Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_Child

worst 3 maps of the doom sires

ok this was porbably done before. What 3 doom maps do you hate the most. Mine are. barrels of fun,icon of sin and haunted. The maps that just piss you off all the time.the ones that you all ways have trouble with. I hate boodfalls cuz the music.

You should make your threads more descriptive when you start off. =)

I hate a lot of the Doom II levels right in the middle. You know, the city ones where you have to go into about 300 buildings and find all three keys. Those levels annoy me to no end because no matter how many times I play them I still get lost every single time.

Doom II co-op is pretty annoying on several levels (Circle of Death for example. It may be Circle of Destruction, I can't remember) because they throw in an extra Cyberdemon for no reason whatsoever. It's never strategically placed or anything either. It's just tossed in there randomly.

The Final Doom levels are pretty fun, but they're all very hard compared to Ultimate Doom or Doom II. I also hate "Hunted" or whatever it's called. The Arch-Vile maze. The first time I ever played Plutonia or TNT was co-op with a friend and it took us a very long time to get through that level. There was also another level that had no guns in the level for a VERY long time except for a rocket launcher with 2 ammo and a shotgun if you jumped and cheated. We spent about 30-45 minutes pistoling badguys to death. It was very annoying.

I don't like E4M8 much. It's a boss level, but it's filled with zillions of enemies. I can understand, though. They weren't going to add a new boss for the episode. So I guess I can't blame them. But it's still one of my less favorite levels.

Hunted was great, nothing like it had been seen before, nice an innovative. The bunny music was nice touch too =)

Nanami said:

Doom II co-op is pretty annoying on several levels (Circle of Death for example. It may be Circle of Destruction, I can't remember) because they throw in an extra Cyberdemon for no reason whatsoever. It's never strategically placed or anything either. It's just tossed in there randomly.

well, Map11 is called both names... :)

Barrells of Fun, Icon of Sin, and Fortress of Mystery. I can deal with every other doom level besides these. BoF is just too hard for lil' ol' me, I would like to have fought Baphomet if he was walking around and hurling fire at me, not just dispersing his goons, and Fortress of Mystery is just useless!

in Doom1: e2m2, e3m1 (I really hate most of episode3),
in Doom2: map04 (I dunno why), map28,

Ultimate Doom: Hated Maps
E3M3: Just don't like it. It feels more like a really whacked out E2 level than the Hell level it should be. Plus it's boring.
E3M4: Always manage to get stuck on the switches part of this level.

That's about it for Doom.

Doom2 Hated Levels
Most of the maps in this game are just no fun. Sure, the first few, and the last few are, and some (only some) of the middle maps are fun, but there's no real link between one level to the next, and texture use is bland and boring. Nothing really eye-catching IMO.
However, the ones that stand out in my mind are:
Map09: Gag. Ugh, this is undoubtedly the ugliest map in the whole game. Bad use of textures and flats, and the layout of the level is sleep-inducing IMO. I repeat: ugh.
Map02: I don't know, I just don't like this map. Texture/flat (but what's with all the water?) use is ok, I guess, though there are a few too many shotgunners near the red key for my liking.
Map19: The Citadel starts off as a promising level, with the citadel itself looming ominously before you. However, as this level progresses, you begin to realize that this is yet another failed attempt at a good Doom2 level. Boring texture use, and I still get lost in this level every time I play (which isn't very often) it.

Map 13- Downtown. Sucks just because.

No UD map sucks. Ever.

Never played Final Doom. Feh. :(

The absolutely most hated original level:

E3M8! by far.

I was so damn fucking dissapointed! I had battled through the other episodes without cheats. I had experienced how the feeling of intense dread and impending, well yeah, DooM had risen as the levels became more grand, more devious and more hellish!

And then I am treated to a bland underdetailed to bright arena with lousy texturing choices (though the central building was a good touch). Definately not an appropriate way of finishing one of the, otherwise, best games in history.

Runners ups:

E2M9: With the name Fortress of Mystery I was expecting something mysterious and tricky. Not just one big fight.

Map21: This map is just so goddamn AWFUL! Completely lacking in themes it is little more than some ugly square rooms connected with teleporters. In my opinoin they should have redone everything besides the main area with the lava and the pillars. Also it exhibits a completely lame usage of the BRWINDOW texture. What the hell were they thinking?

ravage said:

No UD map sucks. Ever.

Why thank you! I'll pass this on to the rest of UD.

My least favorite map of Doom (I don't really hate any of them) would be E4M1, only because there doesn't seem to be enough ammo.

I really don't like map 25. Half of it doesn't make much sense, and I don't think the other half was ever finished.

Ichor said:

I really don't like map 25. Half of it doesn't make much sense, and I don't think the other half was ever finished.

Heh, I think you might like my CC Map 25 replacement then.

Archvile46 said:
Hunted was great, nothing like it had been seen before, nice and innovative.

No, there have never been any annoying single-textured maze maps before. :)

My most hated levels would be:

UDoom - e3m7, Limbo, a confusing, bland, single-textured level with nearly no safe ground to walk on and the random demon or spectre plodding towards you through a lake of blood.

Doom II - map30, Icon of Sin, probably the dumbest boss level in the history of games. The boss itself was cool though.

Evilution - I can't think of any levels off the top of my head that I didn't like here, Evilution was very well made in my opinion.

Plutonia - Basically the whole episode. Level design was usually good, if a little repetetive, but the monster counts were just too much to be any fun at all. I like a good challenge, but damn, it's like playing a DM game against 50 clones of Thresh. You can't even stand up.

Master Levels - All of them except the one with the citadel in a sea of blood (can't think of the name, and I don't have them anymore).

Doom 64 - map...32(?), Hectic, two words: fucking impossible. Pretty pointless as well, you can just get the cheats with the code.

I know that was more than 3 maps, but there are more than 3 Doom games.

Limbo is probably one of my most favorite maps. Sure it could have used a couple more enemies here and there, but the Hell atmosphere was one of the best in all of the game (House of Pain and Slough of Despair come a close second).

Doom: E3M7, those blood mazes are annoying as hell! E4M2, all the jumping and teleporting is senseless!

Doom2: MAP09, MAP20, MAP24 and MAP30

There's no lava in Limbo, just a lot of blood. It still hurts the same, though.

Megalyth said:
Doom 64 - map...32(?), Hectic, two words: fucking impossible. Pretty pointless as well, you can just get the cheats with the code.

Are you kidding? Hectic was a great level, easily one of my favorites. I've managed to beat it on all but the highest difficulty setting, and it's fully worth the effort, IMO. And you want to see hard? Try playing the last two of the hidden levels beating Hectic lets you access. Cat and Mouse was a pushover, but the other two will keep you busy fo a while.

Back to the question, though... I'm ashamed to say that it's been a while since I've played through UD or D2... I've mainly been playing other people's levels, so I can't really remember the names of most of the levels... or their numbers for that matter. I'll describe them though and hopefully that will work.

Ultimate Doom
I really didn't strongly dislike any of the levels from the first 3 episodes, but there is one level that sticks out from Thy Flesh Consumed. I guess it was meant to be a castle or something, but the center of it was a giant pit with a pillar in the center and teleporters on each side of that piller. At the end you had to shoot rockets at a Cyberdemon on a ledge at the opposite end of the pit. Not particularly fun.

Doom 2
Most of Doom 2's levels didn't agree with me. Too dark and bland which made it almost a chore at times to go through it. But they can't be really horrible levels if they don't stand out, right? I mean you only really remember the ones you love and the ones you hate. And two of those hated leves immediately come to mind. The first of them is about midway through the game... you start off in a pit with slime flowing down most of the walls, each wall having a lift leading of ledges of varying heights. Just too tedious for me. The same goes for the second level I remember hating... it's somewhere near the end of the game... in a library or something. It was completely indoors and pretty much entirely brown, which doesn't narrow it down, I know, but I remember that trying to find all the keys was a bitch.

Final Doom
Not my style. I suppose if I forced myself to play it I would have a lot of fun (like with Heretic), but I don't see that happening.

Doom 64
I can only really remember one level that I had any problem with. It was towards the end of the game and started off in a small outdoor area. Ya know, from looking at it you wouldn't think that it would be such a large area and if it weren't for the fact that you had to trek through a large outdoor grassy expanse and the lava filled tunnels at it's end all in search of a single key, then I wouldn't have any problem with it. And if it weren't for the game being so dark I would say that the levels of Doom 64 were my overall favorites.

Archvile46 said:

Hunted was great, nothing like it had been seen before, nice an innovative. The bunny music was nice touch too =)

Cool map indeed. Heh, yes, the bunny song doesn't even cycle properly. Actually, most of plutonia's music is out of place, with all those DOOM songs that tend to inspire DOOM-type themes... to be honest I changed most of the tracks on my IWAD.

Torn said:

well, Map11 is called both names... :)

Right, one on the intermission screen, the other in the automap.

Grazza said:

I don't dislike any of them. So there.

Same here.

Ichor said:

Limbo is probably one of my most favorite maps. Sure it could have used a couple more enemies here and there, but the Hell atmosphere was one of the best in all of the game (House of Pain and Slough of Despair come a close second).

Yes it's a pretty cool map Tom Hall started. The fact that the green theme was overused by mappers later does not hurt it at all if one considers this map is the "father" of that theme.

EllipsusD said:

I really didn't strongly dislike any of the levels from the first 3 episodes, but there is one level that sticks out from Thy Flesh Consumed. I guess it was meant to be a castle or something, but the center of it was a giant pit with a pillar in the center and teleporters on each side of that piller. At the end you had to shoot rockets at a Cyberdemon on a ledge at the opposite end of the pit. Not particularly fun.

Nah, e4m6 rocks bigtime. It's an awesomely defended hellish fortification. I'll agree it's tough, but of excellent design. Probably one of John Romero's best maps.

Well, it's got a lot of red too, yes, but all-red maps haven't been as common as green marble themed ones, so that's beside my point.

The level in the lava pit with the four way teleporter and the Cyberdemon battle is E4M6, Against Thee Wickedly. I didn't like this map to start with because of the lava and the Cyberdemon battle. But I found a great way to defeat the Cyberdemon. Plus I like the architecture. Check out this demo I made in UV:

http://xfury.net/doom/demos/Nanami-E4M6-1057.zip

Plays back with Legacy 1.40a

i should probably do some research into this...

but from the top of my head, I dont like map04, one near the end... map 26 perhaps? with the blood waterfalls and the archvile at the end.

and the boss map in episode 3 of doom1, it was just boring and not a good end to the game.