Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egg Boy

Strange issue in GLBoom (involving skies)

I'm trying to use GLBoom more frequently because it handles large maps better at high resolutions, whereas prboom+'s framerate will dip in maps like map29 of Eviternity and map28 of Sunlust on 1080x1920. Anyway, I've noticed, on Eviternity specifically, the sky is tiled. This is a fresh download, I downloaded the newest version this morning so this doesn't seem like a bug on Firefly's (bug... firefly, haha) part. Perhaps I can fix this with something in the options menu?

From what I remember during the Eviternity development, GLBoom just doesnt handle skies right.  IIRC, the only GL based port than handles the skies in Eviternity correctly is GZDoom. 

@ukiro did the most investigation - can you shed some light mate?

I don’t remember what specifically it gets wrong, but indeed GLBoom was seemingly unfixable. I’m sure there’s a way to make a sky specifically for it, but then it’d look wrong in the other engines. For gzdoom we are able to serve a custom asset, However. 

This is might be extra tricky in Eviternity as we use skies that are taller than the vanilla 128 pixels, and a reason why this complaint is not that common. I suppose at 128 GLBoom renders skies properly enough. 

glboom+ skies don't play well with action 271 offsets (which eviternity uses to position skies). It's not unfixable, it just requires baking the offsets into the texture definitions instead of using the boom action. with some quick edits I was able to have it looking fine in prb+, glb+, zd, gzd.

7 hours ago, Ribbiks said:

glboom+ skies don't play well with action 271 offsets (which eviternity uses to position skies). It's not unfixable, it just requires baking the offsets into the texture definitions instead of using the boom action. with some quick edits I was able to have it looking fine in prb+, glb+, zd, gzd.

Any chance you can share this fix? Haha, PRboom doesn't like the later maps on my computer.

On 6/9/2019 at 5:47 PM, Ribbiks said:

I've noticed a few oddities on GZDoom as well with Eviternity's skies, like badly colored sky caps. Use of the offset in 271 actions would explain that.