Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zen4040

My First Doom Mappack

I made this short mappack last year. right now it's just in it's demo state and I a have feeling that it's going to stay that way for ever. I allready made two more maps that aren't a part of the public demo yet but I'm stuck at the third one with a lack of inspiration.

It's supposed to be a completely vanilla compatible wad that feels fair and plays mostly like doom 2. Of course you need doom2.wad to play this, I tested this in the dos version of doom with dosbox, so this should be compatible with most source ports and no, jumping and crouching isn't allowed.

I allready had a thread for this on the zdoom forums but got zero attention there and since the community here seems to be bigger I thought maybe a few more people would play this map and give me some feed back.

200102?type=large

Here are demos for my playthrough of the maps: Zen5MDemo_FDAs.zip

I liked the generous SSG provisions, since it's fun to line up and mow down groups of low tiers with it, and that makes up much of the gameplay in these maps. Consider experimenting more with ambushing monsters, walls opening, teleporting monsters, etc. Right now, much of the fighting occurs when the player enters a new area, makes a sound, and all the monsters bunch up to get SSG'd around corners. Would also be cool to have a rocket or chaingun-centric map in the mix. But there are good fundamentals here, looking forward to what else you come up with.

19 hours ago, Benjogami said:

Here are demos for my playthrough of the maps: Zen5MDemo_FDAs.zip

I liked the generous SSG provisions, since it's fun to line up and mow down groups of low tiers with it, and that makes up much of the gameplay in these maps. Consider experimenting more with ambushing monsters, walls opening, teleporting monsters, etc. Right now, much of the fighting occurs when the player enters a new area, makes a sound, and all the monsters bunch up to get SSG'd around corners. Would also be cool to have a rocket or chaingun-centric map in the mix. But there are good fundamentals here, looking forward to what else you come up with.

Thanks for the feedback, now that you mention it I'm surprised I never noticed the lack of experimentation with the combat in my maps. It does bring a few ideas in my mind. Also thanks for the demo lumps, so far I've been the only playtester for this so it's nice to see these maps from the perspective of someone who doesn't allready know every cornor of the mappack.