }
}

ACTOR Sorcerer2a : Sorcerer2
{
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    SOR2 AB 4 NoDelay
    SOR2 C 4 A_PlaySound("dsparil/rise", CHAN_BODY, 1, FALSE, ATTN_NONE)
    SOR2 DEF 4
    SOR2 G 12 A_PlaySound("dsparil/sight", CHAN_BODY, 1, FALSE, ATTN_NONE)
    Goto See
  Death:
    SDTH A 8
    SDTH B 8
    SDTH C 8 A_PlaySound("dsparil/scream", CHAN_BODY, 1, FALSE, ATTN_NONE)
    SDTH DEFDEFDEFDEFDEFDEFDEF 7
    SDTH G 6 A_PlaySound("dsparil/explode", CHAN_BODY, 1, FALSE, ATTN_NONE)
    SDTH H 6
    SDTH I 18
    SDTH J 6 A_NoBlocking
    SDTH K 6 A_PlaySound("dsparil/bones", CHAN_BODY, 1, FALSE, ATTN_NONE)
    SDTH LMN 6
    SDTH O -1 A_BossDeath
    Stop
  }
}

Edited by Bryan T

13 hours ago, Bryan T said:

Okay, try this code and change the cyberdemon spawner accordly (Sorcerer1a). I haven't tested this but it should work fine.

Sorcerer1a : Sorcerer1
{
  States
  {
  Death:
    SRCR E 7
    SRCR F 7 A_Scream
    SRCR G 7
    SRCR HIJK 6
    SRCR L 25 A_PlaySound("dsparil/zap", CHAN_BODY, 1, FALSE, ATTN_NONE)
    SRCR MN 5
    SRCR O 4
    SRCR L 20 A_PlaySound("dsparil/zap", CHAN_BODY, 1, FALSE, ATTN_NONE)
    SRCR MN 5
    SRCR O 4
    SRCR L 12 A_ChangeFlag("SOLID",0)
    SRCR P -1 A_SpawnItemEx("Sorcerer2a") //A_SorcererRise
  }
}

ACTOR Sorcerer2a : Sorcerer2
{
  States
  {
  Spawn:
    SOR2 AB 4 NoDelay
    SOR2 C 4 A_PlaySound("dsparil/rise", CHAN_BODY, 1, FALSE, ATTN_NONE)
    SOR2 DEF 4
    SOR2 G 12 A_PlaySound("dsparil/sight", CHAN_BODY, 1, FALSE, ATTN_NONE)
    Goto See
  Death:
    SDTH A 8
    SDTH B 8
    SDTH C 8 A_PlaySound("dsparil/scream", CHAN_BODY, 1, FALSE, ATTN_NONE)
    SDTH DEFDEFDEFDEFDEFDEFDEF 7
    SDTH G 6 A_PlaySound("dsparil/explode", CHAN_BODY, 1, FALSE, ATTN_NONE)
    SDTH H 6
    SDTH I 18
    SDTH J 6 A_NoBlocking
    SDTH K 6 A_PlaySound("dsparil/bones", CHAN_BODY, 1, FALSE, ATTN_NONE)
    SDTH LMN 6
    SDTH O -1 A_BossDeath
    Stop
  }
}

Thank you so much for this!!

It worked perfect! The download link is now updated. I also thanked you and Tango at the end of the original post.

I only wish I would have come here for help when I was originally working on this about 8 months ago. Would have saved me a lot of hours that didn't even pay out.

People here seem to be very willing to help.

Thanks again!

For now I don't have anything on my to do list for this mod.

If anyone plays this.. feel free to let me know of any problems you might have with this.

If the problem is that new monsters don't show up often enough... That was my goal. I wanted the game to stay Doom, but you would keep finding more and more new monsters to add to the experience. You can play through all of Doom and Doom II, and there still would be monsters you haven't seen yet.

That said... just because it was my goal. I know it doesn't mean that you have to like it.

I downloaded all the monsters from Realm667. Most of the ones I didn't add, either didn't fit visually(sure I kept many that didn't fit... but if I liked them enough to keep them) or gameplay wise. I also nerfed and resized many of the monsters to fit Doom better. So if you want me to add a monster... I most likely have tried it already.

Unless they're new of course. Haven't checked for any new ones since I downloaded them about 8 months ago. So suggestions are still welcome!

(edit)

I didn't know you could scroll the realm667 bestiary by "Modified Date". I'm currently checking if there's new monsters that I would like to add.

Edited by plynthus

Come to think of it I think simply replacing "Sorcerer2" would've sufficed without having to alter Sorcerer1, not that it matters. If the code works that's all that matters. If you're as curious as I you can change one line and spawn Sorcerer1 to see.

ACTOR Sorcerer2a : Sorcerer2 replaces Sorcerer2

11 minutes ago, Bryan T said:

Come to think of it I think simply replacing "Sorcerer2" would've sufficed without having to alter Sorcerer1, not that it matters. If the code works that's all that matters. If you're as curious as I you can change one line and spawn Sorcerer1 to see.

ACTOR Sorcerer2a : Sorcerer2 replaces Sorcerer2

It worked! Like you said, not that it matters.

Because gameplay is exactly the same either way.

I'm still keeping Sorcerer1a because I also added "Species Cyberdemon" and "-NO TARGET" so that it would infight with everything except Cyberdemons, or any monster that replaces Cyberdemon. But I removed the "States" part of the code.

I won't update the download link for this until there's some changes that affect gameplay.

Thank you again!

Simply having them share the same species is good enough to avoid damaging and infighting each other (aside from radius damage but since this guy has NORADIUSDMG that's not a concern). NOTARGET makes it so other monsters can't fight back like the archvile has by default. Not sure if that's what you were going for but figured I'd mention it.

6 hours ago, Bryan T said:

Simply having them share the same species is good enough to avoid damaging and infighting each other (aside from radius damage but since this guy has NORADIUSDMG that's not a concern). NOTARGET makes it so other monsters can't fight back like the archvile has by default. Not sure if that's what you were going for but figured I'd mention it.

You are right about that!

I think I didn't make it very clear what I meant.

Both Sorcerer1 and Sorcerer2 has "+NOTARGET" by default. So I added "-NO TARGET". I didn't know that changing the + to - would work until I tried it. Now they can fight other monsters and also can be fought back. Which is the way I wanted.

I made a separate version just for fun that removes all of the regular Doom monsters, and only has the new ones. It's a lot more chaotic and the balance suffers a lot. But it can be a lot of fun! DOWNLOAD link for the latest version in the original post.

(Edit: In hindsight taking away the original monsters completely was unnecessary. I should just make them very rare. Future versions will have that.)

And I've been updating the link for the mod with new versions few times.

I finished a full Doom 2 playthrough today, and wrote a big list of changes I needed to make.
Did all those(fixing and balansing) and then went through all of the monster decorates, and made a lot of changes. Just trying to make cheap deaths as rare as possible... But this is a monster randomizer, so it can't be 100% avoided.

All these changes aren't necessary for these monsters normally. Like if they're being used in a map specifically designed to have those monsters in specific settings. But I must think about all the possible situations in the original maps. It can cause too much trouble if an enemy that doesn't shoot is replaced by something that does. Those are more rare and I've altered their health, pain chance and other stuff. Or if a non-flying enemy would be replaced by a flying one. Those are also rare.

Also I have a question for anyone who might know about this:
Is there a way to import Wolfenstein 3D enemies to Doom?

Not directly from the original game. I know it's a different engine. But remade versions for Doom. Kind of like in Wolfenstein 3D TC.
There probably is a way to take them from Wolfenstein 3D TC, but I assume those are not for free use? 

I'm asking because I would love to add some of them to replace the Wolfenstein SS soldiers, even if they're only in 2 maps in the official iwads.
Currently nothing is replacing them.

Edited by plynthus

EDIT: This post had a code related question. But I found the answers on my own so I removed the text... Was a long one.

Edited by plynthus

A big update here! Over 40 added monsters(here's a video showing all the new ones), so now there's about 180 in total. And also did a lot more changes again:

Spoiler

(some of the changes)

I also added few extra power-ups which are very rare. For example 1 out of 30 SoulSpheres will be replaced by LifeSphere which gives you 300 health. I want to keep this specifically as a monster randomizer, that's why I'm only adding a few and keeping them very rare.

Also you should get more ammo now. Enemies that replace ShotgunGuys and ChaingunGuys used to drop a "shell" or "clip", if they didn't drop a shotgun or chaingun.

Well, shotgun gives you 8 shells, and "shell" gives you only 4. So now they most of them will drop 2 "shells". And enemies that do drop a shotgun, but have noticeably more health than the original ShotgunGuy. They will drop an additional "shell" on top of the shotgun. Same idea with the ChaingunGuy. They will drop more "clips" than just one.

And I also did a lot more balancing on top of that... Especially with the new added monsters.

I know it's quiet in here, but the mod has been downloaded for close to 200 times overall... Which also isn't too much, I assume.

But I still think that I should make a new post if I have something bigger to update.

And this is probably the last big one. Hopefully not... I've enjoyed this more than I thought I would!

I hope you'll have fun with mod!

Thank you for all these great monsters! To everyone who has been involved in making them. I wouldn't have been able to make anything like this without you.

EDIT:

The big update was June 25th. I uploaded another one today June 26th. Added 3 more monsters(including one to replace Spider Mastermind), 2 power-ups(still rare), and a lot more changes that will affect the gameplay in a good way, I believe.

Edited by plynthus

I'm going to give this a whirl today. I do think this needs a better name. Vanilla Doom Plus is too vague.

I think you'll have a better reception if you post this on the zdoom forums.

Edited by Bryan T

Thanks Bryan T!

Yeah, I agree the name is not great. "Vanilla+" was the temp title, and when I released it, I changed it to "Vanilla Doom Plus".

Other names I had in my mind were something like "Monster Closet 667", because most of the monsters were downloaded from Realm667. Or something else with "Monster Closet" in the title. But I want a name that tells the player that this is a more subtle randomizer. So I chose Vanilla Doom Plus(which of course doesn't really say anything about being a monster randomizer).

I'll think about it for sure!

And thanks for recommending zdoom forums! I'll look into it soon. Probably when it's time for the next update.

I never thought this would get much attention anyway. All I want is that people who would like this kind of monster randomizer would be able to find it easily.

And thanks again for your help with the problem I had with D'Sparil!

I tried this mod for a while and i like the idea of it, but i got some questions.

* Was this inspired by Colorfull Hell but with the idea of it being less OP compared to CH?

* Did you made this with weapons mods in mind? I mixed your mod with Dakka for example and its berserk replacing power up was gone. (i got regular berserk when Dakka had its own berserk replacement)

* Have you ever thought of an options menu for the mod? Like whether or not someone wants enemies replacing props or new power ups or even costumization for the overall difficulty. (like messing around with spawn chances for example)

* In case you couldn't figure out how to do options/CVARs, is that why you made alternative versions of the mod?

15 hours ago, whatup876 said:

I tried this mod for a while and i like the idea of it, but i got some questions.

* Was this inspired by Colorfull Hell but with the idea of it being less OP compared to CH?

* Did you made this with weapons mods in mind? I mixed your mod with Dakka for example and its berserk replacing power up was gone. (i got regular berserk when Dakka had its own berserk replacement)

* Have you ever thought of an options menu for the mod? Like whether or not someone wants enemies replacing props or new power ups or even costumization for the overall difficulty. (like messing around with spawn chances for example)

* In case you couldn't figure out how to do options/CVARs, is that why you made alternative versions of the mod?

whatup876

* For the longest time I played Doom without any mods. I still do for the most part. So when I first learned and got interested in the idea of monster randomizers, custom enemies etc. This is the type of randomizer that came to my mind. And was something I really hoped to find. I tried a lot of them including Colorfull Hell. I'd say it's as much inspired by it than the others. It was a fun one definitely, but I didn't play with any of them long until I started making this.

* Personally I wanted just a monster randomizer with the original weapons. I think the weapons in Doom are so perfect. Of course I want anyone who plays this to play the way they want. I specifically wanted this to be balanced in a way that you could beat the original games(even 100%) without adding anything else. Still needs more work, but for that I think it's working very well already.

1 out of 30 berserks is replaced by a power-up that is basically berserk and souldsphere in one(recent addition). That's probably why it showed up normally when you tried.

* I learned as I went when making this mod. When I started. If I had to nerf an enemy, lowering their health was pretty much all I was able to do. As I didn't understand much and everything felt overwhelming at the time. So I believe I thought about an options menu and immediately was like: "No... I could never do that." And haven't thought about it since.

I've learned a lot since then. That's why I'm adding some enemies that I originally thought would be too OP even when they had lower health.

But options menu? Still unknown territory to me. But you definitely got me interested in the idea! It would be great to have that. Because I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't agree with the choices I've made here.

So far the Power-Ups make sence for the most part. Like 1/30 SoulSpheres is replaced by item that gives you 300 health. Same with armor. That's the reason I ended putting them in. But being able to turn them off would be a great option to have.

* I made the alternate versions because I think some people might think this is too tame. Not enough new monsters appearing.

I didn't even think about the possibility of an options menu when I first made them. But I'll definitely be looking into it. Might take awhile though... I am learning, and not 100% sure where I should begin. I hope I'll get somewhere with it. It would definitely replace the alternate versions completely!

Do you know if any other randomizer has done options menu like that?

Looking into that kind of mod in Slade would help a lot. It's always interesting and easier way to learn when you see good examples of how that kind of things have been made.

Thank you!

Edited by plynthus

i know Colorfull Hell and MetaDoom (Which also has some monster randomization in it and balance around it) have options menus.

Colorfull Hell has options for behaviour changes, which classes of enemies are on/off (Such as black/white/grey/FIREBLU/EX/abyss/cyan monster classes) or how bonuses drops work.

Because CH ranks enemy tiers with colors, the more powerfull ones are optional.

MetaDoom on the other hand can let you completely randomize the monster spawns (Since otherwise the mod tries to be balanced around monster randomization), turn off certain monsters and turn off certain behaviours in case they break maps.

And also optional Wolfenstein SS/Commaner Keen/Props replacements and how gore/blood works.

I think the issue with one or both mods is if they use ZScript or at least a different code from your mod.

Thank you for the answers! Very interesting stuff.

I meant to remove my question by editing the comment, because I tested Colorful Hell after asking you. But I didn't know about MetaDoom. Going to check it out too.

I actually got a lot more done yesterday than I thought.

About first 1-2 hours was a lot of trial and error. Nothing was working. Then I started to understand little better how it works.

I used Colorful Hell and Custom Doom to learn.

I got on/off settings done for example "Power-Up Replacers" and "ShotgunGuy Replacers". And they work.

For ZombieMan Replacers I did "On", "Off", "More"(more likely for the custom monsters to appear), "Replacers Only". They all worked and that's what I would do to each monster. Still have to do more testing before going through all that trouble.

One weird side effect did occur..

I have a test map for this mod. It has rooms that each are filled with one enemy type. There's two switches in front of it. Other kills all the monsters in the room, and the other makes them respawn. That's for testing to see how often all the monsters actually appear in the game. Been very helpful.

Now as soon as I did this menu thing. Every now and then when I press the switch to make them respawn. The original monsters(only the original) appear as nothing.

But no matter how many times I restarted they always appeared at the start of the level. So it has something to do with the respawning thing.

So in vanilla maps it wouldn't be a problem, but in scripted things it could. Stayed up way too late trying to figure it out.

That's one thing why I got to do more testing and stuff before doing this to all the monsters.

The downloadable version hasn't been updated. I'll update it as soon as I think it's ready.

And yes I wrote all that also hoping that anyone who reads it might have some idea what's the problem. I haven't been messing with SpawnID's... on purpose at least.

And thanks again whatup876! For the idea and helpful information.

EDIT:

I figured the problem. And not only did I fix it, but also managed to make the whole thing a lot more simple.

Now I just got to do it for all the monsters. If everything goes well, I'll probably get it done during this weekend and update the download link.

Edited by plynthus

I got all this "finished" today and the actual spawning itself seems to work perfect:

1816854541_Replacersettings.jpg.db9ffd871b14fb1840fac5221b7bd60a.jpg

But I encountered a big problem, which unfortunately was something I didn't notice in my test map. Only when I tried this in the actual game.

I also posted this on Zdoom forums, because I've tried everything:

Here's code directly from the decorate:

ACTOR ZombiemanReplacer replaces Zombieman
{
states
{
Spawn:
POSS A 0
Goto Scripted
Scripted:
POSS A 0 A_JumpIf(CallACS("CH_ZombieReplacer") == 0, "Off")
POSS A 0 A_JumpIf(CallACS("CH_ZombieReplacer") == 1, "On")
POSS A 0 A_JumpIf(CallACS("CH_ZombieReplacer") == 2, "More")
POSS A 0 A_JumpIf(CallACS("CH_ZombieReplacer") == 3, "ReplOnly")
POSS A 0
Goto On
Off:
POSS A 0 A_SpawnitemEx("Zombieman2",0,0,0,0,0,0,0,SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_TRANSFERSPECIAL|SXF_TRANSFERAMBUSHFLAG) //Replacers Off
stop
On:
POSS A 0 A_SpawnitemEx("ZombiemanDefault",0,0,0,0,0,0,0,SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_TRANSFERSPECIAL|SXF_TRANSFERAMBUSHFLAG) //Default
stop
More:
POSS A 0 A_SpawnitemEx("ZombiemanFrequent",0,0,0,0,0,0,0,SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_TRANSFERSPECIAL|SXF_TRANSFERAMBUSHFLAG) //Replacers more frequent
stop
ReplOnly:
POSS A 0 A_SpawnitemEx("ZombiemanReplacers",0,0,0,0,0,0,0,SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_TRANSFERSPECIAL|SXF_TRANSFERAMBUSHFLAG) //Replacers Only
stop
}
}

ACTOR ZombiemanDefault: RandomSpawner
{
    DropItem "Zombieman2" 255, 2
    DropItem "ZombiemanReplacers" 255, 1
}

ACTOR ZombiemanFrequent: RandomSpawner
{
    DropItem "Zombieman2" 255, 1
    DropItem "ZombiemanReplacers" 255, 5
}

"Zombieman2" being the regular zombieman. "ZombiemanReplacers" is ACTOR that is also a RandomSpawner, which has all the custom enemies in it.
I can't seem to get the "SXF_TRANSFERAMBUSHFLAG" to work with this.

Enemies that are supposed to be "deaf" aren't anymore.
Only when I set it to "Replacers Off" it works. Because I put the actual ACTOR name "Zombieman2" to "A_SpawnitemEx", and not another randomspawner.

I didn't have this problem before I made the menu options.

Is there anything I can do?

The RandomSpawners automatically carried the AMBUSH FLAG before... And "A_SpawnitemEx" also carries it if you use "SXF_TRANSFERAMBUSHFLAG".
But when I use both, it doesn't work anymore. Everything spawns as they should! They're just missing the "Ambush" flag.

I'll continue to try to make it work tomorrow.

But any help would be great!! I've spent hours trying to make it work. I am still new to this stuff.

I don't know how to exactly help but in these forums, you could find someone that can.

I hope this turns out well.

Also, do you have a link to the ZDoom thread you've made?

Just wondering.

Zdoom forum link

Just asking the same question there. I might not be able to make it work this way after all...

It's really dissapointing because I was so happy how well it worked until I noticed the problem. It would have improved the mod A LOT!

I will at least make on/off options for the replacers of each original monster. And keep the Power-Up and Misc. ON/OFF which already works as they should. And I will thank you whatup876 for suggesting these to me.

Currently it looks like if I also want to keep the options for "Frequent" spawns and "Replacers Only". The monsters would lose the "Ambush Flag". As in enemies that are supposed to be deaf, aren't anymore. That's a big problem... Too big.

And also if I want to keep the properties of the random spawners(spawn chances of each different enemy types). Which also is very important to this mod.

I can't use an alternate solution that I know of.

Also just making the ON/OFF switches became more complicated... At least slower to do. But at least I know a way I can do that.

I'll still look more into this. Any alternate ways to do this even if I had to do the menu stuff from scratch. I just really loved how it worked until I noticed the problem. It would have been very easy to add even more spawning options.

The updated version might not be ready this weekend after all. If the problem hadn't occured it would have been ready yesterday with all 4 spawning options.

Also to anyone who plays this. I know that this recently added enemy might be a problem:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20190629_203051.png.054b25b4075ab216256e81ffdcbff475.png

PyroSuccubus

I used it as a Cacodemon replacer. But it doesn't fly often. I'll be doing something to it. I like the design. Either I'll make it fly more, or it will replace another monster.

UPDATE JUNE 30TH:

(download link updated)

Spoiler

Added few menu options(for now), added 2 more enemies, 1 power-up, and added couple ammo kits to replace certain ammo drops. Also made an enemy that replaces cacodemon to fly all the time, because it used to fly only occasionally.

529444825_Replacersettings2.jpg.7424cfaf429152b1bdb3f8b8dc63b84f.jpg

Edited by plynthus

I just downloaded the last version of the mod and tested it with Combined Arms, turned off item/prop replacers from your mod and noticed something:

* In ZDL (the launcher i used) if you put the weapons mod before Vanilla Doom Plus, some items are changed to vanilla Doom, even the berserk. (similar to what happened with Dakka)

* But then i changed the mod load order (Vanilla Doom Plus first THEN Combined Arms) and i started seeing the proper CA items in my playthrough.

I guess the order can affect this, but at least i found a solution for this weird item replacement thing.

Meanwhile, there was this specific part in map 2 where i found an invisible, yet solid object that can almost block paths and when i hit it, i got a sound that plays when the axe hits actual enemies.

My personal theory is that the invisible object that i'm hitting might be something related to gibs from an enemy. (or even an actual dead enemy, who knows)

And that dead pinky, if i recall, might be the blind Pinky.

Screenshot_Doom_20190701_185921.png

whatup876

It probably is BlindPinky. It happened to me once or twice. But the weird thing is that I couldn't replicate it. And when it happened it was only blocking from one side.

I checked the DECORATE of that monster, and the function "A_NoBlocking" was missing from its "death" section. But even so it almost never does that.

I added it there just in case now. It'll be there with the next update! That kind of thing can break a level.

Thanks for reminding me! I was supposed to fix it earlier.

Also I know what's causing the Berserk problem, but there's not much I can do about it.

RandomSpawner replaces the original Berserk. So I have to make a copy of the original Berserk. It's simply called "Berserk2".

The random spawner chooces between Berserk2(the copy of the original) and a custom power up.

So in this mod the original Berserk is now that random spawner.

And when you see the original Berserk in the game, it's actually Berserk2.

Same applies to all the original monsters as well. Zombieman2, ShotgunGuy2 etc.

Even when you turn of the Power-Ups they're still Berserk2, Soulsphere2 and so on.

Because the originals are replaced by the randomspawners.

And I assume the mods you're using are doing similiar things. If they're not using randomspawners, they're still also replacing the original by something else.

Anyway.. you said you got it working, so that's great!

Hope it works well.

It's updated now!

-The issue with BlindPinky should be fixed now.

-And changed the menu texts little bit. - No new options yet.

Edited by plynthus

I love to play with Monsters replacer so far I am enjoying "saegiru_enemyspawner" . I want to definitely I will check your mod out. However, I am not interested in playing Vanilla doom at all, since I played doom since Snes,psx and PC forms all those years that was all vanilla. I would like to make a small request. Since now I just want to play gameplay changing mods like project brutality and Brutal doom, I would love and i bet a lot people would too, to have  your version of monster randomizer to work as a Universal enemy spawner with YOUR NAME ON IT! not this Vanilla+ misleading naming convention you have done.... use this as example "plynthus__supercoolenemyrandomizer". Add any naming you find supercool and funny to you, since this will be your mark for years to come... As universal add on I can play this Project Brutality and Brutal doom or any other gameplay changing mod and have blast with your randomizer. That said this Vanilla+ name I have seen it before and was put off immediately by the name. I am pretty sure you get more audience if you state your name with whatever you want. 

THANK YOU FOR CREATING THIS MOD!!!

For first I want to say thank you for your effort and congratz to a cool mod, but anyway If it's not contabile with Brutal doom /project brutality, it's kind of worthless definetly for me, so please in next version focus on letting classic monsters and their variants to BD/PB and just add a new types just like saegiru did. Thanks. 

cjmax1

Thanks!

I am not very familiar with Brutal Doom or Project Brutality. I've always preferred Doom without mods. Usually just maps.

But I am open to trying to make this mod more compatible in the future. As long as I don't have to compromise the things I've done. And would still play the same in vanilla.

But I'm too busy right now. My to do list is pretty big. So I'll be looking into it a little later.

As for the name.. Bryan T also said I should change it. And I agree.

I don't think I want to have my "name" with the mod though. And "supercoolenemyrandomizer" would also give the wrong idea. I know you meant something in that direction and not exactly that.

By default settings this randomizer is more subtle. And I want a name that hints in that direction. We'll see what happens in the future.

If you haven't checked this one out yet. I'd recommend to wait until the next update. Tomorrow probably.

Because currently there's no settings for spawn chances. But after the update each monster are going to have about 7(varies on monster) settings.

Most monsters are going to have these settings:

Spoiler

1662591032_menuinfo.jpg.2bdeb99d839f0e387deace84e3e6f56e.jpg

menu.jpg.00ff635028158f655e5ec2fe26b5e5c9.jpg

It's going to change the mod for the better quite a bit.

I just got to finish it now. And do enough testing before releasing it!

Thanks again!

Edited by plynthus