Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

I am looking forward to playing this soon. Love the dark, moody and abstract atmosphere.

2 minutes ago, kristus said:

not so much complicated as it is inconsistent.

I was saying this in jest, but yeah it's not worth trying to make 1:1 connections since it wasn't really meant for that.

I read a few people noticed some bugs. Do you think the wad will get updated?

I'mma buy the digital version for the BH OST.

(bugs could be fixed with a simple PWAD over the top rather than having to re-issue the whole WAD)

Oh yeah, the same person who "reviewed" (read: advertised) Fresh Supply as "really good" without even playing much of it, probably.

Can't wait for Sigil, gonna take a short break from my current let's plays of Blood mods on my channel and return to Doom for it.

I find amusing that John Romero has bothered to set the timestamp of the files as 10/12/2018 00:00 (GMT), that is, the 25th anniversary of Doom. Minor yet interesting and cool detail.

I find it kind of annoying that Romero is selling digital downloads prior to the free release date without providing the people who already bought it physically a free download. Maybe I'm just a cynical asshole but when basically everyone who lives outside the US is going to be left waiting another week or two for our copies to arrive (as far as I can tell my copy is still 3,500 miles away, in Pennsylvania, and has been for a couple of days now) it comes off as an attempt to get us to double dip so we don't have to wait.

Edited by MeatSafeMurderer : Disregard: I am a cynical asshole after all.

16 minutes ago, seed said:

Oh yeah, the same person who "reviewed" (read: advertised) Fresh Supply as "really good" without even playing much of it, probably.

Can't wait for Sigil, gonna take a short break from my current let's plays of Blood mods on my channel and return to Doom for it.

I hadn't really played Blood since the early 2000 so I didn't really notice that it wasn't playing the same as the original. I can imagine Gggman had the same experience that I did. I enjoyed my time in Blood Fresh Supply, and I didn't have any technical issues on top of that. Someone who is more familiar with Blood would of course notice this. But it's unreasonable to expect most to do so. 

On top of that, what art is and what it does to us is entirely subjective. So, try to appreciate that opinions differ on matters. There really is no reason to invalidate anyone's opinion because they don't coincide with your own.

I haven't played SIGIL yet but i don't think that GmanLives (dunno why he changed his name tbh) understands that SIGIL is supposed to be related to the Ultimate Doom...hence why it's like an "unofficial" Episode 5 and i'm sure most people will see it as that. It's not like Romero is going to make EP 5 too different from the rest of Doom. It's not going to be something along the scale of Eviternity or something of that nature. Who cares if there were mods that were more impressive 10 years ago? That's not what this is supposed to be. This is a celebration of Doom's anniversary and Romero just trying out some new shit...mainly hell style maps. Technically speaking, Romero can make whatever he wants too (and he did) and i'd probably enjoy it anyways because i'm a fan but from the footage i've seen so far, it looks like it'll sit well next to the Doom cannon.

There is no Doom II beastiary so i'm sure some people might hate that, but it's meant to go along with The Ultimate Doom. Since i've been playing quite a fair bit of '94 mapsets i'm sure i'll be used to the tight corridors and Doom loadout (aka no SSG) but probably not the difficulty spike that this will have on UV haha!

Also, while i do usually agree with GmanLives' reviews, there were a few that i didn't agree with. I didn't agree with his first review of Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix as i personally really enjoyed that game and he didn't although he did change his opinion after re-playing it later and even made another review titling it a "redux". Also that Blood: Fresh Supply review was a little iffy...I mean how could he not even notice that the HUD was only in 4:3 resolution at launch?

Edited by CyberDreams : spelling errors

19 minutes ago, kristus said:

I hadn't really played Blood since the early 2000 so I didn't really notice that it wasn't playing the same as the original. I can imagine Gggman had the same experience that I did. I enjoyed my time in Blood Fresh Supply, and I didn't have any technical issues on top of that. Someone who is more familiar with Blood would of course notice this. But it's unreasonable to expect most to do so. 

On top of that, what art is and what it does to us is entirely subjective. So, try to appreciate that opinions differ on matters. There really is no reason to invalidate anyone's opinion because they don't coincide with your own.

Oh I don't mind the fact that he doesn't like Sigil, don't misunderstand me :) . I'm not one to call someone else's opinions "shit" or invalid because I don't personally agree with them (unlike others... and I have first-hand experience here).

My point was, that after that "review" he lost his credibility in my eyes, he clearly didn't play much of it, considering the fact that the review appeared only a few hours after the game came out if I'm not mistaken, and some things were completely broken at release, something anyone who played the game for a bit could notice (Spray Cans, for one), and other things continue to be (Voodoo Doll), for now. I love Fresh Supply and Nightdive for their work, but that being said, nothing is immune to criticism and I am not going to pretend that it didn't have a bit of a rushed launch, and consequently being released in an unpolished state.

Edited by seed

9 hours ago, pcorf said:

It's a Doom Builder issue automatically deleting textures so it is always important to check your lower textures.

Yes, good point. It's an understandable error in the map.

6 hours ago, dew said:

The problem is that there are two gunshot lines for every of the eye triggers - one that opens up level progression and one that closes off the evil eye. If you shoot from an angle, it is possible to hit just the latter in some cases. It has never happened to me during any of the testing, so I didn't even know it was an issue, but then it did yesterday, softlocked us in a coop game and I instantly realized what was going on, heh. Oops!

I broke the eye on E5M8 by chainsawing it, heh. I should have noticed this, because the first thing I did was open all four wads in Slade. I took the easy way to find the secret exit, and noticed that the eyes work via two line specials.

1 hour ago, Kroc said:

(bugs could be fixed with a simple PWAD over the top rather than having to re-issue the whole WAD)

Patch wads would work. Although sigil.wad and sigil_compat.wad are both less than five megs. Actually patching could work too.

Each has a downside of course, but we will see, after the wide free release, what all could use patching.

I assume the shreds wads will be fine though, hopefully.

I have successfully loaded the mp3s with GZDoom, Eternity Engine, and prboom-plus, myself.

27 minutes ago, Diabolución said:

Supposedly, if you are in that case you can request a (free, I assume) download link.

Okay, so I am just a cynical asshole. Good to know 🤣
For anyone else in our shoes:

Oof, yeah I disagree with every single note in that review.  He's allowed to dislike it of course, but every point sounded like this "Sigil does 'this' and that sucks" but he just came in with a lot of preconceptions about what a doom level should and should not be, and it seems to be a ridiculously narrow, closed definition, that wouldn't even match up with very many other people at all.

Spoiler

"It was stingy with ammo and that sucks".  Uhh, that's a design choice, one that people usually adore...also I didn't even think it was stingy, I never ran out of ammo whatsoever.  "It doesn't even use doom 2 assets" also a design choice, we need way more doom 1 wads in the world.  "Sigil uses tight surroundings as a means of increasing the difficulty" dude all of these points are complements.  "Several points about how it's hard" yeah sounds like you're just bad at the game.  "How much fun is it fighting a baron of hell with a shotgun" yo you're literally staring at the level exit fully reachable with no enemies in the way!  "Give me medkits" ok, this isn't a review, this is just a complain fest.

Although it's possible I've lost touch with the doom community, and maybe this opinions are the collective opinion.  But I don't think so.  Welll there are definitely the "detail fiends" who only really enjoy the ridiculously detailed beautiful maps (a valid point of view I think, detail rules), and of course they're not going to like this fairly vanilla style, but...that didn't even seem to be one of the points of the review!

Also, this has nothing to do with the review, but I enjoyed this point "Your average joe isn't gonna go download sigil after spending a couple of hours playing overwatch" heh, actually...I was playing overwatch for 4 hours right before finding out Sigil was available and went straight to it, XD

6 minutes ago, Epyo said:

Oof, yeah I disagree with every single note in that review.  He's allowed to dislike it of course, but every point sounded like this "Sigil does 'this' and that sucks" but he just came in with a lot of preconceptions about what a doom level should and should not be, and it seems to be a ridiculously narrow, closed definition, that wouldn't even match up with very many other people at all.

Hide contents

"It was stingy with ammo and that sucks".  Uhh, that's a design choice, one that people usually adore...also I didn't even think it was stingy, I never ran out of ammo whatsoever.  "It doesn't even use doom 2 assets" also a design choice, we need way more doom 1 wads in the world.  "Sigil uses tight surroundings as a means of increasing the difficulty" dude all of these points are complements.  "Several points about how it's hard" yeah sounds like you're just bad at the game.  "How much fun is it fighting a baron of hell with a shotgun" yo you're literally staring at the level exit fully reachable with no enemies in the way!  "Give me medkits" ok, this isn't a review, this is just a complain fest.

Although it's possible I've lost touch with the doom community, and maybe this opinions are the collective opinion.  But I don't think so.  Welll there are definitely the "detail fiends" who only really enjoy the ridiculously detailed beautiful maps (a valid point of view I think, detail rules), and of course they're not going to like this fairly vanilla style, but...that didn't even seem to be one of the points of the review!

Also, this has nothing to do with the review, but I enjoyed this point "Your average joe isn't gonna go download sigil after spending a couple of hours playing overwatch" heh, actually...I was playing overwatch for 4 hours right before finding out Sigil was available and went straight to it, XD

You forgot the best quote of the video:

"That overreliance on cacodemons as a means of making rooms more challenging is just lazy"

GmanLives is an idiot.

Cool the mp3's seem to work in Crispy Doom 5.5.2, didn't know that crispy had mp3 support.

I loaded it with -iwad doom.wad -file SIGIL_COMPAT.wad SIGIL_SHREDS_COMPAT.wad

Gonna play it right now.

Just now, Dwaze said:

Cool the mp3's seem to work in Crispy Doom 5.5.2, didn't know that crispy had mp3 support.

I loaded it with -iwad doom.wad -file SIGIL_COMPAT.wad SIGIL_SHREDS_COMPAT.wad

Gonna play it right now.

Also Classic RBDoom 3 BFG has support for every FFMPEG audio format (mp3 included)

Nevermind, I have a new favourite quote from that video:

"There's time to marvel at another misaligned wall-texture before you enter a portal and it's all over"

The "misaligned" texture in question:

grafik.png.91b8fdc1ea3d369a980d9d6bb3847583.png

3 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I always was under the impression that E4 was doomguy getting out of hell and back to the "normal earth".

2 hours ago, Kira said:

Yeah it looks like it's the "corridor" between Hell and Earth. You could see E4 as the deleted scenes of what happens between E3M8 and the burning city.

Now does that make Sigil the deleted scenes right after E4M8? Doom's plot is complicated.

Cool - that's what makes sense intuitively to me, as well, but I had found an old Doomworld thread in which the consensus seemed to be that Thy Flesh Consumed took place on Earth. 

Just now, noisebloom said:

Cool - that's what makes sense intuitively to me, as well, but I had found an old Doomworld thread in which the consensus seemed to be that Thy Flesh Consumed took place on Earth. 

These people were WRONG.

Spoiler

WRONG!