Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tarnsman

Final Doom The Way id Did

I'm bumping this thread because nobody wants this project to be wasted.

On 2/27/2019 at 12:30 PM, Sokoro said:

I am starting next map, which will take slot map32 and is imitating Christopher Buteau who made tnt.wad map22 Habitat and icarus.wad map01 Shuttlecraft.

Notes about Christopher Buteau usage of editor:

• He likes to use sector light 255 for outdoor areas and some lights, likes to use high contrast of lighting.
  • He loves monster closets and monsters teleporting into level, he likes to place monsters and even decorations in big groups (he even hides a player in closet icarus map01).
  • He likes to use gradual sector lighting a bit, and shadow cast a bit too in icarus. his light levels seems to be 255 and lot of powers of 16 (128, 144, 160 etc), but also some odd things like 120 and 170.
  • His lowest lighting level was 112 (30 in icarus but only after triggered event), his highest 255.
  • He likes naturaly looking outdoor areas but also symetric interiors (in icarus there is lot of symetry), also long hallways and bit of mazing concept too.
  • He uses bright textures like silver and bright green textures, both maps have a bit of satanic imaginery in them.
  • He did some layout effect made with lowering floors and other sector effects for some interesting machinery in both maps.
  • Sector heights seems to be random numbers 256, 191, 16, 32, 150
  • He likes curves and does not fear to use many vertices to create curved lines.
  • He used some liquid detail with linedefs to simulate liquid flowing on floor in both of the maps.
  • He likes to do details with gradual floor increase, or celling decrease, simulating slopes somehow

Good idea.

Any news about the progress?

This project still hasn't been forgotten, and again is on hold for the time being until some other projects are cleared out of the way. Please have some patience!

I've been thinking about this project a lot lately, and decided the two levels I uploaded previously ("Unbeaten Path" and "The Coffin") are not up to par with the quality the wad deserves. Thus, I ask the mods of this project to remove them.

In their place, I would like to upload a new entry, a map which I have taken more time to create, and which I have really tried to capture the spirit of TNT with. The map is titled "Stumbling Well", and should be for episode 2. Built in GZdoom builder, the map does work in Chocolate Doom as well. The link is here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/v1f0wpkk5fgv5v2/tntge.zip/file

But I also want to do more. I've decided that I should test and extensively review each of the uploaded entries thus far, something I intend to start today, and continue during Monday (I don't usually play videogames on Sunday.) Any feedback on "Stumbling Well" is also appreciated.

Thanks to @Tarnsman and all of the other mods for starting this project!

As promised, I have started playtesting for reviews, though I have only had time to get through one map. I will also rate each map on how similar I personally feel they are to TNT. Note the similarity rating is not an indicator of a map's quality.

Unnamed by Jaws in Space - Link is dead

Battery by Purist - Link is dead

Unnamed by Rottking

I like the scale of this map. Although short, it has a lot of open space. In fact, the map contains a number of TNT tropes, from the varying size of rooms, to some of the encounters (like the elevator that drops right next to a Hell Knight.) That said, I feel the map is a little too...polished for TNT. In my opinion, varying up some of the textures would help a lot. TNT is known for some weird texturing.

It is also quite a treacherous due to all the hitscanners, which is to be expected. Overall, a fun experience.  TNT Similarity: 7/10

More reviews soon.

Edited by obake

I stand on a similar spot, and currently don't feel any of my plutonia maps are up to standard. I am in the process of reworking Sudan, for a second time, and will post it here once I get it to something I feel is up to standard. I think that Arch Nemesis is good conceptually, but needs a minor rework (I found out it is extremely easy if you just rush through it without shooting). Although I would want to hear from Tarnsman if it qualifies under the project guidelines (It is arch-vile only, like Hunted, but differs in approach and isn't a maze), before I put any effort into fixing it. My third Plutonia map, Outpost, should just be scrapped in my opinion, it's too far off from Dario's style and not worth the effort of trying to rework.

I'm plenty happy with my TNT maps though. Thanks in advance obake for going through the effort of testing all the maps, I know that a handful of maps haven't been played by anyone, except thier author, with the project being on such a long hiatus.

Edited by dpstatic

I'm glad to help :)

Something to clarify: I have been testing the maps in Gzdoom, as I have not yet figured out how to get the TNT textures to work in Chocolate Doom (hence why my map currently does not use any Evilution textures.) Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Buried Base by Inkie

This feels similar to Rottking's map, in that it captures specific elements of TNT, but does not quite make it. Buried Base's rooms are mostly expansive, and well detailed. I think the things that stick out the most are the sparse combat and the lighting. I know this base is supposed to be underground, but I believe adding a few brighter areas would help diversify things.

As far as combat, it starts out fine, with lots of small hitscanners. However, after that, save for a few chaingunner ambushes, the fighting feels barren. I think having more deaf enemies would help out a lot, as most of the small fry are dealt with early on. I also think the Yellow Key room is a little too superfluous. Perhaps adding a (non-stuck) sergeant in there would spice it up. For the red key room with the Cacodemon trap, perhaps adding an imp or two atop the boxes to make things more interesting.

Overall, not a bad map. TNT similarity: 5/10

Radio Tower by Jazzmaster9

This is the first of the maps that I feel really captures TNT's essence. The layout, combat, traps, everything about it feels like it could be from Evilution. This includes the teleporter that sends you to different places depending on the direction you go, the sudden elevator with sergeants, the use of Doom furniture, and of course those spectres in claustrophobic rooms.

The one thing about the map that does not quite work is that it feels sometimes too polished in its textures (think the hallway before the first spectre trap.) Other than that, Radio Tower fits in great. TNT similarity: 9/10

The reviews continue...

Endpoint by A Gamma

Endpoint does a fairly accurate job of recreating the TNT feel. The map itself, while not my favorite to play, has its moments. I especially dig the blue key area, with the winding stairs down, and then the central pillar you have to climb.

The map is spacious, and has plenty of optional areas. Some of them, like the nukage maze to get the red key, are BS, which is fine, as it replicates the feeling of TNT. I also applaud the use of textures, which look accurate to the time period Evilution was made.

Still, I feel the map could use more oomph. A Hellknight in the last room, maybe, or some Lost Souls in the big area outside. TNT similarity: 8/10

Metal and Mortar by Sincity2100

This one starts off wonky. You are surrounded by hordes of histcanners, in a very open, square room. The detailing, though abundant, does not come off as very TNT. Apart from that, the map's first half plays fine.

After the red key, things improve dramatically, with a supply room that has a TNT feel to it, and the particularly nasty (perhaps too nasty) chaingunner trap.

Overall this map, while it plays okay, is the least TNT feeling map thus far, which is not saying it is bad. TNT similarity 4/10

Nukage Complex by Sincity2100

This one is a vast improvement over Sin's last map. Not only does it feel more TNT, it plays better. That said, there are a few things I would change up.

First, there is the alcove with the skull switch texture. I would use another texture in its place, as it feels too weird. I would also vary up the type of monsters. While TNT has its share of hitscan spam, this one goes overboard. Some are great, like the ambush when the window opens after you go into the blue key room. But other times, it felt like the map relies too much on Chaingunners. I would suggest replacing some of the gunners with a Revenant or Hellknight or two. Some of the detailing may also be a bit too good for 1996 standards, but nothing is too egregious in that regard.

Otherwise, this is good map. It has fun encounters, interesting areas, and feels fairly TNT. TNT similarity 7/10

Go Train! By Jmickel

Dead link.

Stonewall by Jazzmaster9

A decent map overall. Although the layout is fairly boxy at first glance, there is enough variation in rooms that it works. I especially like the setup of the starting room, and the architecture of the room with the supershotgun.

However, it does feel like Sergeants are spammed too much in that room. Perhaps replace two or three with Imps or Zombies, and it would work better.

I also appreciate the use of the Hell Knight and Cacodemon traps.

This is a simple, decent map, even if not the most TNT. TNT similarity 6/10

A few more reviews:

Melting Point by Sudo459

This map is sufficiently difficult to be from TNT, that is for sure.

I really like the opening area, with the various choice of teleporters, and lots of zombiemen milling around. The cramped room with the elevator to the supershotgun is definitely in the style of Evilution.

There are, however, a few notable bugs. The first is that there are two HOMS, one from the platform that raises to the alcove with the first archvile. The second is from the door that closes behind the player in the room they fall into that has the lava pit (the room is the one where there is a line of knights and a baron.)

This room also has a MAJOR bug, in that the pillars only open from the side inaccessible to the player.

I was having fun for the first half of this map, but the second, not as much. That second room with the pillars that rise up and down over the pit of lava, while similar to something from TNT, is a massive pain (the first is not so bad.)

Overall, not one of my favorite maps, but honorable. TNT similarity: 7/10

Pitchfork by Soundblock

Dead link.

The Divide by Soundblock

Dead link.

Substructure by Rottking

This map has a lot going for it, from crisp design, to neat effects such as the lowering of the entire first area. Plus good use of Arachnotrons, who are given plenty of space to roam around.

I feel Substructure is quite close to the spirit of TNT. TNT similarity: 8/10

Crusade by Sincity2100

This may be the best looking map of episode 1, though it is simple enough that it could feasibly be seen in TNT. There are some fun computer areas with furniture, and I think I even saw some cars near the exit.

I like this one, though it suffers from a symptom that a lot of episode 1 maps have had, which is that it feels a little too packed with hitscanners. Do not get me wrong, even Ultimate Doom has its hitscanner spam (think E1M7). But most of those situations are in more enclosed spaces, while the hitscanners here and in a lot of these maps are often out in the open.

Asides from that, this map is fairly close in TNT to its architecture, and has some really fun encounters, especially near the end. As far as similarity goes, it is close to feeling like TNT, though not the closest. TNT similarity: 7/10

Episode 1 thoughts

As stated in my review of Crusade, episode 1 here has a lot of hitscan spam. Of course Evilution has this trope, but it feels like too many of these maps use it. A few would be fine, but it would be nice for one or two more maps to break from that. TNT to me has always felt more like a grab bag, with maps that feature more unique set pieces and traps.

This is not to say I did not enjoy the episode. To the contrary. Putting aside the complaints, many of these maps do have a genuine TNT feeling, even if a bit updated. Maps like Radio Tower, Enpoint, and Melting Point are the best examples. There are of course cases of Doom furniture, optional areas, interesting (and sometimes BS) traps.

I should say for an episode 1, the set is probably too difficult, and not just from hitscanners (if trying to create a 1996-style replacement for Evilution, that is.) Otherwise it is a decent representation, though not the best. Putting it an average out of the eight levels I've been able to play, episode 1's TNT similarity rating is a 6.75 out of 10.

Starting episode 2:

Disclosure by Sincity2100

Disclosure, while not all that similar to TNT (asides from the layout), is still a ton of fun. The traps have good variety (I especially like the Pinkie/Revs). Each area has its own flavor. I especially dig how chaotic things get once the Cyber is let loose.

This is one of the best maps so far, though not all that close to TNT. Also weird how there is a monster blocking line from the hall leading to the red key room. I am not sure if that feels like something from TNT or not. TNT similarity: 5/10

Hypocaust by Jimmy

There is definitely a spirit of Evilution in this map. The layout, textures, progression, it has that feel.

The map on its own is fine, though not my favorite. I got lost a few times. I am sure that is intentional on Jimmy's part, as TNT does not always have the easiest progression. The map's layout and textures feel oldschool, with various misalignments and strange rooms, though none of it feels amateurish.

While not my favorite to play, it does capture the TNT spirit. TNT similarity: 9/10

Unbeaten Path by Obake

Not going to be part of project. Replace it with my new map, Stumbling Well.

Disaster Station by Sincity2100

Dead link.

Fissure by Rottking

This one was a doozy. Over 300 monsters to deal with.

Overall, this one starts out feeling a lot like TNT, with its use of textures, traps, furniture, etc. I really like the beginning portions.

It is once the player reaches a particular area where the map starts dragging, and that would be the giant hallway with several ledges on each side. This area feels not only too much for TNT, but is just not fun. There are some cool places afterward, like jagged slime hallways. However, it took me a long time to figure out where the switch to raise the two bridges was.

The coolest part was of course the giant spaceship full of Chaingunners. It is an awesome detail, and fits perfectly into the wad. This map is hard to rate, as it feels exactly like TNT up to a point, and has so many elements of it. But the scale is a bit overblown (I am not even sure the game could handle some of the areas in source ports like Vanilla or Chocolate.)

Something I would stress is adding a bit more ammo, particularly for the chaingun and shotgun, as I felt low on shells and clips often. If I had not found the secret Plasma Rifle, I would have certainly had a much harder time making it through certain portions. Adding just one box of bullets and box of shells would be enough to fix the issue, imo. TNT similarity: 8/10

Technology Nightmare by Sincity2100

I must be honest, I did not like this level. It has some interesting setpieces, like the cubes you climb upon to get the Plasma Rifle. The layout is fine.

But parts like that tech maze, though similar to something TNT might do, are slow, and in the maze's case, frustrating. There is nowhere to dodge the Archviles attack when the walls lower. The Cyber, on the other hand, is barely a presence at all.

The rest of the map is not horrible, but the bad parts drag it down. TNT similarity: 6/10

Corporate Branch by Dpstatic

There's a lot I like about this one, and some things I don't.

Starting with the cons, there are too many Barons, even for a TNT level, I feel. There was probably a secret rocket launcher (given I found rocket ammo), but since I did not find it, I was left to slowly get rid of many Barons and Knights with only a SSG. There also should be armor for the big fountain area. I would also say there are too many Chaingunners, especially in that room.

Now to the positives, the texturing, layout, and progression all feel very Evilution. I really like the huge fountain room, and all the detail that went into it. I like the nukage section, and the computer room with the blue key. It is yet another example of TNT-style Doom furniture put to good use. Also, despite there being too many Barons, the fighting is mostly solid, especially in the first half of the map. By the second half, ammo gets a bit too scarce, so like last map, perhaps an added box of bullets would make things more bearable.

As is, the map feels and plays very TNT, but has a few issues that could be ironed out. TNT similarity: 8/10

On 5/18/2019 at 11:28 PM, dpstatic said:

I think that Arch Nemesis is good conceptually, but needs a minor rework (I found out it is extremely easy if you just rush through it without shooting). Although I would want to hear from Tarnsman if it qualifies under the project guidelines (It is arch-vile only, like Hunted, but differs in approach and isn't a maze), before I put any effort into fixing it.

Yeah, the concept for Arch-Nemesis is very interesting (teleports instead of doors). The intro message for MAP12 mentions a maze of archviles anyways, so this is pretty faithful.

Hyperion by Jazzmaster

It's nice to have a breather after a few larger maps. Hyperion is very, very simple and straightforward. It feels like it belongs in episode 1 rather than 2.

It is not a bad map, but does not have much presence. The most TNT-like area is the room with the YK, which has a cool Hell Knight and Spectre trap. Otherwise, there is not much else to say. TNT similarity: 7/10

Unnamed by Senile Samurai

This one unfortunately really does not feel like TNT, imo, save for the first room.

This is another like Hyperion that does not leave much of an impression. Sure, there are lots of enemies in dangerous positions (particularly Revs), but it does not gel together. The most exciting encounter is right after the RK, where the Archvile pops up.

Other than that, combat is very bleh, including getting up the elevator to the area with the YK. You have to mow down the enemies from far below, or shoot them as they go down the elevator, which is not exciting. The last encounter is also unimpressive. I stumbled upon the secret exit by accident. There is also too little health, and the Baron in the last encounter is unable to teleport in.

I hate being harsh, since I know mapping takes a lot of work. This map has some neat areas, like the halls leading into the blood room. But it needs a lot of work. I feel adding more health, more rockets, and making some of the encounters more exciting would help a lot. What about if after picking up the YK, a bunch of Imps happen to teleport into the marble hallway, blocking the exit door, while bigger monsters teleport in to the main outside area? Something like that would make the map more interesting. As is, TNT similarity 2/10.

Episode 2 thoughts

This episode starts a lot stronger than it finishes, both in terms of TNT similarity and map quality. The last few maps really have troubles, even if not all of them are bad. I would say the issues that need most addressing in this episode are 1) again, too much hitscan spam, even for TNT (particularly in Corporate Branch), 2) uninteresting or annoying traps (think the maze area in Technology Nightmare.)

As stated, the beginning of the episode is incredibly strong. I really enjoyed Disclosure, and Hypocaust was the most TNT feeling map of the set. Even Corporate Branch, with its issues, has a lot of great moments. Overall average TNT similarity of episode 2: 6.4 out of 10.

Now onto episode 3.

Now to the secret maps:

Forgotten World by Joe667

This one is still unfinished, with no exit. I am assuming this is replaced by Sincity's Paradise, but I will still review it.

There is some cool stuff here. I like the room designs, especially near the beginning. Stuff like the bloody table with the impaled marine is very TNT-esque, and really cool. Though again, it feels like Chaingunners are overused. With the second half of the map (at least the second half of what is finished), there is not much to say. Overall, it does not feel unique enough to be a secret map, though I do enjoy the scope of the outside areas. Hopefully when (or if) the map is finished, it utilizes some of those islands in the distance, perhaps teleporting the player there with a big battle. TNT similarity: 6/10

Paradise by Sincity2100

This is more what I expect from a secret map.

For the most part, I like this one. The battles are fun, there are some interesting encounters (especially the Caco/PE swarm, and it feels spacious without feeling too empty (though more can be done for the area near the YK door.)

One thing that could improve this map is more ammunition, particularly for the Plamsa Rifle. Overall this is a fun one, and fairly similar to TNT. I would also make the way to get to the secret exit more interesting, rather than just a switch out in the open. TNT similarity: 7/10

Hell Hath Fury by Jimmy

At first I was not really getting into this one, but it grew on me.

This level is strange, and not just because the lava (thankfully) does not hurt. The layout, weapon progression (like getting the RL after the Mastermind trap). I was thinking it all felt a little too architecturally advanced, which it may at times be.

But the important thing is that it is fun, and a nice rest from many other levels of the set. I really, really like that this level is not another Chaingunner spam fest. Even if TNT is known for some BS traps, I believe it is vital for any wad to give some breathers, which this level does. I know TNT's actual map 29 is more aggressive, especially with its candle puzzle. I am actually grateful the puzzle here, though similar, is not an instant death trap.

Overall, this is a map that feels quite like TNT, and though large in scale, is a good breather. TNT similarity: 8/10

The Coffin by Obake

Not part of the wad.

The Blood Asylum by Sincity2100

This was a fun map, and fairly TNT in style. There is not a whole lot to say, the map is straightforward, has some fun encounters (I like the marble room with the big pit in the middle with the PE), a good use of Barons without feeling grindy, and a fun last battle. Though I wonder if Chocolate or Vanilla could handle that giant blood room with so many enemies.

Perhaps it was something with GZDoom, but the Cyberdemon was behaving strangely, as if he was stuck, but only sometimes. I initially thought to run past him, but was then blasted by a rocket into the exit, causing me to pistol start the next map. That was definitely a surprise.

I also noticed is the textures are not always aligned, which matches the era of Evilution. Overall this is a fine map. TNT similarity: 7/10

Red Purgatory by Sincity2100

Though this one honestly does not feel much like TNT, it is still fun. It has that classic hell aesthetic, mixed with a more unusual circular design. Although there are plenty of hitscanners, it never gets tedious. I like that the map relies more on enemies like Revs and Hellknights to cause trouble.

I say it does not feel like TNT in that it may be a bit too “clean” in its texturing and layout, plus the lighting is flat. That said, its use of enemies and encounters does have a somewhat Evilution vibe. TNT similarity: 5/10

Hell's Odyssey by Sincity2100

This one is tough to rate, as there are parts that really drag, and parts that are wonderful. The beginning hallways are like TNT, but things devolve once the player goes up the first marble staircase, where behind them pops up a bunch of Revs and a Vile. I happened to miss both the RL (which was nearly hidden in the hallway just before) and the SSG (which I admit I completely missed in the starting room), so dealing with this trap was more difficult than it needed to be, as there is also nowhere to hide in the rooms atop of the stairs, either.

Once the teleport is reached, though, things improve dramatically. My favorite is the long stretch of hallway with the Mastermind and the spiraling staircases around it, going up to a supply room. This area is plain cool, and great to fight in. Despite the map having lots of detail, it almost all feels like TNT, with the use of lights, computers, cracks in the wall, etc.

Everything goes well until after the YK door, which leads to an area where you go up various staircases only to be met with a ton of monsters each time. This part is downright tedious. Even the Cyberdemon does not make much of an impression, especially as you can lead him into the BK room, and shoot at him from outside one of the windows, where he cannot hit you.

Overall this is a map that needs a lot of work in certain areas, while being nearly perfect in the rest. TNT similarity: 8/10

Out of curiosity, are you planning on covering the Plutonia submissions as well, obake?

1 hour ago, AD_79 said:

Out of curiosity, are you planning on covering the Plutonia submissions as well, obake?

Yes, though I freely admit I'm not as familiar with Plutonia, so hopefully my critiques are still well founded.

Cool. I'm particularly curious about the authenticity of my submissions, I think I've done a solid job with it (beyond my super old submission from 2014 or something, don't bother trying to track that down) but more opinions on the matter would be helpful. I was also planning on running through the Plutonia maps at some point to do basically the same thing, will do so once I find the time for it.

That sounds like a good plan. This has been a project I've wanted to see covered more. As an aside, I wonder when the maplist will be updated, though I fully understand everyone is probably super busy.

From what I know, it's entirely on hold until certain other things* are cleared out of the way. Once those are done, I believe a new thread will be made with a more up-to-date list.

(*tnt2, maybe something else I don't remember)

Institution by Dpstatic

This one is strange. It has a ton of Doom furniture, ranging from desks, chairs, computers (with waterfall textures as the screen, very odd), and even stadium seats. The beginning areas are not great, but it does improve over time.

I am glad Dpstatic provides a Berserk on the same platform as the YK. It is a helpful touch for a room that is dark and full of dangerous nukage. I noticed the two chaingunners to the players side in the room after the first teleport are stuck.

The last area with the Mastermind is fun to run around in, even if the Mastermind herself is not much of a threat from a distance. Walking around the edges of that last room does drag things down.

I also like the doors you can see through near the beginning. I am not sure how that is accomplished, but it is cool.

Overall, this is not one of my favorite maps, but it does have interesting ideas. As for how similar it is to Evilution, the map does have various tropes like large, open rooms, and optional areas, but the combat does not always quite match up. TNT similarity: 7/10

Mountainside Something by Marcaek

Whoa boy, this is a big one. The scale of this map is huge, probably the biggest of any thus far. As grandiose as the outside areas are, though, the majority of the map will be spent in various buildings, which have top notch detail. Extra points go the sometimes wonky, often misaligned textures (staying true to the original TNT theme.)

Everything in the inside areas is unique and fun. Each building has its own flavor, from box storage, to computer labs, and plenty of windows you want to avoid getting sniped from. I especially like the building with the Blue Key, where there is a lot of interesting places for Sergeants to hide.

But things do not start well. You have to traverse a long, winding ledge, all while avoiding distant Arachnotrons, Imps, Knights, and Revs. Though an arrow of light (a nice detail, btw) indicates to go into the lava pool below, to then quickly lower a bridge, the only way I could actually get through this part was to run onto the ledge overlooking the lava, which is quite frustrating, given the angle. Going into the lava was always death, no matter how quickly I got to the switch. I then had to jump passed a particular wall (the only without impassible lines) to get into the closest tower, to progress.

There are a few MAJOR bugs that need to be addressed: the teleports on each end of the bridge don't work, meaning if the player gets on there, they are softlocked. The other bug is behind the ledge I needed to get onto, where there is a sector behind it that can be fallen into, and not traversed out without cheats.

I would suggest a few things: start the player with either a few medikits or a berserk pack for those playing continuous, and give the player the rocket launcher after they open the blue door. There is a RL in a secret that can be accessed early on, but I did not find it until much later, making some fights more frustrating then they could have been. More health and a tiny amount of ammo could also be added within the buildings.

Overall, the scale of this map is incredibly grand and epic, and has plenty of markings of what TNT is all about, but I would streamline it, and fix those bugs. TNT similarity: 8/10

Midnight Circus by Jazzmaster

I'm glad to end on a shorter map. Midnight Circus has some Evilution elements, like the beginning room with the rising blood, and the use of narrow walkways. Its placement of items is odd, sometimes a little messy. For example, the RL on the narrow ledge in the room with the Mancubus and Hell Knight, seems almost there to troll the player (though I had already gotten the secret RL earlier).

There is not much to say about the map. It has some interesting visual flare (such as the exit room portal), and it is nice to see Imps and Spectres utilized in swarm traps. TNT similarity: 7/10.

Episode 3 thoughts

This one took awhile longer than the others, due to the size of maps generally being bigger. Of all of the episodes, this is the closest to the original TNT. Things like texturing, layout, combat, most of it felt fairly similar to Evilution.

That said, the episode is not without issues, mostly in annoying and/or broken portions of maps. Bugs hinder lot of enjoyment from Mountainside Something, while parts of Hell's Oddysey are not fun to play. Plus the abundance of bigger maps makes the progression feel slower. Obviously the final product will mix the maps in a way that progresses better, but there is still a lot of big maps in one episode.

But the majority of the maps are fun, and the spirit of Evilution is certainly captured. Overall average TNT similarity of episode 3: 7 out of 10.

Overall thoughts on the TNT submissions: it is a fun project so far, but it has a lot to address. The main goal is to feel like another TNT from 1996, after all, and while certain maps capture the feeling of Evilution really close, others feel out of place, either being too advanced, or too difficult. There is also a lot of maps with hitscanner spam, one after the other, which in the final project should be spread out or whittled down a notch.

I hope these reviews have been helpful. Thanks for reading!

Soon, I will get to the Plutonia submissions.

Edited by obake

3 hours ago, obake said:

Institution by Dpstatic

This one is strange. It has a ton of Doom furniture, ranging from desks, chairs, computers (with waterfall textures as the screen, very odd), and even stadium seats. The beginning areas are not great, but it does improve over time.

I am glad Dpstatic provides a Berserk on the same platform as the YK. It is a helpful touch for a room that is dark and full of dangerous nukage. I noticed the two chaingunners to the players side in the room after the first teleport are stuck.

The last area with the Mastermind is fun to run around in, even if the Mastermind herself is not much of a threat from a distance. Walking around the edges of that last room does drag things down.

I also like the doors you can see through near the beginning. I am not sure how that is accomplished, but it is cool.

Overall, this is not one of my favorite maps, but it does have interesting ideas. As for how similar it is to Evilution, the map does have various tropes like large, open rooms, and optional areas, but the combat does not always quite match up. TNT similarity: 7/10

Given that this map was in the style of Drake O'Brien, that review is about what I would expect. That's not to say there aren't things I could do to improve the map.

As for the waterfall texture computer screens, that may be an issue with your source port. It should be an animated computer screen, with the word kill on it. (which in TNT is part of the same texture as a waterfall, since TNT crammed in a bunch of animated textures into one due to vanilla's limitations with animated textures)

Those doors are a bit odd, and I essentially copied the ones from Administration Center. Simply put, it's done by having the door sector have a height of one, and the door's outer sidedefs having a vertically offset middle texture instead of an upper texture.

So I found out that the MAP22: Habitat is fully compatible with doom 2, it does not use any custom TNT textures.

Was Christopher not aware that the project uses custom resource pack? Did he just dislike the new textures or was it coincidence?

Should I put myself under such restrictions and avoid usage of custom tnt textures while imitating CB map?

14 hours ago, Sokoro said:

So I found out that the MAP22: Habitat is fully compatible with doom 2, it does not use any custom TNT textures.

Was Christopher not aware that the project uses custom resource pack? Did he just dislike the new textures or was it coincidence?

Should I put myself under such restrictions and avoid usage of custom tnt textures while imitating CB map?

That could be a really good idea, but don't forget Christopher was the author of the first map of Icarus

4 hours ago, DJVCardMaster said:

don't forget Christopher was the author of the first map of Icarus

This. His Icarus map did use custom resources so I don't really think it is necessary to not use TNT textures.

Also I kinda wish that the CB style map in this would end up being more like Icarus' map01 rather than like TNT's map22.

Well, hope someone sees this in the future, if someone sees it, give proper feedback.

A Plutonia map in the style of Dario Casali. Plays on MAP17

Exodus - Dario Casali Style

The room with the RL and the PG is ripped off from DTWID E2M2.
The central layout is ripped from MAP01 of my unfinished megawad "Trial to Hell", in order to feel a little bit like Dario, copying himself.

96 monsters on UV. 
I feel it needs a little bit more ammo.

image.png.b60c464d746350f96f8e05e33325e014.png

@DJVCardMaster Pretty nice map, but the exit area is pretty weird. I wonder if F_SKY1 texture as ceiling of the exit teleporter was intentional, because there are COMPSPAN textures on the upper side. 

image.png

Hello, I designed a level for a different project and it was suggested that I submit it to this project.

Name: Cyberspace

Music: Fear's Falter (David Shaw)

IWAD: TNT: Evilution

Style: Tom Mustaine

cyberspace.zip

https://imgur.com/a/K0BEnCl

Any issues, let me know!