Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

30 minutes ago, Rathori said:

I think a lot of people who complain about ammo starvation in SIGIL forget infighting is a thing in DOOM. A lot meatwall fights have both cacos and barons in them - I mean, it's pretty clear what to do there to conserve ammo ;)

You can often berserk punch or saw the barons while they're dealing with cacos, spending literally 0 ammo.

Yeah, but way the fights start you don't really have a lot of room to maneuver between them, so the first instinct is to shoot, which messes up the infighting. You only know to do that when you've died, but I don't like that you have to die to learn that.
 But even without the infighting I think there's enough ammo anyway, you just got to punch some of the weaker enemies with berzerk once a while.

8 minutes ago, pcorf said:

Yep there are 10 health bonuses there. It is a bit like a stimpack that will get you past 100% health.

@WH-Wilou84 and you @pcorf said there are (5-10)  health bonuses there but I only see one, am assuming they are layered on top of each other lol in Pr+ my health read 108% and jumped to 118% are other's seeing them laid out next to each other and I just happen to see them grouped into one? 

7 minutes ago, Welfare Prodigy said:

@WH-Wilou84 and you @pcorf said there are (5-10)  health bonuses there but I only see one, am assuming they are layered on top of each other lol in Pr+ my health read 108% and jumped to 118% are other's seeing them laid out next to each other and I just happen to see them grouped into one? 

They are layered on top of each other, for everyone. It's kind of common.

stacking multiple items on top of each other is something that you can do with a map, so that while you may only see the one sprite, you still pick all of them up when walking over them (and of course, in GZDoom, the dynamic lights will be much more intense due to there being 10 of them instead of just 1). while it may be less health acquired from a medkit technically, since you just picked up a soulsphere, +10 health that goes over the limit is much more useful at that time than +25 health that requires you to be below 100 (and as many have stated before, it makes it less confusing that you have to step on there to lower the way to the exit).

25 minutes ago, pulkmees said:

Yeah, but way the fights start you don't really have a lot of room to maneuver between them, so the first instinct is to shoot, which messes up the infighting. You only know to do that when you've died, but I don't like that you have to die to learn that.

Tbh, my experience has been different, maybe that's just a difference in play style: I like infighting and it's a natural thing for me to try and do in a fight. But anyway, even if you aggro one monster you can still position yourself in such way that he'll hit other enemies and I'm pretty sure when they retaliate, their attacks can take the aggro off you, provided you didn't do too much damage to the target before.

Most of the maps do have enough room to maneuver, IMHO. I think I only had problems in pistol start E5M5, which has two rooms where you can easily get cornered by cacos if you're not careful and don't have a chaingun to keep them at a distance.

18 minutes ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

stacking multiple items on top of each other is something that you can do with a map, so that while you may only see the one sprite, you still pick all of them up when walking over them (and of course, in GZDoom, the dynamic lights will be much more intense due to there being 10 of them instead of just 1). while it may be less health acquired from a medkit technically, since you just picked up a soulsphere, +10 health that goes over the limit is much more useful at that time than +25 health that requires you to be below 100 (and as many have stated before, it makes it less confusing that you have to step on there to lower the way to the exit).

@Kira and @Viscra Maelstrom thank you for the explanation! I hate sounding dumb but I never knew things like that could be done. I have never delved into the inner workings of a game that has captivated me since 1995 (maybe it's time I should lol) but thank you for the help. It's appreciated!

I didn't mean slauhgtermap, but kinda Plutonia way but modernized and Romero-way where there would be a lot of cannon fodder enemies in every square meter like pistol and shotgun guys and dozens of imp groups trying to attack from every corner. so I meant kinda 1000ish monsters, you can do a big coherent final level without being it slaughtermap style. But whatever I think everybody has a vision what could be a proper epic ending of Ultimate Doom, but usually it's something else than couple of dark corridors where you don't even need to fight against spider and cybie, and if you fought it was easy peacy with BFG. I think plutonia secret map had more cybies on one level. Heh...

Looks like half the people doesn't like the UV and sigil overally,and half the people likes the Sigil so trying to suggest that it's only me is weird.

It's fine as long as we're getting more episodes later to fill most of the dissapointed souls and take critique by heart. Cramped nightmare doom3ish levels are fine as you provide some variety and different level design, it got pretty exhausting to find out that Sigil is Perfect Hatred II whole episode and absolut nothing else.

Also there's no need to kill cybie in shotgun on Sigil. And challenge is fun and good, but challenge based to search for secrets to make things even isn't fun. In original episodes you just actually made game easy if you found secrets, without secrets game were normally and still doable.

"Have you played Thy Flesh?"  - No, there's no hint at all in my posts that I've ever played it.

Edited by eyelid

I like the baphomet but I don't like the demonized version of it which popular misconception is to blame for. it wasn't supposed to be any kind of representation of the devil or anything demonic.

11 hours ago, Xaser said:

Heh, I appreciate the shoutout, but i feel like Sigil's gotta be the Director's Cut and Lost Episode is more like one of those unauthorized fan edits. :P

My hot take/headcanon/whatever cool kids like having these days:

The Lost Episode comes between TFC and Sigil. You were getting to Earth, but got lost in some weird astral dimension halfway and exit back in Hell, and that's this bastard Baphomet's fault! Now you gotta shut his face so you can get back to Earth for realsies this time.

I will admit that this is largely motivated by the thought that Si666il obviously wants to the the sixth episode, not the fifth.

2 hours ago, Rimantas said:

E5M2 100% is really possible on UV without losing all ammo. Cyberdemon didn't require ammo at all, two Cacos and Baron in last room didn't need much ammo too.

Of course, you just grab secret berserk and boop to death everything that isn't Cyberdemon.

10 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

I wonder if John might create a new Doom 2 wad next.

you wonder? this is my hope :D. D2 >>>>> D1

when he was asked why he used only D1 textures he said because it is a Ep5 wad. if he does maps for D2 he will use these assets. so we can hope :D! Gotcha 2.0, circle of death 2.0, the living end 2.0. damn that would be awesome...

(I know there are people out there who prefer doom, but hey you have sigil now, let d2 fanboys have their dreams come true now :))

1 minute ago, termrork said:

you wonder? this is my hope :D. D2 >>>>> D1

when he was asked why he used only D1 textures he said because it is a Ep5 wad. if he does maps for D2 he will use these assets. so we can hope :D! Gotcha 2.0, circle of death 2.0, the living end 2.0. damn that would be awesome...

(I know there are people out there who prefer doom, but hey you have sigil now, let d2 fanboys have their dreams come true now :))

Dead Simple 2.0: Dead Complex!

28 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

His response to this has been "maybe" depending on the reception of SIGIL.

In the Behind the Scenes video on the USB drive, Romero says:

[Buckethead's] original track is incredible, and the selection of Pikes that I used are some of my favorites. But there are so many more I could have chosen! Ah well, that will have to wait for another time.

I interpreted this as hinting at another WAD in the future.

45 minutes ago, Avoozl said:

That would be nice to see.

3 minutes ago, Suitepee said:

That would be nice to see.

Agreed.

I have to say, one of the things I was thinking throughout this wad was, "Man, this room would have been so much better with an ARCH VILE."

Not kidding by the way.

54 minutes ago, Beginner said:

Of course, you just grab secret berserk and boop to death everything that isn't Cyberdemon.

Or u can kill everything else using ur ammo and just telefrag the cyberdemon once he gets close to the edge.

57 minutes ago, Beginner said:

I have found berserk after i killed everyone and i'm not very good with fists. I killed Baron from red skull cage with very accurate Chaingun, Shotgun shooting. Two Cacos with Baron did a big job by themselves.

2 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

telefrag the cyberdemon

I can't imagine another way in that map.

1 hour ago, eyelid said:

so I meant kinda 1000ish monsters

That's still 5 times the number of monsters in the one Plutonia level that actually kinda resembles your idea.

Also people can dislike Sigil for entirely different reasons than yours, come on...

54 minutes ago, Gunstar Green said:

His response to this has been "maybe" depending on the reception of SIGIL.

He's said the reception has been incredible...so...Half Life 3 DOOM 2 wad confirmed?

12 minutes ago, Kira said:

That's still 5 times the number of monsters in the one Plutonia level that actually kinda resembles your idea.

Also people can dislike Sigil for entirely different reasons than yours, come on...

I think I listed earlier all the reasons, like ending, levels, skill level, lack of ammo and health, so haven't read yet entirely different reasons at all.

1 minute ago, amackert said:

Git gud, yo.

I dunno what you mean, I've completed sigil on UV and really don't care, but at least that should make my points more valid than people who can't complete it on UV as you can't use argument "you just suck at playing".

The gimmick in this wad is shooting switches that use the Evil Eye sprite for their markers. This is a mechanic I don't see a lot of wads use at all.

Not that it's a bad thing but it looks like Romero took that idea and ran with it.

Of course i think that a Doom II megawad would be awesome but for some reason i feel like John Romero has fonder memories of working on the original Doom than Doom II although i could be wrong. Seems like it was a simpler time as id Software was still relatively small and Doom was still totally new.

Also, wasn't id Software expanding around the time of Doom II's development? Not to mention that Romero only made six out of the 32 maps in Doom II. Sounds like a hectic period for id Software if you ask me... (if they were expanding that is; also getting a deal with GT Interactive to sell Doom II, still supporting/releasing patches for Doom, possibly thinking about their next game ect.)

11 minutes ago, eyelid said:

I dunno what you mean, I've completed sigil on UV and really don't care, but at least that should make my points more valid than people who can't complete it on UV as you can't use argument "you just suck at playing".

Gmanlives also completed it on UV. Doesn't mean I think his points are valid. Fundamentally it sounds like you wanted a different experience than the one Sigil has (or was ever going to have) to offer. That's fine but don't push your opinions on how it should be onto everyone else, some of whom like it just fine the way it is.

I for one am happy to see some more oldschool Romero content.

Edited by MeatSafeMurderer

7 hours ago, EANB said:

I saw some complaints that there isn't enough ammo to get 100% kills on map 9 from a pistol start, but it is definitely possible. If you save all the cells and rockets for the cyberdemon it should only need a few shotgun hits to finish off. The 2 barons in the map can easily be taken care of with infighting and many of the imps and demons can be berserked down.

It requires more than a typical amount of planning and advanced knowledge of the map, but you can't expect to get 100% your first time through most maps.

This. There's actually more than enough ammo to max the level even if you don't employ ammo-saving techniques (provided you find all the secrets), like this sloppy demo shows:

sigil_e5m9_uvmax.zip

Played through PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4, -complevel 3 -file SIGIL_COMPAT.wad