Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

Why does Sigil in some cases replaces Episode 3?
Do you guys think that Episode 3 is bad? Or at least that bad to be replaced? :(

it's only doing so for certain engines that can't handle an episode 5 (in particular prboom+, to allow for demo recording). if you're running GZD, EE, or a buncha other engines, you can use the main one and have a proper E5. E3 was probably just picked for a replacement due to the secret level slot, presumably.

Just downloaded it but sadly, I must sleep AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Just downloaded it but sadly, I must sleep AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure you can spare 11 minutes.

1 hour ago, fraggle said:

Romero's head is bigger than I anticipated. Heavy too.

Would have preferred it to be Romero's current head. Is it too late to ask for a refund?

Here are the update WAD details:

https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/SIGIL-v1.1

https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/SIGIL-v1.1-(Compatibility)

Screenshots to come. The music WADs haven't changed.

Change log from 1.0 to 1.1:

Changes made in order to patch Sigil.wad and Sigil_compat.wad
Made by Flambeau with the help of Keyboard_Doomer and Dew

- map4:
    Eye switches:

Changed the actions on the lines, swapped the back line to raise wall and the front line to open the door. That way the maps can't break.
        Eye 1;
        Changed linedef 2070 from "action 46 and tag 21" to "action 24 and tag 45"
        Changed linedef 3910 from "action 24 and tag 45" to "action 46 and tag 21"
        Eye 2;
        Changed linedef 3912 from "action 24 and tag 46" to "action 47 and tag 13"
        Changed linedef 1362 from "action 47 and tag 13" to "action 24 and tag 46"

Items:

Changed flags on the following items, because they are in an unreachable place in Singleplay mode, but don't have the MultiPlayer only flag.
    (meaning these can't be reached and no 100% items possible)

Health bonus Thing 185 - 196 Enabled Multiplayer Flag

- map5:
    Eye switches:

Changed the actions on the lines, swapped the back line to raise wall and the front line to open the door. That way the maps can't break.
        Eye 1;
        Changed linedef 286  from "action 46 and tag 4"  to "action 24 and tag 35"
        Changed linedef 2352 from "action 24 and tag 35" to "action 46 and tag 4"

- map6:
    Red key part blocking fix:

Changed the 2 action lines that will block the left part leading to red key and opening right part of map at start room.
    It would be possible to break the map in Multiplayer if a player dies between the 2 lines, so leaving the red key map part unreachable for
    other players, and the right part of map not being opened.
        Swapped the action on the 2 lines that control this mechanics, so first the right part of map will be opened and then the left part will be closed.
        This prevents the map to break in Multiplayer, but doesn't change how the map progress is.

Changed linedef 784 from  "action 5 and tag 10" to "action 38 and tag 36"
        Changed linedef 3505 from "action 38 and tag 36" to "action 5 and tag 10"

- map7:
    Items:

Changed flags on the following items, because they are in an unreachable place in Singleplay mode, but don't have the MultiPlayer only flag.
    (meaning these can't be reached and no 100% items possible)

Soulsphere Thing 334 Enabled Multiplayer Flag
        Beserk Thing 335 Enabled Multiplayer Flag
        Armor bonus Thing 350 - 354 Enabled Multiplayer Flag
        Health bonus Thing 355 - 359 Enabled Multiplayer Flag

Red door part - hell pit room fixes:

There is the sector (198) with the wall lowering and later closing the hellpit room again. There is a missing texture and also the mechanics of the trap
    will lock the player out when he will fall of the edge later, after activating the closing of this sector by activating linedef 2810 but before opening
    it again with linedef 2927. This will result in the player being unable to finish the map, thus map will break cause of this. I came with a way to prevent
    this, but remaining the mechanics of the trap.

Missing texture;
        linedef 1195 front sidedef 1856 uppertexture wood5 added

sector 198;
        Floor lowered to height 152 and ceiling lowered down to height 152.
        changed the action on linedef 5295 to action 86 (WR door open stay).

- map8:

Eye switches:

Eye 1;
        Changed linedef 337 from "action 46 and tag 3" to "action 24 and tag 27"
        Changed linedef 2104 from "action 24 and tag 27" to "action 46 and tag 3"
        Eye 2;
        Changed linedef 14 from "action 46 and tag 1" to "action 24 and tag 2"
        Changed linedef 1362 from "action 24 and tag 2" to "action 46 and tag 1"

Fix in startroom:

Changed the linedef property of the startroom grate (in front of eye) so player can't walk in and lock itself in when the wall raises. This cause the map to break.
    Linedef property:
        Linedef 339;
        Enabled the "impassable" flag

Spider Mastermind:

In Sigil_compat.wad Episode3 gets replaced. The Spider Mastermind will still count as a boss in E3M8. In order to prevent the map to finish direct after the
    Spider Mastermind is killed, we made an addition to DeHacked. This change will remove the boss special from the Spider Mastermind.
    This will not be an issue in Sigil.wad because it runs as Episode5

Dehacked addition;

Pointer 347 (Frame 631)
        Codep Frame = 0

- map9:

Firestick cages:

Changed the linedef property of the firestick cages of the blue skull room. You could walk trough the grate on all 3 Firesticks
    Linedef Property;
        Linedef 1264 Enabled the "impassable" flag
        Linedef 1269 Enabled the "impassable" flag
        Linedef 1274 Enabled the "impassable" flag

- Intermission screen fix: (Sigil_compat.wad only)

Inserted transparent sprites for the "You are here" and arrows for Sigil_compat.wad
    Because of the replacing of E3 the engine will use the intermission map with the pointing of "you are here". Since there is no intermission map for Sigil, but only an
    Intermission texture, it made the arrow be placed on the Interpic during intermission. With no Intermission map being made, choice fell on making the hardcoded arrow
    and text transparent.
        Edited WIURH0 / WIURH1 / WISPLAT and added them into sigil_compat_patch.wad
        See attached wad for them.

- ZDaemon sky fix: (Sigil.wad only)

Added a ZDaemon-compatible (shorter) sky for use in mapinfo (see attached wad;
    just copy the updated TEXTURE1/TEXTURE2/PNAMES as well as the new SKY5_ZD patch)

- Mapinfo: (Sigil.wad only)

Created a mapinfo (old format) for Sigil.wad
    Source ports that don't support zmapinfo but do support mapinfo will be able to run Sigil now as episode 5 and don't require the use of Episode 3 replacing Sigil_compat.wad
    See attached wad or copy from below:

// ZDaemon MAPINFO for SIGIL

defaultmap
    nocrouch
    nojump
    sky1 SKY5_ZD 0.0
    cluster 5
    enterpic SIGILINT
    exitpic SIGILINT

map E5M1 "Baphomet's Demesne"
    levelnum 41
    titlepatch WILV40
    next E5M2
    music D_E5M1

map E5M2 "Sheol"
    levelnum 42
    titlepatch WILV41
    next E5M3
    music D_E5M2

map E5M3 "Cages of the Damned"
    levelnum 43
    titlepatch WILV42
    next E5M4
    music D_E5M3

map E5M4 "Paths of Wretchedness"
    levelnum 44
    titlepatch WILV43
    next E5M5
    music D_E5M4

map E5M5 "Abaddon's Void"
    levelnum 45
    titlepatch WILV44
    next E5M6
    music D_E5M5

map E5M6 "Unspeakable Persecution"
    levelnum 46
    titlepatch WILV45
    next E5M7
    secretnext E5M9
    music D_E5M6

map E5M7 "Nightmare Underworld"
    levelnum 47
    titlepatch WILV46
    next E5M8
    music D_E5M7

map E5M8 "Halls of Perdition"
    levelnum 48
    titlepatch WILV47
    next EndGame1
    nosoundclipping
    music D_E5M8

map E5M9 "Realm of Iblis"
    levelnum 49
    titlepatch WILV48
    next E5M7
    music  D_E5M9

cluster 5
    flat "FLOOR7_2"
    exittext "Baphomet was only doing Satan's bidding\nby bringing you back to Hell. Somehow they\ndidn't understand that you're the reason\nthey failed in the first place.\n\nAfter mopping up the place with your\narsenal, you're ready to face the more\nadvanced demons that were sent to Earth.\n\n\nLock and load. Rip and tear."

Edited by WadArchive : no need to add another post

Changelog for 1.1 (thanks @Hekksy)

@dew on discord:

the changelog in the file isn't complete tho

that changelog covers what flambeau and kb_doomer provided, but then there were a few more additional changes

from the top of my head: the e5m2 mandatory medkit pickup to open up the exit is now a bunch of health bonuses so people are drawn to it better

the inescapable bit of lava right next to the start area is now escapable
some DM visual crap was fixed
most important (covered in the changelog tho) is that the compat version now has a dehacked definition that stops the mastermind death from ending m8

Now that it's out, this is a high priority recording for my channel in 1080p! Stay tuned!

13 hours ago, Linguica said:

Is this discrepancy intentional?

Screen Recording 2019-05-30 at 7.14.40 AM.mov.lossy.gif

13 hours ago, Gez said:

I'm going to say it's probably intentional, because the one in sigil_compat is in 3rd position on the menu so it cannot be too long or it'd overlap with "Thy Flesh Consumed". Using a normal font avoids this kind of issues.

Yup, what Gez said.

Anyhow, I would've liked to put a Doomsday MAPINFO in SIGIL.wad to round it out, but ran into some troubles:

• The v1.1 patch plan sorta materialized just this week, and my schedule has been booked solid since Monday (new job "woes") until literally just now.
  • Doomsday fails to startup on my new PC, with no error message, so uh...

At any rate, enjoy the wad. :P

Awesome. I had just gotten an email update about the new version, so I was curious to see what had changed. (Stupidly excited to see that my thought to swap the eye-switch trigger lines to prevent map-breaking was indeed the fix, though of course I'm sure I wasn't the first one to think of it.)

I'm a little torn, though, because I don't think I want to stop in the middle of my continuous run just for those couple of fixes. I'll probably save it for my second run with Jimmy's soundtrack.

I just finished E5M1 and it easily one of my favorite maps I've ever played. Seriously, I need more maps like this, but with Doom II monsters and the Super Shotgun.

Sorry for being extremely incompetent with configuring stuff, but how can I play Sigil on Chocolate Doom? Is that possible?
I was looking in the internet and someone said to write: "chocolate-doom -iwad doom.wad -file SIGIL_COMPAT.wad" and save it as a .cmd and then execute it.

I did and everything went fine, but as I play through the very first seconds (no more than 3 seconds) when I grab the shotgun and shoot, it crashes and an error window pops up saying: "R_FindPlane: no more visplanes".

Is there any other way to play Sigil in Chocolate Doom?

2 minutes ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

Sorry for being extremely incompetent with configuring stuff, but how can I play Sigil on Chocolate Doom? Is that possible?
I was looking in the internet and someone said to write: "chocolate-doom -iwad doom.wad -file SIGIL_COMPAT.wad" and save it as a .cmd and then execute it.

I did and everything went fine, but as I play through the very first seconds (no more than 3 seconds) when I grab the shotgun and shoot, it crashes and an error window pops up saying: "R_FindPlane: no more visplanes".

Sigil is limit removing, it won't work in choco.

2 minutes ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

Sigil is made for limit removing ports, thus it cannot be played with Chocolate Doom.

4 minutes ago, SirJuicyLemon said:

I've been using Crispy Doom; most of the differences between Choco and Crispy can be disabled if you don't want them.

8 minutes ago, fraggle said:

I've been using Crispy Doom; most of the differences between Choco and Crispy can be disabled if you don't want them.

Sounds like it's the best alternative to keep the classical feel while being limit removing port, as I see from the replies above. Am I right?

I usually like modern sourceport playing, but guess the first time(s) deserve to be played as classical as possible.

15 minutes ago, fraggle said:

Well, I'm the author of Chocolate Doom and I'm recommending you use Crispy. So yes.

:0 !

What a legend!
And thank you very much for the advice.

I preordered the Beast Box and still no word on when it's shipping except some time next week maybe...

Also, seems it will be shipped from the US after all. I remember the order page saying that customers in Germany will get theirs shipped from Ireland so there will be no import fees (since Ireland and Germany are both EU countries). I wonder why that could not be done for customers in more EU countries. ;__;

Looks like the eBay price of the regular edition is already more than the double the original purhcase price though, so I guess it's alright even if I now have to pay at least 50 euros more to customs. Not sure if I ever want to open the shrinkwrap from mine... maybe one day I can trade it with a complete id Anthology set? (which I'd honestly want more)

I quickly tested out the deathmatch arenas as I was curious about them. They're pretty good, though one of them is just "Dead Simple"!

Quickly played up to E5M5 and what I can already say is, that I prefer the Jimi Midis over Buckethead's soundtrack. The Buckethead music itself is fine, it just.. doesn't really fit for me. Jimmy on the other hand... man, that's something else.

Also, even though I was already watching some playthroughs of it prior to playing it for myself, I was still surprised by how fun it actually is. It didn't look all that great from the videos, but playing it yourself is indeed quite enjoyable. I am still not sure about some of the texturing choices, though. In some places it's blatant and obviously lazy misalignment (and it was not a secret afaik) and while that might have been okay in 1994 being an all new game and John also coding DoomEd whilst simultaneously mapping, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth 25 years later.

What I do tremendously enjoy are those cracks in the floor and even the ceiling. Simple, but hella effective.

Same here. I prefer the midis too. So playwise, i would have been totally fine with the free release.

1 hour ago, Glaice said:

So, who's going to upload it to /idgames/?

Done. Now it's up to the admin(s) to process it.

Had a blast playing/testing SIGIL deathmatch yesterday @ ZDaemon with Flambeau, Krawa & Manolo.

So cool that Romero hasn't forgotten his roots and is providing us with new content.

Lots of respect for Flambeau, KD & Dew who sacrificed their free time to help Romero fix bugs voluntarily.

*nerdgasm*

testing123.png

Edited by UberGewei

3 hours ago, elend said:

Also, even though I was already watching some playthroughs of it prior to playing it for myself, I was still surprised by how fun it actually is. It didn't look all that great from the videos, but playing it yourself is indeed quite enjoyable. I am still not sure about some of the texturing choices, though. In some places it's blatant and obviously lazy misalignment (and it was not a secret afaik) and while that might have been okay in 1994 being an all new game and John also coding DoomEd whilst simultaneously mapping, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth 25 years later.

What I do tremendously enjoy are those cracks in the floor and even the ceiling. Simple, but hella effective.

The misalignments that I think I called impressionistic and you call blatant and obviously lazy are an interesting topic.  I found the maps very atmospheric despite it - the overall impression of the lighting and architecture worked.  But that said, I think you do have a point.  Most of the stuff released by the community is more polished in this regard than an addon with paid tiers. The tools do the majority of the work for you! 

It getting a pass on this front because hey it's Romero or is it just that the general look and gameplay matters more to players?  I wonder if Sigil will have any influence in loosening up the prevailing tendencies regarding alignment.

2 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Each level seems to have its own unique gameplay gimmicks. Some are better than others but so far I haven't found any to be infuriating like GGGManLives. I really think he just sucks at the game and doesn't want to admit it.  It's hard for sure but I never really felt it to be unfair. The episode DEMANDS that you pay attention to your surroundings and make quick but smart decisions. Failure to do so results in a quick death. Think fast or die faster. 

I think the true testament of skill in terms of Doom mapping is making a hard Doom 1 episode. You have a lot less to work with and no SSG, Revenants, Archviles and Chaingunners. Making a hard but fair map without those is a true testament of skill. It sure does border on being imbalanced at times but it never reaches that point. On the other hand, this WAD just serves to highlight how terribly bad the Baron of Hell monster really is.

Yeah, I really feel like this is a gameplay-is-prime type wad. With the barons and inescapable pits being the two missteps. As you suspected though, if you find the secrets and play on continuous you've usually got enough rockets to soften them up. 

On a second playthrough with the BH soundtrack, have to echo the people that preferred the MIDIs. The Map02 MIDI has one of the best chord resolutions I've heard in ages, mmm.

Last map a real letdown though, no evidence at all of the thought that went into the other maps. Phoned in like a reverse charge (believe that's a collect call to you North Americans) phone call from a payphone is how it seems to me