Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HeyItsDuke

Is the Doom 3 marine The original Doomguy?

2 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

He's not OG Doomguy, but another Marine.

It's just really confusing because sometime's id implies he is the same person, but other time's it's implied he's not, I agree with you on this one, mainly because he does not even look like the original Doomguy.

Considering DooM3(Yes, the official game logo isn't "DooM 3", the 3 is superscript) was designed like a totally reboot of DooM 1/2, so they still implied some of things in classic, just like most of reboot games.

The DooM3 novel author just give him a name, and something "similar backstory of military indiscretion to original marine", but I'm not sure he has any of relations to Classic Doomguy at all...

The plot isn't the same too but still has some relation from classic so it just like something new, based on classic DooM. Hell, even the DooM 4/2016 also a reboot again, I guess just id guys just lovin' do "rebooting" their games. :P

Edited by Player Lin : Re-wording my shit.

3 hours ago, Player Lin said:

the 3 is superscript

Huh, so is this actually Doom Cubed? Was Soul Cube inspired by this?

Doom 3/Doom3 Doomguy is not the same as OG Doomguy because he does not share the same qualities as OG.

OG Doomguy:

• Can sprint for all eternity practically
  • High endurance
  • High strength
  • Fights on the Martian moons, Phobos and Deimos, and on Earth, as well as in Hell

Doom 3/Doom3 Doomguy:

• Can sprint for short bursts of time
  • Somewhat high endurance
  • Somewhat high strength
  • Fights on Mars and in Hell

6 hours ago, Bluefox_1 said:

Huh, so is this actually Doom Cubed? Was Soul Cube inspired by this?

I doubt it. It's just a graphical style choosen by whomever made the logo, and I find it obnoxious when there's an attempt to recreate the logo's style choices in plain text. It's just Doom 3 (or, in the legal texts, "DOOM 3").

I wonder if he'll make the argument that Doom 3: BFG Edition should be written with "Do₃oM"...

3 hours ago, chungy said:

I doubt it. It's just a graphical style choosen by whomever made the logo, and I find it obnoxious when there's an attempt to recreate the logo's style choices in plain text. It's just Doom 3 (or, in the legal texts, "DOOM 3").

I'm not sure how it's obnoxious, but to each their own.

3 hours ago, chungy said:

I wonder if he'll make the argument that Doom 3: BFG Edition should be written with "Do₃oM"...

Unnecessary, please don't provoke an argument in this thread, it's fine to share your opinion, but it should be done in a more polite way. :) (and yes, this is typically how arguments start on threads.)

10 hours ago, V0idH0und said:

I'm not sure how it's obnoxious, but to each their own.

Unnecessary, please don't provoke an argument in this thread, it's fine to share your opinion, but it should be done in a more polite way. :) (and yes, this is typically how arguments start on threads.)

Well, I don't intend to say that as "argument" or something, but someone may think it is, so I guess I needed explain my shit better when I post that.  And I don't want and don't have time to start such pointless argument, so just let it go. :)

10 hours ago, Player Lin said:

Well, I don't intend to say that as "argument" or something, but someone may think it is, so I guess I needed explain my shit better when I post that.  And I don't want and don't have time to start such pointless argument, so just let it go. :)

Ok. :)

If you consider Doom 3 to take place in an alternate timeline in the same universe as the Doom games, the OG Doomguy/Doomslayer could be the warrior depicted on the tablets that were dug up in the excavation sites, with the hell dimension being the bridge that connects each timeline. But then that would mean there are multiple Doomguys anyway, so the Doom 3 marine could in fact be the Doomguy, just a different incarnation in a world with different rules. A world that doesn't quite get itself as mixed up with the others as Doom 1/2/64/2016 seem to do.

I see D3 as a retelling of Doom's E1, obviously with an accelerated plot. I just wish the guys at id would finally just come out and say "Stop arguing, xxxx is canon."

2 minutes ago, StevenC21 said:

I see D3 as a retelling of Doom's E1, obviously with an accelerated plot. I just wish the guys at id would finally just come out and say "Stop arguing, xxxx is canon."

Me too.

Doom 2016 pretty much made _all_ prior versions of Doom canon in the same universe or multiverse.

I think of DOOM, Quake, Wolfenstein and other id games like Marvel and DC comics. It's a crazy multiverse with infinite versions of each character. When You playScythe and he dies, that's just one of infinite timelines. Other times he gets through all those levels and then there's DOOM 3 guy and all the other DOOM guys. Of course there's THE Doomguy who is like the Earth-616 versions of The Punisher, The Hulk etc.

On 2/12/2018 at 1:49 AM, _42_ said:

Doom 3/Doom3 Doomguy is not the same as OG Doomguy because he does not share the same qualities as OG.

OG Doomguy:

• Can sprint for all eternity practically
  • High endurance
  • High strength
  • Fights on the Martian moons, Phobos and Deimos, and on Earth, as well as in Hell

Doom 3/Doom3 Doomguy:

• Can sprint for short bursts of time
  • Somewhat high endurance
  • Somewhat high strength
  • Fights on Mars and in Hell

OG DooM marine have that powers because of the limitaions of id Tech1

DooM³ engine, id Tech4 aims to create realstic way of gameplay.

Its kinda weird that the OG Doom guy carry superpowered BFG9000 without any speed reduction.....

On 2/12/2018 at 7:04 PM, GuyMcBrofist said:

If you consider Doom 3 to take place in an alternate timeline in the same universe as the Doom games, the OG Doomguy/Doomslayer could be the warrior depicted on the tablets that were dug up in the excavation sites, with the hell dimension being the bridge that connects each timeline. But then that would mean there are multiple Doomguys anyway, so the Doom 3 marine could in fact be the Doomguy, just a different incarnation in a world with different rules. A world that doesn't quite get itself as mixed up with the others as Doom 1/2/64/2016 seem to do.

First off this is just my opinion, and i know the thread is dead. I just needed to get this off my chest.

I seriously pray that the canon of Doom's universe is NOT an infinite Branching of timelines. In my opinion it's lazy, and easily allows the writer of the plot to be left with no accountability. it's hard for me to explain as to why, but it leaves the creators with a way to pull things out of their ass plot wise. like a bad soap. i also don't feel as invested emotionally to characters knowing they exist in another time. Personally i don't feel like the gravity of  an "apocalyptic scenario" really feels grave, as an example. when there's branching time lines i feel like "who cares it's in 1 timeline, there will always be another etc." it's fine that Marvel and DC did this. I'm not a fan of it, but it's fine.

Given that Doom 3 guy is on Mars while OG Doomguy is on Phobos/ Deimos, my head canon says no, he's not the same. This is an important distinction for one key point; it directly effects the start of the adventure. In Ultimate Doom (as in OG Doom either way), DG and his squad are called out of Mars to investigate and contain the situation in a base that has already been overrun. As the mission progresses, it becomes clear that you were all too late, and that there are no survivors. Deimos in fact is already in Hell itself. A very galactic apocalypse is well underway (both on the moons of Mars, as well as Earth). 

In Doom 3, the marine is more or less a security officer already stationed in the base when the attack hits. Many survivors still linger, and by the time of Resurrection of Evil, it becomes clear that the situation is fairly localized and contained to Mars alone. There is no apocalypse, only a containment breach. 

Not that I think iD cares enough about tying plot threads of previous games into the current structure. I think that as far as they might be concerned, Doom 2016 is a soft reboot with only passing references, not a hard core sequel to anything. So, like I said, head-canon is:

OG Doomguy: Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom (I guess?), Doom 64, Doom 2016 and now Doom Eternal. 
Doom 3 Guy: The right man in the wrong place. IE 'Just some dude'. 
Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil Combat Engineer: Another Dude. 

Fun consideration; What if the D3 expansion engineer becomes  a demon through the use of the Artifact, and down the timeline becomes The Wretch who Shall Not be Named, aka the guy who makes the Praetor suit? Might explain why the suit looks so...human in tech. 

I view the Doomguy as the equivalent of Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion.

Or to put it in Bioshock Infinite terms, "There's always a UAC, there's always a Doomguy, there's always a Hell."

Throughout all possible universes, UAC always releases Hell on Earth, and Doomguy is always there to stop it. It's written into the cosmos.

On 6/2/2019 at 7:46 AM, Hemavore said:

First off this is just my opinion, and i know the thread is dead. I just needed to get this off my chest.

I seriously pray that the canon of Doom's universe is NOT an infinite Branching of timelines. In my opinion it's lazy, and easily allows the writer of the plot to be left with no accountability. it's hard for me to explain as to why, but it leaves the creators with a way to pull things out of their ass plot wise. like a bad soap. i also don't feel as invested emotionally to characters knowing they exist in another time. Personally i don't feel like the gravity of  an "apocalyptic scenario" really feels grave, as an example. when there's branching time lines i feel like "who cares it's in 1 timeline, there will always be another etc." it's fine that Marvel and DC did this. I'm not a fan of it, but it's fine.

I think it's too late for that. The best we can hope for is a consistent canon going forward from Doom 2016 - which even then doesn't seem *too* concerned with any type of canon.

DooM 3 was meant as a reboot of the series, so it's a "new" marine all again, whose adventure was the same as the original, but with a twist. Like Gundam Seed to original Gundam. However, Doom 4 traced a story line across the games, implying the Slayer as OG Doomguy, so Doom 3 was kind of left as the odd, alternate universe, one.

At least that's how I saw it.

On 6/2/2019 at 5:46 AM, Hemavore said:

I seriously pray that the canon of Doom's universe is NOT an infinite Branching of timelines.

I never interpreted it as multiple timelines exactly, because from what we've seen there's only ever been one hell. It's more there are alternative dimensions, hell being one of them.

18 minutes ago, deepthaw said:

Or to put it in Bioshock Infinite terms, "There's always a UAC, there's always a Doomguy, there's always a Hell."

The way I've always seen it is there's always a UAC, but there's only one hell, and only one Doomguy. Across the dimensions hell will always invade via the UAC's technological experiments. In some dimensions, someone is able to stop the invasion (e.g. Doom 3), but in most they won't. OG Doomguy was originally from one of those dimensions, but now spends eternity traveling from dimension to dimension defeating hell wherever it invades.

I personally like this idea because it means every custom wad ever made a canonical part of Doomguy's ongoing war against hell, which sounds rather fun to me.

2 minutes ago, Bauul said:

I never interpreted it as multiple timelines exactly, because from what we've seen there's only ever been one hell. It's more there are alternative dimensions, hell being one of them.

The way I've always seen it is there's always a UAC, but there's only one hell, and only one Doomguy. Across the dimensions hell will always invade via the UAC's technological experiments. In some dimensions, someone is able to stop the invasion (e.g. Doom 3), but in most they won't. OG Doomguy was originally from one of those dimensions, but now spends eternity traveling from dimension to dimension defeating hell wherever it invades.

I personally like this idea because it means every custom wad ever made a canonical part of Doomguy's ongoing war against hell, which sounds rather fun to me.

I like that. Could be fun to see it used for a minor crossover, where you have to go to an Earth that failed to fend off the invasion.

Makes me feel bad for Doomguy though. He's been through some really, really bizarre and awful shit if every WAD is canon.

8 hours ago, Crackers0106 said:

Is the DOOM II marine the same as the marine in The Ultimate DOOM? The manual seems to suggest this.

Everything suggests he is. Inferno's end screen states that the next stop is "Hell on Earth!" and shows him arriving at earth, Thy Flesh Consumed doesn't fit anywhere so it's unlikely to be canon.

He has the same face and he's the only survivor on the lunar bases of the whole incident. (And was the only one to travel to earth in that case)

About the topic at hand, i have theorized that the Doom 3 marine is indeed a separate person from Doomguy, but he has indirectly met with Doomguy. Nearing the end of Doom 3, there's the sarcophagus with the image of the Doomguy fending off a wave of demons. That's likely where he was trapped, as the D2016 backstory tells us, so Doom 3 takes place not long before Doom 2016 occurs, when the Doomguy's sarcophagus is found and the new invasion starts. Doom 3 RoE doesn't have anything to do with Doomguy and he never appears.

2 hours ago, deepthaw said:

I like that. Could be fun to see it used for a minor crossover, where you have to go to an Earth that failed to fend off the invasion.

I like to think this is literally the plot of Doom Eternal.  Doomguy successfully fended off the invasion of hell in his original Earth (the plot of Doom 2), and via the events of Doom 64 and Doom 2016 ends up on a different Earth that looks rather worse for wear.

Of course id may decide to go down a totally different route, but for now I like to think it's all the same dude bouncing from wad to wad, fighting everything from Terry Traps to Illusio-Pits.

6 hours ago, -TDRR- said:

Everything suggests he is. Inferno's end screen states that the next stop is "Hell on Earth!" and shows him arriving at earth, Thy Flesh Consumed doesn't fit anywhere so it's unlikely to be canon.

He has the same face and he's the only survivor on the lunar bases of the whole incident. (And was the only one to travel to earth in that case)

About the topic at hand, i have theorized that the Doom 3 marine is indeed a separate person from Doomguy, but he has indirectly met with Doomguy. Nearing the end of Doom 3, there's the sarcophagus with the image of the Doomguy fending off a wave of demons. That's likely where he was trapped, as the D2016 backstory tells us, so Doom 3 takes place not long before Doom 2016 occurs, when the Doomguy's sarcophagus is found and the new invasion starts. Doom 3 RoE doesn't have anything to do with Doomguy and he never appears.

The manual says you landed in a drop pod from mars while in DOOM 1 you never were on mars and just got back to earth from hell.