Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Commander Keen — Official E3 Announcement

I'm a big fan of the original classics. This is downright embarrassing. Yahtzee's opening paragraph in his review of the Thief reboot aptly sums this up:

"Publishers these days tend to treat gaming history like a great big party buffet full of lovely dishes; they randomly pick a sherry trifle with some nostalgia value and name recognition, do a great big squirty dump into it, and then they push it back into our face going "Look, now there's more trifle! Give us cash!"

Edited by Ajora

Why did Billy and Billie's parents give them both almost the exact same name? That would undoubtedly make things very confusing for a lot of people. Were they trying to be cute? I'm probably thinking too much into this, but it's more thought than what was put into this game. 

edit: Wait, I just realized something. Seeing as how Commander Keen is Doomguy's father, and these two little shits are the offspring of the original Commander Keen, does that make this game's male protagonist Doomgu, AH, MY BRAIN. 

18 minutes ago, Glaice said:

It's a mobile game..

And...? What's your point?

What's wrong with it? The game looks cute enough for a mobile game. 

At first I was excited hearing the name Commander Keen again, even knowing it was a mobile game, and then I saw the gameplay and I was like nope. I actually said, "I'm sorry, Tom." out loud. I guess I was expecting something more faithful to the classics.

Shit, I didn't even notice that. I appreciate that the team working on Doom Eternal pays so much attention to this community and attempts to build upon the legacy of the IP, updating as needed and staying faithful in other places. This bullshit is just blasphemy; the mobile game industry is a fucking joke. RIP Dopefish.

Sorry for the double post, but it's no secret Massmouth is one of my favorite all time WAD series. So to see this...I dunno man. It just pisses me off.

retardedmassmouth.png

For me the worst part is that for a lot of people this will be their first experience with the Commander Keen series.

it's a game series from 1908 where you get wrecked by the underside of a propelled platform or by a kobold in a floral dress dude

i'm not sure how they could possibly update keen in a satisfactory way

To be fair, I do like those cartoon animations. The artist(s) behind this clearly put care into it and it shows imho. I would have very much preferred a 2D platformer in this style. Preferably with controls similar to „Goblin Sword“ the absolutely best platformer for iOS.

Yes, please look it up, it looks gorgeous, it plays well, no microtransactions and since I bought it, there were two new updates with two completely new worlds. It‘s the best mobile platformer imho. 

3 hours ago, HavoX said:

And...? What's your point?

Eh, not my thing. Why not have a platformer type for everyone to enjoy on other platforms other than mobile and not just the younger crowd?

Why? Who is this for? I get they are trying to cash in on the Keen franchise but as a f2p mobile game it'll be targeting people who have an almost surely 0% chance of ever having heard of Keen. Is it just a pretense to pump out a mobile game loaded with mtx? Maybe they're trying to leverage their Blades popularity as well? If this has no mtx then I actually have no idea why this exists. Why is this not a platformer that's on pc/switch/ps4/xbone/mobile? I'm so fucking confused.

I hope that the part showed in the gameplay section was from the beta works and they rushed out for showing their awesome Saturday morning cartoon trailer and the game bundled, otherwise this remake will be bad, real bad.

Also, i'm pretty afraid to think that there will be almost rule 34 fan arts of these two, if not already. Eww.

2 hours ago, xvertigox said:

Why? Who is this for? I get they are trying to cash in on the Keen franchise but as a f2p mobile game it'll be targeting people who have an almost surely 0% chance of ever having heard of Keen. Is it just a pretense to pump out a mobile game loaded with mtx? Maybe they're trying to leverage their Blades popularity as well? If this has no mtx then I actually have no idea why this exists. Why is this not a platformer that's on pc/switch/ps4/xbone/mobile? I'm so fucking confused.

You know, I was thinking almost the same thing!

I liked the animated trailer, probably the only thing made with some minimum effort in whole thing.

But resurecting Keen only to make a free to play cash grab to fish whales.... it doesn't make any sense at all. It's like smushing togheter Dungeon Keeper Mobile with the smufs moovie in hopes to cash on some vague nostalgia without effort. Hope it crashes and burn, just to stop Bethesta having "bright" ideas, because Keen doesn't deserve it.

After seeing the first trailer and thinking wow they put a lot of time and effort into this... then I saw the second trailer and it looks bad. Then again, Fallout: Vault was good if you're into the harvesting sort of game.

Edited by geo

10 hours ago, Johnatone said:

Sorry for the double post, but it's no secret Massmouth is one of my favorite all time WAD series. So to see this...I dunno man. It just pisses me off.

retardedmassmouth.png

That's a yorp.

26 minutes ago, Megalyth said:

That's a yorp.

Indeed it is. I should have picked up a new pair of nostalgia glasses while I was at Lenscrafters. Heat of the moment and all.

I have never played any Keen game (as I was born a few years after the last major Keen installment in 1991)

But I still sympathize with Keen fans. It truly sucks to have ones childhood era franchise being tarnished like that.

10 hours ago, yakfak said:

i'm not sure how they could possibly update keen in a satisfactory way

How about an open world 3D platformer that combines the entire original series into one cohesive package and includes a simple crafting system, new story elements, and expands and enhances on the original, and is on actual PC and consoles? That would be a much better way of bringing the franchise to a new generation, and they could still get their microtransactions with DLC and silly costumes.

13 hours ago, Ajora said:

Why did Billy and Billie's parents give them both almost the exact same name? That would undoubtedly make things very confusing for a lot of people. Were they trying to be cute? I'm probably thinking too much into this, but it's more thought than what was put into this game. 

No shit. I've met a lot of twins and they usually have similar names but not the exact names, at least, I haven't run into any yet. Four better combinations I can think of off the top of my head: Billy and Lilly, Billy and Tilly, Billy and Becky, Billy and Bobbie.

Keen 4 was one of the first games I ever played back in 93/94 so this was surprising news.

This may not be the way I wanted to see Keen come back, but a part of me is glad that someone is giving a shit about the franchise. The last thing we ever got was the Keen Dreams re-release on Steam with the achievements and stuff. That was pretty cool but it seemed to be the end for the Keen series. I gave up on the Keen 6 re-release long ago, let alone a remake of all 7 episodes for modern hardware.

Hopefully the game turns out ok even if it's not what Keen gameplay used to really be. I liked the animation in the trailer and the fact they used original monsters (even with the altered designs). I hope Classic Keen gets some love eventually.

I'm gonna not say a single word on the art style and focus on the main aspect of any game: Gameplay.

...Gameplay looks slow, dull, and uninspired.  Pass.

Wtf is this shit? I’m not a fan of the new art style and the gameplay looks like total shit. Keen deserves a modern instalment that feels (and looks) something more along the lines of Cuphead, not whatever that snoozefest gameplay was supposed to be that they were showcasing.

Flat out embarrassing.