Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Alientank

Do you use popup killers?

If so what one? I just started using one and it's great. If you don't have one get one, makes it so much easier using the net.

I use Atguard (or @guard), which removes all the banner ads. To remove the popups in Netscape, I simply turn JavaScript off.

I have Javascript turned off. And just about everything else that isn't 100% essential. My "Trusted Sites" have high security settings, and for the "Internet Zone" I basically have the browser set to "castrated" mode.

I'd rather just hit the mute button. It was worn down because I pressed that button so much, so I had to buy a new remote control.

Jonathan said:

Remember though kids, if you use popup-killers you're a thief. You're no better than the immoral freeloading scum who change tv channel during ad-breaks.

Stupidest website...EVER

I have the Proximitron on my school machine. I should install it on my family machine while I'm here.

Did you know there's adware out there that will quietly delete AdAware? Or did, before the AdAware guy threatened legal action.

I tried popup killers, but either it just eliminates a third of all popups, or I never knew how to set it up. I deinstalled it, clicking away popups isn't that hard work ...

Psyonisis said:

How do you turn off JavaScript in IE 6? I haven't found teh switch.

Heh, when I first installed XP, I couldn't find how to turn it ON. So I just downloaded an installer and now I get to see a cup of coffee on top of every Jscripted page... :P

I'm on school computer so I cannot use any popup killers. A shame really because all those popups really get to my nerves. I'm glad there are no popups on these forums...

Jonathan said:

Remember though kids, if you use popup-killers you're a thief. You're no better than the immoral freeloading scum who change tv channel during ad-breaks.

Heh, I just looked there for a second and it threw the gator-thingy install popup at me.

I don't use popup killers, but I tend to block ad site features off from pages I visit regularly.

Jonathan said:

Heh, yeah, the site with all the Gator popups. Directed to people who are too dumb to use pop-up stoppers in the first place. I heard that the guy is a former RIAA employee, but maybe that's just a rumour.

Sigh.

Java and Javascript are not the same thing. That little coffee icon? Yeah, that's for your Java VM. It's got nothing to do with Javascript, and Java (generally) has nothing to do with popups.

There's no reason to bother with any complicated programmable popup killer or disabling javascript (since that breaks, well, the internet) or disabling ActiveX (since that...well, it's not a big deal but whatever).

All you need to do is get yourself over to panicware.com and download PopupStopper, the free edition. Or, I can send it to you. It's freeware, and it has two modes. In the normal mode, it tries to detect and block activex and javascript popups. It works alright, but I use the aggressive mode. It simply does not allow more than one iexplore.exe thread. So, you have one IE window, and it terminates any others that open. If you need to open a new window, simply hold down ctrl or shift as you click the link. It's that simple. In fact, it's ridiculously simple, and it's the best popup killer I've ever used. I've tried essentially everything, and this works the best.

Of course, the only catch is that it only works with IE and Navigator on Windows. But you shouldn't be using anything but IE anyway, unless you're not on Windows, in which case, why are you bothering to read this post?

All that said, a nice HOSTS file helps a lot too. Try the Kazaa Lite "Supertrick" from k-lite.tk - it's the one I'm using.

Pop-Up Stopper's ok, but i prefer Proxomitron. It can help cut out loading times by disabling code such as animated GIFs, background midis, javascript/java applets, and even has the nifty ability to kill Geocities ads.

Lovely.