Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

1 minute ago, kristus said:

Why is having a BFG in DM detrimental to quality?

I mean it's not, just still slightly salty.

I really have a lot to say about this game.

First of all I'll talk about the positives, The look of the game, I think that Sigil is a beautiful looking game, I think Romero did a really Solid Job in Capturing the Hell's look and it gives me the "episode 4" Vibe look and feel, which is my favorite episode in the Ultimate Doom, The game is much more well detailed, I like the Evil Eye Concept in these maps, the Lighting is really solid, Romero just Outdone himself on this one, and I really think that this game is better looking than all the other episodes that came before it.

Also The new music is really good too, although I really can't pick up a favorite I think that my favorite music is E5M8, It doesn't necessarily fit in as the final map,but it's a really good music on it's own.

Now we talk about the Gameplay, This is were things gets nasty, The first three maps were really fun and it got me to the mood, but the game started getting harder and it became less fun after that, it doesn't mean that I hate hard maps, quite the opposite I really enjoy harder maps that tests your skill and patience, but The level designs suffers from major balancing issues through out the way.

E5M4 is were the game started to take a nosedive in gameplay, one of the areas have you traverse into an area with lots of Crushing Ceilings that are annoying to get through, while another area had you take a route throughout a bunch of floors that sinks into a lava, while the Yellow Key area on one of the sides at the end of the passage, and this area is difficult to kill every enemy in it without getting damage, because yes the sank floors comes back up, but you still take damage.

E5M6 and E5M9 Were the worst ones in my opinion, E5M6 was really hard but less fun because of the lighting problems, the map was too dark that I could barely see anything and I was having my ass kicked that it's getting annoying, E5M9 has it's own problems, this map is filled with damaging floors that it's annoying to explore throughout the map, and the Cyberdemon Fight in this map was really bad and not endering at all,for the record you can't 100% the map with a Pistol Start because of the limited amount of the Rockets in this map.

E5M7 is a little better, but the last bits were pretty bad, there is a part of the map where a passage where it's center is a bottomless pit of lava where it's hard to dodge a projectile from Cacodemons and lost souls unless you fall into the pit and die, the last area is really annoying where the areas are Clusterphobic to the brim where you can't dodge without taking a hit, also the limited ammo and health doesn't help it's case either.

With that being said, I think that E5M8 was a really fun final map, I wished the other maps were as fun as this map, it doesn't frustrates me, it's not a Convoluted mess like the others, and I wished that there were a balance between Ammunation and Health, beacause the episode suffers from a much limited health problems.

My Overall Rating for Sigil it's 5 out of 10 , Could have been better, I think why I thought it was less fun becasue I played the game on the UV difficulty, I should've tried the game on the HMP Difficulty, perhaps I'm going to play this game again once I understand how I should play this game to understand how to beat it. 

On 5/28/2019 at 1:47 AM, noisebloom said:

Primus? Like, the band?

Since Buckethead did the soundtrack to Sigil, I should probably mention that he was in a supergroup with Les Claypool from Primus (and a couple others) called Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains. Their album The Big Eyeball in the Sky is phenomenal.

That is all.

Thanks for that recommendation.

Civvie uploaded his review! I wont watch it yet because i dont want spoilers though

Another random question: Is there a more elegant way to load SIGIL and SIGIL SHREDS (Buckethead soundtrack) besides dragging the two onto GZDoom? It would be nice to just double-click a single executable... I'm guessing there's a CLI command to do it that I can add to a batch script, perhaps? Or another way? 

12 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

Another random question: Is there a more elegant way to load SIGIL and SIGIL SHREDS (Buckethead soundtrack) besides dragging the two onto GZDoom? It would be nice to just double-click a single executable... I'm guessing there's a CLI command to do it that I can add to a batch script, perhaps? Or another way? 

gzdoom -iwad doom.wad -file sigil.wad SIGIL_SHREDS.wad

Something like that.  Adjust the command for your specific file locations.  Create a shortcut by right clicking on the Gzdoom executable and selecting Create Shortcut.  In the new shortcut, right click properties, then select the Shortcut tab.  Insert the above command in the "target" field.   I don't have the siglshreds wad so change that name to the exact filename you have.  

Edited by Master O

24 minutes ago, Black Star said:

A question for those who ordered one of the boxes: have you gotten yours yet?

Yep, I got mine several days ago (Standard Edition).

32 minutes ago, Black Star said:

Nah. I live in the UK though so it took its sweet ass time before even entering the country. Now it's in the hands of Hermes, who I suspect will deliver it safely onto my roof. Remember, it only looks like he's carelessly throwing your package without paying any attention to what he's doing.

52 minutes ago, sincity2100 said:

E5M7 is a little better, but the last bits were pretty bad, there is a part of the map where a passage where it's center is a bottomless pit of lava where it's hard to dodge a projectile from Cacodemons and lost souls unless you fall into the pit and die, the last area is really annoying where the areas are Clusterphobic to the brim where you can't dodge without taking a hit, also the limited ammo and health doesn't help it's case either.

To add on to that I was definitely not a fan of that thin maze with lost souls in it. Quite boring really.

10 minutes ago, MeatSafeMurderer said:

Nah. I live in the UK though so it took its sweet ass time before even entering the country. Now it's in the hands of Hermes, who I suspect will deliver it safely onto my roof. Remember, it only looks like he's carelessly throwing your package without paying any attention to what he's doing.

What delivery date were you given?

12 minutes ago, MeatSafeMurderer said:

You lucky one. Mine was sent on 21th, and was still in the US on the 29th, according to the tracking. I wonder if they hired some snail to deliver the Box. And my Beast Box isn't even send out.

7 minutes ago, Black Star said:

What delivery date were you given?

I wasn't. If I had to guess though I'd say it'll arrive in the next day or so which would make it around a week and a half from the shipping email to actually getting it in my hands.

1 hour ago, Black Star said:

I have not yet. I ordered the Beast Box and have had no word of a shipping date. I'm not that concerned yet as others have not received theirs yet either. I live in the US by the way.

Well since I guess this is the post for Sigil, might as well show my first impressions:

Map E5M1 - Okay start. Not the strongest opening map for a DooM episode but it's no where near E4M1 in terms of terribleness. (I'd rate it below hanger but above E2M1). Difficulty is kinda high but I never felt like it was unfair. 8/10

MAP E5M2 - Oh boy... this map introduces some pretty bad problems that haunt the rest of Sigil. Firstly, forcing the player to fight Barons withouta  plasma rifle, BFG9000 or rocket launcher. Secondly, Map 24's biggest problem is on FULL FORCE in this episode. Yup! Get ready for tight walkways g a l o r e . Personally Map24 of DooM 2 did it better... and that map isn't super great (not terrible, just not great). 4/10

MAP E5M3 - So yeah, more baron fights without the rocket launcher or Plasma Rifle or BFG, and some SERIOUSLY bad level designs. Near the end I was on like 45-50 hp so I thought "Hmm... I need some health... better backtrack so I don't die too easily." Except the path behind me was all damage floors and I only found 1 stimpack. Needless to say I burnt through all the health items already due to how harsh this map is. Not to mention more balancing! yay.... >_> 2/10

MAP E5M4 - Three paths, 1 for each key. Good idea wouldn't you say? Ehh not really... The left path was fine, nothing to write home about except for how hard it was to find the eye "switch". Yellow key path decided I needed to run through a series of collapsing floors JUST to grab a key... whilst cacodemons, imps, shotgunners and lost sould are attacking me, bare in mind I barely had any HP by this point still. Blue key? OH BOY was that one bad! Firstly, the shotgunner trap was quite a dick move and not at all well implemented, but if that wasn't bad enough the following crusher room has some rediculous level designs ever. AVOID THIS MAP. 0/10

MAP E5M5 - It was at this point I gave up playing fair and I just cheated. I'm sorry but with how sadistic the previous levels were, I gave up being fair. As a result, the following maps are hard to properly judge but I'll do my best. This map is confusing as all hell and to be honest, didn't capture my attention at all. 3/10

MAP E5M6 - FINALLY A PLASMA RIFLE!!!! But yeah... nothing new to say here. Well, except for the fact the red key door doesn't seem to open at once but are all individual which is dumb since just opening 1 or 2 is all you need to run past. :l The "arena" after it looks fun but I didn't see much health so I wouldn't bother. 4/10

MAP E5M7 - Almost there and hoo boy this has some issues! If it weren't for the fact I accidentally found the red door, I would've been lost for AGES. Poor communication to the player. Not only that but the ravine at the end is just sadistic. Tight path with multiple lost souls and a caco or two. REALLY? Come on! Lighten the load! 2/10

MAP E5M8 - Oh hey look! John Romero CAN make good maps! This is the ONLY half-way decent map here (besides E5M1) so thankfully this does end higher than a 2. It's not super memorable but you do fight both previous episode bosses... meaning that's 3 spider masterminds... Shame I kinda wanted a new boss to at least make things interesting. Good map, good music. 7/10

MAP E5M9 - I did warp to it since I'm not interested in going through all of *Censored for people who want it to remain a secret* to find it. What do I think of it? Well you know how frustrating some of the earlier maps were? Well... Imagine being forced to deal with a cybie without ANY appropriate weapony, 10 health, barely enough ammo for 2 barons and to top it off, have a half damaged green armour and you've got my experience with this map. Also pretty badly designed. 1/10

So yeah. Sigil. The guy who brought E1M1 - E1M8 + E1M9 (more or less) brings us Sigil! A collection of hard maps, unfair challanges and the generic "overly detailed" problem I usually see in DooM maps. You can make a terrible looking map with a fantastic gameplay and you can make a gorgeous map play like someone being tortured.

But let's be fair, this isn't the worse DooM wad I've played, far from it. The veiny hell detail really stands out and the exit design, if very confusing at first, is unique. It's just a shame it's so tarnished.

Where does it rank on the DooM episode listing? Ironically it's already in the correct spot. Below episode 4.

If you want to experience the un-official episode 5 and 6, play TNT and Plutonia.

Regarding soundfont for the MIDI soundtrack:

I know that everyone has favorites here, but I use the 8MBGM Enhanced Soundfont which is based on the 8MBGM Creative soundfont. I found it to be absolutely reliable and convincing in all my favorite DOS games, especially Doom, Heretic, Duke3D or Dark Forces. It's also doing great with Jimmy's tracks even though it's just a 27mb soundfont.

whoa! Downloaded this today and beat a couple levels and died in map 3, Cages of the Damned. I was happy to get it running on basically every port i have. But how do I get rid of the mouse-move in prboom? I feel like these maps have layers. Very nice layouts and fun gameplay- at least on normal.

<3

I really really liked it a lot, excellent music, some awesome set pieces and some very cool level design, except for the very end, the last boss battle seemed very lack luster and anti-climactic.  I also found the secret level organically so I was very happy about that!

So how many prequels does Doom II have now?

Original ending: Inferno
Special edition: Thy Flesh Consumed
Director's cut: The Lost Episode (Xaser)
Extended edition: Si6il

Anymore I'm missing? BTW in my fanon (fan canon) TLE is, or was, right after TFC and before D2, but since TLE has Doom II monsters it would have to come after Si6il, which would have to come after TFC. Confused yet? This is a semi-shitpost I'm sorry.

E: The thought of Hell japing Doomguy this much is really realistic though. It's Hell, it's suppose to play dirty and drive its occupants mad!

E2: Need we forget, Twilight Descends and Threshold of Pain from PSX, acting as yet another extension to Ultimate Doom, but with notably more Doom II monsters, and potentially the super shotgun if acquired beforehand.

Many people seem to feel that E5M8 is anticlimactic finish but I think it is supposed to be more of a reward for surviving E5M7. E5M8 is just so much fun for me. It seems to be a map where you are supposed to run past the monsters instead of killing them, even the last moments seem to be about just running past spider mastermind and cyberdemon. It seems to me that there are many moments in Sigil where Romero wanted the player to just avoid certain monsters instead of fighting them and E5M8 is a great way to finish with that.

I have now completed Sigil four times, twice with prboom-plus, twice with gzdoom. Two times of those time I did it with HMP and two times with UV. I think it is now safe to say that I do really like Sigil. I think only E5M7 has some bad parts, other levels are very good and fun to play.

In doom, assuming you "play to win", as a player you really shouldn't be killing every enemy you see.  Every fight should be thought of as a strategic trade-off.  I could defeat this enemy, and the next few areas of the level will be safer, but it's going to cost me ammo, and I'm risking taking damage if I stick around here longer.

Barons are one of the best cases of this, they're a huge drain on ammo.  In my opinion you usually should rarely fight barons in doom in general.  They're slow and easy to run past anyway.

When we think about making a video game "difficult" or "challenging", we usually think about the raw skill aspect--are you able to control your character well enough to accomplish something.  But there's also the concept of "strategic" difficulty--are you able to adapt your playstyle according to the varying situations you're given...

There's taste involved though: I think it's totally ok to dislike a wad because it has the type of difficulty you don't like.  (But also, I don't think it makes sense to say that a wad is bad for it...)

A thing I'm liking about Sigil, is that early on, it tries hard to signal you that you shouldn't kill every enemy in this wad.  There are at least 3 moments in E5M2 where the game is practically begging you not to fight various enemies.  The entirety of E5M3 has a lot of strategic decisions as well.

---

(I know, I know:  not everybody simply "plays to win", many players prefer to play for other goals, like 100% kills, or speed, or 100% everything, or pacifist... But in my opinion, maps should primarily be balanced for "playing to win"; and players should expect to get creative to do the other categories--e.g., you might have to trigger some infighting.  The mapper should make sure it's theoretically possible to do, and that's all they need to do, I think.  No idea if Sigil has done its due diligence here personally.)

1 hour ago, Lila Feuer said:

So how many prequels does Doom II have now?

Original ending: Inferno
Special edition: Thy Flesh Consumed
Director's cut: The Lost Episode (Xaser)
Extended edition: Si6il

Heh, I appreciate the shoutout, but i feel like Sigil's gotta be the Director's Cut and Lost Episode is more like one of those unauthorized fan edits. :P

3 hours ago, noisebloom said:

You can edit the gzdoom ini file and add them there.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/How_to_autoload_files

Anyone notice anything different after the 1.1 update? In E5M2 at the end of the level, where the health pack was that lowers the wall to the exit now has a health bonus (potion) and it has a bright glowing orb around it. 

I'm actually towards the end of the same level in Pr+ so I'll check that out but curious to know if anyone else has noticed this, or anything else?

Screenshot_2019-05-31-21-59-55.png