Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alper002

Shoot-Switch Hell

This is the first map I've ever finished and released. I feel proud of myself to have actually finished a map once, and the experience was fun!

The map is in boom format, but doesn't work in original Boom because it uses MBF's transfer sky special. I tested it only in PRBoom+.

It's a single map for Doom 2, that replaces MAP01 and supports difficulties. You are not supposed to be able to aim up or down intentionally, because it may break some things..

It is also singleplayer-only.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

doom00.png.f6e08c4fdaf5549ba875a373c935976b.png

doom01.png.f90404057e307a6c0d4fe2de98e65f8d.png

doom02.png.bde76b9182bbc9b4c1be586959c132e4.png

What you saw up there was the original post I made, before @Suitepee played my map on stream.

Since I didn't know the exit didn't quite work in GZDoom until that stream, I made an update to the map that fixes the issue.

I then tested the map in GZDoom myself to make sure I fixed the bug, and I did!

The new version also makes a few small changes to the map, but not many.

Download version 1.1 Here!

Download the version Suitepee played here!

But honestly, why would you play an objectively worse version of the map?

Since someone on-stream asked... The map does not work in crispy doom. The map uses generalized linedefs, which crispy doesn't support.

Credits:

Thank you @AD_79 for playtesting the map!

I also whant to thank @Jimmy for making the textures that I used!

The music is E2M9/E3M1 from the original Doom, whose composer is Bobby Prince.

Edited by Alper002

Played, was a blast. It's the sort of map where it's possible to maniacally run past stuff until you get good weapons for what is currently in the room. Someone inclined to clear every room before they progress will have to deal with potentially chaingunning a bunch of cacos early and plinking down a manc or two as well -- but in this case, I wouldn't be the one to complain. Someone more 'survival-oriented' might find that a lot of the combat involves stuff scattered messily in various arrays in front of you, often at chokepoints early on -- but the map's resource balance allowed aggression so I wasn't in that mood except for a few short instances after doing something dumb and almost dying. Again, a lot of stuff pointed at supporting aggression and then rewarded it with more efficient clears, so I think the map did a good enough job at pushing one away from boring themselves, but it's hard to please everyone. 

Misc notes:

- SG secret early isn't that valuable, but whatever. It's the radsuit secret that felt like not much of anything. You can pick up a few dropped hitscanner guns 'safely' but you don't need that ammo anyway; and the run to the lift is pretty short. 

- The visible sound tunnels on those lifts are very distracting. I thought they were secret shootswitches I was missing, especially temping belief given the map's theme and the presence of secret shootswitches elsewhere. 

- The secret SSG is quite easy to trigger accidentally while fighting stuff in that area. Placement could use reworking if that is to be avoided (not that I'd complain about a free secret SSG!). 

- That vile in the big outdoor area is cool to evade but irritating when it's time to actually kill it, in a way no other monster in the map is.

- Idk about that 'shoot eye' sector-scribbled alphabetical message. Oddly 4th-wall-breaking. The 'eye' is already a pictogram, so maybe a drawn pistol (lol) would work better alongside it. 

- Visuals are rough in a lot of areas. The eye props were pretty cool though, especially the last one.  

Edited by rdwpa

@Suitepee hasn't finished streaming yet, but I have made an update that fixes a bug he encountered during the stream.

It also makes a few small changes in some places. Nothing major though.

Here it is!