Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

unpopular retro opinions

On 5/30/2019 at 3:49 PM, Ajora said:

Sonic CD is crap. The level design is sterile, it's short and insultingly easy. 

it's only short if you're not looking for the good future

Edited by Noiser

I didn't bother with the time-travelling aspect of the game, because I wanted it to be over as quickly as possible. The only enjoyment I got out of it was the race against Metal Sonic. 

I think classic Sonic as a whole is overrated, although that opinion is not that unpopular nowadays.

5 minutes ago, kristus said:

Half life ruined FPS games.

How?

By being awful and popular at the same time. Everyone follows suit and FPS games are garbage for 2 decades following.

secret of mana with a multi-tap is the best rpg ever.

Captain America and The Avengers was better than TMNT or XMEN.

Master Cheif is based on the Doom Marine, but the DOOMSLAYER is based off of the Security Officer.

10 minutes ago, kristus said:

By being awful and popular at the same time. Everyone follows suit and FPS games are garbage for 2 decades following.

What do you find so awful at the game(s?)

On 5/30/2019 at 4:21 PM, seed said:

How?

I can't say it's ruined, but certainly started an era of shooters I don't have any interest anymore.
(focus on realism, cutscenes, linearity, etc. Not necessarily bad stuff, just not my thing)

Edited by Noiser

Just now, seed said:

What do you find at the game(s?) so awful?

I can only speak for myself, but what I didn't like about it was that long for stretches it was utterly linear - just running through corridor after corridor after ventilation shaft with the occasional room in-between but not nearly enough puzzles that kept you in a single place for longer. The few places where such puzzles existed were by far the best sequences of the game but not enough to detract from the linearity elsewhere.

Unfortunately this type of design became the blueprint for most shooters that came after it .

1 minute ago, Graf Zahl said:

Quake 2 is a far superior game to Quake 1.

I actually like Quake 2 more than Quake 1 as well.

19 minutes ago, kristus said:

Half life ruined FPS games.

For me, its Halo that ruined FPS games. 2 weapon limits can go to hell.

While it's true that Half-Life inspired a lot of garbage, it's still by far one of the best games ever made.

17 minutes ago, Noiser said:

I can't say it ruined, but certainly started an era of shooters that I don't had any interest anymore.

14 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

I can only speak for myself, but what I didn't like about it was that long for stretches it was utterly linear - just running through corridor after corridor after ventilation shaft with the occasional room in-between but not nearly enough puzzles that kept you in a single place for longer. The few places where such puzzles existed were by far the best sequences of the game but not enough to detract from the linearity elsewhere.

Unfortunately this type of design became the blueprint for most shooters that came after it .

Hm, then perhaps the problem is not necessarily the games themselves but rather their influence upon the industry and how developers starting copying its formula and only changing things. Interestingly, my interest in modern shooters has also been decreasing more and more as of late and I find myself going back to more and more retro stuff.

I didn't mind its linearity (probably because I simply have an awful sense of direction, which is sadly not limited to video games, but also in real life), but then it takes place inside a research facility 75% of the time. HL2 managed to add more exploration and variety in an otherwise still linear game but it also focused much more on the narrative and story than combat.

12 minutes ago, Pegg said:

Warcraft 1 sucks.

With War2 and 3 out, definitely.

I agree with Graf with Quake 2 as well. I love the mission structure and hub system of Quake 2. Plus, Railgun is awesome.

Unpopular opinion: Silent Hill 4 is better than 3.

mazes are good

block pushing is good

yu-gi-oh video games are good

the laughing scene from ffx is good

Bioware has never made a truly great game. The closest they got was Mass Effect which was Really Good but not Truly Great. 

System Shock 2 is far superior to SS1. 

Fallout 1 and 2 are mediocre games with a great setting and 99% of people negatively comparing modern Fallouts to them haven't even played them at depth. 

The Elder Scrolls is just Gnosticism repackaged for lame, slightly racist white suburbanites. 

Call of Cthulhu > Dungeons and Dragons

7 hours ago, Ajora said:

Sonic CD is crap. The level design is sterile, it's short and insultingly easy. 

I have to agree, the level design is boring as shit. I've tried getting into it multiple times and I ended up shutting it off by the time I got to Quartz Quadrant. The Genesis/MegaDrive trilogy and Mania are vastly superior games. The Japanese OST and animated cutscenes are its best redeeming qualities.

Anything prior to the third generation of video game consoles has aged like sour milk. The only stuff that still holds up are classic arcade games and the Commodore 64. (Even then, most of the good stuff from the latter didn't come until around the late 80's/early 90's.) That being said, the Atari 2600 homebrew scene is cool.

Star Fox 1 and 2 have aged like fine wine. People who say these games are unplayable don't know how truly bad framerates in early 3D console games were. You can easily overclock them in Retroarch anyway, so its a non-issue.

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels is a great game and its difficulty has been blown way out of proportion. The level design is not cheap or unfair like people say it is. It may be a ROM hack, but its a well designed one and compliments the original SMB well in my opinion.

Edited by Patch93

3 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

System Shock 2 is far superior to SS1 other games. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

I second this.

But the original Deus Ex is also better than SS2. Yeah, I get it, the combat is not the focus of SS2 and that is not my problem with it, but seriously fuck the floaty movement and physics. Just makes the experience tedious later on.

On 5/30/2019 at 9:07 AM, Bucket said:

Video games weren't dying in 1983 and Nintendo didn't save the industry.

E.T. for Atari 2600 is not that bad, just hard to understand. You need a manual to play it, like Raiders of the Lost Ark (by the same author) or Superman.

Edited by Noiser

9 hours ago, Bucket said:

Video games weren't dying in 1983 and Nintendo didn't save the industry.

That's not an opinion lol, that's literal fact. Only video game consoles in the United States were dying (largely due to Atari being a shitty company and not putting proper quality control on their library letting developers produce tons of shovelware). Computers and arcade games were doing just fine, especially elsewhere in the world. Nintendo did make consoles relevant again in America though.

- i really love Quake II and i wish people made more maps and mods for it.

- i recently played Need For Speed: Underground and i'm glad i skipped it back in the day. the environments have little (if any) variety, the opponent catch-up system is annoying, and i hate the hip-hop tracks that play in the menu. The sequel is so much better, i still play it to this day.

- Blood II isn't that bad. it just needs some fixes and rebalancing.

Shadow Warrior is the best Build game, not Blood or Duke3D

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island > every other Mario game in existence

I hate all Atari 2600 games

Starfleet Command 2/Orion Pirates is a fantastic spacesim and better than any other Star Trek game

I actually really like Castlevania Harmony of Disonnance's soundtrack. It might not have the greatest sound choices. But damn the soundtrack is still awesome. Awesome enough for a few tunes to be on my phone.

2 minutes ago, NuMetalManiak said:

I hate all Atari 2600 games

That's a lot of emotion directed towards a group of items you probably has not all played and can easily avoid.