Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

I feel like a freak for liking this game

I don't think I have met a single person in real life that likes this game except maybe for this 1 dude. Literally everybody else has lamented it as boring and unfun. My younger brother recently tried out the BFG version on the PS3 because he was setting one up at his TV while I was asleep (we were both visiting our mother/father at the time and it was the weekend) and he decided to try out Doom 3 since I had a copy of it laying around. He made it midway through "Mars City revisited" before he stopped playing and said the game sucked, lamenting how the shotgun was the worst he had even seen in any game ever and how the combat was garbage. Tbh I can't really say I disagree with him. I like Doom 3 but only because I play it with mods that address some of the original's issues.

Does anybody else feel like a minority for liking this game?

It's worth noting that the disdain for Doom3 only seems to be from specific users. People like the Doomwiki maintainer @Quasar (and myself, not that it has much weight) enjoy Doom3 perfectly fine. It's more popular than you think.

Your brother thinks the D3 shotgun is:

2 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

the worst he had even seen in any game ever

I dont know, but I find the D3 shotgun pretty satisfying to use. And yes I do feel like a minority, but I dont find it bothering.

It's not a bad game in my opinion; I had enough fun with it to play through the main campaign. It's not my favorite Doom game, but that's not a bad thing since Doom is an awesome game series.

5 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

tried out the BFG version on the PS3 because he was setting one up at his TV

Sounds self explanatory.

Heh, I am part of minorities when it comes to many things, not just because of liking D3, so I feel like a minority the whole time :p.

I enjoy the game for what it is, but at the same time I acknowledge its flaws and shortcomings. I'm yet to meet someone in real life who likes the game as well.

By the way, interesting topic number I see in the address bar, "106666".

I like Doom 3, not that I've played it in a few years now. The best things about it for me were the atmosphere, the tension of the flashlight or gun tradeoff, the visuals and the hell segment.

My main issue with it was that id got the feel so wrong. The movement was leaden, a lot of the weapon sounds sucked, gravity was too high. Some of this was likely by design given the survival-horroresque pace and scale of the game, but as they'd already made some of the best shooters ever in terms of the fundamental feelings of movement and gunplay, I'd always expected anything id put out to feel good to handle.

@hardcore_gamer What mods do you play it with, out of curiosity?

I have completed every Doom 3 chapter on Veteran and know it back to front because I love it.

Same with Quake 4, masterpieces in their own right.

I've always felt sort of insane in regards to this game, specifically. I have plenty of sort of weird gaming opinions (I prefer System Shock 1 to 2, and Bioshock 2 to 1. I actually prefer Bioshock Infinite to 1, also, I'm just really mixed on my feelings of bioshock 1) but my less popular opinions are still me having a different perspective on certain elements or being able to overlook certain elements, etc. With Doom 3, it's as if we're all playing a different game. I find the combat in Doom 3 insanely satisfying and the moment to moment gameplay very unpredictable (or, did, but by now I've played it a thousand times so I already know all the ambushes by muscle memory). My liking of the game isnt me thinking the weakness of the shotgun accentuates the horror, or something...I don't think the shotgun feels weak in the first place.

Even if I did, gamers in general are some of the most laser focused, picky people I've talked with, imo. When asked to explain why this dislike a game their response is almost always one or two hyper specific elements they don't like, like the sound design of one of the weapons, for instance. Other demographics of weird nerds like, idk, star wars fans, generally have broad complaints about the direction of movies they don't like. It isn't like they dislike, idk, Hayden Christensen's face, or something, and that's the entire genesis of their disdain for the prequel trilogy. That would be absurd. But with a lot of franchise games, the things people hold as lynch pins are often as specific as that would've been.

Doom 3 is an acquired taste. I used to hate it but I gradually learn to appreciate it. By this I mean that I don't necessarily like it but came to respect what the game was going for and appreciate it for the qualities it does have. Even after all these years the game has aged very gracefully, especially in comparison with other games from that era. It's pretty and not cumbersome to control. Considering that the game came out in a period when developers were still transitioning to 3D graphics, they did a really good job. So from an artistic and technical standpoint it really is second to none.

I came to appreciate it even more once I started using the textures in a classic Doom environment. Believe me, there is a LOT of really good stuff in there and you'll see when I release my Doom 3 episode for Doom 2 . I think one of the reasons people love Classic Doom so much is because of the familiarity with the assets. You come to appreciate the game on a much more micro level and I think Doom 3 has a chance for this as well. In the meantime, you could try a standalone map I made using Doom 3 textures so you can see for yourself. It is going to be a mid-episode map of my WAD. It is supposed to be played without running.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/d3prxsit

Is it a terribly flawed game? Definitely! Does it have many qualities? Definitely! Is it a real "Doom experience"? It really depends what you mean by that. If by that you mean dark keycard hall in E1M3 where imps spawn behind you then it definitely expands on that kind of Doom experience. Shame it forgot about all the other parts.

Its biggest drawback BY FAR is the fact that after the first hell level you go back to mars levels. Right when the game was getting interesting you get thrust back to the part of the game that had become boring and monotonous! Perhaps they tried to avoid another Xen situation. They knew that the Hell level either made or broke the game so decided to make a single good hell level and while it was pretty good, it wasn't good enough to carry the rest of the game.

I think the reason lots of people have such strong reactions to it is because even if you hate the game, you can clearly see the indications that it could have been a truly great game. They get upset because such a talented team made such mistakes in the first place.

30 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

I came to appreciate it even more once I started using the textures in a classic Doom environment. Believe me, there is a LOT of really good stuff in there and you'll see when I release my Doom 3 episode for Doom 2 . I think one of the reasons people love Classic Doom so much is because of the familiarity with the assets. You come to appreciate the game on a much more micro level and I think Doom 3 has a chance for this as well. In the meantime, you could try a standalone map I made using Doom 3 textures so you can see for yourself. It is going to be a mid-episode map of my WAD. It is supposed to be played without running.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/d3prxsit

Yeah, a lot of the textures are fantastic.

Another thing I really liked was the in-world GUIs. They looked fantastic and raised the immersion level an oddly high amount for what seems a fairly trivial feature on paper.

I like Doom 3. It is a good survival horror game... but it is unique from the previous two games. I've gone through it on a few different systems. The most interesting was one of my old laptops that had no shade, instead, everything was bright and it was like the models all had a line dividing them.

Doom 3 has its strengths and weaknesses. I still enjoy going through it on occasion, but whenever I do, I can't help but be bothered by the minor gripes I have with it that make me realize why I think it's the weakest entry in the series. And that's coming from someone who used to love the game to the point of regarding it as the "best game ever".

Funny how your perceptions of things can change over the years.

I love Doom 3. The audio logs, the detail in the video logs or emails etc.... Ambience, atmosphere, horror, the depiction of hell - everything was terrific.

The only gripe I have is it has an identity crisis. It doesn't know if it wants to be a survival horror game or an action shooter because the amount of ammunition you carry is larger than in doom or doom 2.

If you think you're a freak for liking DooM 3, I must be ugly as all sin for liking it over DooM 4. XD

Seriously, DooM 3 is pretty good... well apart from how weak the shotgun its :l

I love original Doom 3 (not BFG edition). Played it on desktop with CRT monitor (all difficulties except nightmare). Dead dark room, i see appearing ball in imp's hand, shooting by guessing where could be imp's head and hearing imp dying - that was kick ass. Also i really enjoyed switching between flashlight and weapon, it gave me a lot of experience.

I like doom 3 but the worst thing they did to it was attach the flashlight to guns in later versions. Lore logic vs gameplay is a detrimental debate to be had and in this case the worse choice was made.

I always felt the BFG edition tried to change the game into more of a shooter, rather than survival. But just giving the player a constant light source trashed the idea of the original version.

I enjoyed D3 when it came out, we didn't have a lot like it at the time and it was good fun. Not such a big fan these days as I do prefer Q4 but it is still a good game none the less.

Doom 3 isn't a bad game; it's just suffered from bad gunplay and being reviewed by general public as "a bad Doom game". Which isn't true, imo.

id has done a very well job of turning Doom into a survival-horror game.

Spoiler

Also, what is wrong with number 3 in every single major game franchise? Fallout 3, Duke Nukem 3,etc.

1 hour ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Also, what is wrong with number 3 in every single major game franchise? Fallout 3, Duke Nukem 3,etc.

Whats wrong with Duke Nukem 3(D)?

Just now, ReaperAA said:

Whats wrong with Duke Nukem 3(D)?

Spoiler

Oh, sorry, I meant that every number 3 in major game franchise always have something different from its predecessor. 
For instance, Duke3D is a FPS, unlike Duke 1/2, which are 2D platformers.
But I think we should stop here before this topic become an everything-else discussion.

6 hours ago, The_SloVinator said:

I love Doom 3. The audio logs, the detail in the video logs or emails etc.... Ambience, atmosphere, horror, the depiction of hell - everything was terrific.

The only gripe I have is it has an identity crisis. It doesn't know if it wants to be a survival horror game or an action shooter because the amount of ammunition you carry is larger than in doom or doom 2.

And at the same time the gunplay is also weaker. Go figure.

Don't feel like a freak for liking a game! Many others enjoyed Doom3 as well, myself included. Although it's not my favourite Doom game, it still holds a place in my heart and in my game collection.

The tension, the stark contrast between light and dark, the awesome and foreboding hell level, the ancient catacombs setting... Love it! :D I just hate Lost Souls, so annoying. Cool intro to them, though.

On 6/1/2019 at 4:09 PM, hardcore_gamer said:

Does anybody else feel like a minority for liking this game?

93% Google users liked this game. I don't understand you people here or on various facebook groups being actually ashamed for liking this game. It's a great game. I think it's a pretty good Doom game. 

It tried something new. It did not worked out as expected but they fixed it with the newer games. 

Also, are you not the author of the Hell over Here levels? If yes then your post seems kinda pointless. You don't map for a game you consider bad. 

The graphics still hold up quite nicely (except for the models tho but there are mods that fix that.

13 minutes ago, xyzz said:

Also, are you not the author of the Hell over Here levels?

I find it amazing that anybody even remembers that stuff.

I like Doom 3 and even prefer it over the newer installement of the series in some areas, It's got repetitive level themes and crappy gunplay but I don't think the game is meant to be finished in one sitting anyway, Regarding the gunplay you just gotta play it Kurt Cobain-style, Shotgun in the face (or install a mod, that works too).

doom 3 is simply the best blend of action and horror. for example, something that you forgot was there catches you off guard, making you jump in your seat. i found the combat thrilling and exciting. the reloading is put to great effect here, as it helps to add tension and a sense of "come on, hurry up! i need to kill that im-" *dies*

it really is a lot of fun. also, quit whining about how dark it is. you have a very durable, head-crushing, flashlight capable of TWO-SHOTTING MAGGOT DEMONS! it really is an effective weapon. anyone who says otherwise is wrong. not to mention you can still sprint in 4 directions instead of walking like a tank like COD. although the cyberdemon could be improved by making him invincible until he is shot with the soul cube, and THEN you can attack him for a limited time. that would make the end MUCH better.