Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

Hey @HAK3180, you gave me some really cool feedback when I posted my first maps a (good) while ago, so I'd find it awesome if you could send me some thoughts regarding my latest attempt... Here's a download link, it's three Doom 2 maps.

@WalterAB

Doomworld forum topic

It feels empty. If you were to see this space, you would think it could house over 100 enemies in a fairly easy level; instead it has about 50. And it’s not just the enemies; the walls, ceilings, and floors are mostly flat so that the map feels empty from a detail standpoint too. There’s just one room that is overcrowded with Things, but that room doesn’t even have a real purpose within the level. It’s a linear map in such a way that it’s a clear case of room-next room-next room. There are some nice views, but you never access those areas.

Bottom line: Some nice atmospheric touches, but the map is way too big for the opposition and the layout is simplistic

@WalterAB

Doomworld forum topic

This map’s layout is much improved over Map 01 with a few "aaah, that’s how you get there" moments. There’s more diversity, more connections, and more opportunities for fun gameplay. The combat is still simplistic, though, with very minimal threat. Visually, it’s crude, but there are some nice touches sprinkled in, and they don’t feel like artificially inserted detail for the sake of it.

Bottom line: It’s an improvement. I’ll be curious as to how much the opposition increases for the next map.

@WalterAB

Doomworld forum topic

There's more improvement here to some areas, but the name of the game is still way too much space. I do like the somewhat nonlinear approach, though it may not be as clever as Map 02. It does manage to preserve a little bit of challenge via hitscanners and minimal health pickups, but it's still lacking in truly engaging combat.

Bottom line: The good thing is there's progress.

Hey whatsupppp

ok no jokes this time, please try map05, shouldn't have bugs should not have problems (at least my brother had no problems and he actually had fun for once! this is quite absurd!). Of course this doesn't mean you will have fun, you probably won't at all!

Let me know as usual :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oerjoxt0ddgagex/Happy 0.5.1.wad?dl=1

Edited by Zolgia108

Niiiice, thank you @HAK3180 for playing my maps and providing the cool feedback! Yes, it was easy on purpose, it's supposed to feel like early levels. Some simple stuff so I don't overwhelm myself while I'm still unexperient at mapping. I'm working on a 4th level for the same wad right now, and I will keep in mind your feedback while I'm working on it. Especially when it comes to the looks and the combat.

This is a map I have been working on for a while. It's in the style of a slaughter map, but it's not just a matter of running in circles and spraying the BFG over and over. You will have to be more tactical than that. I hope you will give it a try :-)

I'm gonna piggy back on this. Along with this guy, I love playing new maps that people are looking for opinions on. That's honestly why I come here to the forums. Take a wad make a video and show the maker how the gameplay looks. So pretty much just posting so that I get updates lol. 

@FanTazTiCxD, Looks like I can play this without too much lag, but not while recording, so I won't be able to give you a video, but I will play this and drop you some comprehensive feedback in the map's own thread.

5 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@FanTazTiCxD, Looks like I can play this without too much lag, but not while recording, so I won't be able to give you a video, but I will play this and drop you some comprehensive feedback in the map's own thread.

Ah, that's a shame, don't you think you can lower the video quality, to reduce lag? I wouldn't mind if the quality is low, as long as I can get a chance to see someone else try my map :-) But no matter what you choose to do, I appreciate it!

@Zolgia108

Download the .wad

The visual style is a little bit conventional for this mapper, but I like it: it’s more of a tech base than I’ve ever seen before. As for the gameplay, this is an action-packed map that hardly lets up. It’s linear, but not rail, but there’s a lot of space you can be in and a lot of different types of space for the monsters to occupy; it’s quite dynamic and intense, even if not one of the hardest by this mapper. I found myself saying a number of times: “This is a good use of X” – cacodemons, turreting, cyberdemon…  It’s only about 120 enemies, so I think it’s comparable to Plutonia in efficiency. My one caveat here would be that with so many free cells, the secret BFG is a game changer, so perhaps a free one/and or changing what’s in the secret should be considered.

Bottom line: Let’s not sugar coat it. The first versions of the first several maps I played in the Djinn wad from this mapper were not good. A lot of newcomers will come to this forum, post their first one or two maps, realize they aren’t very good, and are never heard from again, preventing us from seeing their progress in action. I have seen Zolgia108’s progress in action. You no longer need to look to the future and use words like “potential.” This mapper is capable of making legitimate, good maps right now, and this is one of them.

@Szuran

Doomworld forum topic

I’ll start by saying I’m not all that interested in major conversion projects. This one significantly changes the weapons and the monsters, so that’s pretty much automatic negative points from me. But the layouts are done well and there’s a decent level of detail. The maps feature a realistic environment that appear to try to tell a story beyond a basic “shoot enemies and go.” I found the supply distribution in Map 02 too harsh; it made me basically rage-cheat-rush the exit.

Bottom line: Seems like a project of decent quality, but not really up my alley.

Thank you! It was great to see someone else play it, a learning experience. There are not enough supplies... Because I simply forgot about it. I focused on the middle setting, then got distracted while doing the harder one, never came back.

But I now also see that the church upstairs area should be accessible immediately and not with the switch (which you didn't even know you used, although the visual clue is there even in the video, but it's too small). Boomsnap should definitely kill anyone in a single snap, considering low ammo and no area damage. Doves will get a dmg boost as well.

Now this is useful. Thanks again.

nothing to say here m8! i really loved how you played the map, bfg secret was hard to find in fact you stumbled into it! I'm sad that you could "easily" skip the cyber cause that would have been a cool fight in the middle of the room haahahha but yea i've never seen you retracing for honor so i guess i'll take it as a compliment!

Thanks a lot @HAK3180, i really appreciated it :) next map is almost done so let me know when you want to play it and i will send it to you! Have a nice day!

@Zolgia108

It is indeed a little weird, but the progression is standard. A lot of the monster encounters are unexpected and they tend to work pretty well. Overall visual atmosphere is cool, even if a little detail and polish here and there would be welcome.

Bottom line: This little compartmentalized map packs some punch.

thank you @HAK3180 ok then since i didn't start map 07 yet i'll try to create what you asked for! but i can't assure you anything, i didn't try yet cause i feel it's really complicated to do it well, and many times when i see perfectly interconnected maps i wonder how do they do them, i guess i'll just need to try, i'll let you my friend. Thanks again as usual, i  liked how you left the cyberdemon in there, it really helped you in the last encounter hahaahah

@HAK3180, I discovered your thread today and your video reviews are very helpful!
If I had stumbled over this thread two days earlier, I would have kindly asked you to test my map (urbanabyss.wad) as a video review, too ;-) 

@Archie550

Doomworld forum topic

It’s very easy and very simple. It does boast some custom textures used in a lunar setting, so there’s some character, but it’s just a pretty empty map.

Bottom line: Feels like a nothing special/nothing horrible megawad opener

@Archie550

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a rather short map that still contains some progression choices. It also has a very cramped area in contrast to the open outdoor atmosphere of most of it and all of Map 01. It’s still fairly easy, but you don’t necessarily feel bored.

Bottom line: Combat is a little more intense and scenery is a little more diverse

Thanks for playing my maps! It was nice to actually sit down and watch someone play my maps and offer beneficial commentary so I know what areas I need to work on. I now realize you left a comment on the thread for this wad and that comment is what inspired me to go back and redo the old levels. I don't know if you remember the old map02 but it was very very bare in comparison. Also about the g doors, I can see what you mean by how they were weird but I wanted to have one in every map as an homage to my favorite band Genesis. The soundtrack to the wad is all Genesis as well. Anyways, thanks for the feedback! I'll get working on more changes

Hi @HAK3180,

You gave me some great feedback on my first mapping attempt back in late 2017, and I've added three more maps to the set. I estimate they'd weigh in at about 5-10 minutes apiece. I'd love for you to take a look.

Hi Hak,

I´m back in the saddly after almost 15 years of just playing Doom and finally finished a map which was at first planned for "Eternal Doom IV". I know you hate mouselook and jumping but it was the big hype back then in the old days and so this map was constructed with this in mind. :)

My next work will be more vanilla again, I promise, but I surely woulkd be interested to see somone discovering the map for the first time - especially when it´s someone who obviously loves and understands the game. 

@theDia, I could live with a few shootable switches that you cannot see without vertical aim, but I simply do not play maps that require jumping. To me, that Doomguy cannot jump is quintessential to Doom. Without that phenomenon intact, for all intents and purposes, I'm playing a major conversion project, even if the only conversion is player's mindset.

This thread is a list of people who have stated they will take anyone's requests for playtesting within their parameters.

@Archie550

Doomworld forum topic

I really like the adventurous feel of this map. I think it actually ends up being pretty linear, but it doesn’t feel that way with so much real estate of connected areas and a little backtracking. I may have kinda “stolen” the BFG early, but I still think the map has too many rockets and cells and too many boring, grindy moments, particularly with hell nobles and arachnotrons, but even the boss fight is pretty simplistic, BFG or not. But there is a fair amount of good combat too.

Okay, the Genesis thing makes more sense.

Bottom line: a really cool layout not used to its full potential

@Flying01

Doomworld forum topic

It’s clear that this was strongly influenced by Knee Deep in the Dead. Studying that episode was a wise move for a beginning mapper, because this is well done. The combat is easy but engaging and the space is quite interactive.

Bottom line: a strong, compact opener

@Flying01

Doomworld forum topic

The ideas are not groundbreaking. Everything you see in here has been done before. But you know what? Who cares? If it’s done well, I’ll keep playing it. After all, I still play vanilla style Doom after all these years. So yeah, this map is not all that innovative, but the execution is there from the secrets to the monsters to the layout.

Bottom line: Another solid layout and well executed ideas