Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Alientank

Attention custom PC makers

As you all know I'm looking for a top end PC made with QUALITY stuff preferably DIRECT from the manufacturer. NO used parts. I want this in the springtime however I would like to know who here does make them (and is GOOD at it and KNOWS what they are doing, no kiddies just throwing shit together). If you apply, send me a PM with a few facts about what you do and if your certified in anything (don't need to be but it shows moreso you know what your talking about). I would be interested in one of you making a system for me, for a low price (I know a lot of you tell me that you can make systems for really cheap). Thanks again. Mods I don't know if this stands as a worthy topic so please have mercy on it and me for a few days until I get some answers. Thanks.

EDIT: Also, is pricewatch a reliable place to get parts for things?

It takes an hour at most to put a PC together. Unless you manage to smoke the mainboard or something retarded like that. (I did that with a school computer, it never worked again).

Hmm well in that case....ok :) Can you answer a few questions for me then

1) With todays mobo's is there jumper settings to configure (on boards like nforce boards for AMD as well as good boards for P4's)

2) Is pricewatch a reliable place. Or are there companies on there that will try to rip you off.

3) I'm going to need BIOS and CMOS chips for the board. Do they usually come with them these days?

Alientank said:

2) Is pricewatch a reliable place. Or are there companies on there that will try to rip you off.

That's for you to decide. If you see a website that looks a little shady, don't use it, find another one. You might have to sacrifice a 5 dollar price difference, but is that a big deal.. No.

Also, if you need help building the computer, look for PDF files from the manufacturers to help you out.

1) There are rarely many (if any) jumper settings on most boards these days.

2) Pricewatch itself is reliable, but some of the companies on there aren't. Check Reseller Ratings before you buy. resellerratings.com

3) ...I can't believe you know enough to know that computers have BIOSes and then you're ignorant enough to ask this question. A motherboard isn't much use without a BIOS. So YES, motherboards come with BIOS chips.

Yeah, if you need help try this: http://katsbox.doomers.org/buildingcomp.txt - it's a guide I wrote for my friend orion (aka nxn), but it should pretty much apply universally.

Alright, well thanks for the text file. Another dumb question, it comes with a BIOS chip but I know not much about CMOS stuff. What is it exactly and does it come with the boards

CMOS means "Complementary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor" and most of your integrated circuits are of this type, but you don't need to know that. When people say CMOS they generally refer to the BIOS setup program, and you will need to know a bit about that. That's generally explained in your motherboard manual.

Alright thanks. Because now that I know the board comes with the BIOS chip installed and most likely NO jumper settings to configure, I know the rest and can setup easily.

Well, read the text file, like I said, and make sure you take it slow. It's easy to get excited your first time, and screw something up royally. Like I said in there, I mounted my first motherboard directly to the backplane of the case. :/ Everyone makes mistakes.

Katarhyne said:

I mounted my first motherboard directly to the backplane of the case. :/ Everyone makes mistakes.

Exactly what I did at school ^__^ Damn it, I wonder why cases aren't designed with that in mind.

i always watched out for that. infact i took it a little further and put a small amount of electrical tape on everything that could touch the back of the main board. this is done with cases i am not sure will work. however there have been few times i needed it, i do it out of precaution. also DONT use a dell case with power supply or a dell power supply, they are noit ATX

I'm on a dell p3 500 right now. I opened the case before and what do I find? This extra blue cable. WTF. Personally I don't think it does anything, it's just so you will buy their damn PS's