Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: SIGIL

Category 1 recording of casual stroll through the wad until I've failed to spot both evil eye and crusher-free safe space in M4.

I will stream my attempt this time ! I hope my connection will not be too crappy.

Anyways , I will provide a Demo.

Died in E3M4 , cat 1 too , those damn crushers !

Really excellent wad , I loved it from what I played. :)

DEMO

Hopefully @Alfonzo can clarify if this is indeed for June's DWIL. If not, when can we participate until?

On 5/3/2019 at 1:25 AM, Alfonzo said:

In May June, 2019, John Romero sends us packing with the limitless Sigil, -complevel 3 (Doom (strict)). 

If it's today only, I'm afraid I'm going to have to bail out of this one.

The "month" will start from when the WAD becomes available to the freeloading public, but you can upload your Beast Box Runs or whatever they're called here in the meantime, sure. They'll count for the leaderboard, although I won't actually be able to put them up until the month starts because I'd like to go in cat 1.

@Dragonfly That's what Alfonzo said.

Category 1, dead on E3M5... 91/111 monsters I think?

Spoiler

Don't think there was much i could do unless i had picked up the berserk pack earlier.. would of been able to punch the pinkies and kill them faster instead of chainsawing them and getting cornered by the cacos.. o well 

dwironman-dubz-SIGIL.zip

A Black Friday Sigil Ironman with everyone trampling over each other to be the first to die horribly? That's so metal!

You have until the end of June, @Dragonfly.

In order to avoid confusion I may just make this the June Ironman challenge instead of doubling up, also, as was the original plan after May fell through. Would anyone object? I feel like there isn't any pressure to make up for lost ground.

Cat 1. Recorded with latest Eternity dev build with -vanilla setting. This WAD messes up weapon next and previous commands, so it always switches to fists.

Gave up to baron in e5m2 because of no clue where to go and no ammo for the deal. Difficulty could have been set in much better way, than making you to fight with almost bare hands. However i will beat it on UV and delete it forever.

rmsgl.7z

18 minutes ago, Rimantas said:

Cat 1. Recorded with latest Eternity dev build with -vanilla setting. This WAD messes up weapon next and previous commands, so it always switches to fists.

Gave up to baron in e5m2 because of no clue where to go and no ammo for the deal. Difficulty could have been set in much better way, than making you to fight with almost bare hands. However i will beat it on UV and delete it forever.

rmsgl.7z

I have not played it yet but I think it would be better to play it first in HMP and then in UV.

When I look at the comments, I noticed that people who played this in UV (for their first walkthrough) seemed to be annoyed at the difficulty whereas those who played at HMP or below seemed to enjoy it.

Ok Guys I have done my ironman attempt.

Demo: sigildemo.zip (around 25 to 30 min-ish demo)

Used: Glboom+ 2.5.1.4 and Sigil_compat.wad (Version 1.1)

Dead on E3M5 (27 out of 111 monsters killed)

Spoiler

I was doing so well. Most of the time in my demo attempt I was at above 100 health and had good amount of ammo. I even survived the crusher maze in M4 in my first attempt (I am proud of myself for that).

But ultimately the cyberdemons in M5 turned me into a mashed meat.

I think my run is Category 2. But I will requote my previous comment.

On 5/26/2019 at 6:31 PM, ReaperAA said:

@Alfonzo

A question regarding Sigil. I didn't get to ask this before but what would be my category if I have watched Romero's streams (back in December/January). Romero showed atleast 3 different levels in his streams in which he even completed one of the levels.

Edited by ReaperAA

Recorded one week ago, first version of wad, was paying too much attention to automap, died on e3m4.

dwiron_sigil.zip

Guess there was no way I would beat that map because later maps don't have crushers so that would end the streak of dying to crushers in doom1 wads.

9 hours ago, seed said:

I guess it's time to die again, twice this time xd.

Dead and done. DEAD on E3M3, an absolutely pathetic, disgusting, and totally unnecessary death, but I wasn't careful, made a few dumb mistakes, and paid the price. Died earlier than expected for sure (I was expecting to die to the crusher puzzle but I didn't make it to it).

Category 2, I've finished (and streamed) Sigil today on HMP so I'm familiar with the layouts, but not much else, first run on UV.

Spoiler

GlBoom+ 2.5.1.5, -iwad doom.wad -file sigil_compat.wad -complevel 3 -warp 3 1 -skill 4 -record seedsigilrun -longtics

Profoundly disappointed by my performance this month, but nothing new. No I'm not depressed, again :p . Just disappointed.

seedsigilrun.zip

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/432660411

(playthrough starts at around 38:00) Category 1 run, died on E5M4 to the crusher maze and my own impatience.

I then went on to play the rest of SIGIL afterwards, and was blessed by the presence of John Romero himself during the last 30-40 minutes of my stream. (I hope a few other streamers of SIGIL get so lucky over the next few days)

And I now have the official word on Revenants: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/432666879

My life is forever changed.....

(SIGIL was fun to play.)

Was supposed to play this next week due to having other stuff to do, but I couldn't hold until then and wanted to see what SIGIL was about... :)
So I tried, and died miserably in E5M4, in.... the crusher part, yeah you guessed it right.

(Category 1)

I then went on and played all the remaining maps on UV, Pistol Start with saves.

It really is an interesting wad.

I must admit that I didn't really like E1M8B and E1M4B, so my expectations for SIGIL weren't high. As it turns out, this new episode is a great experience and I'd like to thank John Romero and the team behind it.

Basically, it relies on the same recipe as Thy Flesh Consumed : low health and ammo, mandatory crossings over toxic sludge or lava, and Shotgun Guys galore. Here, though, John Romero added new elements, such as inescapable pits, crushers (E5M4 can go die in a dumpster fire), crampedness, and obscurity (at times). Environment is your worst enemy here, not the monsters.

SIGIL manages to top Episode 4 in terms of difficulty while not feeling unfair towards the player. Besides, there are many secrets which help a lot during the more infuriating parts.

In terms of visuals, John clearly tried (and succeeded) to make the most out of Doom's stock resources to create a nice satanic imagery and atmosphere (that was sorely missed in Doom II). Thus, SIGIL blends in very well with E3 and E4 and truly feels like a proper Thy Flesh sequel.

I'm glad John Romero created it, it's a blessing to see one of Doom's creators coming back to the fray after all that time and the end result is more than what I had hoped for :)

Also, I'll take Jimmy's music over Buckethead's any day.

SIGIL-Ironman-E5M4MadeMeItsBitch-wh.zip

doom00.png.b8560b113cd54cebf1b56313011691ea.png

OH NO... It was at this moment he knew - he fucked up.

Spoiler

Nah it wasn't, just kidding, but it was hair-raising.

dwironman_naza_may19_SI6IL.zip

SCORE: Dead on E3M5 (!)

CATEGORY: 1 (blind) - you can call it a 2 because I knew what is necessary to do in M1, but I doubt it gave me a lot of time, it's easily telegraphed for those who didn't know.

TIME TAKEN TO REACH MAP: 24:43

SATISFIED? Yes.

Yes, I just managed to avoid that crusher. Took a bit of damage, obviously, and possibly screwed up the crusher cycle (which made the puzzle a bit more difficult), but got to E3M5 where I died because I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go, and when I figured out, I had 2 shells and 3 HP. Needless to say, the first monster I saw was a shotgunner. He shot first. Did much better than I had hoped for.

Took a stab at my run this morning.  I had an oh shit moment on E3M2 that I'm amazed didn't result in me getting divine punishment from a little surprise going into a warp.

As for my death?  Add another person to the crusher hell death zone of E3M4.  I somehow cheated death against one of the slow crushers and somehow got out from underneath one that was crushing me.  A minute later, I didn't get to cheat death a second time to another slow crusher.

Overall though, really fun!  Might actually take the time and play through the rest of the wad this weekend.

DWIronman_Sigil_AnimaZero.zip

I swear guys... im actually good at this game, really :(
Recorded on eternity using SIGIL_COMPAT and -vanilla command, died on m2, i had played m1 before and i was aware of some secrets, but on m2 i was mostly blind, so i guess this is cat2

Spoiler

I guess i really should pay more attention, i missed the switch that followed and had no idea were to go next, so i roamed the place a bit before biting the dust, i really hoped to go on longer but oh well

dmpsigil.zip

Died on E5m4 to those cursed crushers, (Catagory 2) as I had wanted to play it in old school nostalgia mode, for shits n giggles

Likely to do my run tonight. Let's get this over and done with at last! :D

Here's your monthly graphic, though nothing changed since last month, heh.

3bBlmmD.png