Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Maverick013

Freedoom Instruction Manual

That's a really good idea :)

Maybe something like this should be also generated through git and maybe even included in the download, or at least be part of the website at https://freedoom.github.io/ (perhaps it could be made into html and committed to the website repository?)

Some things:

- I believe it should be "QUIT GAME", not "QUITE GAME" :P

- The name for the "Pain Bringer" was changed. It's now "Pestmeister", the "Pain Lord" I'm not so sure if it was renamed or not, it's just a placeholder for now (the new one is supposed to be a lizard named "Nukeptile"... I honestly don't like the concept, personally).

Edited by Ferk

Hi there! I just corrected the text, feel free to find more typos :) I'm not a native speaker.

I enjoyed a lot playing Freedoom and wanted to contribute with something. I guess the original intent of the project was to be an alternative for testing and for allowing people who never played Doom to experience something like the original game, so a manual would be something they propably would need.

I have found another possible typo, where it says "Freedoom phase 2, the exiting sequel to Freedoom phase 1"

Shouldn't it be "exciting"?

Anyway, nice work.

This is nice work. Would you consider donating the sources for the project itself?

I don't have a larger, better image to use, so I stretched it. I had made the manual for fun, so I didn't pay much attention to it, THEN it ocurred to me that maybe I should post it here to see if someone likes it. I'll search the forums to see if a find a better one.

Hi, since i like freedoom and the project itself a lot i want to contribute, but since i majorly suck at drawing stuff, i decided to contribute by pointing out grammatical flaws (or personal nitpicks :P) i came across in this PDF:

Probably important:

• Page 3, right under "Using Freedoom menus":  "you’ll star t in the first Level of the";
  • Page 5, on the Keys under "On-Screen Information": "to open doors and activte switches";
  • Still Page 5, on the Elevators: "are automatic and will active themselves when", not exactly a grammatical mistake, but maybe activate would make more sense here;
  • Page 7, on the Exploding Barrels under "Dangerous Freedoom enviroments": "Shot them a few times to make" (yeah i really think you should replace that with Shoot);
  • Page 10, on Pain Lord (I thought this guy was supposed to be called "nukeptyle"? anyway): "Lord’s armor is twice the more resistant." (personal nitpick, but "has twice the resistance." or "is twice as resistant." sounds much better IMO);
  • Still Page 10, on Summoner: "It is bad to let them live, it is bad to kill them as well." (Another personal nitpick, but maybe try "It'll cause a mess when killed, but it's much better than to let them flying around.")

Okay, this are some other nitpicks i had, some aren't important (at least to me) at all (but still i'd like to see what do you think of these):

Spoiler
  • Page 3, on the TIP: not a grammatical mistake, but maybe you should clarify that when you die you either go back to the start of the level with whatever you had when starting it or go back to the last save on the current level acting as a check point;
  • Page 7, at the end of the last sentence in Exploding Barrels: "and kill some bad guys too, hopefully." (may be a huge nitpick you can ignore, but it sounds better just as "and kill some bad guys, hopefully");
  • Page 7, on the "Slime and other toxic wastes": "In fact, it will hurt you, so try" (hurt doesn't sound bad enough, try maybe just saying it will melt you);
  • Still Page 7, right under "Health and Armor": "armor to avoid becoming one more zombie." (just try another instead of one more);
  • Page 8, on Hazard Suits under "Power Ups": waste pool "or Lava pits." (take the caps off of lava, the irony is strong with my post);
  • Still Page 8, on Tactical survey maps: "whole Level, even" (Same small problem as the above);
  • Page 9, on the TIP: "from a different species" (not a grammatical error, but monsters don't need to be from different species to engage in combat, well maybe barons of hell don't fight each other by normal means, maybe try "specially if they're from different species");
  • Page 10, on Flame Bringer: maybe you should tell the players that they need to get out ASAP of it's line of sight once they're about to attack.

Edited by Mistah Jorge : Some small grammar mistake i guess

Hey, thanks for reading the whole thing! I think all the grammatical mistakes should be fixed now, but if you find more let me know. As for the nitpicks, I added some of your suggestions but left these as they are:

• Tip on page 3: This was made trying to emulate what the originial manual says about dying:"Save your game and save it often. When you die, you're back at the beginning of the level, toting that little pistol again. That ain't good, especially after you progress to some of the tougher levels." So I kept it like that.
  • About Page 7, Toxic wastes: "Melting" sounds to me like insta-kill, and sometimes walking on damaging floors makes little to no damage if you're fast enough. Maybe changing it to a more neutral "damage"?
  • Page 10, Flame Bringer: Another original Doom stylistic choice. It makes no mention of how the Arch-Vile projectiles work, so I kept it like that.

Anyways, thanks for helping me to improve it.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:09 AM, Ferk said:

That's a really good idea :)

Maybe something like this should be also generated through git and maybe even included in the download, or at least be part of the website at https://freedoom.github.io/ (perhaps it could be made into html and committed to the website repository?)

Some things:

- I believe it should be "QUIT GAME", not "QUITE GAME" :P

- The name for the "Pain Bringer" was changed. It's now "Pestmeister", the "Pain Lord" I'm not so sure if it was renamed or not, it's just a placeholder for now (the new one is supposed to be a lizard named "Nukeptile"... I honestly don't like the concept, personally).

I prefer the names of Pain Bringer and Pain Lord which will hold a place in my heart, it just sounds better than PEZtboi and Nukenewt.

Edited by Starman the Blaziken : Forgot to add nukenewt :P