Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Touchdown

Cyberpunk 2077 [first-person RPG]

A brand new first-person RPG from CD PROJEKT RED, blah blah blah, who needs descriptions when you've got 48min of pure gameplay?

I was expecting more of a GTA influence and less of a Fallout one, but I'm very impressed by what I watched earlier. No idea what all the complaints about SJW infiltration were about, but I'm guessing it's almost certainly nothing at all. There also seemed to be a lot of comments during the live stream that were complaining about "Gameboy quality graphics". I find it disheartening that people growing up in this era will dismiss a game for having this level of graphical fidelity. The game looks fantastic in pretty much every way possible. 

2 hours ago, Ajora said:

I was expecting more of a GTA influence and less of a Fallout one, but I'm very impressed by what I watched earlier. No idea what all the complaints about SJW infiltration were about, but I'm guessing it's almost certainly nothing at all. There also seemed to be a lot of comments during the live stream that were complaining about "Gameboy quality graphics". I find it disheartening that people growing up in this era will dismiss a game for having this level of graphical fidelity. The game looks fantastic in pretty much every way possible. 

Just assume everybody is a retard and you'll be pleasantly surprised like 5% of the time

You know sometimes when people around you spot something interesting and point in a direction, but you just can't see it?

You try your best to angle and align with them, trying to figure out what they're looking at but you fail....and almost start to wonder if they're playing a cruel joke on you.

That's me with this game. I don't see anything in there that looks remotely interesting.

I'm not saying it looks bad or anything (well, anything that isn't related to the embarrasing 15yo level of writing for the characters that most mainstream shooters suffer from)...but I don't see anything particular interesting or impressive that other games don't also do as well?

Maybe I need to watch it again. I don't know. Sometimes it's just your time to be that guy. The one that doesn't "get it".

2 hours ago, Shaviro said:

You know sometimes when people around you spot something interesting and point in a direction, but you just can't see it?

You try your best to angle and align with them, trying to figure out what they're looking at but you fail....and almost start to wonder if they're playing a cruel joke on you.

That's me with this game. I don't see anything in there that looks remotely interesting.

I'm not saying it looks bad or anything (well, anything that isn't related to the embarrasing 15yo level of writing for the characters that most mainstream shooters suffer from)...but I don't see anything particular interesting or impressive that other games don't also do as well?

Maybe I need to watch it again. I don't know. Sometimes it's just your time to be that guy. The one that doesn't "get it".

Have you played the PnP game? Or even just read through the game books (Cyberpunk 2020) by Mike Pondsmith?

Do you like games like Deus Ex but wish it was more open and had combat less clunky?

Do you like Ghost in the Shell?

Do you like the cyberpunk setting in general? Like, a lot?

Personally speaking, as someone who played the PnP game a few times, but read through the books more, and as someone who adores the cyberpunk setting and things like GitS, this game is like my wet dream.

This is something I've been waiting for since the original Cyberpunk box set came out....I watched the 50 minute play video and it exceeds my expectations.

I wish they had the Shadowrun license, but it tingles all the right receptors. I find the expository voiceover explaining every detail and nuance annoying. Let the game itself do the talking.

On 8/29/2018 at 5:43 PM, Shaviro said:

I'm 'that guy' like 90% of the time so I can sympathize. :)

For me it's a combination of a few things. I'm a huge DX fan and I always wanted to try something like Witcher. But I really don't like TPP games. So this is kind of like a bigger DX AND it's first-person which makes me very interested.

Thanks for the answers :)

In reference to the questions in the first reply; I'm an outsider looking in, so that may be part of the issue.

I'll see where it all goes in later trailers etc :)

The overall theme brings back memories or the 1997 Blade Runner game on PC, which I enjoyed back in the day, and also Snatcher for Sega CD which I've wanted to play but never have. I might get this.

On 8/27/2018 at 2:44 PM, Ajora said:

Nah man, there is no SJW infiltration. Some people just see a minority in a movie or game and cry "Teh SJWs are ruining gaming/movies" when there is nothing to complain about in the first place.

Look at the new Doom trailer with that comment about demons being mortally challenged. There are literally people preaching about how "Bethesda" is "Pwning SJWs le epic style" despite the same guys rioting last year when Wolfenstein II had you killing Nazis.

They made a 'did you just assume their gender' joke on Twitter and SJWs got all offended, as they always do, so CDP deleted that tweet and issued an apology, which was pretty damn retarded.

Then there's this gem from Eurogamer where the idiot doing an interview apparently thought it was very important to relentlessly pry for the first SEVEN questions about identity politics.

What a time to be alive.

On 8/31/2018 at 3:06 AM, Doominator2 said:

Nah man, there is no SJW infiltration. Some people just see a minority in a movie or game and cry "Teh SJWs are ruining gaming/movies" when there is nothing to complain about in the first place.

Look at the new Doom trailer with that comment about demons being mortally challenged. There are literally people preaching about how "Bethesda" is "Pwning SJWs le epic style" despite the same guys rioting last year when Wolfenstein II had you killing Nazis.

On 8/31/2018 at 7:19 PM, Touchdown said:

They made a 'did you just assume their gender' joke on Twitter and SJWs got all offended, as they always do, so CDP deleted that tweet and issued an apology, which was pretty damn retarded.

^ Pretty much what happened.

I think Sid did a good job explaining this crap, for those who missed this mess. Indeed Touch, what a time to be alive...

Spoiler

Is it sad that I've watched the 45 min Cyberpunk gameplay footage like 3 times now lol? I just can't get enough of it. For those that got bored I should point out it gets way better after the opening 10-15min mission. Takes me back to so many films like blade Runner, Minority Report, Judge Dread 90s and especially 2012 version, 5th element etc. Reminds me that I need to check out that recent cyberpunk TV show called Altered Carbon! Mates keep talking about it being really good.

I play a lot of futuresynth, 80s synth, retro synth music on youtube and the videos are often accompanied by cool animations of retro futuristic cars driving through cyberpunk style dystopian cities at night with glowing blue and purple nights. In the Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay footage when you see them get in the retro sportscar and drive around the city GTA5 style I knew right away that there's gonna be moments where I break off from the main game just go for a drive at night playing some tunes haha.

it looks good in some ways

on the other hand the characters use zero interesting slang and act like mobsters lol

i don't trust cyberpunk in the hand of big money developers, it's just gonna be watch_dogs again

On 8/31/2018 at 12:19 PM, Touchdown said:

You ever consider that maybe, sometimes, people have a good reason to be upset, even just by a "joke"? That one in particular has a history of being used to demean trans people, so it's not like they're being unreasonable when they're upset by it.

EDIT: Realizing just now that this post was made a few months ago. Woops.

Edited by TheMightyHeracross

12 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

You ever consider that maybe, sometimes, people have a good reason to be upset, even just by a "joke"? That one in particular has a history of being used to demean trans people, so it's not like they're being unreasonable when they're upset by it.

But the guy who made it was supposedly fired afterwards, isn't losing your job a bit too much though?

Didn't know that part, only that they apologized and deleted it. But remember that his job is to promote the game, and he should have known that making a controversial, semi-political joke that has roots in transphobia was inevitably going to be divisive. Regardless of your opinion on the matter, that's bad for business. 

I doubt he was actually fired for being accused of transphobia and more for just potentially losing sales.

1 hour ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

Didn't know that part, only that they apologized and deleted it. But remember that his job is to promote the game, and he should have known that making a controversial, semi-political joke that has roots in transphobia was inevitably going to be divisive. Regardless of your opinion on the matter, that's bad for business. 

I doubt he was actually fired for being accused of transphobia and more for just potentially losing sales.

Never said he did a good thing to make such a joke.

I am not sure whether the person was indeed fired, it's just what I have been hearing and reading after the incident. May or may not be true.

1 hour ago, seed said:

But the guy who made it was supposedly fired afterwards, isn't losing your job a bit too much though?

13 minutes ago, seed said:

I am not sure whether the person was indeed fired, it's just what I have been hearing and reading after the incident. May or may not be true.

🙄

14 minutes ago, Linguica said:

🙄

That's why I said "supposedly".

AFAIK he was fired for having a bad history with tweeting dumb shit. Bye bitch. 

Ooh, hadn't seen the trailer for this. Other than the dialogue being adolescent drivel -- as for the larger story, can't tell from what's shown -- looks good to me.

Gameplay reminds of a GTA, Fallout, Deux Ex and Dishonored cross -- apart from GTA all games I really like.  The city design is cool and not quite the totally cliche cyberpunk metropolis.   Very ambitious to have so many gameplay mechanics in a single game, it'll be bloody hard getting them all up to scratch. Looks a good job so far!

I have to say that I'm not a fan of the current state of “realistic” graphics. Uncanny valley comes to mind. I'd prefer an art style that is slightly more abstract.

And I'm not a huge fan of pre-ordering a game almost a year before the release.