Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

2 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

I wen't to some places on the internet and read stuff I shouldn't be reading.

Was it Doom related? Because I'm pretty sure that's what this thread is about, not confessing your worldly sins.

As for me, I've tried getting back into Doom without much luck this year. Which is unfortunate, because I have several cool maps I'd like to finish working on. But can you really map without playing the game?

3 hours ago, Simomarchi said:

Yes it is

I remember trying to do a maxmovie without a route in mind and this door royally screwed me haha.

2 hours ago, nicolas monti said:

Maybe out of topic but how do you set the items preview in db2, might be useful..

It's not DB2, it's GZDoom builder and as far as I know it's the default setting for the things view. In reality I think that there's no way to change it to hide the preview. 

Maybe DB2 has some option to show you the preview but in my opinion it's better to simply download GZDB (or GZDB bugfix, that is kept up to date costantly). They offer you a larger variety of tools to edit your maps and can save you a lot of time

4 minutes ago, Simomarchi said:

It's not DB2, it's GZDoom builder and as far as I know it's the default setting for the things view. In reality I think that there's no way to change it to hide the preview. 

Maybe DB2 has some option to show you the preview but in my opinion it's better to simply download GZDB (or GZDB bugfix, that is kept up to date costantly). They offer you a larger variety of tools to edit your maps and can save you a lot of time

Nice, I map for limit removing ports, not for zdoom exclusive maps, I hope it works for that too.

There's probably alot more than just this, but I have been wanting to say this for a while. Shout out to OP for giving me a spot to get this out my head.

Oh, and INCOMING WALL OF TEXT 

1: one time I was so pissed off I summoned like 6 cyberdemons and wasted them in tower of Babel without dying. The horrified look I got from my brother was great.

2: didn't mind arch viles and lost souls until people pointed out how annoying they were.

3: I love doom 64 and consider it the true doom 3. But I've not yet beaten it.

4: don't like doom 2. But with trailblazer and maps of chaos overkill I love playing map 01 over and over again on harder difficulties.

4-B: weirdly enough, not a fan of e1m1 on it. But it gets better after :)

5: according to this thread im waaay more obsessed with doom than I should be.

5-A:  I own four copies of doom. <cd, steam.xbox, gog>

5-B: I've beaten doom 2 on ultra violence once, and I have no intention of doing it again.

6: I love playing doom with...a controller.

(DON'T KILL ME, I'M TOO YOUNG TO DIE) look I know how much hate controllers get in the fps communit6, but for games like doom, rott, wolf 3d, their perfect

And you can even custom tune your controller just the way you want. So for me, nothing better than unwinding on my couch, doom on the big screen.

7: didn't like doom 3 as a sequel, but as a AU I can respect and enjoy it.

2 minutes ago, zaszthedestroyer said:

2: didn't mind arch viles and lost souls until people pointed out how annoying they were.

I'm sure this gets repeated ad nauseam and now it's my turn to add to it: AV/PE/Lost Souls are annoying when they are placed annoyingly by the level designer. I don't see them as being more annoying than any other monster, I'd go as far as to say I like AVs as they're satisfying to kill. Any monster can be annoying with 'shitty' placement, barons are a good example. I'd also say that annoying can be deliberate and effective, a long chaingun sniper to change the movement across an empty/cleared area as an example. That's just my opinion though but I do feel it holds true.

@xvertigox youre right about placement. It makes a huge difference

And yeah barons are spammed too much for their spongey potential.

I do enjoy killing lost souls, and arch viles aren't *too* bad.

BUT FUCK THE PAIN ELEMENTALS

Lol seriously tho who goes "let's have a monster spawn a million smaller monsters?" 

"*excited CEO gasp.mp4*"

1 hour ago, nicolas monti said:

I hope it works for that too.

As you can see from my screen, in the bottom part is indicated that i've opened the map in boom: doom 2 format (yeah it's a mistake in this case but this is not the point). So yes, GZDB is compatible  with all map formats.

i still think that Ep4 of Ultimate Doom sucks balls. at least first two maps, as i never seen other ones (of course, i've seen them all, but idclev is not counting! ;-). not because it is so hard, but because it doesn't feel like an episode. 'cmon, this is just random maps put together. i expected better from id, not this lazyness.

5 hours ago, nicolas monti said:

Yes it is

hqdefaultSYZEVRW3.jpg.58841cd3787c9c71c915131cb9205060.jpg

Thought you meant the first soulsphere secret.  I always think of the yellow key one as the blur sphere secret, but there's another soulsphere in there as well.  

Dammit.

31 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

There's another soulsphere in there as well.  

That secret area, despite being quite "complex" (I mean,at least it's not the 64x64 square in E1M8) and therefore well made it's without any reason, or at least I can't find one, overpowered. 

Inside there's the equivalent of a megasphere, a blur sphere, ammo and the omnipresent chaingun...is there a reason for this reward?

Agreed, possibly too many giveaways, and yes quite complex (don't forget there's enemies outside on UV, breaking the unwritten 'no badguys in secret areas' rule), but I gotta say the secrets in this level, especially the sequence to get to the secret exit, are possibly the most complex and imaginative in OG Doom, certainly the first episode. You've got the windows into the areas that make you think "how do I get there?", you've got the sound clue on the stairs leading to the yellow key room, you can even get up to that ledge with the lone imp and look down on a familiar area.  Couple this with the regular features of this map (steady difficulty increase, introduction of the rocket launcher, introduction of demons/specters, further encouragement of strategically using barrels, the infamous 'lights-out' trap, the insanely creepy music) makes E1M3 easily my favorite in episode one.  

But other than that it sucks.

Edited by Maximum Matt

2 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

the unwritten 'no badguys in secret areas' rule

I don't think that's a rule, really, given that it's "broken" as early as E1M1 by the Shotgunner in the secret behind the lift with the imps. Or the 5 imps in the outdoors Shotgun secret in DOOM2 MAP 01. I'm pretty sure there are more examples of this even in the IWADs.

1 hour ago, Rathori said:

I don't think that's a rule, really, given that it's "broken" as early as E1M1 by the Shotgunner in the secret behind the lift with the imps. Or the 5 imps in the outdoors Shotgun secret in DOOM2 MAP 01. I'm pretty sure there are more examples of this even in the IWADs.

yeah :)) I did a playthrough of the first episode where I didn''t step in a secret area, and only E1M4 and E1M5 are max-able by those rules

8 hours ago, Rathori said:

I don't think that's a rule, really, given that it's "broken" as early as E1M1 by the Shotgunner in the secret behind the lift with the imps.

1131335732_lgmp0163homer-simpson-doh-the-simpsons-mini-poster.jpg.e6b7adf3ddb3abfd73a193357405c46d.jpg

14 hours ago, yakfak said:

yeah :)) I did a playthrough of the first episode where I didn''t step in a secret area, and only E1M4 and E1M5 are max-able by those rules

Well, that's not entirely true. You can definitely finish E1M1 with 100% kills and 0% secrets on UV if you're careful about where you step, here's a proof of concept demo. (Don't judge my aim, it was recorded on a laptop without a mouse, while eating a sandwich.)

e1m1nsmk.7z

How is this thread getting away with two Simpsons memes on the same page without getting shitpost warned

We don't know that a shitposting warning hasn't been issued, but I'd agree with you. Reporting would be the best option; say your piece in the box and let the mod decide.

No, I got my warning; the Doom Forum FBI agent showed up at my door and stuck a plasma gun in my face and was all like "don't you ever post no Homer pics to humorously convey embarrassment at getting some Doom facts wrong ever again bub, ya hear me?" and I was all like "yessir Mr. Doom Police guy", and he then said "rip and tear?" and I of course replied "suck it down!!" and then we both did the goddamn Vulcan salute and he teleported back to Phobos. 

Jeez, lighten up.

These were well timed "D'oh!" pictures because @Maximum Matt was on a roll sinning in the Doom Confessional Booth with his comprehensive knowledge. Read the atmosphere.

As for my own sins, I've been relying on IDCLIP quite a bit lately because I tend to lock myself in old maps. It's obvious I'll get stuck but I still go there, then I cry.

My favorite doom enemy is the pain elemental. I like the way they look with their little arms and the way they can add urgency to a fight.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:43 PM, Archie550 said:

My favorite doom enemy is the pain elemental. I like the way they look with their little arms and the way they can add urgency to a fight.

I liked the Pain Elemental as a kid solely because of the sound they made when you hit them on the PSX port/Doom 64. I'd always kill them with the Shotgun so you'd hear the sound at a steady pace before eventually dying. :(

On 6/4/2019 at 11:43 PM, Archie550 said:

I'm making a doom map where the only weapon you have to defend yourself against one is a rocketlauncher in a small space. Would you still like it?

Difficulty settings in my maps is just monster count instead of entirely rethinking the gameplay, with some special exceptions like traps with 1-3 monsters where I might change the monster type depending the difficulty.