Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomedSpartan

How can You make Whispers of Satan as an episode?

Ok so I was wondering if you can turn the Whispers of Satan Wad into an episode rather then having the wad replace your whole doom campaign?

Because I hate the fact that the wad replaces the campaing

How can I get it to be an episode????

On 6/5/2019 at 1:39 AM, DoomedSpartan said:

Ok so I was wondering if you can turn the Whispers of Satan Wad into an episode rather then having the wad replace your whole doom campaign?

Because I hate the fact that the wad replaces the campaing

How can I get it to be an episode????

I assume you are asking this just for your own personal amusement and not to release as your own "Whispers of Satan Episode" to the public. You can modify files for your own use all you want, but, obviously, you can't claim it as your own work and release/distribute it that way. You can't even change the original file (not claiming credit) and then release it to anyone else, either.

I also assume that you want to play it in Doom 2.

The simple answer is that you would need to open the WAD file and delete the maps that you don't want.

Did you want to just play the Hell episode? If so, then just delete Maps 1-19, 31-35, and 99. Then load it alongside the Doom 2 iwad and play Doom 2, with a Whispers of Satan Hell.

Or did you want to still have representatives from all the episodes, but just have an 11 episode long (for example) Whispers of Satan?

Yeah my own amusment

Ok I have my own doom set up with wads and I want To load the wads together But the bad thing about whispers of Satan Is that it changes The Title screen and replaces all the doom 2 levels instead of That I want to play doom 2 campaing and after Im done I want to play the 2nd campaign(whispers of satan)That like In the ultimate doom there are episodes well I want the wad to be an episode rather then replacing my campaign so what I just delete maps and it automatically turns into an episode titled Whispers of Satan?

Cuzz yeah thats what I want?

have an Episode titled whispers of Satan and have all the hell levels

10 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Did you want to just play the Hell episode? If so, then just delete Maps 1-19, 31-35, and 99. Then load it alongside the Doom 2 iwad and play Doom 2, with a Whispers of Satan Hell.

Yes Thats exactly what I want and have it as a separate episode Titled whispers of Satan

Yep just delete MAP01-19 and remove the music from D_RUNNIN to D_SHAWN2 (should be in correct order). D_MESSAG to D_OPENIN is the music from MAP20-30. Or just play something else like Scythe 2, the hell maps in that are just brutal.

I haven't played WOS for ages. Felt like it was the biggest failure in my mapping career because I tried too hard and was unmotivated at the same time because of personal issues and personal boredom led to boring maps. I still have to live with the fact symmetry even to this day even though other mappers also do the same at times but because it is pcorf well that is a different story because I was so critical back then. I'm not going to continue to criticize the rants because you just make a bad name for yourself and you just need to learn and accept it and move on from that and focus on your next goals. But I also recall there was a troll map named Whispers of Startan released 6 weeks later in 2009 to poke fun at the copy and paste. That has motivated me to just enjoy making maps in an unforced and thoughtful way bringing future releases such as Doomed Space Wars, Incineration and Zone 300. In the April Fools Startan Project I contributed a map for that project and named it The Real Whispers of Startan.

My advice is just start from MAP16 or even MAP20, there will be no 10th anniversary edition released although once I came close to releasing a new version that had a new MAP06 before that map was released as a stand alone as Processing Bunker. I do like the music though and there is a complete soundtrack using the Roland sound canvas SC-55 sounds (a much cleaner and clearer version of the Windows Roland midi sounds) coming to my Youtube channel eventually. MAP25 is my favorite personal map in WOS and MAP28 is the best overall hell map in WOS.

Edited by pcorf

Awesome So after I delete those maps it should appear as an episode.

Wow So your mapper I dont know squat about maping I just now How to edit sprites and Mod doom 3.And yeah dude I totally get you sometimes you can be unmotivated and things just go wrong 

On 6/7/2019 at 10:00 AM, DoomedSpartan said:

Awesome So after I delete those maps it should appear as an episode.

Based on what you've said, it looks like you still want to play the original 32 maps (Entryway through Icon of Sin plus the two secret maps) and then move on to the 11 Hell maps of Whispers of Satan. My experience in this area is limited, because you'll need to make a WAD with the Doom 2 maps as Maps 01 - 32, and then add Maps 20 - 30 of Whispers of Satan as Maps 33 - 44. That would limit you to the ZDoom family of ports (or maybe Eternity, too), but it can be done.

I don't think you'll be able to create a menu like there is in the first game where you can select the episode you want. That functionality wasn't in Doom 2, so I don't know if it can be added. You might be able to add a hub map that would let you select either Map 01 or Map 33, but that might be as close as you can get. Check out how one of the Doomworld Mega Project files is set up. Someone with more ZDoom/pk3 experience could chime in here, but I think what you want to do is, in at least some part, possible.

It's totally possible to do this with a MAPINFO lump, and yes it will be only compatible with ZDoom based sourceports.
You can go here to learn how to do this. wos.wad already has a MAPINFO you can edit.

In fact there is a little to do. Basiclly, after openning wos.wad in SLADE, you'll have to rename all entries that are allready present in doom2.wad (maps, musics and graphics) so they won't override those from doom2, and then give the proper names and new numbers in the MAPINFO definitions.

After that, add these lines at the beginning to define the two episodes (doom2 and wos) and their respective starting maps:

episode MAP01
name "Hell on Earth"

episode MAP33
name "Whispers of Satan"

And under "defaultmap", add these lines to modify the intermission's pic and music when playing WOS:

enterpic xxx (different than INTERPIC)
exitpic xxx (the same as above)
intermusic xxx (different than D_DM2INT)

Though the skies might be more tricky, because they are textures. The textures (in the TEXTURE1 lump, same names used in MAPINFO) must not be named SKY1 SKY2 SKY3 and the patches (graphics between PP_START and PP_END) must not be named RSKY1 RSKY2 RSKY3. Then you have to add the renamed patches to Patch Table (right-click > Graphic) and do the replacements for the skies that use them in the TEXTURE1 lump.
Maybe other new textures are named after those of Doom 2, and so will show in the Doom 2 campaign.

One last thing, in the DEHACKED lump delete the [STRINGS] section or it will override what is is defined in MAPINFO.

Note that at this stage the BOSSBACK graphic from WOS will still remain during the cast at the end of Doom 2. I think it would be more tricky to give each campaign its own BOSSBACK graphic.

Hope it helped.

The absolute easiest way is to copy all maps into your own WAD, then rename all MAPxx markers to something you can identify the WAD with, like WOSxx. Then simply set up the MAPINFO to begin a new episode at WOS01, and edit all the individual map entries.

Depending on the WAD, there may be additional graphics, textures or music to also include.

On 6/7/2019 at 2:44 AM, pcorf said:

I haven't played WOS for ages. Felt like it was the biggest failure in my mapping career because I tried too hard and was unmotivated at the same time because of personal issues and personal boredom led to boring maps. I still have to live with the fact symmetry even to this day even though other mappers also do the same at times but because it is pcorf well that is a different story because I was so critical back then.

Man, Whispers of Satan is amazing, I'm always coming back to play it! You shouldn't feel bad for it at all. 
I'm very glad you are making all these awesome maps to this day!

Edited by Noiser