• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

frog_and_toad.wad [12 maps]

🐲

hey I beat map 2 on ITYTD
thanks for using my weird tunes again

How about Newt and Salamander? Sometimes having a tail helps hehe.

Edited by pcorf

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20190508_181343.png.13d1903c2c2e1fc5c5a2b4880f1fb2fa.png

Surprised I got this on UV for someone that doesn't normally play slaughtermaps, it was a cool map and i liked how many 'gimmicks' were used. i also got a fair bit of progress on MAP01 - if I end up beating that as well, I might give my thoughts on that. at the very least youve implored me to kinda delve deeper into this because I had a lot of fun playing what I have so far just going through the maps, despite how carnally evil some of them seem. Good stuff! :)

5 hours ago, bioshockfan90 said:

it was a cool map and i liked how many 'gimmicks' were used.

gimmickry is the lifeblood of this enterprise ;D. glad to see these maps acting as an unlikely ambassador into the realm of weird/hard doom content. As usual I'm basically just making the kind of stuff I like to play, and at the moment that means.. platforming, mostly.

Here's a random demo of m08, showcases some setups for a lot of the jumps, failing spectacularly at others: ft08_801_cl-1_longtics_rbk.lmp.zip

it would be nice if map10 had a teleporter at the beginning so you can get right to the action, instead of a mandatory 20 second stroll and lift sequence for every attempt. it's also surprising just how much harder these sort of things are when you are recording a demo / don't have the benefit of -longtics. changed my attitude of 10 from "well maybe i could do this if i spent a long time grinding away and the stars aligned" to "oh hell no."

Newbie with a dumb question here. I watched some vids of frog.wad & tried out "fine fetish film" as your work looked interesting to me...but does "puzzle" in most cases here mean "finding clever ways to get platoons of enemies to infight?" 

I may need some kind of primer of how puzzle maps are typically done in Doom?

Anyway, I like the feel & theming of your stuff at the least!

Wow! Thanks a ton for writing this up and giving this newbie some stuff to chew on! The idea of puzzles in Doom is interesting to me (like obscure switches & getting hopelessly lost in Hexen is a highlight of the game to me), but I'm not good enough with combat to weather many of these slaughter situations that sometimes come with them.

I've been looking through past Cacowards for out-of-the-box stuff and your name keeps popping up! So thanks again for taking the time to do this! I'll be sure to give your suggestions a go.

hey these are awesome, nice work! I'm rather late to figuring out that mouse-movement and automap-setups are really rad for precise platforming, and it definitely raised the ceiling on I consider to be doable in a single segment. Sorry about map09 though if you tried that one, those sr50s are finicky an unfun :p

17 hours ago, Touchdown said:

just had a crash course in demos. are you saying you have a more precise setup than wasd? i dont understand how you move about with such precision. my doom guy (the hero) has a lot of oomph to him and falls right off. Enjoyable and clean replays, btw. I just dont understand exactly what I was witnessing. I dont move anything like that in Crispy.

I mean, I started m3.. of sorts... and i walked the first few pillars, ran the next few, and strafe ran up to the seventh pillar. Am I just imprecise? I mean, I am imprecise, but I feel like I am missing something with the movement displayed here.

protips appreciated.

In my experiment, for example, I strafe ran and then did the opposite strafe-run while changing my view. So whereas the visual asserts that you gotta strafe run right-right; if you strafe run right, and then strafe run left but look 90* right, its a bit more manageable. Well, maybe not exactly 90*, but its pretty generous.

Anyhow, I have never had as much fun staring down 24 Hell Knights and 24 Commandos as I did in map 01. And I never realized Eternal Doom was the prime gameplay design, but its so true. Map 01 makes you want to run past everything.  I always felt like it was a guilty pleasure so your remarks help quite a bit in that direction, Ribbiks. Honestly, it reminds me of metal gear solid, but with former humans and revenants instead of genome soldiers.

I assume after dying to so many levels i might win at something XD

10 hours ago, Ribbiks said:

hey these are awesome, nice work! I'm rather late to figuring out that mouse-movement and automap-setups are really rad for precise platforming, and it definitely raised the ceiling on I consider to be doable in a single segment. Sorry about map09 though if you tried that one, those sr50s are finicky an unfun :p

Wait, are you saying there are multiple SR50s in Map09? I've done some testing there (with saving) and there's only one gap I couldn't cross without an SR50 (right after the first 'conveyor belt' walkway). I've actually found two ways to jump onto the final platform: one is to use the second conveyor + strafe run (really hard) and the second is to use the conveyor to run UP the smaller platforms on the left (hard but doable) and then just drop down with a regular strafe run.

I started worrying that I might have had the Permanent Strafe50 turned on by accident or something but that's not the case.

I thought about trying to do Map09 but during practice I just couldn't find the right setups for those two jumps. I mean, I can do them eventually but I don't feel like grinding for hours hoping that eventually stars align and everything goes well in a single segment. If there are reliable ways to do them then I haven't discovered them yet.

Overally I really like those platforming levels though, it's a nice and unusual challenge. I would be up for more if you ever make any but to be quite honest some of the jumps are just mean. I really like those areas where something looks really difficult but it's actually fairly straightforward - those jumps are fun and satisfying. But then some of them require such precision that a light misclick can ruin the whole run. I guess that's fine to some degree but still.

The main problem with platforming levels is that you don't have the "medikits" - in a regular level you can make a mistake and redeem yourself by healing. During platforming if you screw up it's either reload and restart. I mean, even a teleporter at the bottom would be nice. Maybe teleporters that open up after reaching a certain threshold so that you don't have to redo everything? You could probably even have them unlock exclusively on lower difficulty levels and only require a perfect run for UV.

5 hours ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

protips appreciated.

I would say it's mostly trial&error to discover proper ways of doing things. It took me hours to figure out how to position myself and how to do jumps in various cases. But I can share some experiences from doing Map10.

a) I liberally use run on/off button for positioning (you can see that I'm NOT doing it in the first two levels, hence why they feel a lot more sloppy).

b) I also use heavily zoomed in Automap because it's downright impossible to determine where you are on the platform without a freelook. I'd say at least 60-70% of Map10 was done in Automap - you can't see it in a demo but everytime I'm just slightly 'dancing' on the pillar I'm probably doing so in an Automap. FUNFACT: both final platforming sections with tiny pillars were done entirely on the Automap.

c) In most cases I want to make sure I'm at least in the middle of a platform before jumping to make sure there's a bit of space to gain velocity.

d) However some gaps are so insidious that I literally get to the very edge on the opposite side before jumping (you can see it as early as the gap between the fourth and fifth pillar in Map10, turn the Automap to see what I mean).

e) You've got to get really good at stopping after doing a jump. No real trick to that, just gotta get a feel for that.

f) It's also very useful to learn to tap the forward/backward key, pressing it as little as possible. Press it for a bit too long and you'll fall.

g) One thing I had to learn and didn't know about was what I call a 'perfect strafe run' (don't know if there's an official term for that). An 'imperfect strafe run' is when you just hold forward+strafe - you might press either of them slightly earlier, doesn't matter. A 'perfect strafe run' is when you press both buttons at the EXACT same time - you get the most speed out of this. You can tell that you're doing it right when you start moving at the precise angle without veering to the side. Refer to jumps at 00:20 and 00:50 in Map10 to see that - I couldn't do those by just casually straferunning, I had to smash both buttons at the exact same moment.

h) You need to be able to tell where you'll go before you start moving. The angle for straferunning is actually quite steep. Some of the later jumps in Map10 require a very precise positioning and there's little room for error. There's not enough time to fix your position if you got it wrong initially.

i) Don't rush.

j) I'm not sure how much that affects anything but I recorded those with shorttics - basically my mouse movement is not perfectly smooth. That can actually help getting the right angle sometimes. Or maybe I'm just seeing things at this point.

I beat level 1 (note that it is Tool-Assisted). My question is do you think I should dispute the copyright claim? I'm sort of reluctant in doing it because I don't want to risk getting a copyright strike on YouTube. Note that the claim was automated and I hear that the system does not know the difference between in-game music and someone uploading the soundtrack. Edit: I deleted the video. New version of the run will be up soon (same as the old demo but with no music).

Copyright notice.png

Edited by mArt1And00m3r11339

@mArt1And00m3r11339 If you want to be on the safe side, upload it with -nomusic or using a music wad above it. Ruins the mood when the music was fitting but oh well...

4 minutes ago, Kira said:

@mArt1And00m3r11339 If you want to be on the safe side, upload it with -nomusic or using a music wad above it. Ruins the mood when the music was fitting but oh well...

As I told Zachary (Ribbiks), the copyright laws in the United States are outdated and that without the Content ID system, YouTube could not exist because of lawsuits from the movie and the recording industry. Now that Article 13 is moving forward, more videos on YouTube are going to get hit with copyright claims. 

10 hours ago, Touchdown said:

I can do them eventually but I don't feel like grinding for hours hoping that eventually stars align and everything goes well in a single segment. If there are reliable ways to do them then I haven't discovered them yet.

I have some ok setups but still can't do them with 100% consistency, they seem really sensitive to sr50 ingredient timing (hitting all 4 keys within the same tic, or having the pattern of key hits be the same each time).

10 hours ago, Touchdown said:

Overally I really like those platforming levels though, it's a nice and unusual challenge. I would be up for more if you ever make any but to be quite honest some of the jumps are just mean. I really like those areas where something looks really difficult but it's actually fairly straightforward - those jumps are fun and satisfying. But then some of them require such precision that a light misclick can ruin the whole run. I guess that's fine to some degree but still.

The main problem with platforming levels is that you don't have the "medikits" - in a regular level you can make a mistake and redeem yourself by healing. During platforming if you screw up it's either reload and restart. I mean, even a teleporter at the bottom would be nice. Maybe teleporters that open up after reaching a certain threshold so that you don't have to redo everything? You could probably even have them unlock exclusively on lower difficulty levels and only require a perfect run for UV.

Oh yeah I agree. A majority of the platforming here is rather rote, very execution-focused. the offputtingness felt justifiable given the nature of the wad (read: partially acting as a quarantine of things I wanted to make but would've soured an otherwise polished/"professional" mapset), but it's certainly not an effective way of proselytizing the subgenre. For better or worse I do have more platforming-related projects en route, where I will be more thoughtful about these things :)

@mArt1And00m3r11339, the claim is accurately identifying the song. But what's really impressive to me is that the algorithm successfully detected not the audio of the actual track, but a midi playback with both your soundfont and mine. that's amazing/horrifying/probably-leads-to-annoying-false-positives-for-a-lot-of-people...

As a side note, about time I shouted out The Rippingtons and their rad catalogue of high-energy-but-somehow-completely-milquetoast jazz tracks that have been powering the frog/toad/frogtoad cinematic universe. E.g: 1 2 3 4

5 minutes ago, Ribbiks said:

@mArt1And00m3r11339, the claim is accurately identifying the song. But what's really impressive to me is that the algorithm successfully detected not the audio of the actual track, but a midi playback with both your soundfont and mine. that's amazing/horrifying/probably-leads-to-annoying-false-positives-for-a-lot-of-people...

As a side note, about time I shouted out The Rippingtons and their rad catalogue of high-energy-but-somehow-completely-milquetoast jazz tracks that have been powering the frog/toad/frogtoad cinematic universe. E.g: 1 2 3 4

The issue is that remixes of music (including rearranged soundtracks) fall under derivative work which is not protected under Fair Use.

I beat level 2 (note that it is a tool-assisted demo). Just like level 1, I turned off the music to avoid copyright claims. It turns out that OBS isn't the best option for me.

Edited by mArt1And00m3r11339

20 minutes ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

What's it supposed to be called then?

looks at the title of the thread in total confusion