Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom Neural Upscale 2X [v 1.0]

Hi, I am unsure whether this texture mod is loading correctly. I use a *.bat script which is the following:

start gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file mapsofchaos-ok.wad brutalv21.pk3 ColourfulHell97CCC.pk3 mutator_base0.0.2.pk3 fractal_mutation0.0.2.pk3 NeuralUpscale2x_v0.95.pk3 deepwater.pk3 -nomusic -fast -respawn

Can you please check if the load order is correct in order to maximize neural upscale's effect?

Thank you.

16 hours ago, brandleesee said:

Hi, I am unsure whether this texture mod is loading correctly. I use a *.bat script which is the following:

start gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file mapsofchaos-ok.wad brutalv21.pk3 ColourfulHell97CCC.pk3 mutator_base0.0.2.pk3 fractal_mutation0.0.2.pk3 NeuralUpscale2x_v0.95.pk3 deepwater.pk3 -nomusic -fast -respawn

Can you please check if the load order is correct in order to maximize neural upscale's effect?

Thank you.

Thats fine. The AI upscales are at the end of the load order, so won't be over-ridden by anything before it. 

Going to put this in the two thread. But I got a weird glitch that I thought would amuse you. Pretty much this happens and only happens to Archviles. This also only happens when I run Neural Upscale+Smooth Doom. I can't figure out which mod it might be. But if I run Neural Upscale before Smooth Doom this happens but the enemies are normal size. If I run Smooth Doom before Neural Upscale then the zombie men wideout when they shoot. Didn't know if there was a conflict between the two mods. 

On 5/23/2019 at 5:33 AM, 22_deathgrip said:

Thats fine. The AI upscales are at the end of the load order, so won't be over-ridden by anything before it. 

Thank you for reviewing and confirm, 22_deathgrip.

@hidfan

The problems with the texture pack are not something wrong with your texture pack specifically that I can tell, regarding TNT/Plutonia.

The issue is the way those map's animated texture background (shit like CRT monitors with alternating images) were setup.
There isn't going to be any way to fix this, that I know of, besides just straight up deleting those specific upscaled textures.
It shouldn't be a big deal, the number of scenes with animated textures in the background that had this problem are extremely tiny. 

For reasons I do not understand and all, a texture glitch occurs here if two files are present
deleting those two textures from the pack solves this problem
NUDoom.pk3\FILTER\DOOM\HIRES\TEXTURES\SLADRIP1.png
NUDoom.pk3\FILTER\DOOM\HIRES\TEXTURES\SLADRIP3.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190524_055018.png.37e64f2cd9cdb7c2f90d14e4f56c98b1.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190524_054728.png.29ea89bf8b164dd73c8e62b45ace3142.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190524_054422.png.1aad41cc9ab9158f8eacf1f76e35df5b.png

Edited by 22_deathgrip

Texture glitch fixed by deleting

FILTER\DOOM\HIRES\TEXTURES\BLODGR1.png

FILTER\DOOM.DOOM2\HIRES\TEXTURES\SW1SKULL.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190524_061240.png.7c30f7b6afe611c6b4c633838260458a.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190524_063208.png.723bde703e9a3e98dc941a1edee4fda7.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190524_061238.png.cdac943a02f6938b3adc968d41677ca0.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190524_061236.png.c8d02d42d47ef9dab5f01bd7c618ac10.png

Edited by 22_deathgrip

Yay! Back to the game to instantly find another texture glitch.

deleting 

FILTER\DOOM.DOOM2\HIRES\TEXTURES\SW2SKULL.png

fixes it

Screenshot_Doom_20190524_065246_01.png.b1376cb5900b17dad581ffdd765da994.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190524_064958.png.4ea06cb3b90601cf8cbf9cf8a3b2ae10.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190524_064959.png.2776344d9df8ba19fea80187f4046032.png

Edited by 22_deathgrip

7 hours ago, 22_deathgrip said:

TNT.WAD defines its own versions of these switch textures by the same name. Incidentally, my WadSmoosh program renames and replaces these Final Doom specific textures, so the Neural Upscale mod works fine alongside them with no changes needed.

5 hours ago, JPL said:

TNT.WAD defines its own versions of these switch textures by the same name. Incidentally, my WadSmoosh program renames and replaces these Final Doom specific textures, so the Neural Upscale mod works fine alongside them with no changes needed.

That sounds super fucking awesome. Would save me from the work I am having to do here and on top of that textures
SLADRIP1.png 
SLADRIP3.png

That should not need to be deleted can stay in the pack. It sounds literally perfect.

I'm going to keep testing TNT and Plutonia and modify the NU Doom pak as neccesary to make it compatible for regular users, but Ill probably actually play the WADs with WS. I look forward to testing NU Doom with both. :)

Found another error. I'm noticing common errors with things related to switches. Might be better to have just pulled all the switches to begin with.

Deleting 

\FILTER\DOOM\HIRES\TEXTURES\SW1GSTON.png
\FILTER\DOOM\HIRES\TEXTURES\SW2GSTON.png

fixes this glitch when switch is pressed or depressed 

Screenshot_Doom_20190524_192859.png.81528a684bf68f2612e019a4d56ec1e2.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190524_192856.png.40533f0c0670025dedff2b4f16461bdb.png

Edited by 22_deathgrip

21 hours ago, 22_deathgrip said:

Why are you so ignorant? It's not a glitch. What are you looking for? Just download AltDHTP and compare all textures in separate folders. Stop fouling up the subject.

2 hours ago, Doomenator said:

Why are you so ignorant? It's not a glitch. What are you looking for? Just download AltDHTP and compare all textures in separate folders. Stop fouling up the subject.

Ignorant about what?

I've put my screen shots of the texture errors behind a spoiler font. 

I'm not interested in AltDHTP. It doesn't have the effect when using Pallet Tone Mapping that I'm looking for. Probably because the textures are too high in resolution.

I just checked your texture pack while playing TNT and it has the exact same problem as his did with TNT map06

Screenshot_Doom_20190525_055448.png.b5aa99d590a3e6c08ef40228369fb260.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190525_055444.png.d32a1460983685fd49ee3b25362cdf71.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190525_055443.png.dce7567427a15bda9ab77ccad0042ee4.png

Maybe there is some problem with the new version of GZDoom or some shit like that.

I, for right now, have been able to fix I was having withe the NU textures pack, I'm happy with that. 

Maybe you could enlighten me as to why I'm getting the same error on your texture pack?
Since I'm ignorant and all that shit. 

Edited by 22_deathgrip

On 5/9/2019 at 8:34 AM, tekni5 said:

I agree with you, doom neural upscale are better in most ways. I'm also using machine learning / generative adversarial network via ESRGAN with multiple models and then making a median combination of these models. Here is a direct comparison between hidfan's work upscaled via nn to the same size as my result. I think there is much improvement that needs to be made for my result, but there a couple of areas that look a little bit better, but the majority are better in hidfan's results.

Untitled-1.png

I like the flame trails in the upper picture for the lost soul - nice touch!

On 5/9/2019 at 3:34 PM, tekni5 said:

I'm also using machine learning / generative adversarial network via ESRGAN with multiple models and then making a median combination of these models.

What models are you using? I've found the Cartoon Painted and MyManga109 models from here to produce very good results. Cartoon Painted was trained on images scaled down with nearest neighbour instead of bicubic and can do sprite edges very well.

I ran your test batch of sprites through an interpolation of Cartoon Painted 80k with the default ESRGAN and got this:

4x upscale output

image.png.f9f5c5bae2f863daf55c5e02b981d9a1.png

scaled down to 2x

image.png.67d88b983580ff63cc2f2b77a1cde061.png

I did some pre-processing on the source image, namely I scaled it up 4x using xBRZ, applied Gaussian blur at 1 pixel radius in GIMP and then scaled it back down to original dimensions with Sinc3 interpolation.

To create transparent background, I made a copy of the ESRGAN output image, applied Kuwahara-Nagao blur at 2 pixels in mtPaint, then converted the image to the original palette. Then opened up both the original upscale and its Kuwahara-Nagao counterpart in GIMP, used the select by colour tool and clicked on the background (I used this colour as background). Then increased selection by one pixel and copied the result to the non-Kuwahara-Nagao image. Deselected, clicked on the purple background again and deleted it.

For the 2x image, I first scaled down ESRGAN output to 2x with Sinc3 in GIMP, then made a copy and scaled back up to 4x with nearest neighbour in mtPaint. Made another copy of that and applied the same Kuwahara-Nagao steps as described above for the 4x image. Scale back down to 2x with nearest neighbour in mtPaint before deleting the background. (Hopefully this explanation is not very confusing)

UPD: It seems that the MyManga109 model (also interpolated with ESRGAN as explained here) produces slightly better results, at least noticeable with Doomguy's face:

image.png.e991a5bcca467c7e86e5401dbd57154c.png

scaled down to 2x

image.png.e18996b513974e4f273312b72a16398c.png

The steps to produce this are the same as above.

Edited by MrFlibble : added MyManga109 results

10 hours ago, 22_deathgrip said:

Maybe you could enlighten me as to why I'm getting the same error on your texture pack?
Since I'm ignorant and all that shit. 

New GZdoom has a new standard of folder filters. Therefore, TNT shows the texture from the another folder. GZdoom 2.4 such problems has not.

And I told you to download AltDHTP not for you're looking non-existent bugs. Think about it just a little bit, if you can.

I think I slightly improved the method for getting clean sprite outlines for 2x images:

Spoiler

image.png.97830641153c9d24d8571fa8f5d9f385.png

image.png.90931f71bcf0ab59df466a748a9bd8bd.png

Basically you take the ESRGAN 4x result, make a copy in mtPaint, apply Kuwahara-Nagao blur, convert to original palette and scale down to 2x (it will be nearest neighbour by default because it's an indexed image).

Then you make another copy, scale it down to 2x using Sinc3 or Bicubic, scale back up in mtPaint using nearest neighbour, and apply all the same steps as above (Kuwahara-Nagao blur etc.).

So now you have two 2x Kuwahara-Nagao'd images, paste them one over another without the background (or with the background colour set to transparency) using any method you choose so that basically you get a blend of the two. Save this image and then open in GIMP, select the background by colour and increase selection by one pixel, then copy onto the image scaled down to 2x using some normal method like Sinc3.

1 hour ago, Doomenator said:

New GZdoom has a new standard of folder filters. Therefore, TNT shows the texture from the another folder. GZdoom 2.4 such problems has not.

And I told you to download AltDHTP not for you're looking non-existent bugs. Think about it just a little bit, if you can.

I don't know if if this is some kind of joke but your pack doesn't even work with GZdoom 2.4 i just tried it. It works with the Neural Upscale pack though.

Outside of telling me I need to change a folder filter name in the pack you really haven't been all that helpful :>/

2 hours ago, 22_deathgrip said:

your pack doesn't even work with GZdoom 2.4

Spoiler

I said: think about it just a little bit, if you can. But you haven't even tried. In that case, I really can't help you. )

7 minutes ago, Doomenator said:

Reveal hidden contents

I said: think about it just a little bit, if you can. But you haven't even tried. In that case, I really can't help you. )

I retried it. GZDoom 2.4.0 had hi res textures off by default, so it works, and it works correctly.

What you haven't told me is how to have it working properly with 4.1.2 which is the current doom version.

On 5/7/2019 at 3:09 AM, banjiepixel said:

I wonder if new "doom.id" filters are just FreeDoom separated versions of the old filters.

No, I think they're the opposite. FreeDoom is designed to, for all intents and purposes, be treated exactly like the original IWADs to allow the game to load as if an original IWAD is not present. These new filters are meant, as you mentioned later in your comment, to only apply to the id versions of these to prevent resources from overriding a FreeDoom install where they wouldn't match.

And I agree that this topic is a little sideways from the thread but I also agree that this is a decision that will affect this mod, specifically, and many mods like it. I, personally, think the decision should be made to make this as universal as possible and, therefore, that filters should be created for both versions of the mod. I do hope that the GZDoom team re-assesses this change, though, since it's almost entirely based on compatibility with FreeDoom which, if we're being honest here, is meant to sidestep Doom. I think the consideration should only be made for legal, full copies of Doom and mods like FreeDoom need to figure out how to work within that.

14 minutes ago, dpkonofa said:

No, I think they're the opposite. FreeDoom is designed to, for all intents and purposes, be treated exactly like the original IWADs to allow the game to load as if an original IWAD is not present. These new filters are meant, as you mentioned later in your comment, to only apply to the id versions of these to prevent resources from overriding a FreeDoom install where they wouldn't match.

And I agree that this topic is a little sideways from the thread but I also agree that this is a decision that will affect this mod, specifically, and many mods like it. I, personally, think the decision should be made to make this as universal as possible and, therefore, that filters should be created for both versions of the mod. I do hope that the GZDoom team re-assesses this change, though, since it's almost entirely based on compatibility with FreeDoom which, if we're being honest here, is meant to sidestep Doom. I think the consideration should only be made for legal, full copies of Doom and mods like FreeDoom need to figure out how to work within that.

If you just tell me what I need to do, I'll do it. I'm sure it can't be that complicated. I've been weeding out stuff that causes texture errors, and I think I got most of it, but if there was a better way to do it, then I would much rather do that. 

AFAIK I need to separate the texture according to lump filtering to stop the errors. 

Edited by 22_deathgrip

2 hours ago, 22_deathgrip said:

What you haven't told me is how to have it working properly with 4.1.2 which is the current doom version.

By downloading AltDHTP you got specific information on all textures that are different. I'm not going to solve the problem for you, but I can suggest solutions. There are several. You can rename filter folders. You can overwrite the textures. You can change the texture names and add information about them. You can make a separate patch. What and how to do is up to you. For me it is not relevant at all. 

By the way my current Doom version is Zandronum 3.0. )

28 minutes ago, 22_deathgrip said:

AFAIK I need to separate the texture according to lump filtering to stop the errors. 

You're correct. The issue is that you have to decide whether to use the old filters or the new ones. If you use the new ones, then anyone playing on an old version of GZDoom won't be able to use the mod as the filters will get ignored since they are newly added. If you use the old ones, though, there's a chance that future versions of GZDoom will ignore them, depending on Graf Zahl's plan for these filters. They have been marked for deprecation which means they shouldn't be used but there's some disagreement as to whether everyone should be switching over.

1 hour ago, Doomenator said:

You can rename filter folders.

I've tried that, but its not working. 

According to this https://zdoom.org/wiki/Lump_filtering they should be named

doom.id

doom.id.doom1

doom.id.doom2

but renaming them doesn't fix the texture alignment issues, like it did when I ran AltDHTP in 2.4.0

I don't understand why it doesn't fix the issue, I am not an modder and completely in the dark here. I'm just trying to update the .pak so that it works right for me, and if somebody else can benefit from that too, all the better. If it can help Hidfan, that is all the better. A pack this amazing shouldn't be overlooked because of a few texture alignment errors. I like your texture pack too, but the textures are too high resolution for what I"m trying to do. :>(

Look I don't demand anyone holds my hand here, but since all I know how to do is delete the textures that cause alignment issues, thats what I'm gonna do. Its kinda time intensive so I wish if there was a better way to do this someone would just tell me, but maybe I'm in the wrong forum.

I'm gonna keep going through deleting textures as necessary. 

I'll spare the individual texture deletion posts. I would delete my old ones but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that. 

Edited by 22_deathgrip

Honestly I use this mod religiously and love it. However, I noticed that I just does play nice with ALTDHP, what I used In my video nor did it play nice with Hoover. 

I would just get a bright maps and specular maps mod and leave the textures vanilla. Also hi rez textures can bog even the most demanding PC's. Be sure that any gameplay mod is loading after neural and that anything visual like textures is loading before. Personally I use zdl or you can use .bat or the .ini file in your Gzdoom directory. 

Your really don't need much to get a good looking doom anymore and this mod is a great tool for it.

3 hours ago, Odorousbag87 said:

Honestly I use this mod religiously and love it. However, I noticed that I just does play nice with ALTDHP, what I used In my video nor did it play nice with Hoover. 

I would just get a bright maps and specular maps mod and leave the textures vanilla. Also hi rez textures can bog even the most demanding PC's. Be sure that any gameplay mod is loading after neural and that anything visual like textures is loading before. Personally I use zdl or you can use .bat or the .ini file in your Gzdoom directory. 

Your really don't need much to get a good looking doom anymore and this mod is a great tool for it.

Try this HD mod with Tone Mapping set to Pallet
It look fucking amazing, like nothing else we've seen before.

11 hours ago, 22_deathgrip said:

I'll spare the individual texture deletion posts.

Thanks.

11 hours ago, 22_deathgrip said:

I would delete my old ones but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that. 

You can always edit posts you wanted to delete and just erase the text in'em - makes for much easier reading for anyone coming in here at a later date. Triple+ posting in any thread (without anyone elses's responses in between) isn't considered great post etiquette under any circumstances btw. If you wanna run a TNT-support project for Hidfan's upscales, a seperate thread is probably the best place for that.

3 hours ago, 22_deathgrip said:

Try this HD mod with Tone Mapping set to Pallet
It look fucking amazing, like nothing else we've seen before.

Okay, I will do it for my Memento Mori Let's Plays. Thanks. Cause honestly, my doom just looks to extra but vanilla just looks blocky. I got a 1080ti dang it lol. But thats what I like upscale, it makes doom look on par with those modern faux retro games like Ion Maiden or Dusk. Like you know they are suppose to look old, but be damned if you actually try to run in on a 486.