Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

SIGIL: Downsides to using compatibility WADs?

I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to games like Doom, so I like to use source ports faithful to the original version of the game (Crispy Doom, Chocolate Doom, etc.). I recently got Sigil with the buckethead soundtrack, and it seems that in order to run it on Crispy Doom, I have to use the compatibility WADs (SIGL_COMPAT, SIGIL_SHREDS_COMPAT).

Am I missing out on anything by using those instead of the regular wads?

14 hours ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

If you want the MP3 soundtrack you'll need at least PrBoom+. That's not related to the COMPAT WADs though, and yeah the placement is the only difference.

As far as I know, Crispy Doom have MP3 support.

Crispy does support MP3 playback if you set your music source to native midi. 

You can use the normal sigil.wad with Crispy Doom too. You just have to idclev to E5.

12 minutes ago, fabian said:

Crispy does support MP3 playback if you set your music source to native midi. 

Kind of unintuitive that a MIDI setting would affect MP3 playback, even if I think I understand why it works.

9 minutes ago, Gez said:

Kind of unintuitive that a MIDI setting would affect MP3 playback, even if I think I understand why it works.

Yes we need to fix this (in choco)

One side effect of SIGIL_COMPAT.WAD I only now realized exists - the built-in DeHackEd patch that is designed to prevent E3M8 from ending prematurely upon the Spiderdemon's death, also prevents beating E4M8 normally, because now the Spiderdemon's death will not trigger sector 666 to expose the exit. Assuming, of course, you are using a port that supports DEHACKED lumps. And that you want to play E4 with SIGIL_COMPAT loaded for some reason.