Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

unpopular retro opinions

14 minutes ago, seed said:

I have no idea tbh, I tried that a few times and it changed nothing for me. Usually, the moment I open the automap on a complex/big map I go "Yeah, screw this, I'm better off spending this century wandering around the map than trying to use this disaster".

In GZdoom, go to options -> automap options -> Enable textured display. Turn it on.

In Glboom+ go to options -> setup -> automap. Find "Transluency Percentage" heading and under it u will find "Textured automap". Make its value 100.

In Prboom+ (software exe) it is not possible to have textured automap.

1 hour ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Most of the games AVGN slags on aren't as bad as he makes them out to be.  Some of them are indeed genuinely awful but a lot of the time he's just over-exaggerating the faults of middling or even fairly decent games for comedic effect.

I think he's admitted as such in his non-AVGN videos. There's not much humor to be mined from "This game is mediocre! Look at how uninteresting but inoffensive its level design is!"

2 minutes ago, deepthaw said:

I think he's admitted as such in his non-AVGN videos. There's not much humor to be mined from "This game is mediocre! Look at how uninteresting but inoffensive its level design is!"

He has, but I don't think that's stopped people from using appearing on AVGN as a criteria for determining that a game is trash.

6 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

In GZdoom, go to options -> automap options -> Enable textured display. Turn it on.

In Glboom+ go to options -> setup -> automap. Find "Transluency Percentage" heading and under it u will find "Textured automap". Make its value 100.

In Prboom+ (software exe) it is not possible to have textured automap.

I think you completely misunderstood my post.

I literally said "I have already done this in the past and it didn't change my experience or opinion in any way", not "I tried to set the automap like this but I ultimately failed to do so". The only use it ever had for me in Doom was finding certain areas I missed due to having a noticeable chunk of the map grayed out or drawn incompletely.

1 minute ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

He has, but I don't think that's stopped people from using appearing on AVGN as a criteria for determining that a game is trash.

Probably the same people who get angry when Zero Punctuation shits on a game they like. I *enjoy* it when he talks smack about a game I like, because I can usually chuckle and say "he does have a point there."

1 minute ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

That's not really AVGN's fault. That's the fault of the people interpreting satire to face value.

3 minutes ago, seed said:

I think you completely misunderstood my post.

Whoops. My bad

Spoiler

Atleast I tried to help 😞

1 hour ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Most Amiga games that were ported to the Sega Genesis were better on the Genesis.  Taking advantage of a controller with multiple buttons is a welcome tradeoff for any minor degradation of graphics/sound involved.

How many Genesis games were Amiga ports? The ones I can think of are:

Shadow of the Beast (superior on Amiga but seemed fine on Genesis)

Chaos Engine / Soldiers of Fortune (superior on Genesis but seemed fine on Amiga)

Gods (superior on Genesis, better controller + ingame music)

Xenon 2 Megablast (superior on Amiga, the only reason the game was memorable was the soundtrack)

Cannon Fodder (superior on Amiga, mouse FTW)

Turrican (superior on Amiga, Genesis felt wrong)

Mega Turrican / Turrican 3 (superior on Genesis, felt and controlled better)

I'm sure there were dozens more, given the shared 68000 CPU between the two platforms.

@deepthaw

Off the top of my head a few that you missed might be:

Risky Woods

Galahad (Leander on Amiga)

Stormlord (which I don't recall being enjoyable on any system, and seems to have been on a bunch so might not've originated on the Amiga)

Sword of Sodan (okay, the Genesis version of this at least was terrible so maybe it was better on the Amiga or it was just plain terrible period)

Wolfchild

I'm sure I'm missing a few as well.

2 hours ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

(topics)

Man, I never agreed so much with someone else in this thread lol

2 hours ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Lemmings was ported to Genesis it looks like

It was, and it has so many levels exclusive to the Genesis version, some of the puzzles are actually pretty good. It has a total of 180 levels! 60 more than the Amiga version!

While I think the Quake series is fun, the games just feel like retreads of DOOM. Especially Quake 1. They could've just called it "Doom 3" and they wouldn't have to change much. It baffles me that people want a single-player reboot of that series. It seems completely unnecessary when the current DOOM series exists. What the hell would a new Quake do to differentiate itself in ways that please people?

21 minutes ago, chemo said:

It baffles me that people want a single-player reboot of that series. It seems completely unnecessary when the current DOOM series exists. What the hell would a new Quake do to differentiate itself in ways that please people?

Trent Reznor

36 minutes ago, Noiser said:

Trent Reznor

Let me rephrase that. What would a new Quake do to differentiate itself in ways that please people and are substantial enough?

Yeah, a new industrial-ambient soundtrack from Trent Reznor would be cool, but it wouldn't change all that much IMO.

15 minutes ago, chemo said:

Let me rephrase that. What would a new Quake do to differentiate itself in ways that please people and are substantial enough?

Yeah, a new industrial-ambient soundtrack from Trent Reznor would be cool, but it wouldn't change all that much IMO.

Yeah, I think you're right. To be honest, I just want to see a new game scored by him lol
Still, maybe something closer to horror could work for a Quake reboot, idk.

Deus Ex Invisible War is not as bad as they say. It is a worthy sequel to the franchise, and it even improves on some of the concepts of the first one

3 hours ago, Noiser said:

Trent Reznor

Not gonna happen when Trent wants to be paid in "rockstar dollars", which got him laid off from Doom 3.

Why does no one mention Heretic 2? I think it's the best out of the Hexeretic "series", even if it is third person.

I also find both of the Hexen titles to be a bit boring - from switch hunts/"puzzles" and also due to the small variety of weapons per class.

Heretic, meanwhile, is a bit too easy and the levels can feel grindy and repetitive, especially if you're going through all the episodes.

6 hours ago, chemo said:

While I think the Quake series is fun, the games just feel like retreads of DOOM. Especially Quake 1. They could've just called it "Doom 3" and they wouldn't have to change much. It baffles me that people want a single-player reboot of that series. It seems completely unnecessary when the current DOOM series exists. What the hell would a new Quake do to differentiate itself in ways that please people?

Quake 1 and 2 are an interesting middle-ground between the styles of Doom (and contemporary clones) and Half-Life/Unreal.  It has most of the more hands-off/unscripted level design of the former, but the combat is more like the latter, with fewer but more capable enemies.  A proper Quake 5 would have a really unique voice in the current gaming landscape.

Also, let's be real, Quake Champions fucking sucked, and having proper Quake deathmatch back would be lovely.

6 hours ago, Noiser said:

Trent Reznor

Another unpopular retro opinion from me:

Sonic Mayhem > Trent Reznor/NIN

16 minutes ago, Cynical said:

Quake 1 and 2 are an interesting middle-ground between the styles of Doom (and contemporary clones) and Half-Life/Unreal.  It has most of the more hands-off/unscripted level design of the former, but the combat is more like the latter, with fewer but more capable enemies.  A proper Quake 5 would have a really unique voice in the current gaming landscape.

+1.

I'd love a proper Quake 5 that actually goes back to the roots and does the name justice.

8 hours ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Damn, I gotta check that out. I wonder if anyone ported those to an easy-to-play PC version.

You know what would be great, if someone actually ported them to the SNES version, it's still the greatest version in my eyes.

Every new episode of DN3D after the original 3 is a half-baked cash grab.

Duke Nukem Forever isn't that bad and has tons of creativity in it.

I'll take any old game over new ones because of the graphics. Less detail = more space for imagination, more immersion.

46 minutes ago, Szuran said:

Every new episode of DN3D after the original 3 is a half-baked cash grab.

Not unpopular at all.

But there are some more unpopular opinions from me:

- Duke 3d's E1 is not the best episode (E3 is the best episode).

- Daikatana is a decent game after using unofficial 1.3 patch and playing without companions.

- Red Faction 2 is a decent game (if only it had proper multiplayer instead of just bot matches).

- Half Life 1's HD weapon models are great (except for turning MP5 into Carbine which was dumb).

- UT3 is the best UT once it is patched and modded (with Titan Pack and mods like FoxMod and Mapmixer). Though unmodded UT3 is still terrible.

- C&C Red Alert 2 is not only the best C&C game, but also probably the best RTS game.

okay i said i wasnt but i guess im doing this

Retro

-System Shock 1 is the greatest game with the word Shock in it, and you're all just too scared to try it out because of the controls

-Super Mario Bros 2, the west version, is really good and has more playful level design and challenges than any Mario since

-Metroid Fusion is as good as Super Metroid

-System Shock 2 wasn't that hard. People implied that the longer it went the more obtuse everything became, but for me the limited resources and more linear gameplay just made a progressively more streamlined and creative experience of using every advantage open to you and creatively using your items at the right times. Then again maybe I was stupidly lucky and I'd actually think otherwise if I played it through a second time.

-Silent Hill 3 is pretty scary but its plot isn't interesting or investing at all until the final two fifths of play where you actually go to Silent Hill.

-Doom's gameplay really isn't suited to techbases or cities. It only ever shines in Hell, and thats where its texture set is the most interesting and creatively freeing as well.

-^ Mazes are cool, but 30 mazes in a row get old fast. More linear levels tend to stick out in your mind more.

Not retro

-Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs is really good. It isnt just "worth consideration" its a downright masterpiece. People who say its barely a sequel to The Dark Descent clearly didn't have a very solid grasp on that game aside from it being "scary."

-The campaign of Halo 2 is the best out of the original trilogy.

-Bioshock 2 is the second best game with Shock in the title.

-The worst game with Shock in the title is Bioshock

6 hours ago, gamevoin said:

Why does no one mention Heretic 2? I think it's the best out of the Hexeretic "series", even if it is third person.

Because it isn't underrated yet most people never played it. Then again most of this thread isn't unpopular opinions so I guess it is just the 2nd part about most people skipping it.

My dad saw Heretic 2 in the store years ago and picked it up. I took one look at it and was like "this looks dumb". I guess I should've given it a fair chance. I don't remember how far he got into the game.

Counter-Strike's "one life per round" thing is bullshit. I think I played it all of one time in my life before getting killed, saying "A-ha", and never touching it again with a 30-foot cattle prod even since. 2004-2005 I think it was, in some seedy cyber-cafe? I went to warez acquire Doom 3 instead.

All that game seems to have going for it is that it created a toxic "1337/n00b/w4ll h4x0r/scrub/cheat0rz" game culture around it, countless of Flash parodies of the latter, and that's about it.