Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

Is the buckethead soundtrack playable in game, or is it completely separate? 

Buckethead❤❤❤❤💕💕💕💕

Know nothing about this WAD but saw Buckethead's name so I purchased.

I guess romero made it

rad

20 minutes ago, buvk said:

Is the buckethead soundtrack playable in game, or is it completely separate? 

Yes if you want, or you can choose to play with a different midi track.

20 hours ago, zzzornbringer said:

sort of a stupid question. but since the first people got their copy, when will the wad be released?

May 31 at 10am GMT+1

I don't know if the map names are spoilers, so I blanked it out.

This map has less health bonuses than E4M1.

image.png.cc523934a66737613d145a4149461773.png

Buckethead is cool I guess.

So the wait is finally over...

snif.jpg.78848a3d17e9c9038e9355d9f6b0af27.jpg                           

*snif* You're welcome, John!

Edited by SamuelNMEvander : sentimental value

Dang it. I got the soundtrack on its own literally yesterday from that Bandcamp link a few pages back. If I'd waited just a little longer I could have got it at a lower price with a free wad attached to it.

3 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

Dang it. I got the soundtrack on its own literally yesterday from that Bandcamp link a few pages back. If I'd waited just a little longer I could have got it at a lower price with a free wad attached to it.

Looks like it's midi version wad on my end.

UPDATE: Don't know how to get the MP3 to play

Just beat it on HMP in EE. I currently prefer the mp3 soundtrack. It was also somewhat easier than I was expecting, didn't really ramp up until E5M7. Not that's a bad thing. Overall, I quite enjoyed it, great stuff. There are two Buckhead tracks in the wad that are not included in the soundtrack sold separately.

MD5, SHA-1, and CRC32 hash values of sigil.wad, sigil_compat.wad, sigil_shreds.wad, and sigil_shreds_compat.wad respectively:

Spoiler

f53ffc4fb89e966839bb8d20c632819a,       5e5241f49f0dbb7a6f6df3d46b494c1e163a2c53,        e74b2233

a775262ca0e423468196803b71a57a43,    c7b52480221678f96daf8b8c34d08e05a4591704,      abaef919

b424dcf46ae55a496c34ac37cce32646,      efdc3b2255a50b1b058ac609044cbd5e36029bc4,      cf88488f

343faa815928c58faa08939a4502d5d2,     42a5034d76a4effb4a26194dbb90d6ee859e8374,      8524df67

Crazy - so my understanding now is that the free WAD (without Buckethead midi) is available May 31st, but if I pay 6.66 euros, I can play the WAD with the Buckethead midi now?!

8 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

Crazy - so my understanding now is that the free WAD (without Buckethead midi) is available May 31st, but if I pay 6.66 euros, I can play the WAD with the Buckethead midi now?!

Yes but I haven't wrapped my head around to how to access the Buckethead mp3 and I payed for the 6 bucks due to hype.

9 minutes ago, WadArchive said:

Sweet.

4 minutes ago, SamuelNMEvander said:

Yes but I haven't wrapped my head around to how to access the Buckethead mp3 and I payed for the 6 bucks due to hype.

Make sure to load shreds after sigil, otherwise the midi soundtrack will overwrite the mp3.

I just toured the deathmatch maps with the midi soundtrack. Honestly, both soundtracks are great. Also noticed a HOM in E5M9's arena. When you activate the lifts at the bottom corners, the sides are missing a lower texture, oops.

1 minute ago, PaquoCastor said:

Honestly, both soundtracks are great.

Agreed, both are really good. I prefer @Jimmy's OST where as Buckethead's is a good novelty IMO.

Played the first three levels, they were a challenge but nothing impossible. Definitely had way more trouble with E1M8b

The only death was from a sudden surprise visitor in level 2. Was a fun puzzle figuring out to deal with it with little ammo :)

11 minutes ago, PaquoCastor said:

Make sure to load shreds after sigil, otherwise the midi soundtrack will overwrite the mp3.

How do I do that.... exactly? 

UPDATE: README states that Doom1 WAD should be put into GZDOOM directory and drag SIGIL & SIGIL SHREDS files onto the exe. but it still plays MIDI

4 minutes ago, SamuelNMEvander said:

How do I do that.... exactly? 

Use Doom Launcher or ZDL to adjust the load order. Would presumably work the same way when using -file if you put SIGIL_SHREDS.wad after SIGIL.wad

5 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

Use Doom Launcher or ZDL to adjust the load order. Would presumably work the same way when using -file if you put SIGIL_SHREDS.wad after SIGIL.wad

No, I got it to work with GZDOOM, it doesn't need ZDL. Just have Doom1 wad on GZDOOM directory, buy the Buckethead SIGIL + then drag and drop all of the SIGIL wads, SIGIL, SHREDS, COMPAT & SHREDS COMPAT onto GZDOOM.exe and access the right SIGL episode text from the main menu window. I believe it was the SIGIL episode text without the bleed effect. And that is how ppl can access Buckethead music, worked for me!

EDIT: YES, THE SIGIL TEXT WITHOUT BLEED EFFECT IS BUCKETHEAD AND THE BLEEDING SIGIL TEXT IS MIDI 

I have to say this: E5M7 is not my jam. That was a rough go. Has anyone else had any issues with the shootable eye triggers breaking occasionally?

2 minutes ago, SamuelNMEvander said:

No, I got it to work with GZDOOM, it doesn't need ZDL. Just have Doom1 wad on GZDOOM directory, buy the Buckethead SIGIL + then drag and drop all of the SIGIL wads, SIGIL, SHREDS, COMPAT & SHREDS COMPAT onto GZDOOM.exe and access the right SIGL episode text from the main menu window. I believe it was the SIGIL episode text without the bleed effect. And that is how ppl can access Buckethead music, worked for me!

The COMPAT versions replace E3 rather than E5 for ports that don't support MAPINFO. You don't need to load them if you're using GZDoom.

got it.

EDIT: actually you need to load all of the files with GZDOOM to access mp3, at least on my experience, tried to load them with SIGIL+SHREDS but it plays MIDI. Idk maybe I'm just dumb or something.

3 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

The COMPAT versions replace E3 rather than E5 for ports that don't support MAPINFO. You don't need to load them if you're using GZDoom.

Yeah I was watching pagb666 and the title shows e3m1.

27 minutes ago, PaquoCastor said:

Also noticed a HOM in E5M9's arena. When you activate the lifts at the bottom corners, the sides are missing a lower texture, oops.

It's a Doom Builder issue automatically deleting textures so it is always important to check your lower textures.

I bought the big box, but live on the west coast, meaning I won't get it until Monday (which is really Tuesday). The tracking number says it's only 60 miles way, too. Are there any links to download it? Next week is busy for me so I'm probably SOL until next weekend :(

Does the pay link offer an ability to download it for free if you've already bought the box?

Waiting sucks, it's 2019, I expect everything to be instant!! /s

I finished it!  Here is my writeup, spoilers ahead:

Spoiler

I super loved it!  Very fresh!!

I played on UV and it took me 1-2 hours.  I died about 2-5 times, and didn't find the secret level, but played it after.

Some background about me, Doom remains my favorite game of all time because, in my opinion, it's all about the levels.  Levels in Doom (both official and custom levels) can be endlessly expressive, of fresh gameplay, atmosphere, fresh sense of space... in most games, levels are just the tools to bring out the programmed gameplay.  But in Doom, the gameplay is simple, but the levels are the game.  Doom truly has infinite games within it.  Other games have custom levels of course, but they just aren't interesting as Doom's.  So that's my opinion anyway.

So anyway, what I look for in Doom levels, is fresh expressions of gameplay, atmosphere, sense of space, all achieved through just interesting level design.

That's what I was hoping for with Sigil and it's exactly what I got.

The general atmosphere was perhaps my favorite aspect.  It's extremely indoor, and dark, but still intense.  It didn't feel like a revisit of Inferno, it felt very different, something new.  The most memorable moments I keep thinking about, theme-wise, are the levels that are cramped buildings surrounded by a giant black void.  Levels 2 and 5 were the main levels doing this.  They had a really fresh cool feeling, that I'm still thinking about.  I think the Buckethead shreds assisted way more than I expected, it really felt like the right atmosphere for the sort of badass-spooky vibe being achieved here.

Throughout the wad, just a general good use of darkness and dimness, with torches and stuff for contrast.  It was a very dim version of hell.  Another highlight was the cyberdemon maze in level 6.  It was a good looking, dim cavernous room, with a lot of torches and short marble walls with perched enemies.  Well designed encounter, not too gimmicky, still Doom gameplay, but fresh, and good atmosphere.

Another highlight was the first half of level 6, cool use of exploring/fighting through pitch black dark halls, but you can just make out enemies' outlines thanks to bright cracks in walls.  Original doom has good use of lighting, but generally didn't make you fight in extreme darkness much, so this felt pretty new.

But just in general, the moment-to-moment gameplay was well done, pretty much every few seconds I said "yep, that was fun".  "Yep that was weird and cool."

Oh, the new switch mechanic was an unexpected new fun thing, I thought.  It was fun having a new mechanic to think about while scanning rooms!

All in all, I'm expecting this will be among my all-time favorite wads, that I will continue to play often.  My favorite wad of all time is nerve.wad (aka no rest for the living) (seriously I worship this wad I play it like twice a year), and I doubt this tops it... although man e5m3's layout really reminded me of nerve.wad...

Anything bad to say?? Mmmmm I'm not sure about the end of e5m8, that was a weird finish, I have to try that one again.  The level itself was cool, just the end of it I'm not sure I understood.

And the crushers in e5m4, it was a well-designed part, but I got sick of it.  Well, it was kind of my fault, I explored the heck out of the crusher maze because I thought I was supposed to find a key in it.  But apparently you don't need the keys or something.  Or maybe I had a bug or something, 'cause I didn't end up needing the keys to hit the key-switches... I would have liked the part if I didn't over-explore it!

Edited by Epyo

If there is a link out there but it doesn't have the Buckethead music I'm fine with that. I'll have the real thing by Tuesday anyway. I'm definitely going to play through it twice.