Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

Loving the return of the "unf unf unf"s

Glad to see they brought back a small but important part of DOOM guy's personality... audible grunts, screams, and unf's (wall humpers unite!).

My only thought on it was, from the E3 presentation, it sounded more like a classic or DOOM 3 Marine voice and while that's probably-maybe-exactly who he is all along, I was kind of thinking since he had evolved into Doom Slayer all this time later, and after years of all the carnage and psychological torment he's been through (as well as age) battling Hell over and over and over, that it would be much more grizzly, deeper and resonating expressions that we'd hear. Somewhat more along the lines of DOOM from Quake 3 Arena's roar, yelps, and grunts.... like that of someone who has gone absolutely barbaric & crazed from it all.

Any other thoughts on this?

I appreciate the return of pain grunts for the sake of hopefully making it easier to tell that you take hits (provided the grunts don't get drowned out by other sound effects).

That said, they need to make the Slayer sound more badass; right now he sounds too much like a regular guy going "ow" for my tastes.

To be honest I didn't like them. Stoic protagonists don't flinch, they just kill.

I didn't like it either, and it's even too loud. Bringing just the death scream back again I think it would've been enough. 

1 hour ago, Urthar said:

To be honest I didn't like them. Stoic protagonists don't flinch, they just kill.

He's not a serial killer like Jason Voorhees, where I'd expect such to be creepy silent.

Despite being a very capable killing machine, we must not forget.. He is human after all.

This is one of my highligths for me, getting the grunt's after figthing it's just like, you just hit me, i will hit you harder

I like this change as well, although they do seem a bit too loud and the voice doesn't sound quite as tough as I would expect from someone who has been fighting monsters across the universe for centuries.

2 minutes ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

If anything, I almost got Doom 3 marine vibes... 

Same. Sounded like D3 marine more than all else.

1 hour ago, Buckshot said:

He is human after all.

But here's the thing: How much humanity is left in the Slayer?

I was just thinking about this, let's not forget that, after all, we're talking about someone who has done nothing but killing for aeons before being put to rest temporarily by being trapped inside a coffin, only to resume his monster killing spree immediately after escaping.

There's only so much a man can bear before some irreversible changes take place.

1 minute ago, ShadesMaster said:

I dunno, I like his grunts here and they sound TOUGHER than og doom's ones. <3

Eergh.

I know that it's not the topic, but the HUD seems quite visually invasive as well. Even the weaponry circle is very colorful.

I had one second of annoyed confusion and dislike, but then I really liked it. It's one of those things that IMO are incredibly stupid when you watch gameplay but will be massively useful when you actually play the game.

In Doom 2016 I often die because I really don't pay attention to anything except getting demons in my crosshairs and smashing everything that blinks blue-orange. Some good noticeable audio cues will help me out greatly.

48 minutes ago, Martin-CAI said:

I know that it's not the topic, but the HUD seems quite visually invasive as well. Even the weaponry circle is very colorful.

I kind of like the colour coding of the weapon circle. It shows which weapons use which ammo types so you can quickly switch it to a certain weapon with more ease than before when every gun was the same dull blue.

I'm glad the pain sounds return.  If there's one thing Doom 2016 lacked, it was damage feedback.  Kinda why I never got into multiplayer, because I'd go into a fight thinking I'm doing good, and then suddenly I'm dead, not aware that I'm taking a metric f*ckton of damage.  This is a welcome change, in my book.

2 hours ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

If anything, I almost got Doom 3 marine vibes... 

EDIT: NVM, Id reuses sounds which explains my idiocy.

Edited by Johnatone

I don't like this return of pain sounds. 2 points:

1) They're absent in Doom 2016

2) It makes me feeling Doom Slayer weaker. The man who doesn't make noises when got hurt - it's creepy and brutal.

Definitely will do (or wait) a mod which disables pain sounds.

But anyway, is this the Serious Sam voice actor?

4 hours ago, seed said:

But here's the thing: How much humanity is left in the Slayer?

I was just thinking about this, let's not forget that, after all, we're talking about someone who has done nothing but killing for aeons before being put to rest temporarily by being trapped inside a coffin, only to resume his monster killing spree immediately after escaping.

There's only so much a man can bear before some irreversible changes take place.

Let's see it this way: in Doom 2016 he's groggy as hell and kills like there's no tomorrow for breakfast. In Eternal he's fully awoken and in a better mood now that the rustiness has been shaken out. Besides:

Spoiler

Daisy is alive and well!

I dont like the pain sounds, i dont like the hud because is ugly and i dont like the cartoony enourmous pickups :( I also dont like seeing Doomguy face

21 minutes ago, D88M3R said:

I dont like the pain sounds, i dont like the hud because is ugly and i dont like the cartoony enourmous pickups :( I also dont like seeing Doomguy face

I don't like your post

25 minutes ago, D88M3R said:

I'm expecting some of the effects (like those seen on the power ups) to be toggleable.

2 hours ago, seed said:

I'm expecting some of the effects (like those seen on the power ups) to be toggleable.

Me too. It'd be really good to be able to edit certain aspects of the HUD as well

It's awesome that those sounds are making a comeback, I just think they don't sound right. I never really expected Doom Slayer to have sort of a normal voice, idk. I always expected it to be a lot deeper/tougher. Maybe even almost demonic

It's still really cool though

I really dig it as well.  The more audio feedback the better IMO, especially if it's a throwback to the original like this!