Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sean_leal

Doom WAD files in text format

I am certain that when I started making Doom DM levels I saw a program that would build a level from a text file. The text file needed to describe the level sector by sector, linedef by linedef, vertex by vertex in a specific readable format.

I was reminded of this when I saw a text version of the Unreal Tournament level I built! That got me thinking that if there was any way at all of exporting my PWAD file out to this kind of readable format, I could write a utility to convert it (in a rudimentary way at first) to Unreal.

I have searched and searched the Internet to no avail. Does anyone remember this or know anything about a readable text format for PWAD files? If I can get this going, I'm willing to spend considerable time to creating a tool that will do the conversion.

>>> SORRY for the cross-posting of this question... I put it in "WADs & Mods" when it's more appropriate to be here. <<<

I am certain that when I started making Doom DM levels I saw a program that would build a level from a text file. The text file needed to describe the level sector by sector, linedef by linedef, vertex by vertex in a specific readable format.

I was reminded of this when I saw a text version of the Unreal Tournament level I built! That got me thinking that if there was any way at all of exporting my PWAD file out to this kind of readable format, I could write a utility to convert it (in a rudimentary way at first) to Unreal.

I have searched and searched the Internet to no avail. Does anyone remember this or know anything about a readable text format for PWAD files? If I can get this going, I'm willing to spend considerable time to creating a tool that will do the conversion.

sean_leal said:

>>> SORRY for the cross-posting of this question... I put it in "WADs & Mods" when it's more appropriate to be here. <<<

Mods are here to take good care of that.

Quoted from TRINITY2.TXT:
So I wrote a program to convert the texture definition
entries in the main Doom WAD to an ASCII format, and another which
recreated the binary definition entries from the ASCII format.

Could this have anything to do with it ... ?

There is a program called wadlc in the xwadtools distribution. From its man page:

The program takes a text input file, and creates a WAD file containing data for a new level map. The output WAD needs to be run through a node builder like bsp.

I believe this will do what you want, but it is a command line program and you have to build it yourself so you'll need a C compiler.