Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hitscanning_scumbag

What is your weirdest irrational fear?

Everytime when I see train, I often fear that it will go off the rails and all wagons roll down from the small hill and crush me. I'm not sure why. 

1. Fingers getting stuck between the door and the frame where the hinges are. The door closes, fingers break and fall off.

2. I had countless dreams in which my scapula just crumbled.

3. Heavy furniture falling on me.

Plus a whole bunch of fears of what might happen to my overly active 5 y.o. son with head full of stupid ideas.

4 hours ago, Misty said:

Everytime when I see train, I often fear that it will go off the rails and all wagons roll down from the small hill and crush me. I'm not sure why. 

I have a fear of a train thing too. For me, it's when I'm right next to a passing train, it feels like it's going to tip over and crush me. It's kind of amazing how tall train cars are and how narrow their wheel base is. Even more amazing with how fast trains can go.

...and how the drivers manage to steer them so precisely along those narrow rails.

Total silence. I remember reading up about a room that is so soundproof, you can hear your blood circulating in your body, and that it can drive someone insane. This ties in with my other fear: losing yourself. I feel bad for anyone with Alzheimer's...

5 hours ago, durian said:

My daughter recently went through a phase of being afraid of steam.

it's the epic store she should be afraid of

I used to fear that people could read my mind, then I tried not to think of anything. I used to fear that something bad would happen if I saw certain numbers. I used to fear that people follow me and watch everything I do. Later on noticed these were all pretty stupid thoughts. Now I just fear sudden surprise hugs.

I really wouldn't call this a fear or irrational, but rather an unsettling time we live in.  I'm talking about how fast we are jumping on the band wagon of AI and fully autonomous vehicles.  We still haven't even figured out how our brains fully work yet and yet we are working on ways to connect our brains to our mobile devices?! 

Yeah @dybbuk I agree with you about the cracks. I had the same fear not too long ago. Oddly enough what cured it for me was covering them with a poster or Some thing.

@Rhebiz me too man. For whatever  it's worth I thought that reading on how their made and inspecting it myself helped me a good deal.

As far as non irrational fears go, worried someone might put a sawblade on a tableware wrong and go full final destination on me.

@zaszthedestroyer reminds me that once someone took a chainsaw and was behind some plastic kind of curtain, people were sitting on the other side and he just sawed through the curtain between people. The blade was buzzing 10cm next my head. Then he was just laughing, "it was only joke". Yea, right. Some year later see him again in a train and got into some kind of argument with him and he punches my face twice and starts a fight with some other people he was insulting to me. Years later he axed someone's head, fortunately the victim didn't die.

I was afraid of dogs for a while after a neighbour's dog had bitten my leg when the dog thought I was stealing my own bicycle. Chased me some 50 meters while I was cycling away. Then even small dogs were scary. Eventually got rid of the dog fear with my brother's dog. She was always like: "You're not doing anything, how about you rub me?" poke poke, "Ok, rub me now!" Sometimes I had to take things in my hands to look like I was doing something.

I have a fear of wondering how the universe first happened, more the concept of the fact there was absolutely nothing prior to the big bang.

2 hours ago, Salahmander2 said:

I have a fear of wondering how the universe first happened, more the concept of the fact there was absolutely nothing prior to the big bang.

What if John Carmack retroactively created the universe by accident a few years from now, and the reason we can't bunnyhop or straferun is because these quirks weren't to his liking? I would be mad to be honest.

19 minutes ago, Kira said:

What if John Carmack retroactively created the universe by accident a few years from now, and the reason we can't bunnyhop or straferun is because these quirks weren't to his liking? I would be mad to be honest.

Now that you mention it, the creation of the universe within another isn't nearly as scary. I'd love for it to have been the case for our universe. I would be mad if I couldn't run faster in a diagonal manner. I'd be pissed as well.

I myself am not too partial to thorns, especially if the entire plant is basically one big prickly.

I feel that no matter how thick gloves I pack for those suckers, there might be that one little thorn that could embed itself into my hand(s).

Minecraft and Suicide Squidward (I really afraid it, because in this video Squidward has a red eyes which seem to look into my soul). 

Leaving the stove valves open and dying of gas poisoning in my sleep.  Every night I check them so I can sleep.

On 5/13/2019 at 7:10 PM, R4L said:

This ties in with my other fear: losing yourself.

This has kinda stayed in my mind for the last few days. Or rather, complete memory loss.

Going back to square one after losing all your memories is probably one of the worst things one could experience, it sounds terrifying. Because it probably is, a few years ago the father of a friend of mine had a serious bike accident and in consequence, he lost most if not all his memories. He's barely able to speak anymore as far as I'm aware as well...

On 5/31/2019 at 6:02 AM, DooM_RO said:

Leaving the stove valves open and dying of gas poisoning in my sleep.  Every night I check them so I can sleep.

close the gas at the mains valve. I do that at night.

On 5/31/2019 at 6:03 AM, seed said:

Going back to square one after losing all your memories is probably one of the worst things one could experience...

and retaining all the emotional burden: feeling the pain from some loss, feeling attached to people, PTSD from traumatic experiences or phobias and not knowing why

I am very much afraid of insects entering my ears while I sleep. I literally cannot go to bed without ear plugs, granted I enjoy the noise reduction it provides, but it also keeps my ears bug free!

22 minutes ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

I am very much afraid of insects entering my ears while I sleep. I literally cannot go to bed without ear plugs, granted I enjoy the noise reduction it provides, but it also keeps my ears bug free!

Had this happen to someone in my family not too long ago! Can't be too paranoid, it would seem.

When I was still a devout young Christian I used to compulsively check things 3, 7, sometimes 12 times, especially door locks. I assumed it would continue when I lost my faith but it didn't seem to, though I still like 7 because it's 'lucky'.

On 5/12/2019 at 7:01 PM, Grazza said:

I don't like driving at 77 mph.

Coincidentally, I often set my adaptive cruise control to this speed, i just like how the number looks, also because of the 'lucky' connotation as noted above.

On 6/3/2019 at 4:29 AM, DuckReconMajor said:

When I was still a devout young Christian I used to compulsively check things 3, 7, sometimes 12 times, especially door locks. I assumed it would continue when I lost my faith but it didn't seem to, though I still like 7 because it's 'lucky'.

Interesting how your faith was tied to something like this. I'm kinda interested to hear more.

Not much more to it really. While I was still religious, if something bad happened I just assume God is upset at me or something. I would tap or check something a "holy number" of times as a way of honoring God or whatnot.

I've read stuff about people who are compelled to tap on every wall they see x number of times or they think their family is going to die a terrible death. I just assumed it was some mild variation of that tied in with Protestant religious belief.

I'm still a neurotic person, and I still double-check things more than is necessary, but it's not like it was.