Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elden4

any doom the way id did similar mapset to recommend?

As the topic says I am looking for doom the way id did similar mapset ... can someone help me providing a list of the mods built like that?

any help would be appreciated , thanks!

Well I know of the following:

- DTWID: The Lost Episodes (6-Episode wad and requires zdoom/Eternity to play episodes 5 and 6)

- D2TWID (Doom 2 equivalent of DTWID)

- UDTWID (Ultimate Doom's E4 replacement. Though I am not a fan of it AND it is also much different and harder than "Thy Flesh Consumed")

- No End In Sight (excellent Ultimate Doom megawad of 4 Episodes from some of the DTWID mappers)

(All Ultimate DooM, no repeat mentions:)

Lunar Catastrophe

Wonderful DooM

CH Retro Episode

Monument

Incineration

Death Tormention 1-3

Crusades

The Becoming

Bedlam

Simply Phobos

Fava Beans

Phobos Revisited

Deimos Deja Vu

No Sleep for the Dead

1 hour ago, nicolas monti said:

Favillesco episode 1 and 2

These are super underrated and I would recommend. :)

No Sleep For The Dead is also maybe the best episode 1-styled wad I've ever played.

Edited by Gifty

Endless Torment is another megawad that has similarities with the aforementioned DTWID

thanks a lot , in the future I am planning to build a episode or megawad , so I want to study this style of mapping .

1 hour ago, elden4 said:

thanks a lot , in the future I am planning to build a episode or megawad , so I want to study this style of mapping .

I recommend you to try Romero's Sigil episode or his E1M4b and E1M8b before you play the fanprojects. The lesson you can learn from them is creativity and distinct new ideas are as important in classic style levels as keeping the "Doom spirit" in them. If I recommend a few ideas, you should go for a 9-15 level mapset instead of a full megawad to avoid unnecessary dragging. Levels shouldn't overstay their welcome, that's a critical mistake in many otherwise good wads I played.

Then create your own style within the limits of the original game (I don't mean visplane limit, just the classic Doom style limits, ie. no mega-outside areas or modified stuff). For example Sigil created the eye shooting mechanic, along with E1M8b the glowing cracks visual elements, the Baphomet picture ending instead of the traditional one, and so on, yet, it still felt like classic Doom. You don't need to copy these ideas, just have your own distinct features/ending/starting in the map. Also the maps in the set should be different. Again, if you look at Sigil for example, you can't say the maps in them are generic. Every map in the set has its own visual aesthetics, puzzles, gameplay narratives (ie. a greek labyrinth, 3 path gauntlet, dark city, open up the bridge level, cages etc.), they can't be mistaken with something else. For example if people play Elden04, it should be remembered differently to Elden08 for example.

That's all I can say now, good luck with your project.

16 minutes ago, eulo said:

I recommend you to try Romero's Sigil episode or his E1M4b and E1M8b before you play the fanprojects. The lesson you can learn from them is creativity and distinct new ideas are as important in classic style levels as keeping the "Doom spirit" in them. If I recommend a few ideas, you should go for a 9-15 level mapset instead of a full megawad to avoid unnecessary dragging. Levels shouldn't overstay their welcome, that's a critical mistake in many otherwise good wads I played.

Then create your own style within the limits of the original game (I don't mean visplane limit, just the classic Doom style limits, ie. no mega-outside areas or modified stuff). For example Sigil created the eye shooting mechanic, along with E1M8b the glowing cracks visual elements, the Baphomet picture ending instead of the traditional one, and so on, yet, it still felt like classic Doom. You don't need to copy these ideas, just have your own distinct features/ending/starting in the map. Also the maps in the set should be different. Again, if you look at Sigil for example, you can't say the maps in them are generic. Every map in the set has its own visual aesthetics, puzzles, gameplay narratives (ie. a greek labyrinth, 3 path gauntlet, dark city, open up the bridge level, cages etc.), they can't be mistaken with something else. For example if people play Elden04, it should be remembered differently to Elden08 for example.

That's all I can say now, good luck with your project. 

Thanks a lot for your advices , played Sigil and enjoyed it , I will keep in mind what you just said when I'll be planning on the megawad.

The project I am planning will feature a sort of "graphic novel book" and then an episode or megawad release .

This is a one man project so I will release it when ready.