Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sincity2100

My Thoughts of Sigil

So Sigil came out hours ago, and I played it, I was really interested playing this game, and I really have a lot to say about this game.

First of all I'll talk about the positives, The look of the game, I think that Sigil is a beautiful looking game, I think Romero did a really Solid Job in Capturing the Hell's look and it gives me the "episode 4" Vibe look and feel, which is my favorite episode in the Ultimate Doom, The game is much more well detailed, I like the Evil Eye Concept in these maps, the Lighting is really solid, Romero just Outdone himself on this one, and I really think that this game is better looking than all the other episodes that came before it.

Also The new music is really good too, although I really can't pick up a favorite I think that my favorite music is E5M8, It doesn't necessarily fit in as the final map,but it's a really good music on it's own.

Now we talk about the Gameplay, This is were things gets nasty, The first three maps were really fun and it got me to the mood, but the game started getting harder and it became less fun after that, it doesn't mean that I hate hard maps, quite the opposite I really enjoy harder maps that tests your skill and patience, but The level designs suffers from major balancing issues through out the way.

E5M4 is were the game started to take a nosedive in gameplay, one of the areas have you traverse into an area with lots of Crushing Ceilings that are annoying to get through, while another area had you take a route throughout a bunch of floors that sinks into a lava, while the Yellow Key area on one of the sides at the end of the passage, and this area is difficult to kill every enemy in it without getting damage, because yes the sank floors comes back up, but you still take damage.

E5M6 and E5M9 Were the worst ones in my opinion, E5M6 was really hard but less fun because of the lighting problems, the map was too dark that I could barely see anything and I was having my ass kicked that it's getting annoying, E5M9 has it's own problems, this map is filled with damaging floors that it's annoying to explore throughout the map, and the Cyberdemon Fight in this map was really bad and not endering at all,for the record you can't 100% the map with a Pistol Start because of the limited amount of the Rockets in this map.

E5M7 is a little better, but the last bits were pretty bad, there is a part of the map where a passage where it's center is a bottomless pit of lava where it's hard to dodge a projectile from Cacodemons and lost souls unless you fall into the pit and die, the last area is really annoying where the areas are Clusterphobic to the brim where you can't dodge without taking a hit, also the limited ammo and health doesn't help it's case either.

With that being said, I think that E5M8 was a really fun final map, I wished the other maps were as fun as this map, it doesn't frustrates me, it's not a Convoluted mess like the others, and I wished that there were a balance between Ammunation and Health, beacause the episode suffers from a much limited health problems.

My Overall Rating for Sigil it's 5 out of 10 , and that's me being Generous BTW, If the game actually fixes the Health Balancing Problems and numerous fights in the later episodes, this game would have been great, in the end, I was left disappointed with this game that I wished it could have been a lot better than What I anticipated. 

>E5M9 has it's own problems, this map is filled with damaging floors that it's annoying to explore throughout the map, and the Cyberdemon Fight in this map was really bad and not endering at all,for the record you can't 100% the map with a Pistol Start because of the limited amount of the Rockets in this map.

sigil_e5m9_uvmax.zip

I'm very unskilled, waste ammo like there's no tomorrow, and still I'm able to 100% the map, I'm sure a more skilled player could cut the time to about 4 minutes. Played through PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4, -complevel 3 -file SIGIL_COMPAT.wad

I've played through E5M9 and mostly love it. Buckethead's music brings a totally different feel to it that I'm really digging. (Though when I replay it will be with Jimmy's MIDIs.) The maps are tough but mostly fair on UV/continuous/saves. Ammo gets pretty tight whenever there's a non-telefraggable cyber around. (I spent all but my last couple shells on the M6 one, and just ran from the dude in M9.) Love the look of the levels, though, and the theme is very cool, and the eye-switches are a great mechanic when they work (and it looks like v1.1 fixed them, so yay!)

33 minutes ago, Salt-Man Z said:

I've played through E5M9 and mostly love it. Buckethead's music brings a totally different feel to it that I'm really digging. (Though when I replay it will be with Jimmy's MIDIs.) The maps are tough but mostly fair on UV/continuous/saves. Ammo gets pretty tight whenever there's a non-telefraggable cyber around. (I spent all but my last couple shells on the M6 one, and just ran from the dude in M9.) Love the look of the levels, though, and the theme is very cool, and the eye-switches are a great mechanic when they work (and it looks like v1.1 fixed them, so yay!)

Yeah, The Level Design is really an eye-candy, and I love the eye-switches mechanic as well

Something I've learned after the fact is that Hurt Me Plenty and Ultra Violence are WAY different experiences, and jumping straight for UV can lead to a way less fun time depending on your inclination with the game.