Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bunge

Two WADS for your enjoyment.

http://homepage.mac.com/bunge/FileSharing1.html

A lurker here....

I'm currently sharing two old single player Doom II wads I created a number of years ago. I've always enjoyed the wad reviews on this page and was always too lazy to get mine put on ftp.cdrom.com or wherever.

I'd like to make a couple of points. First, these wads were designed with one intent: to kill you. Not by putting 50 CyberDemons in a little room, but with ingenuity and (hopefully) some class. A few friends and I used to get together and make wads for each other solely so we could watch each other die in the levels we made. So, some of this is (hopefully) sadistic.

Second, these are old, old-school wads. They have no special features and shouldn't require a port of any kind. Some big rooms might be helped by a port though. This also means though, that they were built WITHOUT jumping in mind. As a matter of fact, that could/would screw up the continuity of the levels and render them impossible to finish.

They were designed to kill you, not be pretty. If you're the type of doomer that likes to use a chainsaw, not because you're out of ammo, but because you like to use a chainsaw, then try these levels. If you like the gritty, dirty original graphics, then you'll appreciate this level. If you like some interesting level design, then you should like these levels. We tried to be sick bastards to each other and I hope it worked.

One last note. There are different styles of players, and all are welcome. But, me and my friends always play Doom the same way. The object is to kill all the monsters and find all the secrets no matter what. To us, it never mattered if you could finish a level in 10 minutes or 10 seconds. If you didn't get those 100 percents at the end of the level, you might as well have died.

Last but not least, Dead.wad was my first wad. It might still have a little glitch or two, but it shouldn't have anything major. A#1 was originally created on a 486 DOS machine that couldn't handle all that I had envisioned. So I had to arbitrarily cut off construction with about 10% to go. Ultimately I did start to make a final version when I had a better computer (a Mac with Hellmaker) but by then it was kind of too late.

If anyone wants to tweak these, feel free. If anyone were interested in finishing A#1 for me, I have a version that's stunted I might share. It's got one feature I had to cut out that I'm dying to see being used....

Otherwise I hope you have fun.

-bunge

They will work on a PC, even on a 486. I just realized that they are "stuffed" instead of "zipped", but a modern PC should still be able to open them. I'll put up some unstuffed versions just in case....

Interesting levels.

As you said, they're not as pretty as they could be, but the gameplay is nice. The ammo placement in Dead was pretty good. Each time I thought "Hey, I need some ammo," there it was.

LOTS of secrets in there, eh? You could spend days trying to find them all. I managed 80% on the last run I did.

Say, would you mind if I put these wads up for download so the people over at my demosite could make demos of it?

Feel free. I'm glad you liked (?) them because they took some work. As for ammo, I tried really hard to get a good balance of monsters, health and ammo. It took many hours of playtesting.

80%? You can do better....

Cheers!

PS Would you mind sharing the link to your site? Thanks.

A little criticism of dead.wad

While this one was a joy to play I managed to discover one minor no-no. The level exit is not properly marked.

I, for one, like my level exits marked with an exit sign (or other clearly discernible feature) so I know if I'm about to exit the level.

I mentioned this because it is such a trivial thing to add that it should prove no real problem.

Yes, they're good levels for gameplay. The secrets are hidden well. I like the pillars that have a bit of faded green that indicates a secret door.

The site is http://xfury.net/doom and is being worked on right now, but when it's all together, we'll start putting up wads to do demos for, and I thought Death.wad would be a good one because we have a lot of speed demons there at the site, as well as some max runners. I myself usually like to get 100% kills at least.

I'll let you know when it's all together. We're still working on the main IWAD demo pages.

While this one was a joy to play I managed to discover one minor no-no. The level exit is not properly marked.

I'm really sorry about that. It was my first wad though. Thanks for pointing it out.

I myself usually like to get 100% kills at least.

That's what the monsters and ammo are there for...killing. Can't let any of them survive.

OMFG, another mac using doomer!

I played through your dead.wad and I must say that I enjoyed it. Definitely a worthy upload to newstuff.

Why don't you continue editing A#1 yourself? I'm sure if dead.wad is any indication you could do a great job finishing it off.

He should start a new project. Start with a new wad. He's pretty much got monster/item placement down, but for future releases, he should work on architecture. If uploaded for /newstuff, a lot of reviewers would comment on the lack of architecture. Gameplay is fun, but pretty things are good too. =)

Finish A#1? Well I did finish it...sort of. It's got an exit and all (and I think it's even marked! ;) but I just had to cut away some. Now I've grown into what I have and don't want to change it I guess. Plus, Hellmaker was OS 8 compatible (and some versions of OS 9) but I've been using OS X for several years now. A damn shame the author never responded to my emails about getting the thing carbonized for OS X.

Needless to say what I cut out could be the basis for a new level, but I'm kind of out of the scene now. I get the muse now and again (like when I see a wall and think of it as a texture...) but without the Mac tool it's not gonna happen.

Nanami, when you say architecture, are you just referring to the look or also the layout? I worked really hard on the layout (and mostly avoided Grey64) but I guess that kept me from really glorifying the look of the maps. Not my strong point really.

I'm glad you've all enjoyed them so far. I hope you're not jumping too much. ;)

When I say architecture, I mean like... Well, here's my best example, from my most recent wad, Grind2:

ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/Grind2.zip

Doom II. Anyway, I mean like windows, archways, skylights, columns, etc. Anything to spruce up the rooms, instead of just being big boxes. That level is a bit cramped, I'll admit, but I enjoy the detail in most places.

It's also a bit hard without having to have many big monsters. =) Mostly because of the ammo placement.

If you want a really hard version, replace "Grind2.zip" with "Grind2X.zip" to get the uber-monster-filled version. This version also has a couple extra features, like a camera. Playing Grind2X with -nomonsters is a good way to check out some of the spiffy stuff I did.

I'm on an iBook running both OS X and OS 9. Whenever I want to edit doom through hellmaker I normally boot back into OS 9 however if you have the classic enviroment installed hellmaker works perfectly fine through there to.

I'm also not suprised that the author of hellmaker did not respond. It has been 5 years since he last updated his page. I doubt he even checks that email adress any more.

Hope you can get hellmaker to work though, I would love to see some more levels from you.

Nanami, the FTP site was full. I'll keep trying until I can get it though. Just reading what you've said is making me envision new levels...it's an addiction even after a few years off. I can still feel it. It's bad. Good. You know what I mean....

As for OS X, I redownloaded Hellmaker and we'll see if I can get something new done. I do have a third level I was working on, but maybe something completely fresh to start again would be good.

And I thought the author of Hellmaker would have responded because I actually paid the $10....

If you haven't played A#1.WAD yet, I say give it a try. It's a little more spruced up than DEAD.WAD, but nothing like what I imagine Nanami's level must be.

I love Doom. Belated happy birthday.

If for some reason you can't get it, I can host it from my webserver. But you SHOULD be able to get it from that URL I posted.

bunge said:

Nanami, the FTP site was full. I'll keep trying until I can get it though.

It has mirrors. You can use http://doomsearch.com/ to select a mirror and find WADs or other addons by zipname there.

I doubt you'll need to post it, the FTP server was just full at the time. I'll get it from there, or the other link tonight.

I can't believe that this thread has inspired me. I've got a new idea in my head already.

If you need any other ideas, ask myk. Or ask him to beta test if he's not busy. He's the single greatest tester evarrr and is teh l33t!!!111 =P

He helped a LOT with Grind2 and is helping with my current level, Dream.wad. If it wasn't for him, I doubt the level would have been as good as it is. I'm thinking of making him a manditory beta tester for my levels.