Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xyzz

ZeniMax shutdown Doom Remake 4

https://www.moddb.com/news/doom-remake-4-shutting-down-due-to-legal-reasons

I have not played not known that much about this mod, but the fact that ZeniMax really started shutdown mods is crazy. The franchise is older than them, even actual modders have started modding even when they didn't even had the idea of forming a company.

What's going to happen next. Shutdown DoomWorld because it uses Doom logos?

I am also curious, what could have happened if they did not knew the real name of the Doom Remake 4 mod. What would they have done ? Besides asking the websites to delete its content.

Never heard of that mod, but honestly this situation looks basically identical to what Gearbox did with a fan remake of DN3D around the time DNF came out.

They were originally fine with it, only to eventually give the authors a C&D.

I'm curious, what this mod did that isn't done by other mods?

Why Doom Remake 4, not other famous mods?
Should we anticipate other such shutdowns?

Is it true that the author included the official iwads in the download? Never downloaded that garbage.

Vasyan777 (Doom Remake 4 creator) said that he included neural network upscaled vanilla DOOM textures in the package, so that might be the case.

The one rule id made about distributing modified IWAD content (like the upscaled sprites) was that it's allowed as long as it's for the IWAD the content is taken from. Which didn't stop people from using Hexen textures in Doom or whatever, but generally they let this kind of things slide.

But bundling Freedoom as the IWAD there just ignores this in an attempt at using a loophole around the "don't distribute commercial IWADs". And it's a dick move because it's the kind of things that can end up with Freedoom itself receiving a C&D.

To be honest though, the mod is kind of overrated.

Spoiler

How is this mod described itself as a remake when basically all the thing it did was replacing Doom weapons and monsters with 3D models and (imo) bad weapon sounds and (also imo) downgrading Doom textures/sprites?

Lots of bulls**t video settings (motion blur, anti-aliasing) are also turned on by default.

Spoiler

Not including the fact that the author also bundled the mod with some other mods like Ketchup/Droplets. Last time I checked the pk3 there was a ton of wads/pk3 inside it.

Yes I'm bias here, feel free to change my mind :P

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

This is just incredibly bizarre. I'm surprised it didn't get shut down earlier.

Wow what a suprise. Tried out this garbage, and i can confirm it was bad.

1 hour ago, DooM_RO said:

It's honestly kind of crap. 

In the video provided, thought the E3 sky texture was pretty cool tho. Wonder if that's available else. 

The rest of it, however, yeah... seemed a bit meh.

I've seen worse, but again I generally prefer the original low-res textures and sprites.

The drawbacks of this assembly is clumsy animation of models and completely unprofessional materials for textures. But in general, the mod is not bad. And I wouldn't call the work of the other modders, crap or garbage.

That mod looks whack, the stylized looking 3D models don't mesh with the turbo realistic textures and the blood is ridiculous.

And metal covers, because HARDCOAR.

This mod stolen assets compilation actually had a PC Gamer article published on it not long ago. That's probably how ZeniMax got to know about its existense. This "work of art" has Doom assets in it without actually requiring the iwads, so no wonder it received a C&D.

Edited by Li'l devil

That looks like Doomsday and Risen 3D but 50x uglier. It's like adding more makeup to something that looked fine already.

I don't get all the hate. I think with 3d models removed and combined with something more modern like Brutal Doom it looks quite nice

Personally i prefered some older build, where basically reflections only kicked in when using a flashlight mod. 

Out of curiosity, I downloaded the Experimental 1.18 release (I own physical copies of all the DOOM games, so if it contains IWADs I'm not intentionally pirating them).

Here's some stuff the official zip includes:

GZDoom g4.1.1
freedoom1.wad
freedoom2.wad
DOOM Metal music covers
IDKFA album by Andrew Hulshult
PS1 DOOM soundtrack in MP3 format
Sound Caulking PSX mod
smooth_slad_txt.wad, which is stored inside a file also called smooth_slad_txt.wad
30 different WADs containing stuff relating to gore, gibs, models, textures, sound effects, flashlights, DOOM 3 sound effects, Brutal DOOM "stuff", Bloom Boost, post processing, motion blur, and shaders, among other things

The original DOOM IWADs are not included.  DOOM Remake is basically a compilation of a gajillion different mods bundled with Freedoom and GZDoom.  However it does also contain modified DOOM assets and/or assets based on those from the registered game, and the infringing assets are fully functional in-game when it is running with Freedoom.

Good mod, bad mod... who cares. I'm getting tired of all the corporate bullying going on. Let us make mods in peace dammit. If they care enough to take stuff like this down they need to be making their own official remake.

4 hours ago, Nevander said:

Good mod, bad mod... who cares. I'm getting tired of all the corporate bullying going on. Let us make mods in peace dammit. If they care enough to take stuff like this down they need to be making their own official remake.

That work's if the mods are you, not just a copilation, also the marketing of this is a remake it's like, yes this is my take on my game, instead of you know, this is a modification of my games. 

I really, really hate when people compile stuff like this "Doom Remake" and include all that stuff that TheUltimateDoomer666 listed. It's shameless. Do you really think the author got permission from everyone, including Andrew Hulshult (maybe, he's lenient on this?) ?

Original untouched Doom looks and sounds best to me.

I'm glad that this "Mod" (compilation of mods and stuff) got taken down.

1 hour ago, eviltechno said:

I don't get all the hate. I think with 3d models removed and combined with something more modern like Brutal Doom it looks quite nice

Personally i prefered some older build, where basically reflections only kicked in when using a flashlight mod. 

This looks like heresy to me.

'cmon, people. the mod is abolutely tastless mess of various assets and ugly fx thrown together, but this is not the point of the post, i believe. the point is that once your doom-related work being highlighted in some media, you're in danger of zenimax anger. even if you'll be able to win a court case, it will be freakin' expensive. i think that this is damned wrong, and this is what @xyzz wanted to highlight.