Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revae

REKKR - V1.16

@Jon As far as I'm concerned it's free to share wherever. If it's included in Debian that's okay by me. I don't really know much about licensing. Right now the engine it DL's with as an IWAD is Chocolate Doom, which as far as I can tell from reading it's license, is okay to share so long as it's with the license and all pertinent information regarding acquiring the source etc... Also Chocolate Doom apparently already has a Debian package, so it must be okay. The wad file(s) itself is fine to include with whatever, so long as credit is kept intact. A fair few people worked on it and all.

Edited by Revae : grammer and typos

I really love this but I wonder: If you aren't supposed to be able to jump why do I constantly see items on ledges or on top of crates etc with no other possible way to get to them? Or am I missing something?

They must be accessable by another means. You'd have to cite examples for me to be able tell you the means though.

If you use your left fist for fast jabs and right for hard punches like here in REKKR and e.g. in STRAIN, you stand with your LEFT hand slightly forward and right hand slightly held back. Just look at boxers.

The only change I made was mirror the idle sprite of fists (PUNGA0).

P.S. Due to weapons being no hitscanners REKKR is good to play with Crispy Doom which has direct mouse vertical aiming available.

REKKR_1.17.zip

Edited by Zodomaniac : Fixed spelling

14 hours ago, Zodomaniac said:

If you use your left fist for fast jabs and right for hard punches like here in REKKR and e.g. in STRAIN, you stand with your LEFT hand slightly forward and right hand slightly held back. Just look at boxers.

The only change I made was mirror the idle sprite of fists (PUNGA0).

P.S. Due to weapons being no hitscanners REKKR is good to play with Crispy Doom which has direct mouse vertical aiming available.

Fair point. I wasn't really considering a realistic stance when making it, just offsetting the hands for asymmetry's sake. 

In recognition of an error made months ago, REKKR 1.16 is now on the gamers.org /idgames server. However, with Revae's permission, I uploaded a patch he made which fixes the reason REKKR was rejected from /idgames twice: three IWAD flats (CEIL4_1, CEIL5_1, F_SKY1) accidentally included in the PWAD. All three have been replaced with solid-color graphics, meaning it is now fully legal. I present it here as version 1.16a, and the REKKR website packages should be updated to match within the next few days.

It is awaiting processing at /idgames, but while it's waiting, you may download it from this post. Have a good day!

rekkr_116a.zip

For some reason, I can't get the red key in E4M9, because the gate won't open even after I stand in the pressure plate closet.
Is that because of GZDOOM? or is it only me that has this problem?

It's a puzzle. There are other pressure plates in that level, and if you select the wrong one the door still opens, but monsters spawn. Select the right one and the door opens with no monsters.

Hi. Maybe someone can help. I am running REKKR with lr-PrBoom on GPi Case Retropie. I converted the music into mp3 files (e1m1.mp3, e1m2.mp3, etc). But I can't get the music to play. The music plays on standard Doom. The music plays on other vanilla mod too like d4v.

On 9/4/2019 at 1:01 AM, mrkillerovsky said:

For some reason, I can't get the red key in E4M9, because the gate won't open even after I stand in the pressure plate closet.
Is that because of GZDOOM? or is it only me that ha

I don't know much about these newfangled mp3s and their various sources port compatability. But did you put them directly into the rekkr wad, and if so did you delete the original midis? Or did you have them as a separate wad, and is your load order correct?

Just noticed I quoted the wrong post... Whoops.

Edited by Revae : Whoops.

Just beat episode 1. At first I wasn't a big fan because the shotgun speed and the ammo conservation in the first few levels bothered me a bit. But once it grew on me and more weapons were introduced I was all in. E1M7 was especially impressive. 

I got the vanilla doom end text, I did have the dehacked file with the wad so what did I do wrong?

GZDoom 4.2.3 
Also I started it by draging the two files onto the GZDOOM exe, so maybe theres where the problem lies?

2 hours ago, BoJustBo said:

GZDoom 4.2.3 
Also I started it by draging the two files onto the GZDOOM exe, so maybe theres where the problem lies?

As far as i know, there is a dehacked lump inside the rekkersa.wad so you don't need to drag and drop it with rekkersa.wad becaus gzdoom will autoload it from inside the wad. But i stopped using gzdoom a few updates back, like 3.3.2, so the loading behaviour might had changed.
I'm playing it in Doom Retro and its plays without problem.
To see if the dehacked was loaded, just open the automap, if rekker map name is in it, the dehacked was loaded right and it will show the proper end screen.

Map names are working fine, but now I beat episode 2 and the same thing happened.
File I' using is just called REKKR.wad though.

I must say, when the boss changed its form my jaw dropped. That was pretty awesome.

3 hours ago, BoJustBo said:

GZDoom 4.2.3 

I just tested with 4.2.4 and, yeah it doesn't work anymore. Cool. There isn't really anything I can do about that other than file a bug report. There are other issues with newer versions of GZDoom as well. The menu item offsets are broken as well, for instance. Doesn't seem to be anything game breaking, though. Just game-fucking-up-a-little-bit-but-not-horribly.

So I guess use an older version. The last version I downloaded before this was 3.6.*something* and it worked fine. GZDoom is nice because you get the fancy brightmaps and decals, but damned if that bleeding edge doesn't cut both ways.

The exit door on e4m5 doesn't seem to open when the three buttons have been pressed. Looked up a video on youtube and I've done just like in the video where it worked just fine. Still in GZDoom 4.2.3

edit: Oh and episode 4 also showed the original doom end text again, weird that it worked on episode 3 but none of the others.

Edited by BoJustBo

13 hours ago, BoJustBo said:

The exit door on e4m5 doesn't seem to open when the three buttons have been pressed. Looked up a video on youtube and I've done just like in the video where it worked just fine. Still in GZDoom 4.2.3

edit: Oh and episode 4 also showed the original doom end text again, weird that it worked on episode 3 but none of the others.

Have youtried LZDoom? It has almost all the new gzdoom stuffs but its developed for low end computers. I played Rekker.wad and Rekkersa.wad and they played without problem there.
Pretty strange that gzdoom mess with dehacked info, its a bug that could break compatibility with almost anything out there released before 2019 :/

12 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Have youtried LZDoom? It has almost all the new gzdoom stuffs but its developed for low end computers. I played Rekker.wad and Rekkersa.wad and they played without problem there.
Pretty strange that gzdoom mess with dehacked info, its a bug that could break compatibility with almost anything out there released before 2019 :/

Ah, maybe worth checking out. Although of the 20-30 or so wads I've played in this version of GZDoom this was the first one to mess up. Maybe this one was the only one to use dehacked?

2 minutes ago, BoJustBo said:

Ah, maybe worth checking out. Although of the 20-30 or so wads I've played in this version of GZDoom this was the first one to mess up. Maybe this one was the only one to use dehacked?

Mmm, its hard to tell, basically, if a wad you played doesn't said ''only zdoom compatible'', it probably used dehacked in some way, for changing autom level names or for adding custom text screens, or even more things.
Try playing Struggle: Antaresian Legacy. Its a limit-removing megawad that heavyly uses dehacked for new monster behaviours and new weapons, aside from custom text screens and automap names.
You will notice almost instantly the differences, so if you doesn't note anything different than other Doom wads, then the dehacked is not working and its now a bug that really needs to be fixed in the next release.

Actually, Struggle is one I have played (well the first 10 maps anyways) in this version of GZDoom and as far as I could tell there was nothing wrong in it... Hmm, the problem must be more specific then I guess.

1 hour ago, BoJustBo said:

Actually, Struggle is one I have played (well the first 10 maps anyways) in this version of GZDoom and as far as I could tell there was nothing wrong in it... Hmm, the problem must be more specific then I guess.

No, no, sorry, i overlooked that you was playing a really heavy dehacked wad as Rekker is. I don't think it is specific, but well, only way to find out is play a megawad for UD and look at the text screens. Give a try to No End In Sight as it have new text screens and is an amazing good old style megawad.

8 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Bizarelly, the secret on E1M3 doesn't work as intended on GZDoom.

But it does work with Graf's older version of Rekkr

And with 1.16, it actually doesn't work on versions of GZDoom that were around when Rekkr was first released.

What is going on here?

Ah hell. I changed the way the combination locks work to simplify them and make it so they had less chance of being accidentally cheesed. Because the old method you could throw the switches a bunch and get the door to open. You can still do that, if the hitscan dummy raises past the triggers channel at just the same moment that it's firing, it's just less likely now. Apparently GZDoom's monsters can't target the player if they can't see them or some such? Something like that, so the hitscan dummy fires like 1 or 2 units too low or so.

I think GZDoom is a great port, but it's eccentricities make modding across source ports a pain. I get that a lot of options for Doom modding have opened up through zdoom derivatives because of these changes, but it's tricky for something so grossly hacked together.

You can still fall through the invisible floors in E3M4 too. Never found a good way to fix that.

This is fixable anyway. I don't think it'll effect the stability of the lock much to change it. Or maybe I'll come up with a better mechanism. I was just hoping not to have to release any more fixes until I get my E4 expansion done.

/walloftext

Edited by Revae : figured it out. hitscan dummy fires barely too low

11 hours ago, Revae said:

I was just hoping not to have to release any more fixes until I get my E4 expansion done.

/walloftext

More content to come? a proper E4 and not bonus maps?
Revae, you make my day ;)

EDIT: anyone tried to play this on vanilla/dosbox/Dos Doom?

Yah. The general plan is to perhaps sell REKKR + ep 4. Not going to charge a lot for it, since most of REKKR will still be free ofc. We'll see how that goes though. I've never sold a game, so it'll be interesting...

The plan is 3 1/2 new enemies (the 1/2 is more of an obstacle). 2 1/2 are already done-ish, and the third would be a boss. Looking into a new weapon (may or may not happen)... And then a new episode that replaces the bonus episode called "Sunken Land".

temp.png.eea4ec35b1e4c7b7d265177a33cf0feb.png

^ episode select graphic

EPjv4MjUYAAgIb1.jpg.82b664cb398ae1daf6290d07433657d2.jpg

^ some screenshots of areas in various levels of completedness

Still have to figure out some stuff about it all regarding legalities of engine use. Afaik GZDoom is the go-to due to being fully GPL, but I don't know if it's the only one. But I still want the iwad to still run vanilla if you feel like patching an old .exe - which I have seen people do.