Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cambreaKer

What is your favourite episode 3 level?

What is your favourite episode 3 level?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite episode 3 level?

• E3M1 - Hell Keep
    • E3M2 - Slough of Despair
    • E3M3 - Pandemonium
    • E3M4 - House of Pain
    • E3M5 - Unholy Cathedral
    • E3M6 - Mt. Erebus
    • E3M7 - Limbo
    • E3M8 - Dis
    • E3M9 - Warrens

Honestly I don't have a favorite map in this episode, I like most if not all maps, each one for different reasons.

I love E3M1, E3M3, E3M4, E3M5, E3M6, E3M7, and I especially love the rather mysterious atmosphere and puzzley nature of E3M4 and E3M7. Even if I was forced to cut a few maps from the list I'd still have to name E3M1, E3M4, E3M6, and E3M7.

Same^ I can't think of one off the top of my head right now, but i'm sure if i played through them real quick i might be able to choose a few favs. BTW, Limbo is the one with all of those teleporters right? Yeah...screw that one.

EDIT: So i went back and skimmed through them all and i have to say that i probably like E3M2 and E3M6 the most. Obviously "Slough of Despair" is just known for the shape of the level but i really do like "Mt. Erebus". It's a big hell-ish level with plenty of FIREBLU and lava (w/e that texture is called). I'm gonna vote for "Mt. Erebus". 

It seems like that is already a popular one as well.

Edited by CyberDreams

It's a strong episode IMO. I'd overall go for Mt Erebus for its unique layout.  I think the island in a sea of damage has gone on to be one of the most influential templates from the original levels.

Such brazen use of fireblu too.

E3M9 - Warrens is my favorite secret map in UD, and my favorite Episode III level. 

The "wtf" factor is huge here, and I love that you get a little cyberdemon standoff reminiscent of E2M8. So much fun. 

I've been playing through UD with a friend who has never played the series, and E3 is next, so we are definitely taking the exit to Warrens so I can see his reaction... 

I went with Warrens since E3M1 is already a fun level to run through on nightmare (and the only map I can actually do on nightmare XD) but Warrens expands on it and adds a cyberdemon battle to mix things up.

Mt. Erebus because of colorful theme and this is a very memorable level, despite the mostly flat design.
It's also depicted on "order Doom" screen of shareware episode.

I gotta go with the Slough as my favorite, but Mt. Erebus is my second favorite, and in my opinion the best.

I like them all. But I think my favorite is E3M2, for setting that pure hellish environment, very different compared to the later episodes.
ALSO FIREBLU <<<

7 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Never realized there was such a dislike against Unholy Cathedral. It's always been my favorite, though I could never pinpoint why.

I like it as well. It's a very atmospheric map and I like the lil puzzle with teleporters.

Hnnnggggg ......

I have a tie between House of Pain and Mt. Erebus with Limbo and Pandemonium for a second place.

Reason why both are good is for gameplay flow and execution. While House of Pain allows traps and crushers with lots of demons and areas to explore, Mt. Erebus allowed non-linearity to search every place possible and having a challenge for the map with all the hazardous landscape and monsters wandering in all areas. And, most importantly, those maps are fun to play.

And I must agree with some of the people here that Unholy Cathedral is my least favorite map of the set....it's not the worst though. Doom 1 in general don't have maps that make you hate when playing casually.

I love Slough of Despair. The music choice with the layout is intense.

I absolutely loathe Limbo however. I can never remember the right path and hiding the teleporters in damaging blood only to discover it's not the right way anyway just pisses me off. That's why I have a vanilla compatible "improved" version in the works still.

My top 3 from Episode 3 (heh) is:

1. E3M8: Dis
  2. E3M2: Slough of Despair

3. E3M5: Unholy Cathedral

3 hours ago, Andromeda said:

My top 3 from Episode 3 (heh) is:

1. E3M8: Dis
  2. E3M2: Slough of Despair

3. E3M5: Unholy Cathedral

To take a page out of @rdwpa's book, people dis on Dis (you appear to be the only one who voted for it), but when I finally tried it from a pistol start, it was 10x more fun. I actually agree with this top 3, though in the opposite order.

Never realized Unholy Cathedral and Limbo are so Dis-liked. Those three are probably my three favorites (Dis is really tough on pistol start but wait, fuck, literally as im writing this I see DuckReconMajor basically said the same thing right before me).

Limbo and Unholy have really interesting layouts. The puzzles are curious and burned into my mind, especially the teleporter sequence in Limbo (and the other teleporter secrets in Unholy.)

I'm usually against teleporter shenanigans but Unholy's big circular design made it fun and adventurous for me since its easy to get reaccustomed by the map and you're never a long maze away from where you need to get to.

11 hours ago, EtherBot said:

Never realized Unholy Cathedral and Limbo are so Dis-liked. Those three are probably my three favorites (Dis is really tough on pistol start but wait, fuck, literally as im writing this I see DuckReconMajor basically said the same thing right before me).

Limbo and Unholy have really interesting layouts. The puzzles are curious and burned into my mind, especially the teleporter sequence in Limbo (and the other teleporter secrets in Unholy.)

I enjoy these more than many others here, as well. 

If I have a complaint about Limbo, it's that you can clear out (almost?) the entire map of enemies before you figure out the puzzle, so the action subsides. It is very atmospheric, though. 

Dis is really fun if you aren't as equipped, as stated. Love the silly infighting opportunity, like in Gotcha from Doom II. 

I think the main complaint about Limbo is that you're gonna take lots of nukage damage if you're new to the map or you forgot the teleport sequence.  Personally, I hate taking unavoidable obstacle damage in all games.