Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Doom Turns Nine

Cyb said:

Feel free to post comments such as your first time playing Doom, fondest memories, the times it scared the crap out of you and the like.

I first came upon shareware Doom in an odd way, some time in early 1994. Someone in the office wanted some hard disk space cleared on a computer they had inherited, and asked me (as the office's so-called computer expert - thank God I don't work in an office any more) to assist. I backed things up before removing them - one of these was something odd called Doom. I asked a friend about it, and he told me it was a very good game that started off with you holding a gun and then got increasingly violent. "A bit like Wolfenstein, then?" "Yes, I think it's by the same company". I found it very hard to begin with, but liked it. However, it wasn't until Doom 2 that I got seriously into Doom.

Scariest moment: in an early level of Icarus, when I thought I'd cleared an area and my health was very low, finding an imp appear right in front of me in an area where there were branches/leaves/whatever obscuring the view.
Moment when I came closest to injuring myself: Map08 of HR2: my bad habit of ducking/fliching when a rocket/fireball approaches nearly caused me to dislocate my neck when about 10 projectiles hit me at once from all sides.
Fondest memories: Dunno, so many. I suppose when I've managed to beat tough megawads or single maps I've been trying to beat on and off over the years (e.g. Rigel1.wad and Mines.wad).

The first time i played Doom it on a pc of a friend of mine,he told me he had a cool demo and i asked him if he would let me play it,and than it happened,what a game,the evil in it,the demons and the sickening levels,really blew me away.A few months later i bought Doom on the Super nintendo entertainmend system,i took me al long time to finish Doom and i still play on my Snes these days and u can all guess what game.

Welp', I've been playing doom the majority of my life, and It's still the same, lovable, wonderful game it was when I first played doom in 1993

Ah, Doom. I remember playing it as a wee lad. My father had received a couple pirated games in 1994, specifically Wolf3D, Commander Keen, and Doom. We installed them and I enjoyed playing Keen for hours, while me pappy tried out Wolf and Doom. He played a little Wolf, then stayed up all night playing Doom. The next day, I fired up Doom and was hooked from then on, though it seemed E1M3 was just out of my reach even on ITYTD. When my father brought in the official Doom2 disc from his work, I leapt on it like a weasel on meat and enjoyed filling my young brain with pixelated blood all night and day. Just recently, I registered onto these boards to enhance my doomy knowledge after recently finding my old Doom2 disc, and luckily I'm better now than before. Now, Doom95 remains the most frequently used program on my computer!

Scariest moment: I finally learned the level skip cheat for Doom2 and was willing to use it to it's fullest, so I plugged in IDCLEV... paused... then 30. When I stepped through the teleporter and saw Baphomet for the first time, I stood in awe and fear as the skull boxes landed left and right. I soon died, and I died scared!
Fondest memory: When I recently(1998) aquired Ultimate Doom from a friend, I played through on UV for the first time(too scared when I was a youngun) and wound up with just a chainsaw left to defend myself. I slayed two cacos and went off to pick up a megaarmor in an ominously large room when the wall came down and it was filled with Pinkies. I killed them all with the chainsaw and didn't die, which was a wonder for me. It was (and still is) the most kills I'd gotten with a chainsaw in a single level without dying.
Most social Doom moment: When I registered onto these boards! I hope to post here like thunder until I no longer recall what Doom is. Maybe I'll post a fanfic soon... a birthday present for the doom community.

Kyah!

mewse said:

i'll drink to that :)

No thanks, last time I dranke C0ff33 I hallucinated that Bush was president. Oh, shit, I don't think it wore off yet! :P Besides, I spiked teh eggnog; join teh partaye (Mac gotta stay away from the nog. ;P )

Afterglow said:

Since when do you need special occasions as an excuse to drink?

ohhh burn, i'll drink to that.

myk said:

Enjay, do you know how to make 1.1 run properly (i.e., not crash at startup) on Windows 98 or its DOS?

No, 'fraid not. Tried it once, didn't work. I've got it installed on an old machine (my 486 66 that I bought as a kick ass Doom machine back in the day :-)), but that is in the attic and hasn't even been switched on for a while.

As far as early doom memories go, one of my fondest was being lucky enough to have access to an IPX network and 3 like minded friends to DM and CO-OP through Ep1 with. It was totally mind blowing to realise that the little green/grey/red/brown marine running around on your monitor was ACTUALLY the guy on the next desk, or in the next room. Totally stunning, unlike any gaming experience before it. I remember actually screaming and shouting with amazement at the monitor the first few times I played.

...and the solid feeling real world

...and the way the player view swayed

...and the fact there were steps and lifts

...and the breathing sounds of the zombies

...and the exploding barrels

...and the music

...and the monsters

...and the chainsaw - THE CHAINSAW!!!!1111

...and the nights I drifted off to sleep with the hypnotic "chopping" action of the shotgun repeating over and over in my head. Still the most satisfying shotty in any game as far as I am concerned. Sure others do more damage, and may be more useful, but the Doom shotty has (as the French would say) a certain "I don't know what".

...and...

...and...

...and...

Birfday, birfday. T'day's yer 9th birfday. Uh, ... Doom. Hee hee. Wondorus stuff. Must...drink...more...egg.nuuuhhhghh. HURK> Damn, who woulda thought too much of a good thing was bad foryou. :P I'm for teh moment.

it'd be a better game if it didn't inspire people like the Columbine killers

/me removes tongue from cheek

Some of the things in Enjay's post reminded me of something. Doom was, in many ways, a game I had wanted for more than a decade to exist. It started with the arcade game Battlezone, with its amazing (at the time) vector graphics and unique (at the time) first-person perspective. You drove around in a big open space shooting stuff, being attacked by missiles and so on... If only it looked more life-like...

Then on my home computer (a Sharp MZ-80K ... yeah, laugh, OK; check out an emulator if you dare) a new game appeared in which you ran around in a 3D maze (again with vector graphics) shooting at a variety of monsters, which fired at you in some manner or else just came up to you and damaged you somehow. Wow, that game was amazing... but black and white, and with crappy sound and graphics.

So, when Wolf3D and Doom came out, while it was something I hadn't actually seen before, it was like something I had imagined many times over many years - but now fully formed and real.

Happy ninth and all that shit. It's funny, I still haven't played through either DOOM or DOOM2 once yet. Sometimes I think this might be the reason I do not feel like part of the DOOM community. Or maybe it's just that depressing thing called change of roster, where all the old people start to disappear and you're left with all these n00bs. It reminds me of that part in Charlotte's Web at the end where Charlotte died at the fair and out of her sac that she kept for months came hundreds of these n00b spiders.

I remember when I used to be just yer average six-year-old asshat New Zealand kid. Because of some social cognitive deficit I had, I was unable to make friends or even understand why I was unable to, and because of my behaviour I was sent home literally every second day, and I would have damaged at least one person. When I got my first computer, a 50mHz 486 with 8mb RAM, it became my friend. It consumed all my time. Now because my mum had to look after me pretty much all the time, she never actually had the time to go looking for a computer so she got it from one of her friends who worked for Fujitsu. He set it all up and put these two DOS games called Wacky Wheels and DOOM and some other lame 3.1 game called SkiFree. So I clocked the shareware version (I found out it was v0.99 later) of DOOM about 20 times and eventually got bored of it. This old 486 was really just a business computer, it had nothing - no CD-ROM drive, no sound card, no modem, shit all memory and (ghey,) 165mb disk space. So, I managed to bumble through primary school until early November 1999 (now ten years old) when I got this pentium 3 500mHz 17gb HD and 128mb RAM, hurrah! I had access to this virtual world everyone had been talking about, called the Internet. As with most n00bs to the internet (and even to a computer), I started off with a learning spurt, learning how to use E-mail, maintaining the operating system, making a website and all that jazz, then slowed down. After Napster died, I moved to Morpheus and managed to find with great glee, all four DOOM IWADs and this is where the adventure started. I used to regularly read and post crap in the alt.games.doom newsgroup. Someone was asking where to find some WAD or mod, someone replied with the address doomworld.com - how I found this place. Someone was asking why the mouse wouldn't work in DOOM'95 - someone replied with 'try ZDOOM' - I found my first source port. On the old mostly long-gone doomworld forums I saw references to a channel on IRC where everyone would hang out - now I knew what IRC was but I just didn't know where this IRC channel was. I eventually found in the doomworld side bar a jIRC page that would connect to this doom IRC channel, and finally found it was on OpenProjects. And that's pretty much how I became part of the DOOM community. For the last year and a half I've pretty much kept everything the same - think the only major change was moving my site over to slipgate.org, something I never ever regret.

So anyhow, I'm celebrating DOOM's ninth birthday by stimulating myself thinking about what Britney Spears would look like after a nice dosage of magic mushrooms, and writing a remix of a DOOM2 song, which I will leave you all to guess which one.

/me light the nine candles on DooM´s demon meat cake.
/me clap hands and sing:

"Happy birthday to DooM, happy birthday to DooM..." and so on...

Goddamnit Scrag, now I'M starting to reminisce about DOOM as well. :) Maybe I'll post the rest of my reminiscences on my site one day...

I know this is one day late, but happy birthday anyway, Doom.

Long live Doom! With ZDoom.

And I'll add this: Cyb imee persettä ja on täysi PASKA :D (no sarcasm, I really mean it). Thank you.

O man, a game that changed by life and spurned my way of thinking, i first played Doom on a mates PC in 1996 ithink it was (missed out on it). I didnt own a PC until 3 years ago when I was 16 (im 19 now). When I first played on doom, I already heard of it but never seen it, i remeber my mate (named 'Dimp') tapping in all the cheats for happy ammo, which i didnt know what was happening. I remember favouring the rocket launcher, and remmeber thinking it was some kind of fireball gun (didnt realise it was explosive rockets). Some reason, I remember (inaccuratley i realise now) that all the music was the same on each level. Thats just clouded memories. I remeber falling in love with the game with much excitement. The first 3d game i have ever played, I never heard of ID software or wolf3d before 3 years ago! What stuck in my head was shooting these soldiers in a blue cubical thing, with a sickening atmosphere. in 1998, i rented Doom alot on the SNES from the video store (doubled as a hairdressers :P)
It was the best game I ever rented. The solid comfortable world, convincingly unique, the atmosphere, the excellent music O MAN!!!
I soon became a skilled hardcore doomer on the snes, and a doom expert. I knew every level, and every level's stats, how much of each item in each level, all secrets, how much of each ammo to kill each enemy everything.

When I got my first PC for christmas 3 years ago, I got Ult doom, Doom2 and final doom with it. Excellent. What an atmosphere I felt even when before I installed them for first time. Absolute magic.
Doom inspired me artistically, and as far as Im concerned (even though already done), I invented the idea for editing the levels, and thought - It must be done with the automap somehow, in a program. Take into account I had no experience with editing maps or 3d concepts at all, I was astounded when it turns out it was done for years. Im now a games developer and 3d modeller, programmer and develop my own titles using 3d engine technology and run a development company MAMTECH, and it's Doom that inspired this.

Happy birthday doom, you rock. Doom reeks of awesomeness.
Heretic very happy.

And I'll add this: Cyb imee persettä ja on täysi PASKA :D (no sarcasm, I really mean it). Thank you.

Eh?

Cyb, BuckaZoid is a hot finnish chick and a fan of yours.

DooM is 9! Yay! Happy B-Day, to You DooM, Koolest game ever! Respect goes to id Software. Ok, gotta go now, keep on DooMing!!

ATAS said:

DooM is 9! Yay! Happy B-Day, to You DooM, Koolest game ever! Respect goes to id Software. Ok, gotta go now, keep on DooMing!!

We will. Heh, I still have a printout of "The Night Before Doom" on my wall from years ago written by Hank Leukart (some doomer I dont know) The printout is stuck to my Doom shrine wall, amongst the big mural of Doom artwork and printouts from over the years. I have DOOM on my ceiling, cybers and cacos on the walls, and printouts of all other monsters around a large doom2 centre piece.

Im obsessed muuuch?
moosp.:)

I never got to play Doom until at least a few years after it was out because, well, we had a crappy computer, I was really young and had no money, and there was no way in hell I was going to ask my conservative, anti-technology mother if I could have a game like Doom. The extent of my entertainment was Ski Free, Chip's Challenge and Solitaire.

But kids at school were always talking about Doom. How great it was. How there were invisible enemies in it. Later on Duke Nukem came out and that was the big thing, but that isn't the issue here. I would listen in quiet awe to the things people said about these games where you did unheard of, magical things like wield a rocket-launcher and blow up lizards. These were all spoiled kids who got everything they wanted, saw every movie the day it came out, and bragged about their super-duper cool watches that you could play Qbert on. They picked on me for not being as cool as they were, but I went along with it.

So finally we got a new computer like 6 years ago, I played Wolfenstein which was okay, and then Doom. It did blow me away, but not in the way everyone thinks. There is this feelings I get every time I play the first level of the first episode of Doom. It's not as strong as when first I played it, but I still feel it and the feelings from back then hit me in waves. Anyone know the feeling? That arcadish feeling of "coooool" as you listened to the music and admired the beautiful levels. I remember how I cheered the first time I discovered my first secret and was rewarded a Soul Sphere and a Chaingun. "I felt like God must feel, when he holds a gun."

To tell you the truth, I actually never figured out how to get out of the first room in Doom until a, say, two years after I played it. I didn't know you had to hit the spacebar to open the door. I thought the demo just let you see the first room. Later I discovered no-clip and thought I was doing something illegal when I played on through the rest of the episode. I thought episode 1 was the whole game.

The memories of the first episode are hazy, but I remember the last level, with that creepy music, and those two big pink bastards coming out of the tubes on a giant star-shaped platform, fighting them, eventually winning... Then the walls fell down and I walked into a portal that didn't appear on the HUD map, and then... The feelings I get from playing Doom at indescribable. That game, along with Quake and Half-Life, helped define who I am. They all blew me away when I played them.

I remember playing Doom with my friend Cyb. I would control the movement and he would fire. I remember first playing deathmatch on Heat.net against some guy in England, and playing Coop with some pro from Montana. I remember the first time I played Tei Tenga. The screen talked to me! Such thrilling emotions of fun. Doom is just the best.

I should also mention that I got Doom2 before I even had the full version of Doom.

I found Doomworld and CSDoom. The multiplayer front has since been taken over my no-talent losers and crappy programs that can't handle an internet conntection like CSDoom worth crap, but I am willing to go on the huge about of single-player out there. I find that I prefer the company of people my age, not grunge-goth dorks in college or basements like the ones here, the creepy jerk people born in the early 80s and late 70s who run the Doom Community like a totalitarian government that bends over backwards to kiss their asses. You all know who you are. Doom to you is just a prize, while to me it is illumination.

Happy Birthday Doom!

UAC PR Dept said:

So finally we got a new computer like 6 years ago, I played Wolfenstein which was okay, and then Doom. It did blow me away, but not in the way everyone thinks. There is this feelings I get every time I play the first level of the first episode of Doom. It's not as strong as when first I played it, but I still feel it and the feelings from back then hit me in waves. Anyone know the feeling? That arcadish feeling of "coooool" as you listened to the music and admired the beautiful levels. I remember how I cheered the first time I discovered my first secret and was rewarded a Soul Sphere and a Chaingun. "I felt like God must feel, when he holds a gun."

I think I'm in touch with that feeling. Most people would have stared gaping at their screen in awe when they saw the graphics and the monsters - I first loaded up this dream game and playing through the first level was kinda enigmatic. The same feeling a teenage alien (o_O) would have if by chance he fell out of a spaceship into a deep rainforest with Maoris chasing him with spears and stuff, then finding his own weapon. I remember as I progressed through the first episode I got that feeling of similarity, you know, I've been here before sorta thing, even though it might have been a completely new or different level, but same theme (I'm thinking of E1M9 here). This was probably the peak of immersion. It was a truly magical feeling. Sometimes when bored I will go quickly through the first episode and get those same waves of feeling and recognition, like the split-second mindset a former WW2 soldier would go into upon hearing a car suddenly backfire.

The memories of the first episode are hazy, but I remember the last level, with that creepy music, and those two big pink bastards coming out of the tubes on a giant star-shaped platform, fighting them, eventually winning... Then the walls fell down and I walked into a portal that didn't appear on the HUD map, and then... The feelings I get from playing Doom at indescribable. That game, along with Quake and Half-Life, helped define who I am. They all blew me away when I played them.

Heh, Half-Life. Playing the Half-Life demo, wow. I would consider that the second DOOM experience. Think it was the first game I ever played in OpenGL too, unless I played Q3A first. If I did, I didn't realise - Q3A looks real - but I found I became more immersed in Half-Life because it looked mostly synthetic (yes, I know HL is based on Q3A). Same thing with Unreal Tournament, though a very different experience there. But playing the HL demo was out there. I think I spent more time staring in awe and quicksaving/reloading than actually playing the demo. Watching a US army marine get sucked up by a barnacle, then spitting out the excess remains was just beyond me. Somehow it gave me the same creeps and frights as DOOM, and nearly the same enigmatic feeling. I am part of this world, I cannot leave, there is no bed, I am really a scientist with four guns dangling from a suit covering my whole body climbing a scummy rusted ladder.
I had a dream just before Christmas last year, about living in a space-like world where I could just sit on a rotating asteroid and meditate, and there were no such thing as precious resources because everything just grew naturally and the life went in a perfect circle. Then I bought Half-Life full Game Of The Year Edition and found that exact world I dreamed of was called Xen. Now THAT is an example of what I mean by enigmatic, and I got the same feeling playing DOOM episode 1.

I find that I prefer the company of people my age, not grunge-goth dorks in college or basements like the ones here, the creepy jerk people born in the early 80s and late 70s who run the Doom Community like a totalitarian government that bends over backwards to kiss their asses. You all know who you are. Doom to you is just a prize, while to me it is illumination.

Euh. I think I've just realised I'm an IRC addict. Must... fight... nerdy... addictions... gah.