Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neurosis

What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

54 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

It is a great game though imo. I'd definitely recommend it if you like Duke 3D or Shadow Warrior, or any Build engine/90's FPS games for that matter. So far i'm finding the gameplay to be more balanced than Shadow Warrior as i think that game is a little too unbalanced in difficulty imo.

It's the only one of the big three Build engine games that I like (This could be a footnote: I also like Ion Maiden, but that's a different beast). I also like Shadow Warrior's atmosphere, but it has too many annoying enemies and player weapons.

IMO Blood's biggest problems are the instakill doors.

---

I have not tried the new closed source engine, because 1. it does not run natively on Linux (Linux version was promised, but it's Nightdive so it might not appear at all like System Shock EE SPU or Turok 2 which is still not on GOG) and 2. I want all that annoyances that was shown in the comparison video fixed (and it's Nightdive, so even if it is fixed on Steam, the fix might not arrive on GOG).

3 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

Now i've just been playing the newly released Blood: Fresh Supply, as i'm sure most people here have. Seems great so far, besides a few bugs/issues. I actually did install NBlood and compare the two and while i think that NBlood plays a tiny bit smoother for me personally, i really have no issues running Nightdive's version either, once everything is set up that is. But of course i'm not a hardcore Blood fan (yet) so i can't "truly" compare the two versions i guess. This is coming from a newbies perspective.

It is a great game though imo. I'd definitely recommend it if you like Duke 3D or Shadow Warrior, or any Build engine/90's FPS games for that matter. So far i'm finding the gameplay to be more balanced than Shadow Warrior as i think that game is a little too unbalanced in difficulty imo.

I've only played Blood through DOSBox before (NBlood had some silly issues when it first came out, so I let it become more mature before giving it a go. And BloodGDX uses the Java cancer... ).

I definitely like Nightdive's port, but it does need more polish, after that, it'll be brilliant. I don't think there's any point in comparing it with NBlood and GDX since it just doesn't use the same engine. It's hard to make it as accurate as those, especially when it comes to tricks and that sort of thing, even getting it where it currently is must have been a lot of work. I might be an "accuracy whore", to a certain extent, when it comes to Doom, but this is going to be an exception. Just more polish and bugfixes, then it's perfect. Hope performance will be one of the first things that improve. It runs well enough, but there's some hitching going on for me. I initially thought that was due to vsync but even with it turned off, it's still there. Nothing major since it happens only once in a while.

Shadow Warrior is underrated imo. Yeah, it has some cunty enemies (Shadow Ninjas), but apart from that it's good fun. The gunplay is solid too. Sometimes I feel that perhaps the reason why Duke is much more popular than all 4 games (apart from being the first and having its source code released, which SW also had) is probably because it was the one that was best balanced. Yeah it has some shitty enemies like the Sentry Drone, but otherwise, I don't see it having bigger assholes than the Cultists or Shadow Ninjas.

Golden Souls 2 was awesome.  I finished with 100% completion and it's clear that there was a ton of effort and passion put into this, so thank you to the creators.  It was a joy to play and quite a nostalgic trip, given everything it was influenced by.

6 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

Oddly enough i never did beat Half-Life on PC. I beat the first one on Dreamcast, using the controller.

Wasn't the Dreamcast port cancelled?

53 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Wasn't the Dreamcast port cancelled?

It was but the game was pretty much done from what i remember. There were even early review copies sent out to publications and what not, so it leaked after it was canceled i believe. The scene release groups got a hold of it and fixed it up a bit (mainly the loading times i think) and the rest is history.

The game was so close to release before being cancelled that Prima even had a strategy guide printed up and it was basically ready to be shipped.

Project Warlock

Blood

Hotline Miami

Okami

Daikatana 

And some random ones from time to time 

Did I say Doom 24/7?

Picked Hollow Knight back up after playing it for maybe five hours back in October before life stresses basically made me sour on games for a few weeks. Loving the art style, though the difficulty at times can fuck off and die. I played enough controller-throwing games back in the NES days, I just want to relax damn it.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance my second play through.

I really appreciate this game, it's the best kickstarter game I backed. It's way less buggy now too.

Edited by Chezza

I've bought the entire Devil May Cry series and I love everything about it unironically, I've got all the way up to 4 (beat it with Nero, Dante and Vergil now I'm on Lady and Trish).

Spoiler

Might be kinda gay for Vergil, not really but really.

Spellforce 3. It's surprisingly good, and despite being full of cliche's in and of itself, feels like a surprisingly fresh RPG, thanks to the hybrid game play. Would highly recommend it for anyone that likes RPG/ RTS games. 

Been playing Ark Survival Evolved with friends on a modded server.
This is one of those games that is an optimized nightmare that for some reason I put up with the crashing, bugs, and glitches and I still don't know why.

- Postal 2 (via Steam)

- The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection (via Origin)

- Blood: Fresh Supply (via GOG)

I've played through the Postal Fudge Pack years ago but i don't have it anymore (it wasn't mine anyways, it was a buddies) so i'm playing through Postal 2 and it's expansion on Steam. I've had it for a few years but i've never gotten around to playing it.

When i'm not feeling good yet i still want to play a game that doesn't take much skill (since i'm usually sitting at my PC anyways), i've decided to mess around with The Sims 2 which i've only ever really played on consoles.

I'm still sort of playing through Blood: Fresh Supply. It's a lot better now that it's been patched imo.

Playing Sam & Max Hit the Road with MT32 music, I really like the music which plays on the world map.

On 5/20/2019 at 11:45 AM, Avoozl said:

Playing Sam & Max Hit the Road with MT32 music, I really like the music which plays on the world map.

My favourite point & click adventure game. Also, one of the very few that I was able to get through without resorting to a walkthrough. It's a masterpiece. Shortly after I finished it I read every official Sam & Max comic that was ever published. 

Super Aleste. Definitely better than Blazing Lazers, which didn't impress me very much. I dig the jazzy music, and the difficulty is very well balanced. On the downside, some of the weapons kind of suck, and the sound effects are kinda crap. I really like this game, but I don't like it as much as several other SNES shooters.

Edited by Ajora

Gunlord X. Yup, that awesome hipster Neo Geo/Dreamcast homebrew Turrican knockoff has finally been ported to a system people actually own ie the Switch in an upgraded and extended form.

It's £9. Considering I paid £45 for my Dreamcast copy with less content and shittier controls, YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE.

So i've stalled on Blood: Fresh Supply for now. I recently bought the Carmageddon games on Steam since they were on sale and i'm playing Carmageddon: Max Damage. It's actually pretty fun and i can finally use a controller too in a Carmageddon game.

I've played the original Carmageddon (technically the Max Pack) before on my old laptop and while it was fun the controls were awkward for me since its keyboard only. But i'll replay it again along with Carma 2 and 3 after i finish the new one. I'll just have to get used to the controls again and enable the NGlide wrapper for smoother graphics.

I'm still playing Postal 2 as well. Kinda stalled for a bit, but i'm back at it. I'm on Wednesday and i'm just playing on the Average difficulty so it's not hard at all. It's a nice, fun casual playthrough.

Obviously i'll still play some Doom PWAD's once in a while as well. Hopefully i can check out Sigil on Friday (May 31st) when that releases.

I just haven't been playing that many games lately due to irl health issues so i'm sure that all of these games might take me quite a while to finish. At least i can still enjoy some gaming once in a while though ;)

Just played through Tyrian in one sitting. Played it with OpenTyrian. Started with the usual pulse cannon + sonic wave. Took microsol frontblaster as a sidekick, but this combination wasn't good enough against the first boss, maybe should have taken plasma storm. Kept the sonic wave through the entire game. Changed pulse cannon to heavy missile launcher, then for a moment to zica laser and finally to the laser, which seems to be better than the lightning cannon while being cheaper. For sidekicks I had plasma storm and battleship class firebomb. Most of the game I had the flare special weapon, until I got the laser special weapon from the ice secret level. Kinda difficult to see when it's no longer firing when the main weapon is also laser.

On 5/30/2019 at 8:01 AM, CyberDreams said:

I recently bought the Carmageddon games on Steam since they were on sale and i'm playing Carmageddon: Max Damage. It's actually pretty fun and i can finally use a controller too in a Carmageddon game.

I've played the original Carmageddon (technically the Max Pack) before on my old laptop and while it was fun the controls were awkward for me since its keyboard only. But i'll replay it again along with Carma 2 and 3 after i finish the new one. I'll just have to get used to the controls again and enable the NGlide wrapper for smoother graphics.

I'm still playing Postal 2 as well. Kinda stalled for a bit, but i'm back at it. I'm on Wednesday and i'm just playing on the Average difficulty so it's not hard at all. It's a nice, fun casual playthrough.

I'm the resident Carma fanboy around here (to my knowledge anyhow) and I would recommend for the original game the Unofficial Max Pack 95 Restoration Project Pack (yes it's a mouthful) for superior performance since the DOS and 3DFX versions run like garbage, more-so on certain levels than others. It's kinda annoying to setup, but it's essentially the best way to go back to the first. There's also the Meld Pack which combines the Splat Pack with the original into one huge game.

Carma 2 and TDR are definitely more out-of-the-box, though I recall you needing to disable mipmapping on the latter so the game won't crash on the second race (strange bug) otherwise it's mostly stable. The new game is decent, but not perfect by any means. None of the Carmas are really, but the original is my favorite, and I personally think TDR is alright, many don't like it though. Carma 2 and TDR also introduce missions and player wastage, both controversial additions, but the latter is far worse since you can't predict your demise in such a chaotic game as Carma.

Postal 2's Manic difficulty is as high as you can go without gimmicks being introduced, it's just higher damage output from enemies. Hestonworld makes everyone carry, but they only attack if provoked, this is a good way to rack up ammo for the less common guns however like the GLOCK and MP5, beating this mode also unlocks the holidays menu option where you can turn on holiday restricted content any time as well as a nighttime mode. I actually beat POSTAL mode once, but not Impossible because it has no achievement attached to it, and I'm not sure what it changes, but the the former makes P2 act more like the original game where everyone wants you dead, but you can't store inventory items (outside of the chompy mini-game) and are limited to one user save per area, but it's not as difficult as people make it out to be IMO. Then again, I'm also possibly the resident Postal superfan so...

I got an Xbox 360 controller working on the Steam Carmageddon Max Pack release just through setting bindings and tweaking sensitivities. I think it didn't handle some of the buttons, but the analogue stick and A, B, X and Y buttons definitelyworksed, as did something on the shoulders. The bindings interface thought I was using two joysticks, as I remember it. I seem to remember the Splat Pack being harder to get going than the main game due to something graphical, though.

The base game is way better, anyway, with less awkward stringy layouts and abstract settings. I'd argue that Max Damage is slightly better than the original, but I enjoyed them both thoroughly. Particularly the lengthy exploration that killing all of the zombies turned into on such expensive maps.

Anyway, I've been absent for a while, and have played many games in the interim. Last night I finally beat the base Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 scenarios fully, which felt like a milestone in life. Just 12 more expert parks and I've beaten the whole Triple Thrill Pack. I'm also two episodes into Blood: Fresh Supply, playing with a custom difficulty to have lots of enemies, but without them being bullet sponges or the cultists being overwhelmingly lethal. I'm having a good time, but can't shake the feeling that I prefer Duke 3D.

8 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

I'm the resident Carma fanboy around here (to my knowledge anyhow) and I would recommend for the original game the Unofficial Max Pack 95 Restoration Project Pack (yes it's a mouthful) for superior performance since the DOS and 3DFX versions run like garbage, more-so on certain levels than others. It's kinda annoying to setup, but it's essentially the best way to go back to the first. There's also the Meld Pack which combines the Splat Pack with the original into one huge game.

Carma 2 and TDR are definitely more out-of-the-box, though I recall you needing to disable mipmapping on the latter so the game won't crash on the second race (strange bug) otherwise it's mostly stable. The new game is decent, but not perfect by any means. None of the Carmas are really, but the original is my favorite, and I personally think TDR is alright, many don't like it though. Carma 2 and TDR also introduce missions and player wastage, both controversial additions, but the latter is far worse since you can't predict your demise in such a chaotic game as Carma.

Postal 2's Manic difficulty is as high as you can go without gimmicks being introduced, it's just higher damage output from enemies. Hestonworld makes everyone carry, but they only attack if provoked, this is a good way to rack up ammo for the less common guns however like the GLOCK and MP5, beating this mode also unlocks the holidays menu option where you can turn on holiday restricted content any time as well as a nighttime mode. I actually beat POSTAL mode once, but not Impossible because it has no achievement attached to it, and I'm not sure what it changes, but the the former makes P2 act more like the original game where everyone wants you dead, but you can't store inventory items (outside of the chompy mini-game) and are limited to one user save per area, but it's not as difficult as people make it out to be IMO. Then again, I'm also possibly the resident Postal superfan so...

Thanks for the info! I quickly tested Carma Max Pack yesterday (the 3DFX version) and i noticed how poorly it ran. I was getting around 30fps during gameplay and even lower during cutscenes/in the menu according to Steams FPS counter. The controls weren't actually too bad, i just kept on hitting 5 instead of 2 to reverse/brake on the keypad haha! I read up on the carma key binder but i just hate installing more shit just to play one game (i may do it though) although i will probably install that Restoration Project Pack as this game really does run poorly.

Also i don't mind Max Damage so far (the new game), i just hate doing races and more missions in between the regular derby style matches. It's really annoying to me. Some aren't too bad though and you can get away with destroying the vehicles and stealing points still to win instead, which is nice. I hate having to find upgrade coins though. I don't remember that in Carma 1. Luckily some aren't too hard to find. Overall the game runs okay on my PC. I heard that Re-incarnation ran a lot worse.

I remember beating Postal 2 via the Fudge Pack around 2012 or so and i enjoyed it. I wish i would of kept that copy my old buddy lent me lol. I'm just too thorough when i play Postal 2 though. I could beat it on a higher difficulty if i just did the tasks, but i always like to search around for the weapons and what not (especially since i always forget what shows up on what day). Definitely a fun game though, despite the few crashes i've had. I've been wondering if i should turn up the Pedestrians since i only have them at the stock 15 limit. It seems to crash more the higher i set it so i didn't bother. I remember the fudge pack crashing a lot more then the Steam version does so at least this one is more stable.

1 hour ago, Phobus said:

I got an Xbox 360 controller working on the Steam Carmageddon Max Pack release just through setting bindings and tweaking sensitivities. I think it didn't handle some of the buttons, but the analogue stick and A, B, X and Y buttons definitelyworksed, as did something on the shoulders. The bindings interface thought I was using two joysticks, as I remember it. I seem to remember the Splat Pack being harder to get going than the main game due to something graphical, though.

I did read about doing that but it seems like more of a pain then anything. These games could definitely use a good source port, if anything just to make them have more modern controls as i think they look alright still. I don't think the source code was ever released though and now that THQ Nordic owns the Carma series, i doubt that it will ever be released.

Playing Star Wars Galaxies Legends, I've finally started to warm up to this game.

MP: mainly Blood Fresh Supply BloodBath and co-op and GRIP if there are other players online when I look.

Single player: I just started replaying the glorious Interstate 76 and I also finally started Shadowrun Hong Kong. Finished Sigil on HMP a few days ago so I'll probably replay it on UV soon.

Edited by Slipgate Tourist

13 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Another old Carma fan here. Can confirm that RPP is the way to go. I would recommend checking the ddraw.ini before playing because when I last installed RPP it defaulted to windowed mode for some reason, you can also change the renderer and some other settings in case you want to. I always preferred the pixelated software look over the vaseline glide version but that's down to personal taste, of course. I don't use Meld because I'm not crazy about many of the Splat Pack tracks.

I often play Carma RPP over a LAN with visiting friends. This works great, sadly playing online using a virtual LAN was pretty unstable.

9357FAA591C3B1E4B63E4575A170223260D6BA7C

All these screenshots are taken with the RPP installed, as you can see the Steam Overlay works fine.

This infographic can be helpful for new Carma players:

Spoiler

MCavsc0.jpg

Edited by Slipgate Tourist

Finished my first play of Golden Sun that I started over a year ago before I bought a PS4 and began hitting up all of the exclusives like Bloodborne, Last of Us, Persona 5, Yakuza 0 etc.  Funny, I told coworkers on Friday that I wasn't sure how far I was into Golden Sun, not realizing I was in the final dungeon and about to fight the last boss.  It didn't feel like a traditional JRPG ending but more of an end to a first chapter, meant to be continued in the sequels, but it was a good game overall and I may check those out eventually.

I started up Earthbound Beginnings on a whim.  I'm enjoying it for the most part, since I'm seeing a lot of familiar things that made it into Earthbound in some form like the music, certain gameplay devices and locations.  It's much more of an experience grind, like comparing Final Fantasy 1 to Final Fantasy 6, and the encounter rate can be pretty obnoxious at times.  I can sprint for 10-15 seconds and not hit a battle or I can take 3 steps and hit 3 battles depending on how the game is feeling.  I also had the fun of getting hit by a status ailment deep in a dungeon that renders the character useless and required running back to the healer two towns over to remove... I was tempted to just let the enemies finish me off just to get a trip back to town at the cost of money.  I can't hold too much against it since it was an NES game that never got released stateside when it was new and a lot of those hiccups got ironed out in a sequel.  Sometimes it's best to try and view these games through the lens of that time period.

Edited by Vile

Grid 2. (i'm well into WSR season 4 and i'm finally getting my hands on some lightweight cars like the Ariel Atom, a Caterham model that i don't remember right now, and the BAC Mono)